Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FCC: the saga continues
Bookmark and Share
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
FCC: the saga continues
While not a soccer fan per se, I'm fully supportive of Cincinnati gaining another major league sport and the revitalization a stadium project could bring. But between the MLS and its failure to deliver on promised deadlines and seemingly endless bickering with neighborhood groups, city/county governments and now CPS, I'm starting to feel like Bill Murray waking up every morning to Sonny and Cher on the radio in Groundhog Day.

When will the soap opera end? My feeling is the West End is the preferred location for FCC. Has MLS whispered FCC is "in" regardless of location? Or will this drag on while Sacramento steps in and steals the bid?

03-13-2018 07:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: FCC: the saga continues
I stopped paying attention when they started using the locations against one another to sweeten their deal. What is the latest? Who are they trying to screw over now....Oakley, West End or is that NKY option still being used as a threat??

03-13-2018 08:48 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
It's really boring to me. It's annoying. If they keep this up they may start to turn off some of their own fans.

I give them credit for putting a lot of money forward for their own stadium, but I'd just like to see the whole thing over with.

03-13-2018 08:56 AM
The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats
(03-13-2018 07:44 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  While not a soccer fan per se, I'm fully supportive of Cincinnati gaining another major league sport and the revitalization a stadium project could bring. But between the MLS and its failure to deliver on promised deadlines and seemingly endless bickering with neighborhood groups, city/county governments and now CPS, I'm starting to feel like Bill Murray waking up every morning to Sonny and Cher on the radio in Groundhog Day.

When will the soap opera end? My feeling is the West End is the preferred location for FCC. Has MLS whispered FCC is "in" regardless of location? Or will this drag on while Sacramento steps in and steals the bid?

As far as I can figure, MLS is waiting for FCC to lock down one official stadium location or they are waiting for Sacremento to reel in another billionaire investor. They may have already decided on one or the other and are just waiting for the final piece of whichever bid, or they are waiting for who can finish their bid first.

West End is definitely the preferred site, however that area seems hellbent on it not happening. Meanwhile Newport actively wants FCC and is campaigning for them. I personally believe it ends up in Newport. There is an apparent stadium site deadline now though: https://twitter.com/SharonCoolidge/statu...95297?s=20

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2018 09:03 AM by The T-Shirt.)
03-13-2018 09:01 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(03-13-2018 08:48 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I stopped paying attention when they started using the locations against one another to sweeten their deal. What is the latest? Who are they trying to screw over now....Oakley, West End or is that NKY option still being used as a threat??

I'm a big soccer fan, and I was bullish on FC. I'm not as bullish anymore. Berding is taking negotiating approaches that you might take behind closed doors in a business meeting. Problem is, these negotiations are open and he's showing a stunning lack of ability to navigate community issues.

03-13-2018 10:22 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
(03-13-2018 10:22 AM)geef Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 08:48 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I stopped paying attention when they started using the locations against one another to sweeten their deal. What is the latest? Who are they trying to screw over now....Oakley, West End or is that NKY option still being used as a threat??

I'm a big soccer fan, and I was bullish on FC. I'm not as bullish anymore. Berding is taking negotiating approaches that you might take behind closed doors in a business meeting. Problem is, these negotiations are open and he's showing a stunning lack of ability to navigate community issues.

I agree the guy is a bit tone deaf. He comes off as the typical B-Movie hired henchman of the corporate giant versus people in their way. He puts Bob Bedinghaus to shame when it comes to turning public pockets inside out.

03-13-2018 11:26 AM
Advertisement

JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

Saw the title and thought it was something about a wardrobe malfunction on TV or net neutrality. Meh.

03-13-2018 04:11 PM
The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/fc-cincinnat...ic-schools

Interesting.

https://twitter.com/BillGRinehart/status...4520090624

*If I'm reading this right, CPS can receive in one year from FCC the same amount they would receive in ten years from these Citirama folks. Which after ten years makes it $7.5 mil vs $700K.

I'm guessing the hastened deadline is due to MLS getting impatient. We'll find out what they say by 5 today though... maybe.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 01:05 PM by The T-Shirt.)
03-14-2018 12:09 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2018 12:09 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  https://www.wcpo.com/sports/fc-cincinnat...ic-schools

Interesting.

*If I'm reading this right, CPS can receive in one year from FCC the same amount they would receive in ten years from these Citirama folks. Which after ten years makes it $7.5 mil vs $700K.

I'm guessing the hastened deadline is due to MLS getting impatient. We'll find out what they say by 5 today though... maybe.

Yep, the stakes just got higher in this poker game when CPS got an ultimatum. But could a CPS board member vote no and walk away from that kind of incremental revenue for the schools? Guess we'll know this afternoon.

03-14-2018 01:15 PM
The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

(03-14-2018 01:15 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 12:09 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  https://www.wcpo.com/sports/fc-cincinnat...ic-schools

Interesting.

Yep, the stakes just got higher in this poker game when CPS got an ultimatum. But could a CPS board member vote no and walk away from that kind of incremental revenue for the schools? Guess we'll know this afternoon.

Looks like they didnt move forward with the offer. From what I understand they turned down significantly more money than what Citirama will be giving them, as well as a new fully paid for stadium (Stargell, not the FCC stadium) and the funding for soccer programs at 29 CPS schools that currently can't offer soccer to the students.

I'm calling Newport as the official landing spot for FCC.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 06:11 PM by The T-Shirt.)
03-14-2018 05:46 PM
crex043 Offline
All American

Dumb question: why is CPS sitting on land that could generate revenue? Any why is CPS the final decision maker on said land?

03-14-2018 11:27 PM
Advertisement

InspectorHound Offline
1st String

The land owned by CPS is occupied by a frequently-used high school stadium that was just built a decade ago. FCC wants to swap land they own across the street for it.

03-15-2018 12:46 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Their opening offer of $70k/yr was like starting a negotiation by slapping the wife of the person you want to buy from. The hubris of this entitled cabal is mind-numbing.

03-15-2018 05:20 AM
JJ_Bearcats Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
The optics of how this was handled don't look great. But once you look at that final offer, it's a bit headscratching.

From what I can gather, they passed on quite the chunk of change for the school. Nearly 10x as much in fact. 7.5 million over 10 years against 700,000 in that same time frame.

You have to think the scary "s" word played a role here. I assume those that made the call have higher aspirations, and a yes vote on anything "stadium" related would be a red flag for their future around those parts.

For that school district to turn down that kind of money is surprising. Especially considering how much less the high end Citirama apartments will be giving them.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2018 07:16 AM by JJ_Bearcats.)
03-15-2018 07:12 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

When I read that there was a Wednesday 5pm deadline set by Berding I knew it was dead. What a crappy negotiator. I bet the billionaires are so offended that the plebs won't stick to their arbitrary time line.

03-15-2018 08:58 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
(03-15-2018 07:12 AM)JJ_Bearcats Wrote:  The optics of how this was handled don't look great. But once you look at that final offer, it's a bit headscratching.

From what I can gather, they passed on quite the chunk of change for the school. Nearly 10x as much in fact. 7.5 million over 10 years against 700,000 in that same time frame.

You have to think the scary "s" word played a role here. I assume those that made the call have higher aspirations, and a yes vote on anything "stadium" related would be a red flag for their future around those parts.

For that school district to turn down that kind of money is surprising. Especially considering how much less the high end Citirama apartments will be giving them.

From a tax base perspective, a higher amount for 10 years then the big drop FCC wants versus the residual tax receipts to the school district via property tax on 50+ Initial $400-500k homes until the end of time is not the great deal that Lindner’s spinmeisters want to make you believe. Once again these jerks are trying to screw over taxpayers like we are their personal ATM.

03-15-2018 09:21 AM
Advertisement

The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

(03-15-2018 08:58 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  When I read that there was a Wednesday 5pm deadline set by Berding I knew it was dead. What a crappy negotiator. I bet the billionaires are so offended that the plebs won't stick to their arbitrary time line.

From what I can gather, the deadline wasn't so much a "this must be officially approved and signed off on by 5" but more of a "this offer is more agreeable, we can work this out fully over the next couple of days". It seems FCC had until last night to start putting money towards the land itself due to their apparent agreement with the Drees and Citirama folks, and if CPS wasn't going to show they were willing to work with FCC then FCC was just going to move on.

CPS sticks with their 2 million dollar demand, FCC choses not to start buying the land from the Citirama folks, and now that option is no longer available and the land stays with Citirama.

03-15-2018 09:23 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
It was a deadline. It was a pressure tactic. A good one if the seller was actually in the market to sell. A bad one if it was an unsolicited offer.

The community down there largely doesn’t want this and frankly I don’t blame them if it’s their home and where they want to raise their families...they are smart enough to know they’d mostly be displaced before the stadium opened in favor of upscale condos and gentrification by folks who currently are not part of the community in appreciably high numbers.

A lot of the properties have already been bought up and are being sat on in anticipation of the community (and resident) makeover.

03-15-2018 09:41 AM
JJ_Bearcats Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(03-15-2018 09:21 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(03-15-2018 07:12 AM)JJ_Bearcats Wrote:  The optics of how this was handled don't look great. But once you look at that final offer, it's a bit headscratching.

From a tax base perspective, a higher amount for 10 years then the big drop FCC wants versus the residual tax receipts to the school district via property tax on 50+ Initial $400-500k homes until the end of time is not the great deal that Lindner’s spinmeisters want to make you believe. Once again these jerks are trying to screw over taxpayers like we are their personal ATM.

Oh, I didn't see where there would be a big drop off, just saw the letter saying they'd pay a consistent amount thereafter the ten years.

I guess we would have to know the consistent amount versus the tax receipts after the ten year tax abatement.

03-15-2018 09:43 AM
The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

(03-15-2018 09:41 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  It was a deadline. It was a pressure tactic. A good one if the seller was actually in the market to sell. A bad one if it was an unsolicited offer.

The community down there largely doesn’t want this and frankly I don’t blame them if it’s their home and where they want to raise their families...they are smart enough to know they’d mostly be displaced before the stadium opened in favor of upscale condos and gentrification by folks who currently are not part of the community in appreciably high numbers.

A lot of the properties have already been bought up and are being sat on in anticipation of the community (and resident) makeover.

I guess I phrased it poorly. Yes, it was a deadline.

Regardless, if they, the school and community, don't want it then I can't blame them. I'll be bummed if it ends up in Oakley though. Really pulling for Newport.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2018 09:52 AM by The T-Shirt.)
03-15-2018 09:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.