Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Armd Security Guard, No Help
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
So it's being reported there was an armed security guard outside the school when the shooting started. Did not respond in a timely manner. So there you go, the one wild card in the arm 'em to the teeth argument, human nature. What do you do when the bullets start flying. Can you really count on civilians to respond correctly in a once in a life time emergency?
02-22-2018 07:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
RE: Armd Security Guard, No Help
(02-22-2018 07:29 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  So it's being reported there was an armed security guard outside the school when the shooting started. Did not respond in a timely manner. So there you go, the one wild card in the arm 'em to the teeth argument, human nature. What do you do when the bullets start flying. Can you really count on civilians to respond correctly in a once in a life time emergency?

So it's being reported that the FBI was warned in advance and did nothing. Did not respond in an appropriate manner. So there you go, the one wild card in the "Trust the government to keep you safe, you don't need guns", human nature. What do you do when bullets start flying. Can you really count on the government to respond correctly in a once in a life time emergency?
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018 07:39 PM by Bull_Is_Back.)
02-22-2018 07:38 PM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
This is horrible. This guy was the school resource officer there for several years winning SRO of the year in 2014. He knew these kids and let this happen. This is awful beyond belief.
02-22-2018 07:39 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(02-22-2018 07:39 PM)Claw Wrote:  This is horrible. This guy was the school resource officer there for several years winning SRO of the year in 2014. He knew these kids and let this happen. This is awful beyond belief.

And it's yet another of layer of government that failed here...
02-22-2018 07:40 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

Here's another point.... The armed agent of the government did nothing... A teacher inside who was forbidden from arming himself acted as a human shield to protect kids.
02-22-2018 07:42 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(02-22-2018 07:40 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  
(02-22-2018 07:39 PM)Claw Wrote:  This is horrible. This guy was the school resource officer there for several years winning SRO of the year in 2014. He knew these kids and let this happen. This is awful beyond belief.

Saw on the national news he took up a position outside but did not attempt to engage the shooter. That is so sad for the families of the victims. In lieu of suspension he took early retirement. He'll have to move from that community.
02-22-2018 07:44 PM
Advertisement

Claw Online
Hall of Famer

(02-22-2018 07:44 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Saw on the national news he took up a position outside but did not attempt to engage the shooter. That is so sad for the families of the victims. In lieu of suspension he took early retirement. He'll have to move from that community.

He'll more likely kill himself.
02-22-2018 07:49 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Before I leave the guy twisting in the wind, what was his training and what was policy?

Was he told to boldly confront any shooter and take him down.

Was he told to raise the alarm, take cover, and wait for backup/SWAT?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
02-22-2018 07:51 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(02-22-2018 07:51 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Before I leave the guy twisting in the wind, what was his training and what was policy?

I can only tell you that the County Sheriff's statement is the SRO failed to engage the shooter that is part of law enforcement training. When you arrive on an active shooting scene, you move toward the shooter. The fact that they were going to suspend him should tell you he failed in his duties to protect.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018 07:55 PM by UCGrad1992.)
02-22-2018 07:54 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion

Wrong. No matter how you deflect. This was on a human, not a "government".
02-22-2018 07:57 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I saw a tweet earlier today that said President Reagan was shot surrounded by secret service agents, but armed math teachers are now expected to protect our students?
02-22-2018 07:58 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(02-22-2018 07:54 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(02-22-2018 07:51 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Before I leave the guy twisting in the wind, what was his training and what was policy?

I can only tell you that the County Sheriff's statement is the SRO failed to engage the shooter that is part of law enforcement training. When you arrive on an active shooting scene, you move toward the shooter. The fact that they were going to suspend him should tell you he failed in his duties to protect.

You are probably right in this case.

But history shows just because the higher-ups suspend a cop doesn't mean the cop was at fault or didn't do as trained.

02-22-2018 08:01 PM
200yrs2late Online
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Sheriff said he was disgusted and that the SRO should have engaged the shooter.

Guy is a cop. He knows the danger of his job. He stood by and let the children he was tasked with protecting be killed.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using CSNbbs mobile app
02-22-2018 08:01 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(02-22-2018 07:57 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  

LOL.... When an agent of the government fails, the government fails... It's ok to acknowledge that the government failed at something, right?

The point is that you're so fast to say

"see letting teacher conceal carry is bull**** because *THIS* time it failed"

is just as legit as saying

"see armed *GOVERNMENT TRAINED AND APPOINTED* agents failed so there is no point to having the government respond."
02-22-2018 08:04 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(02-22-2018 08:01 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Sheriff said he was disgusted and that the SRO should have engaged the shooter.

Guy is a cop. He knows the danger of his job. He stood by and let the children he was tasked with protecting be killed.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using CSNbbs mobile app

It's ok when a non government group fails it's a "failure of the system" but when the government fails it's "just some guy"...
02-22-2018 08:05 PM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

This wasn't just some cop. This guy worked on that campus for at least three years. He knew those kids. He saw them every single day. He spent his working life there for years. How in the hell? I will never understand. Never.
02-22-2018 08:08 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State

He shucked his duties after being named SRO of the year 4 years ago. Clearly coasting to retirement.
02-22-2018 08:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Most police in that situation would have run towards the gun shots. We’ve seen that time and again.

This one off is no real argument.
02-22-2018 08:14 PM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(02-22-2018 07:57 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  

Maybe next time you can post in one of the 50 threads on this?

So you just admitted it's a human issue not an inanimate object issue, thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
02-22-2018 08:24 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-22-2018 07:29 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  So it's being reported there was an armed security guard outside the school when the shooting started. Did not respond in a timely manner. So there you go, the one wild card in the arm 'em to the teeth argument, human nature. What do you do when the bullets start flying. Can you really count on civilians to respond correctly in a once in a life time emergency?

You probably can if the guy is shooting at their door trying to get in. It just takes one to change the entire dynamic of one of these attacks.

Frankly, I think this strengthens the argument for concealed carry for teachers. You might have had a dozen trained gun carrying teachers at the school when it was attacked. One guy might have been too scared to engage---but I suspect it would have been different if there were half a dozen armed teachers working together. The coach who was blocking bullets with from hitting kids with his body certainly would not have been afraid to engage the shooter---and was probably the type of fellow that would have been willing to carry.

The last shooting like this occurred in a church (another place where nobody is typically armed). The shooter was stopped by a single private citizen with a gun who heard the shots from his nearby home. Like I said---it just takes one.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018 08:28 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-22-2018 08:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.