Open TigerLinks

Media Pre-Season Predictions for Tiger Basketball
Bookmark and Share
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
MyBB Media Pre-Season Predictions for Tiger Basketball
It is early, but media member predictions for Tiger basketball are present.

Here is a list (feel free to add):
1. Mark Giannotto - 16-15 overall record and 7-11 AAC record next season.
2. Jon Rothstein - 9th AAC place
3. CBS Sports - 9th AAC Place
4. Athlon - 12th (last) AAC place
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 07:52 AM by Tiger1983.)
09-03-2017 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
RE: Media Pre-Season Predictions for Tiger Basketball
So yesterday the OP starts the Athlon 12th place finish thread. And today this one. Yet he tries to tells us he's not obsessed with Tubby, and wants only the best for the program.

One trick pony.
09-03-2017 04:15 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
If any of those predictions come true, l don't want to see a year 3 from Tubby.
09-03-2017 04:18 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(09-03-2017 04:18 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  If any of those predictions come true, l don't want to see a year 3 from Tubby.

I am glad to hear it. I am also curious how the "wait and see" posters would feel about a 500 or worse record in conference? Would that finish up the "wait and see" process or would they just twist it to "he needs more time"?
09-03-2017 04:20 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(09-03-2017 04:15 PM)Tigx Wrote:  So yesterday the OP starts the Athlon 12th place finish thread. And today this one. Yet he tries to tells us he's not obsessed with Tubby, and wants only the best for the program.

One trick pony.

I was unaware of this ^. I've cut way back on both viewing the board and posting. But I must say you bring up a good point.
09-03-2017 04:22 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(09-03-2017 04:20 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 04:18 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  If any of those predictions come true, l don't want to see a year 3 from Tubby.

I am glad to hear it. I am also curious how the "wait and see" posters would feel about a 500 or worse record in conference? Would that finish up the "wait and see" process or would they just twist it to "he needs more time"?

Dude it's gonna be a rough season. I'm not sure we'll be .500. You can't rebuild an entire team in late April and do much better.

I'm more concerned with player development. See if any of these guys can play. If they're pretty much all duds, we're in big trouble. I don't think that will be the case, but it's an uncertainty at this time.

Next, I'll see how his 2018 class comes out. If it doesn't address our weaknesses, we're in trouble.

I'm giving the guy until year three to join the lynch mob. We'll see if he can get it done.
09-03-2017 04:27 PM
Advertisement

jgardne Offline
Heisman

If we finish last in the AAC . . . I mean, wow. To even be predicted that low is pretty sobering
09-03-2017 04:42 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

I'm not really bashing you with my response and I hope you don't take it that way, but...I don't need any help in figuring out or determining whether a basketball coach has it or doesn't have it, as far as being the Memphis coach. I know basketball. Now, ask me to tell you about hockey, or soccer, or play any musical instrument or read music, or help you with math homework, I'm not your guy and never would claim to be.
But those predictions of our record would be horrible, and totally unacceptable. Those records wouldn't show improvement. Those records would show a program going the wrong way. None of those records have happened yet, obviously. I want the results/records to be posted and proven out first, then I can speak with conviction.

Also, I seriously doubt any poster here waiting prior to proclaiming and judging, would spin it like you mentioned above. I've said countless times on here, but basically never get credit for it, that I will bash the heck out Tubby if he isn't getting the job done. I know what a good product looks like. The clock always starts on a coach in year two. It's time to get the job done.
09-03-2017 04:49 PM
ncrdbl1 Online
Legend

(09-03-2017 04:27 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  

Dude it's gonna be a rough season. I'm not sure we'll be .500. You can't rebuild an entire team in late April and do much better.

I'm more concerned with player development. See if any of these guys can play. If they're pretty much all duds, we're in big trouble. I don't think that will be the case, but it's an uncertainty at this time.

Next, I'll see how his 2018 class comes out. If it doesn't address our weaknesses, we're in trouble.

I'm giving the guy until year three to join the lynch mob. We'll see if he can get it done.

Do not consider it rebuilding when you run off 80% of the team and replace them with lesser talent.

Worst part is no one actually wanted this job due to demands of fans base after injury prone 18 and 19 win seasons. Even with a talented team returning.

No proven coach will even consider this job after the program is depleted of all it's talent and area talent alienated. Top 10 recruiting class with in a tank of gas from campus and we may get shut out across the board.
09-03-2017 04:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

You make good points here. But I'm not going to except coming in last and getting curb stomped. We must show we are competitive and we must have a respectable record. If players are improving, our record is respectable, and he lands some good recruits, I will be fine with Tubby and really looking forward to year three.
09-03-2017 04:56 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(09-03-2017 04:56 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  

You make good points here. But I'm not going to except coming in last and getting curb stomped. We must show we are competitive and we must have a respectable record. If players are improving, our record is respectable, and he lands some good recruits, I will be fine with Tubby and really looking forward to year three.

That's about where I'm at too. But you have to remember the entire team has a cumulative 3 years of D1 experience (and these guys aren't Cal's one and dones). If some of the guys don't step up, then we are in real trouble for 2018. We've only got 3 open scholarships, although some more usually open up in the spring.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 05:00 PM by memtiger1987.)
09-03-2017 05:00 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-03-2017 04:07 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  It is early, but media member predictions for Tiger basketball are present.

3. Athlon - 12th (last) AAC place

I remember another media prediction of a 9th AAC place finish, but I can not recall the source.

How many threads are you going to start with this nonsense? Didn't you just post the Athlon thread yesterday? So you repeat it here? I think troll is the word.......
09-03-2017 05:01 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

If you've been paying any attention to any of the multiple, the sky is falling, prediction threads (& you have because you have been participating in the trolling) you would have to conclude that having a 10-3 or 9-4 OOC record would require a losing record in-conference to finish with 16-18 wins overall. So I think the "wait and see" posters understand this without the continued droning on, trolling.
09-03-2017 05:07 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(09-03-2017 05:01 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 04:07 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  It is early, but media member predictions for Tiger basketball are present.

I remember another media prediction of a 9th AAC place finish, but I can not recall the source.

How many threads are you going to start with this nonsense? Didn't you just post the Athlon thread yesterday? So you repeat it here? I think troll is the word.......

I thought the last place prediction was surprising (even to me) and should be balanced with other sources in one place.

The independently derived and objective results may be ugly. You may wish to consider avoiding the thread if it upsets you.
09-03-2017 05:12 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(09-03-2017 05:00 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 04:56 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  

That's about where I'm at too. But you have to remember the entire team has a cumulative 3 years of D1 experience (and these guys aren't Cal's one and dones). If some of the guys don't step up, then we are in real trouble for 2018. We've only got 3 open scholarships, although some more usually open up in the spring.

A good friend of mine just sent me a text and informed me that the last time Tubby was picked to come in last he beat multiple ranked teams in a very tough conference and made the NCAA tournament. A very good point by my friend. Obviously it's something to keep in mind. I'm leaning towards the team doing pretty good and several of these players playing well. I have a feeling we are going to really like Nickleberry, Thornton, Davenport, and Brewton and maybe a couple more. I know Jeremiah Martin will impress too.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 05:36 PM by Joe1.)
09-03-2017 05:22 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(09-03-2017 04:54 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

Do not consider it rebuilding when you run off 80% of the team and replace them with lesser talent.

Worst part is no one actually wanted this job due to demands of fans base after injury prone 18 and 19 win seasons. Even with a talented team returning.

No proven coach will even consider this job after the program is depleted of all it's talent and area talent alienated. Top 10 recruiting class with in a tank of gas from campus and we may get shut out across the board.
I am not giving him a pass for year 2. It was his decision to punt season 1 since he had no expectations and took a year long vacation.
09-03-2017 05:43 PM
Advertisement

Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs

Wow!!!
09-03-2017 06:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(09-03-2017 05:43 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 04:54 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

I am not giving him a pass for year 2. It was his decision to punt season 1 since he had no expectations and took a year long vacation.

Seriously man, you responded to a joke of a post and an individual that was Josh's biggest cheerleader. You're better than that.
09-03-2017 06:09 PM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

It's Crystal Ball time again. Geez.
09-03-2017 06:51 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
I've been looking at our schedule (taking it game by game) and seeing us finish 8th or 9th for weeks now. I don't think Last place is correct.

I mean this prediction cannot be taking into account the 'coaching up'.
I'm being serious. I thought that talent of Tubby's was just a given in all circles.
09-03-2017 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.