Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Vol Nation Thread- Mike Houston to Tennessee?
Bookmark and Share
Duke Of Richmond Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU
A UT alum co-worker just flipped me this thread from over on the Vol Nation boards..

The SEC arrogance is nauseating but a pretty funny read nonetheless. Little do they know, they'd be getting an absolute steal...

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee...er-hc.html
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 12:18 PM by Duke Of Richmond.)
11-06-2017 12:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Vol Nation Thread- Mike Houston to Tennessee?
(11-06-2017 12:17 PM)Duke Of Richmond Wrote:  A UT alum co-worker just flipped me this thread from over on the Vol Nation boards..

The SEC arrogance is nauseating but a pretty funny read nonetheless. Little do they know, they'd be getting an absolute steal...

Hate these threads, every single one of them, almost as much as I hate the twitter post from a “JMU educator” back in Oct recommending Tenn take a look at HCMH. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Adding to this spin/buzz does nothing positive for us, just like all the suspended player talk last year that hit media outlets.

No other school’s fans spend as much time and energy speculating where their coach should go next.
11-06-2017 12:29 PM
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

Agreed on the nauseating bit, especially when they STILL don't know that FCS is not Division II...

We are fortunate to have him and I hope he stays for a long long time where he is appreciated!
11-06-2017 12:32 PM
JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

(11-06-2017 12:29 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 12:17 PM)Duke Of Richmond Wrote:  A UT alum co-worker just flipped me this thread from over on the Vol Nation boards..

Hate these threads, every single one of them, almost as much as I hate the twitter post from a “JMU educator” back in Oct recommending Tenn take a look at HCMH. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Adding to this spin/buzz does nothing positive for us, just like all the suspended player talk last year that hit media outlets.

No other school’s fans spend as much time and energy speculating where their coach should go next.

I also hate these threads... but mostly because of their SEC bias. UT should be so lucky to get HCMH... having to google him or not, some nerve they have talking about him with their current 4-5 record beating up on teams like Indiana State (FCS not won a single game this year) and Southern Miss. With losses to KENTUCKY and a goose egg against UGA... give me a break.
11-06-2017 12:35 PM
Duke Of Richmond Offline
Water Engineer

To clarify, my intention was not to stir the pot and spend time "speculating where our coach should go next."

I copy and pasted a link I thought many would find interesting and entertaining. That is all.
11-06-2017 12:38 PM
HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge
(11-06-2017 12:35 PM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  

I also hate these threads... but mostly because of their SEC bias. UT should be so lucky to get HCMH... having to google him or not, some nerve they have talking about him with their current 4-5 record beating up on teams like Indiana State (FCS not won a single game this year) and Southern Miss. With losses to KENTUCKY and a goose egg against UGA... give me a break.

The holier than thou attitude is really nauseating. This is a problem with most SEC schools, if the coach doesn't win a championship in 2 years then it's a failure. Reading that thread and knowing what Mike Houston has brought to JMU it just sickens me. JMU, if not play tough, would beat Tennessee if they played today.
11-06-2017 12:40 PM
Advertisement

Knit35 Offline
1st String

Wait.......Tennessee has a football program?
11-06-2017 12:43 PM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

Tennessee isn't going to hire an FCS coach. But if they offered, I wouldn't blame Houston for a second for leaving.
11-06-2017 12:44 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Yea, if Houston is offered the Tennessee job, good for him and best wishes! You can't let that one go.

Would be good for JMU for potential replacements to see that JMU can get you past the morass of bad G5 jobs.

That being said, HCMH isn't going to be UT's first pick....even though he should be.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 01:01 PM by JMU2004.)
11-06-2017 12:53 PM
LovethoseDukes Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU of course!
Thanks for the lunchtime reading entertainment!!
11-06-2017 12:53 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I agree with what the earlier poster said. We have to be the top “selling our head coach off ourselves” fan base in all of NCAA athletics. Get over yourselves and enjoy the moment.
11-06-2017 01:07 PM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

The overall arrogance is the perfect way to sum up that thread. That's what happens when you have a fan base full of Walmart fans. It's the same way w/ any large state school where there historically has been no NFL presence (only one generation of Titans fans, and a good portion of them probably have other NFL allegiances too). Overall lack of football knowledge in anything non SEC. The whole DII stuff, Chip Kelly came from Delaware etc.

I am suffering through a similar scenario as Tennessee right now. I am a lifelong Nebraska fan. Their fans also think they can hire some big name coach and instantly recapture the glory from 20 years ago. Sadly, there were a myriad of things that have happened over the years that need to be addressed and undone before either school becomes a power again. And big money boosters are a huge obstacle to that. They want a glamor name and immediate results. In many cases, they are like a petulant child with their demands. And unfortunately, big time ADs have to give them some lip service to keep their donations.

When you think about it, we probably reacting similarly when Mike Houston was hired here. We now know better. He was the perfect hire. I just don't think there are many P5 ADs with the balls to stand up to their boosters and do what needs to be done to properly rebuild a program. I trust HCMH will land a AAC type of job and do well there too.
11-06-2017 01:18 PM
Duke Of Richmond Offline
Water Engineer

(11-06-2017 01:07 PM)Potomac Wrote:  I agree with what the earlier poster said. We have to be the top “selling our head coach off ourselves” fan base in all of NCAA athletics. Get over yourselves and enjoy the moment.

Yeah you're right... the Tennessee AD might come lurking on The Dukes' Domain and steal him right out from under us solely based on the chatter in these threads.

Got it.
11-06-2017 01:22 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Lil' ole "DII" JMU needs to schedule SEC mighty Tennessee and beat them. Its the only way to shut up the Walmart idiots on their message board.
11-06-2017 01:41 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-06-2017 01:18 PM)olddawg Wrote:  When you think about it, we probably reacting similarly when Mike Houston was hired here. We now know better. He was the perfect hire. I just don't think there are many P5 ADs with the balls to stand up to their boosters and do what needs to be done to properly rebuild a program. I trust HCMH will land a AAC type of job and do well there too.

Most of us on here were immediately saying MH was an excellent hire. I knew it from his first press conference. I didn't know he'd go on to win 23 of 24 though, good lord.
11-06-2017 01:42 PM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

(11-06-2017 01:42 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 01:18 PM)olddawg Wrote:  When you think about it, we probably reacting similarly when Mike Houston was hired here. We now know better. He was the perfect hire. I just don't think there are many P5 ADs with the balls to stand up to their boosters and do what needs to be done to properly rebuild a program. I trust HCMH will land a AAC type of job and do well there too.

Most of us on here were immediately saying MH was an excellent hire. I knew it from his first press conference. I didn't know he'd go on to win 23 of 24 though, good lord.

I don't know about "most of us". There was a good contingent that was happy, but there was a large group that kept griping about triple option this and that and said how he was an awful fit being defensive minded HC.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 01:59 PM by JMU08.)
11-06-2017 01:49 PM
Advertisement

JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(11-06-2017 01:41 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  Lil' ole "DII" JMU needs to schedule SEC mighty Tennessee and beat them. Its the only way to shut up the Walmart idiots on their message board.

This, and JMU 55, Tenn 71 Sagarin ratings
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 01:58 PM by JMUsince89.)
11-06-2017 01:56 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-06-2017 01:18 PM)olddawg Wrote:  The overall arrogance is the perfect way to sum up that thread. That's what happens when you have a fan base full of Walmart fans. It's the same way w/ any large state school where there historically has been no NFL presence (only one generation of Titans fans, and a good portion of them probably have other NFL allegiances too). Overall lack of football knowledge in anything non SEC. The whole DII stuff, Chip Kelly came from Delaware etc.

I am suffering through a similar scenario as Tennessee right now. I am a lifelong Nebraska fan. Their fans also think they can hire some big name coach and instantly recapture the glory from 20 years ago. Sadly, there were a myriad of things that have happened over the years that need to be addressed and undone before either school becomes a power again. And big money boosters are a huge obstacle to that. They want a glamor name and immediate results. In many cases, they are like a petulant child with their demands. And unfortunately, big time ADs have to give them some lip service to keep their donations.

When you think about it, we probably reacting similarly when Mike Houston was hired here. We now know better. He was the perfect hire. I just don't think there are many P5 ADs with the balls to stand up to their boosters and do what needs to be done to properly rebuild a program. I trust HCMH will land a AAC type of job and do well there too.

Agree completely. You nailed it pretty much. More...

...for full disclosure, I am a Vols fan as my son started there 11 years ago and is an alum. Paid a lot of checks to UT. When they fired Fulmer after his Frosh year (IIRC, too lazy to look it up), my son and his frat brothers were all jacked up about the firing and Lane Kiffin coming in. I played golf with a bunch of them one summer afternoon before Kiffin's first and only season and told them they would one day look back and change that tune. I remember them telling me how wrong I was. And, I fully admit to throwing out my share of I Told You So's to them over the last decade whenever I've seen any of 'em. Their arrogance gives them such a bad rep. I've tailgated with lots of Big Orange folks who are good people but are rather delusional as far as their expectations. They essentially fired Fulmer because they got tired of 9-10 win seasons and not being able to "get over the hump" on a national stage (though Fulmer led them to a national title less than a decade earlier...the year AFTER Peyton Manning graduated). What a bunch of fools.

A couple of years later, my son worked as a summer intern in the UTAA ticket office making calls to former season ticket holders asking for them to re-up their contributions to the scholarship fund and buy season tix. Cold calls. 1 in 4 calls told him to go jump in a lake because they were long-time season ticket holders who were pissed with not only Fulmer being fired, but the way he was treated on the way out. So, there are at least some who "got it" back then.

Lane Kiffin...Derek Dooley (who was about their 12th choice maybe)...Butch Jones. AD John Currie doesn't have gonads big enough to hire Mike Houston so folks can forget that. And quickly. Les Miles, Scott Frost (you Husker fans may like that), Dave Clawson, among others are light years ahead in line over Mike Houston. Mike Houston has not paid his dues nor shown he can win in years 4 & 5 with his own recruits. That's not a UT thing. That applies to a lot of the P5. He'll get there, but he's got to show it eventually before a program that welcomes 100K into their home stadium will dish out a contract. The guy at SMU is doing a great job too. Former Clemson coordinator under Swinney. Just another example of guys who have and are paying their dues just being ahead in line.

For selfish and family reasons, I hope UT gets back to being more competitive in the SEC-East, which has really sucked the last decade for the most part versus previous standards with Visor Boy gone from Florida (ripe for the taking if they hadn't let Fulmer go...again, my opinion). If/when Mike Houston leaves JMU, I'd be thrilled if he went to Knoxville some day. Again, for selfish reasons. But, that likely won't happen until he pays more dues elsewhere and UT cycles through another losing coach to create another opening 5 years from now (hoping of course that doesn't happen).
11-06-2017 01:59 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

The only thing I've read here is the thread title. Figured I'd post something that I'm sure has already been said multiple times (I haven't read any posts in this thread because it would a waste of time). Because there is ZERO chance Tennessee is going to hire a I-AA HC, MH or anyone else. MH could win 3 straight national titles. Doesn't matter. Discussing the possibility is about as useful as sitting in a chair in a corner and staring at a wall..
11-06-2017 02:03 PM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

(11-06-2017 02:03 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  The only thing I've read here is the thread title. Figured I'd post something that I'm sure has already been said multiple times (I haven't read any posts in this thread because it would a waste of time). Because there is ZERO chance Tennessee is going to hire a I-AA HC, MH or anyone else. MH could win 3 straight national titles. Doesn't matter. Discussing the possibility is about as useful as sitting in a chair in a corner and staring at a wall..

That's just sports message boards in general. Rarely is there any talk that's actually useful on here, it's just a way to entertain ourselves and pass the time until the next game.
11-06-2017 02:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.