Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Hampton football screwed
Bookmark and Share
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
OT: Hampton football screwed
Maybe not worth a thread, but it is a VA school. 5 day old news now, but Hampton football got screwed with all of a sudden needing to find 8 2018 opponents at the last minute..
http://scores.espn.com/college-football/...-big-south
https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/m...7.amp.html
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 05:13 PM by BDKJMU.)
02-25-2018 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

RE: OT: Hampton football screwed
I was just recruiting on campus Thursday and the environment was strange to say the least. Of course, their conference move is all about money, but it is just as much about getting away from the MEAC financial mess as it is looking for greener pastures. Hampton’s rival Norfolk State is in deep doo doo financially and they aren’t the only program in the MEAC at a crossroads. The backstory is that the MEAC commissioner was formerly the AD at Hampton.

There are definitely hurt feelings and accusations that Hampton is turning its back on a long standing alliance with HBCU’s. Also, Hampton’s private status gives it a lot of different options that some other HBCU’s don’t have.
02-25-2018 07:08 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

Tennessee state doesn’t compete in the meac or swac.

Wonder if all those schools are pissed at them too.
02-25-2018 07:48 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
02-25-2018 08:07 PM
s2dsayer Offline
All American

I Root For: Duuuuukes
(02-25-2018 08:07 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  On a related note... http://meacsports.com/news/2018/2/25/mea...ation.aspx

Wow, haven't heard the name Todd Bozeman in a long long time
02-25-2018 08:25 PM
Advertisement

PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

(02-25-2018 07:48 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  Tennessee state doesn’t compete in the meac or swac.

Id hope their peers see this as a win. Sincerely hope.

I think it is terrible that the meac is doing this to Hampton for being a progressive. They come out of this looking awful. Ive long respected Hampton's willingness to use their rich history to make something even more of their university and its profile. Seems that the league resents them for doing this.
02-28-2018 01:35 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(02-28-2018 01:35 PM)PhillyDuke Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 07:48 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  Tennessee state doesn’t compete in the meac or swac.

Id hope their peers see this as a win. Sincerely hope.

I think it is terrible that the meac is doing this to Hampton for being a progressive. They come out of this looking awful. Ive long respected Hampton's willingness to use their rich history to make something even more of their university and its profile. Seems that the league resents them for doing this.

Agree, Hampton is a really good school and other than being a HBCU has little in common academically with most of other MEAC schools. Moving to the BigSouth is a homerun for Hampton financially and grouping of schools. It shows great forward thinking and not being tied to the past.
03-01-2018 10:28 AM
booman Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NSU
Hampton screwed, or tried to screw us. They missed the deadline to announce they were leaving and then demanded to play only the weaker conference teams but still be eligible for the Celebration Bowl. No, we are not gonna establish that is ok
03-09-2018 01:18 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2018 01:18 AM)booman Wrote:  Hampton screwed, or tried to screw us. They missed the deadline to announce they were leaving and then demanded to play only the weaker conference teams but still be eligible for the Celebration Bowl. No, we are not gonna establish that is ok

I don't blame the MEAC for dropping all of their conference games since they refused to follow the rules and file to leave the conference by the deadline if you expect to not play MEAC games by a certain date.

They completely botched it on their end (hampton). I do feel bad for the 8 or so MEAC teams they had scheduled though who also have to scramble for an extremely last minute, mid-season game. You're probably going to have to play D2/D3/NAIA teams.

Why should they be eligible for the celebration bowl without being in the conference? You might as well let any other team nationwide be eligible for the celebration bowl too. It would make just as much sense.
03-09-2018 08:37 AM
Advertisement

Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
Maybe Bourne has reached out to Hampton and offered JMU to play at Hampton twice in the years HU needs a game to help out a commonwealth peer?
03-09-2018 02:39 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2018 02:39 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Maybe Bourne has reached out to Hampton and offered JMU to play at Hampton twice in the years HU needs a game to help out a commonwealth peer?

You are cruel and I'm not laughing.
03-09-2018 05:08 PM
PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

(03-09-2018 01:18 AM)booman Wrote:  Hampton screwed, or tried to screw us. They missed the deadline to announce they were leaving and then demanded to play only the weaker conference teams but still be eligible for the Celebration Bowl. No, we are not gonna establish that is ok

I'm surprised Hampton cares about the a celebration bowl. if they wanted this bowl that much, wouldnt they have stayed?
03-11-2018 12:18 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2018 12:18 AM)PhillyDuke Wrote:  

I'm surprised Hampton cares about the a celebration bowl. if they wanted this bowl that much, wouldnt they have stayed?

I agree, the Celebration Bowl is the epitome of the Toilet Bowl......nah we will pass and give up the auto-bid to the playoffs where you can actually win a national championship in favor of a bowl game that is an FCS bowl game. Why would anyone in athletics be in favor of this approach where you can compete for something that actually matters.
03-12-2018 10:55 AM
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-12-2018 10:55 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 12:18 AM)PhillyDuke Wrote:  

I agree, the Celebration Bowl is the epitome of the Toilet Bowl......nah we will pass and give up the auto-bid to the playoffs where you can actually win a national championship in favor of a bowl game that is an FCS bowl game. Why would anyone in athletics be in favor of this approach where you can compete for something that actually matters.

All about the Benjamins.
$2M payout. Each school get $600k of that plus their ticket sales.
03-14-2018 02:04 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I admire Hampton's leaders for taking this short-term risk, while eyeing the long-term benefits.
03-14-2018 02:30 PM
JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

Schools should announce their intentions to change conferences and give 2 weeks notice. F the old conference. When they try to take you to court site bull**** like this as the reason to leave immediately.
03-14-2018 06:21 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

The Daily Press sheds some light on Hampton’s move to the Big South in this article. It may provide some perspective for those that don’t live in the area.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/hampton...story.html
03-29-2018 08:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.