Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is Tulsa not looking towards the future?
prettyricky Offline
The Peoples Champ

I Root For: Da Coog's

I was researching some of the new CUSA opponents for nex year and what I should expect, when I observed that Tulsa is really really sticking with Killian at QB.

I know there may be some sort of loyalty factor, but this season is over. Coaching staff might want to get the back-up (or next years QB) a rep or 2. I mean has anyone else even completed a pass?

In CUSA west you've got Tulane, Houston, SMU, and UTEP all with freshman or sophmore QB's. That's a lot of experience returning behind center for your competition. Unless Tulsa has a killer back, great defense, or stud redshirt qb returning, it may be a good time to start looking towards the future.
11-12-2004 12:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

richardm Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I think they are redshirting the stud qb. He played a little last year.
11-12-2004 12:41 AM
Tulsa97 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa Hurricane

prettyricky Wrote:I was researching some of the new CUSA opponents for nex year and what I should expect, when I observed that Tulsa is really really sticking with Killian at QB.

I know there may be some sort of loyalty factor, but this season is over. Coaching staff might want to get the back-up (or next years QB) a rep or 2. I mean has anyone else even completed a pass?

In CUSA west you've got Tulane, Houston, SMU, and UTEP all with freshman or sophmore QB's. That's a lot of experience returning behind center for your competition. Unless Tulsa has a killer back, great defense, or stud redshirt qb returning, it may be a good time to start looking towards the future.
He is being red-shirted this year. He did play last year, and many, including myself, believe he is a far better quarterback than Killian. I think we may even get to see him on Sundays. He is still a little small if you ask me, but he still has 3 years of eligibility. I am excited about our make up going into C-USA.
11-12-2004 09:33 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

He's tall enough, just needs to add a little more weight. It would be great if he added a minumum of 10 more pounds before next year!! I agree that he is a much better passer than Killian and he showed some scrambling ability last year. I think he will be a great QB before he's finished and I am looking forward to next year. Even though our record isn't that great, this isn't like the Burns years when we got beat pretty bad every other game. A couple of OT losses :bang: and a loss to a top 15 team in the last few seconds :eek: , you have to admit there has been a little excitement this year!! I think we will surprise a few of our new CUSA opponents next year and our future looks pretty bright to me!!! 04-cheers
11-12-2004 09:47 AM
Advertisement

Cane Gang Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Even if Kilian should happen to get hurt in one of these last three games, I doubt we'll see Paul Smith play. We'd probably see Jake Hammond. At least, I hope they wouldn't waste an entire year of Smith's eligibility on the last 2 games of a losing season.

Smith is a good one. I don't know about his being better than Kilian (we have a BAD habit at Tulsa of always thinking the freshman on the bench is better than the senior on the field), but he has talent. And he should have three years of eligibility left. 04-cheers
11-12-2004 10:25 AM
Tulsa97 Offline
Special Teams

No offense Gang, but Killian does not check off his receivers. Too many times I've seen guys wide open and he goes for the first receiver on the list who is double covered. He doesn't look off his receivers, and doesn't make decisions quickly enough. I haven't had the opportunity to see Paul Smith play, but from what I could hear at the SJSU game, a true freshman came into the game a lit them up. It may not happen, but we need a quarterback that can make quick decisions even if the o-line breaks down, i.e. once you've been flushed out of the pocket and the receivers are covered throw the ball out of bounds.

That said he is a good quarterback in my opinion, he's just not a great quarterback. Let's see him prove me wrong in the last 3 games.
11-12-2004 04:51 PM
Cane Gang Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Tulsa97 Wrote:No offense Gang, but Killian does not check off his receivers. Too many times I've seen guys wide open and he goes for the first receiver on the list who is double covered. He doesn't look off his receivers, and doesn't make decisions quickly enough. I haven't had the opportunity to see Paul Smith play, but from what I could hear at the SJSU game, a true freshman came into the game a lit them up. It may not happen, but we need a quarterback that can make quick decisions even if the o-line breaks down, i.e. once you've been flushed out of the pocket and the receivers are covered throw the ball out of bounds.

That said he is a good quarterback in my opinion, he's just not a great quarterback. Let's see him prove me wrong in the last 3 games.
Kilian has lead us to more wins in the past 1.5 years than the previous 3 seasons COMBINED as well as a bowl game last year. He'll rank in the top 5 in passing and total offense in TU history before he's done (accomplished in basically two seasons). He's tough as nails and leaves it all out on the field every game.

Smith has played half of one game.

I watched the two of them take reps in the Blue/Gold scrimmage. Kilian was obviously the starter and the far more polished of the two. Not to mention that physically, Smith looked like the water boy standing next to Kilian.

I'm not the president of the Kilian fan club or anything... but fercryinoutloud, how about a little support for the young man? I have no patience for people ripping on the kid, when we wouldn't have had HALF the success we had last year without him.

Smith will have his three years to shine. Something tells me the peanut gallery will be screaming for the next freshman QB we recruit by the time Smith is halfway through his junior year. It's a TU tradition, after all.
11-12-2004 05:45 PM
Advertisement

Catbird Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Bravo, Cane Gang! Well said, my friend. Kilian has done everything asked of him, including getting absolutely brutalized in the H-Bowl game. Ask any member of the Golden Hurricane who the leader is and they will tell you it's James.

I agree that Smith will be something very special ... when it's his turn at bat.
11-12-2004 07:25 PM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I am looking forward to the future after the disaster in Shreveport yesterday!!! :bang: After we couldn't score in 4 tries from 6 inches, I left the sportsbar !! :mad: I couldn't take anymore!! I didn't feel so bad by the the time I got home but then I realized I had left a half a glass of beer on the table, then I was really mad :mad: :mad: I don't mind losing but wasting beer is unexcusable!! :D I really am looking forward to next year, I think we will be fine!! 04-cheers
11-14-2004 11:41 AM
prettyricky Offline
The Peoples Champ

I Root For: Da Coog's

jfisher Wrote:I am looking forward to the future after the disaster in Shreveport yesterday!!! :bang: After we couldn't score in 4 tries from 6 inches, I left the sportsbar !! :mad: I couldn't take anymore!! I didn't feel so bad by the the time I got home but then I realized I had left a half a glass of beer on the table, then I was really mad :mad: :mad: I don't mind losing but wasting beer is unexcusable!! :D I really am looking forward to next year, I think we will be fine!! 04-cheers
I watched the game on gameplan ... No doubt in my mind Killian scored on the QB sneak, he woulda gotten that call at home.
11-14-2004 12:58 PM
Advertisement

Tulsa97 Offline
Special Teams

prettyricky Wrote:
jfisher Wrote:I am looking forward to the future after the disaster in Shreveport  yesterday!!! :bang:  After we couldn't score in 4 tries from 6 inches, I left the sportsbar !! :mad:  I couldn't take anymore!! I didn't feel so bad by the the time I got home but then I realized I had left a half a glass of beer on the table, then I was really mad :mad:  :mad:  I don't mind losing but wasting beer is unexcusable!! :D  I really am looking forward to next year, I think we will be fine!! 04-cheers
I watched the game on gameplan ... No doubt in my mind Killian scored on the QB sneak, he woulda gotten that call at home.
I agree we were robbed. I'm still not impressed as others with his play.
11-14-2004 05:50 PM
KTulsafan Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Tulsa97 Wrote:Too many times I've seen guys wide open and he goes for the first receiver on the list who is double covered. He doesn't look off his receivers, and doesn't make decisions quickly enough.
Do you just imagine that maybe the lack of protection has something to do with that. I believe the situation changed for the better after the Hawaii game and the O line was overhauled. Since that time he led us to a game against Boise State that we lost on a last play field goal, a triple overtime loss to Nevada where a TD was fumbled out of the endzone. An overtime loss to SMU and a victory over San Jose and the hated Keith Burns. Yes, we lost a bad one to La Tech but that is not worth burning a year of eligility for Paul Smith. Smith looks great as the QB of the future, but right now I say "Thanks, James" for a great resurrection of our program. Altho he will be gone, his "backup" will light up CUSA in the future.
11-27-2004 10:44 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

KTfan, I think that pretty well sums it up and I agree the future will be a bright one!!! It would be nice to beat UTEP but no matter what we aren't a door mat any more and I think CUSA will be a good deal!!
11-27-2004 05:13 PM
KTulsafan Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

jfisher Wrote:KTfan, I think that pretty well sums it up and I agree the future will be a bright one!!! It would be nice to beat UTEP but no matter what we aren't a door mat any more and I think CUSA will be a good deal!!
I think you just got your wish.....
11-27-2004 09:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.