Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tribe in professional baseball
Bookmark and Share
WillaMary08 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WillaMary
Maybe there is a thread for former Tribe players in the pros but I didn't want to dig and find it. A recap of this past season:

Ryan Hissey registered 199 plate appearances across 4 teams last year, the majority of those appearances coming in the Midwest League where he was almost two years older than league average. In 134 plate appearances he put up a .254/.313/.356 batting line, hitting two home runs.

Cullen Large played in the Northwest League, where he was average in age, and hit 246/.356/.325 with 8 doubles, 1 triple, and 3 stolen bases across 151 plate appearances. He walked 18 times versus 28 strikeouts.

Nick Raquet started 11 games in the NY-Penn league, where he was league-average age. Over 51.1 IP he gave up 56 hits and 7 walks while striking out 22 and compiling a 2.45 ERA. I read in Baseball America that some evaluators like him more than Nationals first rounder Seth Romero.

Mitchell Aker appeared in 15 games (9 starts) over three different levels, with the majority of the innings coming in the Northwest League where he was a year and a half older than the league average. In the Northwest League he gave up 43 hits and 9 walks in 34.1 innings, striking out 25 and compiling and ERA of 7.86. I read recently that the Diamondbacks have released him.

Nick Brown pitched in the Appalachian League where he was a year older than the league average. Over 11 games (7 starts) he compiled a 3-1 record and a 3.93 ERA. Over 50.1 IP he gave up 49 H and 15 BB while striking out 54.

Aaron Fernandez appeared in 15 games in the Gulf Coast League, where he was a year and a half older than league average, and put up a 4.21 ERA over 25.2 IP, recording 24 strikeouts while allowing 13 walks and 26 hits.
10-05-2017 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Tribe in professional baseball
Thanks for compiling that research. Based on that data, it looks like Raquet is the only one who has a shot at moving up the ranks. The rest of them... if you're already older than your teammates in A ball, and your numbers aren't jumping off the page, it may be time to look for another line of work.
10-05-2017 02:24 PM
Pete24 Offline
Bench Warmer

That's some great research!
Another former Tribe player of note is Will Rhymes, who is now employed as a Scout with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Rhymes was drafted from W&M in 2005 and played three seasons in the majors (130 games) at second base with the Tigers and Rays from 2010-2012.
And former Tribe baseball coach Jim Farr is now a Scout with the Kansas City Royals.
10-09-2017 06:58 AM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
Tribe baseball is on the rise and the best bet for national recognition.
10-09-2017 10:02 AM
Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
SoCal,
we just need to pay the coaches more. We've had great success starting with Farr, but we can't keep anyone around other than the guy we fired from Rhode Island. Alumni have done their best with Plumeri and the indoor batting facility, but paying coaches the same as a high school PE teacher isn't going to cut it long term
10-09-2017 12:06 PM
tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
I thought baseball, golf and tennis teams have better resources than other Olympic sports due to contributions from Plumeri and McCormack. Anyway, coaches can make a big difference as our field hockey team has shown.
10-09-2017 01:20 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

Yeah $67,000 for a head coach isn't much. It's more than a PE teacher makes, but not enough to retain a winner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
10-09-2017 02:03 PM
Tribe32 Online
All American

PE Teacher in northern virginia makes more than 67k with some tenure equal to the tenure of the WM coach. Just think about that for a minute.

(10-09-2017 02:03 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Yeah $67,000 for a head coach isn't much. It's more than a PE teacher makes, but not enough to retain a winner.

10-09-2017 05:59 PM
Tribal Offline

(10-09-2017 05:59 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  PE Teacher in northern virginia makes more than 67k with some tenure equal to the tenure of the WM coach. Just think about that for a minute.

(10-09-2017 02:03 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Yeah $67,000 for a head coach isn't much. It's more than a PE teacher makes, but not enough to retain a winner.

Well, he lives in James City County not NoVA.

10-09-2017 06:12 PM
Tribe32 Online
All American

Okay, do the math. It isn't that different. Bottom line is that our coaches are underpaid. If you want to argue that, please do so instead of trying to out post me.

(10-09-2017 06:12 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 05:59 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  PE Teacher in northern virginia makes more than 67k with some tenure equal to the tenure of the WM coach. Just think about that for a minute.

10-09-2017 06:36 PM
Tribal Offline

(10-09-2017 06:36 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Okay, do the math. It isn't that different. Bottom line is that our coaches are underpaid. If you want to argue that, please do so instead of trying to out post me.

Geezus, I agreed our coaches are underpaid.

But, when you try to compare income in NoVA to income in JCC, like they're equal, you come off like a door-to-door salesman.

I don't need to do the math to know that a $300,000 home in JCC would sell for $600,000 in my neighborhood and clear in excess of 1mil inside the beltway.

I receive notes all of the time from people frustrated by the bad information passed along on this message board. More and more people float pure BS in an effort to make a point. I'm just more likely to call you on it because I have an aggressive personality and don't care if it hurts your feelings.

Murphy is way underpaid in terms of what most probably feel he's worth. He accepted a certain salary so he obviously feels satisfied. That's between him and the university. Who knows, maybe he'll quit and go get him one of those sweet PE jobs in Arlington with the cushy perks. Same salary, right?

10-09-2017 08:10 PM
Advertisement

tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
Just compare our coaches' salary to other CAA schools. If we really want to succeed, we need to pay better. I think "For the Bold" campaign is trying to endow our coaches' salary.
10-09-2017 09:18 PM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Wm and Mary, like many other schools, is a stepping stone for ambitious coaches. They're here to earn their spurs, make a name, and move on. Those who can pull this off, do so. Others, adapt to a semi retirement, get along and go along, and run out the string. This is the way it works. I wish it wasn't so; that Coach Murph was making $167,000. He deserves it; but, to make it, will have to be elsewhere. In the meantime let's enjoy the fruits of his talent in running our little show.
10-10-2017 10:49 AM
Tribe32 Online
All American

Thanks for the reply. I have thick skin.

Maybe the correct comparison is that the coach makes only a little bit more than a PE teacher in Williamsburg. Enough said and we each get the other's points.

(10-09-2017 08:10 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 06:36 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Okay, do the math. It isn't that different. Bottom line is that our coaches are underpaid. If you want to argue that, please do so instead of trying to out post me.

Geezus, I agreed our coaches are underpaid.

But, when you try to compare income in NoVA to income in JCC, like they're equal, you come off like a door-to-door salesman.

I don't need to do the math to know that a $300,000 home in JCC would sell for $600,000 in my neighborhood and clear in excess of 1mil inside the beltway.

I receive notes all of the time from people frustrated by the bad information passed along on this message board. More and more people float pure BS in an effort to make a point. I'm just more likely to call you on it because I have an aggressive personality and don't care if it hurts your feelings.

Murphy is way underpaid in terms of what most probably feel he's worth. He accepted a certain salary so he obviously feels satisfied. That's between him and the university. Who knows, maybe he'll quit and go get him one of those sweet PE jobs in Arlington with the cushy perks. Same salary, right?

10-10-2017 06:35 PM
WillaMary08 Offline
Heisman

05-02-2018 01:49 PM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(05-02-2018 01:49 PM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Nick Raquet doing well:

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/201...ssion=true

Thanks for posting. I saw him pitch May 4 against my Intimidators, and I didn't even know I was watching a former Tribe pitcher. My boys won 11-0, so it was all good.

Best record in the league so far, its been a fun start to the season.

Just waiting for the Sox to gut our team, but I am enjoying it while it lasts.
05-21-2018 12:01 PM
Advertisement

WillaMary08 Offline
Heisman

Raquet selected to participate in the South Atlantic League all star game.
06-09-2018 02:53 PM
WillaMary08 Offline
Heisman

Noticed that Ryder Miconi is playing for the Pittsburg Diamonds of the Pacific Association independent league.
06-14-2018 04:46 AM
WillaMary08 Offline
Heisman

I saw that Mitchell Aker is the closer for the Evansville Otters of the independent Frontier League.
06-23-2018 05:43 AM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I met with Coach Brian yesterday. We talked about all sorts of things. He’s looking forward to working with the dozen or so new guys on the team. The schedule is shaping up for next year; particularly the home schedule. Some aesthetic improvements are planned for Plumeri. The future looks bright. We are lucky to have Brian as the HC.
06-23-2018 07:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.