Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rumor: Traditional Power Conferences to create private tournament
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Rumor: Traditional Power Conferences to create private tournament
In the immediate aftermath of UMBC's upset of Virginia as well as other non-major upsets, the traditional power conferences have decided to cut bait and create their own private tournament according to some sources.

The tournament would resemble the NIT before the NCAA took it over, giving them autonomy over colleges basketball's postseason. In addition, each game requires a large financial buy-in, similar to the format of the CBI tournament, effectively locking out anyone who can't pay their absurb rates.
03-17-2018 06:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Rumor: Traditional Power Conferences to create private tournament
(03-17-2018 06:48 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  In the immediate aftermath of UMBC's upset of Virginia as well as other non-major upsets, the traditional power conferences have decided to cut bait and create their own private tournament ...

Some who think the reason we don't have an expanded and inclusive football playoffs is because of P5 "fear" that G5 conference teams would win it, want to think that the Power leagues are panicking over this UMBC > Virginia result.

But just as they are wrong about why we have a four-team FBS playoff, they are wrong about this as well: The other power conferences are reveling in this result, nobody is 'scared' by it. It is all good, as it is providing that much more media attention to the Big Dance.

If anything, the other power leagues* are just enjoying a big chuckle at ACC embarrassment right now. And even the ACC, while wiping egg off its face, knows that it is still in very good position, with 5 teams in the final 32 including 2 or 3 that could make the Final Four.

That's it. 07-coffee3

* Except for the PAC. They aren't laughing at anyone else right now.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2018 07:08 AM by quo vadis.)
03-17-2018 07:03 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-17-2018 06:48 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  In the immediate aftermath of UMBC's upset of Virginia as well as other non-major upsets, the traditional power conferences have decided to cut bait and create their own private tournament according to some sources.

The tournament would resemble the NIT before the NCAA took it over, giving them autonomy over colleges basketball's postseason. In addition, each game requires a large financial buy-in, similar to the format of the CBI tournament, effectively locking out anyone who can't pay their absurb rates.

Nice job of trolling.
03-17-2018 07:36 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Wait....

A team in 5 man sport in a single elimination tournament pulled an upset?! Why what could we call this unprecedented event? Maybe a reference to a fairy tale rags-to-riches story???
03-17-2018 08:06 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I clicked on this link because of the history of the OP on this board. I'm OK with poking fun at UVa and the ACC. This was an embarrassing loss. However, parlaying that into an across-the-board, "the P5 is going to take the money block out the rest of the world" post is straight up trolling DUDE style. I expected more from C2.
03-17-2018 09:19 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
It would actually be pretty funny if UMBC singlehandedly caused the tournament to end or 20 conferences to be banned.
03-17-2018 10:07 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(03-17-2018 09:19 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  I clicked on this link because of the history of the OP on this board. I'm OK with poking fun at UVa and the ACC. This was an embarrassing loss. However, parlaying that into an across-the-board, "the P5 is going to take the money block out the rest of the world" post is straight up trolling DUDE style. I expected more from C2.

I'm ok with it...as an ACC fan it doesn't really bother me. I'm secure in knowing the ACC is a top conference in Football and Basketball among just a few sports.

Overall, great for the tourney...the ACC teams took a hit as most were expecting at least 3-4 units from UVA.
03-17-2018 11:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
A 16 seed winning a first round game all it does it justify the continuation of model where all conference champs have automatic bids.
03-17-2018 11:41 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(03-17-2018 07:36 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 06:48 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  In the immediate aftermath of UMBC's upset of Virginia as well as other non-major upsets, the traditional power conferences have decided to cut bait and create their own private tournament according to some sources.

Nice job of trolling.

Yeah, it wasn't obvious that I was trolling or anything.
03-17-2018 01:16 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(03-17-2018 08:06 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  Wait....

A team in 5 man sport in a single elimination tournament pulled an upset?! Why what could we call this unprecedented event? Maybe a reference to a fairy tale rags-to-riches story???

Umm, what happened last night, specifically, has never happened.
03-17-2018 01:19 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
If college basketball's tourney was setup like football's, we'd have roughly 16 teams making the big dance meaning that the worst team in the field (on paper) would be Arizona. Yep, the current CFP is the perfect setup to a football postseason.
03-17-2018 01:30 PM
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(03-17-2018 01:16 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 07:36 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Nice job of trolling.

Yeah, it wasn't obvious that I was trolling or anything.

Poe's law
03-17-2018 02:31 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
(03-17-2018 01:19 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 08:06 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  Wait....

Umm, what happened last night, specifically, has never happened.

Yes I know, and while great, upsets in basketball are pretty common
03-17-2018 04:14 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

But not a 1/16 upset. That kind of upset isn't even normal in the regular season.
03-17-2018 07:27 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(03-17-2018 07:27 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  But not a 1/16 upset. That kind of upset isn't even normal in the regular season.

Vegas had UMBC a 20 pt dog or so...it has happened before for a 20 pt dog to win.

UVA wasn't a 1 seed after they lost their player and UMBC should not have been a 16 seed.
03-17-2018 10:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

20 point dog maybe because of their scoring. Virginia isn't beating much of anyone by more than 20.
03-17-2018 11:07 PM
Advertisement

AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
The creation of the quadrant system is all the evidence you need to realize the power conferences are doing all they can to eliminate as many mid-majors as possible from the tournament.
03-18-2018 07:43 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(03-17-2018 10:29 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 07:27 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  But not a 1/16 upset. That kind of upset isn't even normal in the regular season.

Vegas had UMBC a 20 pt dog or so...it has happened before for a 20 pt dog to win.

UVA wasn't a 1 seed after they lost their player and UMBC should not have been a 16 seed.

UMBC was not the #68 seed, so to speak. I think that would have gone to LIU or one of the other play-in 16’s. I was puzzled as to why the committee set it up that way.
03-18-2018 09:55 AM
dunstvangeet Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Oregon State
(03-18-2018 09:55 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 10:29 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

UMBC was not the #68 seed, so to speak. I think that would have gone to LIU or one of the other play-in 16’s. I was puzzled as to why the committee set it up that way.

65-68 seeds are the following teams: LIU Brooklyn, Radford, North Carolina Central, Texas Southern.

Now, that being said, that means that UMBC was either the 63rd or the 64th seed (given that they took one of the other two #16-seed slots).

I believe that they don't release the overall seedings, but just group them in groups of 4.
03-22-2018 06:29 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
"How much is the buy-in?"

"$20 dollars, same as in town."
03-22-2018 06:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.