Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SB = 500k but lots of weekday gm's, CUSA = 400k, no weekday gm's but fewer tv gm's...
Bookmark and Share
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
SB = 500k but lots of weekday gm's, CUSA = 400k, no weekday gm's but fewer tv gm's...
SBC gets 500k from ESPN, lotta games on TV but probably mostly weekdays. Everything else streamable through ESPN3/+ etc.

CUSA gets 400k from CBS, not many games on TV but the ones we do will probably be on Saturdays (otherwise, this is REALLY a terrible deal IMO). Everything else streamable on FB, Stadium etc.

Is this a fair comparison in a nutshell?
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 06:56 PM by TTT.)
03-14-2018 06:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
RE: SB = 500k but lots of weekday gm's, CUSA = 400k, no weekday gm's but fewer tv gm's...
ESPN3 will now cost a little ($4.99 month)
Several CBS Sports Net games will be Thur/Friday.
beIN is still a partner.
Still talking to ESPN.
03-14-2018 07:04 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: SB = 500k but lots of weekday gm's, CUSA = 400k, no weekday gm's but fewer tv gm's...
(03-14-2018 06:55 PM)TTT Wrote:  SBC gets 500k from ESPN, lotta games on TV but probably mostly weekdays. Everything else streamable through ESPN3/+ etc.

CUSA gets 400k from CBS, not many games on TV but the ones we do will probably be on Saturdays (otherwise, this is REALLY a terrible deal IMO). Everything else streamable on FB, Stadium etc.

Everything else will not be streamable on Facebook/Stadium but if I remember correctly you still control your 3rd tier rights so you can steam them on CUSA Network which I believe is PPV???

Sent from my B3-A20 using CSNbbs mobile app
03-14-2018 07:13 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Asked this on another thread but will here also. How much of the Sun Belt's monetary value is in production costs?

That $500K is a little bit misleading, because we know it includes the cost of doing business whereas the $400K for C-USA is straight cash.
03-14-2018 07:38 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Also, only locked in for 5 years instead of 10.
03-14-2018 07:39 PM
All American

(03-14-2018 07:38 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Asked this on another thread but will here also. How much of the Sun Belt's monetary value is in production costs?

That $500K is a little bit misleading, because we know it includes the cost of doing business whereas the $400K for C-USA is straight cash.
I answered that over there but will here also. All fooball games were already being produced by the schools plus with the exception of Little Rock & ULM most other sports were also being streamed so the money was already budgeted for most Sun Belt schools even with our old contract. Any increase will be a true gain for the bulk of the Sun Belt schools.

03-14-2018 07:53 PM
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
(03-14-2018 07:53 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 07:38 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Asked this on another thread but will here also. How much of the Sun Belt's monetary value is in production costs?

I answered that over there but will here also. All fooball games were already being produced by the schools plus with the exception of Little Rock & ULM most other sports were also being streamed so the money was already budgeted for most Sun Belt schools even with our old contract. Any increase will be a true gain for the bulk of the Sun Belt schools.

Awesome.

The money everyone gets worked up about means less to me. The irritating thing is having to constantly hunt down which avenue your team plays on that week.

Doesn't look like that's changing for us. Good for the belt teams. We all need to keep beating the major players. Once we get to a point where we ate no longer competitive, we're done.
03-14-2018 07:57 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen

I can’t speak for all Sun Belt schools but Georgia Southern has been producing our own ESPN quality broadcasts for a while. As such, we already have the money built into our budget for those things. Any increase in payout, we will be able to just pocket.
03-14-2018 07:59 PM
Heisman

Thanks. I believe you are missing the point of my question though. I'm not talking about equipment. I'm talking about the cost to produce. I doubt anyone retains production crews just for the purpose of showing games, because it would cost more than to simply contract the crews. Every time that truck moves it cost money. There are the technicians required to ensure cable for video and audio are set up. There's the crew needed to run the actual production inside the truck (i.e. camera feeds, replays, etc). There's the camera crew. I suspect the Belt just uses dual feed with the announcers for both radio and TV but if not you have to pay the announcers, spotters, etc. Production costs for any single game of football typically run around $50000 sans any on air talent fees. Basketball you can do a little cheaper but if you are broadcasting all of your home games that could be as much $300,000 in cost and that's before you do any basketball, baseball or other Olymoic sports.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 08:10 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
03-14-2018 08:05 PM
All American

(03-14-2018 08:05 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

Thanks. I believe you are missing the point of my question though. I'm not talking about equipment. I'm talking about the coast to produce. I doubt anyone retains production crews just for the purpose of showing games, because it would cost more than to simply contracting the crews. Every time that truck moves it cost money. There are the technicians required to ensure cable for video and audio are set up. There's the crew needed to run the actual production inside the truck (i.e. camera feeds, replays, etc). There's the camera crew. I suspect the Belt just uses dual feed with the announcers for both radio and TV but if not you have to pay the announcers, spotters, etc. Production costs for any single game of football typically run around $50000 sans any on air talent fees. Basketball you can do a little cheaper but if you are broadcasting all of your home games that could be as much $300,000 in cost and that's before you do any basketball, baseball or other Olymoic sports.
I don't know the numbers on that but I do know we are already broadcasting the bulk of our games at Georgia Southern so we still have been already paying for that. I have been able to watch most conference away games in basketball as well so it seems most in the Sun Belt are close to what GS is doing.

03-14-2018 08:11 PM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(03-14-2018 06:55 PM)TTT Wrote:  SBC gets 500k from ESPN, lotta games on TV but probably mostly weekdays. Everything else streamable through ESPN3/+ etc.

The amount of games guaranteed to be on linear TV through CBSSports is about the same as the Sun Belt is promised through the ESPN chanels. If you count Stadium as TV games we'll get more but those are obviously only available in certain markets.
03-14-2018 08:17 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(03-14-2018 08:11 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  

Thanks. I believe you are missing the point of my question though. I'm not talking about equipment. I'm talking about the coast to produce. I doubt anyone retains production crews just for the purpose of showing games, because it would cost more than to simply contracting the crews. Every time that truck moves it cost money. There are the technicians required to ensure cable for video and audio are set up. There's the crew needed to run the actual production inside the truck (i.e. camera feeds, replays, etc). There's the camera crew. I suspect the Belt just uses dual feed with the announcers for both radio and TV but if not you have to pay the announcers, spotters, etc. Production costs for any single game of football typically run around $50000 sans any on air talent fees. Basketball you can do a little cheaper but if you are broadcasting all of your home games that could be as much $300,000 in cost and that's before you do any basketball, baseball or other Olymoic sports.
I don't know the numbers on that but I do know we are already broadcasting the bulk of our games at Georgia Southern so we still have been already paying for that. I have been able to watch most conference away games in basketball as well so it seems most in the Sun Belt are close to what GS is doing.

Fair enough. Was just curious. In the last few years in the Belt, MT was actually producing it's on stuff for ESPN3, but we owned our own truck, equipment, etc., and it was student run through the mass comm program. Otherwise, the cost to produce would have been untenable. I'm sure folks have figured out how to lessen the cost from a typical production, but it's still going to cost something.
03-14-2018 08:24 PM
itsmeagain Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU

Thanks. I believe you are missing the point of my question though. I'm not talking about equipment. I'm talking about the cost to produce. I doubt anyone retains production crews just for the purpose of showing games, because it would cost more than to simply contract the crews. Every time that truck moves it cost money. There are the technicians required to ensure cable for video and audio are set up. There's the crew needed to run the actual production inside the truck (i.e. camera feeds, replays, etc). There's the camera crew. I suspect the Belt just uses dual feed with the announcers for both radio and TV but if not you have to pay the announcers, spotters, etc. Production costs for any single game of football typically run around $50000 sans any on air talent fees. Basketball you can do a little cheaper but if you are broadcasting all of your home games that could be as much $300,000 in cost and that's before you do any basketball, baseball or other Olymoic sports.

This will likely depend on the school. Georgia State already has a statewide TV channel as a part of the film school that produces the ESPN3 content, so not only is the cost accounted for in that, the cost is paid for through academic funds from the film school rather than from the athletic budget, so any increase in funding from the conference is extra money for the athletics budget.
03-14-2018 08:43 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
Does anyone have a link to the 500k for the Sun Belt tv deal?
03-14-2018 09:03 PM
itsmeagain Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
(03-14-2018 09:03 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  Does anyone have a link to the 500k for the Sun Belt tv deal?

No. Its not been reported while other conference are negotiating contracts. Everything we know is just from what people have been hearing from people they know at the schools.
03-14-2018 09:05 PM
ChooChoo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia State
Honestly, comparing $400k vs $500k when the kids down the hall are getting +$20million. It's humiliating just debating it.
03-15-2018 03:39 AM
Advertisement

odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Pretty sad all you need to do is schedule a body bag game in football and you'll likely double the TV contract money for your school
03-15-2018 04:54 AM
jaminniner Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte
Rutgers is getting around $34 million a year. Strange world we live in when a school that's never been successful in sports gets way more media money than whole conferences.
03-15-2018 05:35 AM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says sun belt schools cannot stream due to lack of internet.
03-15-2018 06:54 AM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(03-15-2018 04:54 AM)odu09 Wrote:  Pretty sad all you need to do is schedule a body bag game Liberty in football and you'll likely double the TV contract money for your school

FIFY
03-15-2018 08:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.