Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Which TWO do the ACC add
UCONN
Cincinnati
Temple
West Virginia
Memphis
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
If Notre Dame holds firm to independence, which of these 2 teams head to the ACC
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
If Notre Dame holds firm to independence, which of these 2 teams head to the ACC
As a sister thread, who does the ACC add to get to 16 without ND?
03-08-2018 07:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
RE: If Notre Dame holds firm to independence, which of these 2 teams head to the ACC
Nobody, there's no reason to, and going to 16 football/17 full is unwieldy and potentially forces you into 18 for football down the line.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2018 07:52 PM by Bogg.)
03-08-2018 07:51 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
RE: If Notre Dame holds firm to independence, which of these 2 teams head to the ACC
Bogg: you don't consider 14 an awkward size? 12 or 16 seems ideal to me. YMMV
03-08-2018 07:53 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(03-08-2018 07:53 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Bogg: you don't consider 14 an awkward size? 12 or 16 seems ideal to me. YMMV

14 doesn't seem any more awkward than 16.
03-08-2018 07:59 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
None of the above. The next move will come if the B12 implodes. Texas will get a ND type deal to join the ACC for all sports BUT football. That gets the ACC into the Texas TV market with a 16/14 alignment and allows Tx to keep football on the Long Horn network, which becomes an ACC network affiliate.
03-08-2018 08:47 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Nobody. 15 is already too many and they cannot play all rivalries.
03-08-2018 08:52 PM
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

WVU and Cincy, then you can do pods.

West: WVU, Pitt, Cincy, UofL

North: Cuse, BC, UVA, VT

East: WF, UNC, NC St, UNC

South: Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami
03-08-2018 08:55 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
F. None of the above. No reason to add any additional mouths to feed that does not bring anything. If any of these teams brought value, they would have been in the B12.
03-08-2018 08:56 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(03-08-2018 08:56 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  F. None of the above. No reason to add any additional mouths to feed that does not bring anything. If any of these teams brought value, they would have been in the B12.

WVU is in the Big XII.
03-08-2018 09:10 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-08-2018 09:10 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 08:56 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  F. None of the above. No reason to add any additional mouths to feed that does not bring anything. If any of these teams brought value, they would have been in the B12.

WVU is in the Big XII.

But does WVU really expand the ACC footprint? Then by 2024, who knows what will happen? I do think WVU would be a good add with Pitt, VT, Louisville but I am not sure the ACC presidents will agree.
03-08-2018 09:18 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(03-08-2018 09:18 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 09:10 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

WVU is in the Big XII.

But does WVU really expand the ACC footprint? Then by 2024, who knows what will happen? I do think WVU would be a good add with Pitt, VT, Louisville but I am not sure the ACC presidents will agree.

ACC passed on WVU once. Academics and reputation. They would be a good geographical fit, though.

UCONN would be a huge boost to BB, not so much in football. Their budget is commensurate with the other schools and is a state flagship university.

But if the Big 12 implodes, I doubt they'd bring up a G5.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 10:54 AM by THUNDERStruck73.)
03-09-2018 10:54 AM
Advertisement

NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
I would say WVU and UConn because only those two schools combined can restore BE and ACC rivalries:

Big East: BC, UConn, Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Ville, VPI and UM.

ACC: UVA, Duke, State, UNC, WF, Clemson, GT and FSU.
03-09-2018 12:38 PM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-08-2018 08:47 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  None of the above. The next move will come if the B12 implodes. Texas will get a ND type deal to join the ACC for all sports BUT football. That gets the ACC into the Texas TV market with a 16/14 alignment and allows Tx to keep football on the Long Horn network, which becomes an ACC network affiliate.

Not gonna happen. Texas will never settle for being isloated on an island.
03-09-2018 04:55 PM
ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(03-09-2018 04:55 PM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 08:47 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  None of the above. The next move will come if the B12 implodes. Texas will get a ND type deal to join the ACC for all sports BUT football. That gets the ACC into the Texas TV market with a 16/14 alignment and allows Tx to keep football on the Long Horn network, which becomes an ACC network affiliate.

I used to think the ACC wouldn't go for a ND-type deal with UT, but I think it might be the best expansion scenario around. 5 games each with ND and UT, but since they're not FB conference members it allows the ACC to stay at 14 and keep an 8-game conference schedule. 9 games introduces some PITA scheduling and OOC flexibility issues.

I think Texas would go for it because they would still have 7 games to schedule with regional/historic opponents, so they wouldn't really be on any island. And they would have achieved in their eyes elevation to ND's level of "grandeur", a conference and island unto themselves.
03-09-2018 06:16 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Two schools that aren't on this list that could help build up the ACC are UCF and USF. Miami and Florida St would probably find it unthinkable but locking down 2 large, growing public schools in a pair of large markets in a state like Florida would be big. It gives everyone an annual trip to Florida for recruiting. It just makes more sense to embrace that pair and let them improve the conference rather than holding them at arm's length.
03-09-2018 07:45 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-09-2018 07:45 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Two schools that aren't on this list that could help build up the ACC are UCF and USF. Miami and Florida St would probably find it unthinkable but locking down 2 large, growing public schools in a pair of large markets in a state like Florida would be big. It gives everyone an annual trip to Florida for recruiting. It just makes more sense to embrace that pair and let them improve the conference rather than holding them at arm's length.

Again, not sure what 2024 will bring but under current conditions it is still TV market. Miami and FSU will not want a another Florida school. Not really sure how it brings anything to the market. Again, if there were two be two teams added from the AAC SMU and Houston to me would make the most sense from TV markets.
03-09-2018 07:55 PM
Advertisement

SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-09-2018 06:16 PM)ColKurtz Wrote:  

I used to think the ACC wouldn't go for a ND-type deal with UT, but I think it might be the best expansion scenario around. 5 games each with ND and UT, but since they're not FB conference members it allows the ACC to stay at 14 and keep an 8-game conference schedule. 9 games introduces some PITA scheduling and OOC flexibility issues.

I think Texas would go for it because they would still have 7 games to schedule with regional/historic opponents, so they wouldn't really be on any island. And they would have achieved in their eyes elevation to ND's level of "grandeur", a conference and island unto themselves.

Their other sports team would be on an island......... basketball, baseball, soccer, softball, tennis etc would all have to travel to the East coast constantly.

Texas will never settle for that......therefore it is not gonna happen.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2018 11:31 AM by SMUmustangs.)
03-09-2018 11:15 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-09-2018 11:15 PM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  
(03-09-2018 06:16 PM)ColKurtz Wrote:  

You don't think their other sports team would be on an island? Better think again......... basketball, baseball, soccer, softball, tennis etc would all have to travel to the East coast constantly.

Texas will never settle for that......therefore it is not gonna happen.

Going to the PAC 12 or B10 would be so much closer? Does not appear to be a problem for A&M in the SEC. I mean ND is just right down the road from all the other ACC schools. In all likely hood, if by some miracle the UT and ND joined the ACC, UT and TAM would probably become part of ACC/SEC last saturday rivalry games.
03-09-2018 11:40 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
SMUmustangs
[/quote' Wrote:  
Exactly, SMUmustangs. Texas has options, most are not beautiful; but they will not go 'ridiculous'.

There has been nothing presented that Swofford has offered Texas a Notre Dame-style deal. Those rumors originated in Texas during the time B12 departures were happening beyond several years back. Of course Texas talked to the ACC and other conferences, as did a host of others.

Taking a huge, no evidence, leap in assuming Swofford did secretly make some offer to Texas, the terms and conditions may not necessarily be the same extended to ND. Also, member ACC schools vote on such things, and their Presidents may not rubber stamp alledged ESPN talking points, whereby there is no evidence they are going to fork out a huge bundle to the ACC to do this, which would include a big, enhanced payout to Texas in addition to the loses ESPN is already taking regarding the LHN. ESPN is cutting back on spending and personnel, and are not in that much of a power position to be re-organizing P-5 conferences at this moment with extraordinary financial incentives. The SEC, a major ESPN investment, may not be keen on an ACC-Texas deal, particularly if ESPN is showing lavish spending of unseen discretionary revenue not coming their way.
03-10-2018 12:08 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Can I write-in Richmond and Davidson?
03-10-2018 12:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.