Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

No postseason for us ...
Bookmark and Share
geewizNU Offline
All American

I Root For: Northeastern
No postseason for us ...
I knew it was coming but the finality is, it still sucks.

Nice to see D’Antonio come through in the clutch for the CAA.

From Jerry Beach per Twitter...

#CAAHoops is one of only two D-I leagues sending only one team to the postseason, SWAC, which had no NIT auto bid b/c Grambling was ineligible, is the other.

It's noble for #CAAHoops aspire to be included only among the best, but also not fair the league only sends one team to the postseason and Northeastern sits home w/the top RPI & KenPom in the league & a 9-1 rec'd in its last 10 (w/the L in OT in the title game).

And as @brodskyme alluded to, this could cause some serious self-examination within #CAAHoops membership. What's the difference if you're in the no. 16 league & it gets the same number of NCAA/NIT bids as the no. 20/24/27/29 leagues?

Bottom line with a 55 RPI we’re the only one in the top 60 not playing in the postseason.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 12:11 AM by geewizNU.)
03-12-2018 12:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SomebodyToLove Offline
Special Teams

RE: No postseason for us ...
(03-12-2018 12:04 AM)geewizNU Wrote:  I knew it was coming but the finality is, it still sucks.

Nice to see D’Antonio come through in the clutch for the CAA.

From Jerry Beach per Twitter...

#CAAHoops is one of only two D-I leagues sending only one team to the postseason, SWAC, which had no NIT auto bid b/c Grambling was ineligible, is the other.

It's noble for #CAAHoops aspire to be included only among the best, but also not fair the league only sends one team to the postseason and Northeastern sits home w/the top RPI & KenPom in the league & a 9-1 rec'd in its last 10 (w/the L in OT in the title game).

And as @brodskyme alluded to, this could cause some serious self-examination within #CAAHoops membership. What's the difference if you're in the no. 16 league & it gets the same number of NCAA/NIT bids as the no. 20/24/27/29 leagues?

So that infers that it's the CAA dictating to the schools that CIT / CBI bids are not to be accepted? Interesting.

It's really hard to see NU's season end like it did, we improved a lot over the season and were playing our best basketball until the last 15 minutes of that 2nd half.
03-12-2018 12:07 AM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

I Root For: nu
For me, I don't blame the league. We played fifteen minutes of terrible basketball and left our fate to be determined by others. The reason so many inferior leagues are sending two teams to the postseason was tournament upsets. There were so many that the NIT had to make Vermont and Rider sixth seeds. We will be better next year. We only lose Begley (a player who caused me a lot of heartburn this year). No contending team loses as little as us. Next year our goal should be to win the regular season outright so we have a postseason.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 09:24 AM by NUGUY.)
03-12-2018 08:59 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Tough break for you guys. Yall deserved an invite.
03-12-2018 09:23 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Agree with Solo, you guys should be in NIT for sure. Our league and commish do a horrible job of promoting this league, and the unfortunate reality is it hurts good teams. COC should be higher than a 13 IMO too!
03-12-2018 09:40 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

BC should not have gotten in over NE. That's just ridiculous
03-12-2018 09:58 AM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(03-12-2018 08:59 AM)NUGUY Wrote:  For me, I don't blame the league. We played fifteen minutes of terrible basketball and left our fate to be determined by others. The reason so many inferior leagues are sending two teams to the postseason was tournament upsets. There were so many that the NIT had to make Vermont and Rider sixth seeds. We will be better next year. We only lose Begley (a player who caused me a lot of heartburn this year). No contending team loses as little as us. Next year our goal should be to win the regular season outright so we have a postseason.

I agree with everything you said - except absolving the league for our staying home.

The job of the commissioner is to make sure he’s able to politic to get as many teams in his league in the postseason.

D’Antonio has dropped the ball a few times since taking the job.
03-12-2018 10:43 AM
Advertisement

SomebodyToLove Offline
Special Teams

(03-12-2018 09:58 AM)solohawks Wrote:  BC should not have gotten in over NE. That's just ridiculous

BC went 2-13 in "quadrant 1" games. Give NU 15 chances and I know we'd get at least 2 wins, probably more. ESPN has NU's RPI at #50, BC at #88 (though I thought it was more like 55 and 93 from what I saw yesterday).

Oh well.
03-12-2018 10:48 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
No postseason for us ...
NE deserved a bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-12-2018 11:19 AM
Advertisement

NUGUY Offline
1st String

There are a bunch of teams having this exact same conversation. An argument could be made that bc goes in over us....strength of schedule, top 100 wins, Pomeroy, etc and they were a much better team than they were at the beginning of the season. Not saying that I agree with the decision but this what is what happens when you don't take care of business yourself and leave your fate up to a selection committee.

PS. May be the first time I ever said something positive about a bc team.
03-12-2018 12:27 PM
SomebodyToLove Offline
Special Teams

(03-12-2018 12:27 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  There are a bunch of teams having this exact same conversation. An argument could be made that bc goes in over us....strength of schedule, top 100 wins, Pomeroy, etc and they were a much better team than they were at the beginning of the season. Not saying that I agree with the decision but this what is what happens when you don't take care of business yourself and leave your fate up to a selection committee.

PS. May be the first time I ever said something positive about a bc team.

There are arguments for BC, but SOS and top 100 wins are simply because they are in the ACC. If we are in the ACC I believe we'd have some top 100 wins too.

Strength of Schedule: BC's OOC strength of schedule is ranked 298th in the country. Northeastern's was ranked 14th. They played 2 good and 1 mediocre power conference schools and then a bunch of bad mid-low major schools. They lost big to all 3 power conference schools. Not much difference in ours vs theirs for the power conferences, but we played a lot of good mid-major programs, while they beat on on minnows. Their strength of schedule is simply because they are in the ACC. It's an advantage we can't compete with and the selection committee is fine with.

What can you do? These quadrants the selection committee promotes are supposed to encourage power schools to play mid majors on the road. But what does it do? It encourages them to play bad teams at home so that all of their conference games fall into the top quadrants. They don't need to worry about scheduling a good OOC schedule away from home.
03-12-2018 02:17 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

Yes. Their SOS was tougher than ours because they are in the ACC. As Bill B would say, "It is what it is."

Anyway, I'm not arguing that they SHOULD have gotten in over us. I'm saying that if you can't close the deal.......and you let someone else decide whether you're in or out that's not a good thing especially if you're a midmajor.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 05:24 PM by NUGUY.)
03-12-2018 05:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.