Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I much prefer college football's format
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
The regional champion should have been Virginia. We already knew that before the tournament.

Rather than actually having to prove it on the court, they should have been awarded the south regional before a game was played. It sucks that Loyola won games and is nearly a game from the Final Four, because we already knew they couldn't compete with a Tennessee or Miami (notice I didn't say Nevada, since they aren't in one of those conferences).

I'm sorely disappointed about a Final Four not involving the top four seeds Villanova, Kansas, Virginia and Xavier. It's obvious those were the best four teams.
03-22-2018 08:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
If it was that obvious they would be there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-22-2018 09:21 PM
BobL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
RE: I much prefer college football's format
I thought the sarcasm in the OP was crystal clear.
03-22-2018 09:31 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
College Football will never be able to duplicate March Madness - no matter how many teams are in a playoff. You create a 4-team playoff, fans complain about who is 5th and 6th. Create an 8-team playoff, fans complain about who is 9th and 10th. At least in college basketball, you are arguing about who is 69th, 70th, 71st and 72nd.
03-22-2018 10:12 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

And for the record, I'm referring to the logic of Quo more than anyone in these debates, dating back to football season.

You can't add UCF to the playoffs or have a playoffs with an auto-bid for teams from outside the TPC because we already "know" they can't compete.
03-22-2018 10:12 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(03-22-2018 10:12 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  College Football will never be able to duplicate March Madness - no matter how many teams are in a playoff. You create a 4-team playoff, fans complain about who is 5th and 6th. Create an 8-team playoff, fans complain about who is 9th and 10th. At least in college basketball, you are arguing about who is 69th, 70th, 71st and 72nd.

Create an 8-team playoff, including 5 auto-bids for the most well known conferences and another for the best of the rest and I think the complaining would be minimal. Each team would feel like it controlled its own destiny. It'd be a rare occurance for any undefeated team not to be in the playoffs. If so, we can only presume they had a really weak schedule.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2018 10:22 PM by C2__.)
03-22-2018 10:18 PM
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
(03-22-2018 09:31 PM)BobL Wrote:  I thought the sarcasm in the OP was crystal clear.

I got played.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-22-2018 10:34 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
hold on here, I tought we need playoffs to get a true champion
now it's not true champ because we don't like the results

you don't have to prove on the court, but you have to prove on the field
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2018 10:37 PM by templefootballfan.)
03-22-2018 10:35 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I prefer football because it actually matters what you do for a season. It has issues, but no fewer than basketball which lets taleted teams play medicore until March and then be called national champs. I like every game having significance and I just never feel that with basketball till March.
03-22-2018 11:00 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
To make the analogy more apt, college football would need FBS and FCS to merge and then auto-bid every single conference champion team into that playoff. You're talking at least a 32 team playoff at that point. 32->16->8->4->2 ... that's an entire MONTH of playoff if you give teams a week between games. And at that point you're telling the bowls to take a hike except the really big ones. It would have to be home of the higher seed until the round of 8 at the earliest.
03-22-2018 11:16 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
I miss the BCS. Every week mattered and the bowl games had meaning.
03-22-2018 11:19 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

@Ohio1317

Yeah, it matters what you do in the season until it doesn't. Imagine if Notre Dame, the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac, and SEC champs go unbeaten. Just for kicks, the AAC champ and MWC go unbeaten with really good wins. Suddenly, a bunch of really good teams get left out.

In college basketball, good teams play good teams in the regular season then get to prove their worth in March, where almost every team controls their own destiny from the conference tournament on. Just stop with your BS excuses. Not just you but everyone with logic like you. There's no reason each team can't dream of playing for a national title at the start of the season.
03-22-2018 11:21 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(03-22-2018 10:18 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(03-22-2018 10:12 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  College Football will never be able to duplicate March Madness - no matter how many teams are in a playoff. You create a 4-team playoff, fans complain about who is 5th and 6th. Create an 8-team playoff, fans complain about who is 9th and 10th. At least in college basketball, you are arguing about who is 69th, 70th, 71st and 72nd.

Create an 8-team playoff, including 5 auto-bids for the most well known conferences and another for the best of the rest and I think the complaining would be minimal. Each team would feel like it controlled its own destiny. It'd be a rare occurance for any undefeated team not to be in the playoffs. If so, we can only presume they had a really weak schedule.

If it goes to an 8-team playoff, it will most likely be the consolidation of the P5 into some type of a P4 with the conference championship games acting as a de facto quarterfinal. Either that or a 6-team playoff with the five P5 conference champions, and a wild card (highest ranked non-champion/ND).

I just don't see the powers that be freely or willingly decide to share their money and exposure out of the goodness of their hearts.
03-22-2018 11:22 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
You gotta work out paying players 1st
03-22-2018 11:24 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(03-22-2018 11:19 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  I miss the BCS. Every week mattered and the bowl games had meaning.

Just stop it, you people are so full of it you're constipated.
03-22-2018 11:26 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(03-22-2018 11:16 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  To make the analogy more apt, college football would need FBS and FCS to merge and then auto-bid every single conference champion team into that playoff. You're talking at least a 32 team playoff at that point. 32->16->8->4->2 ... that's an entire MONTH of playoff if you give teams a week between games. And at that point you're telling the bowls to take a hike except the really big ones. It would have to be home of the higher seed until the round of 8 at the earliest.

Yes, you'd have to include FCS. FCS conference champs would be at least as competitive in a football playoff as the weakest basketball conference champs are in March Madness.

And since we're making an analogy to March Madness, the NCAA has a rule that guarantees there will be at least as many at-large teams in MM as autobid teams.

23 Division I football conferences, at least 46 teams in that football playoff.
03-22-2018 11:38 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Why would they HAVE to be included? They have their own attendance and scholarship requirements, thus their own subdivision. Now a few FBS teams should be FCS but that doesn't mean you merge both levels.
03-23-2018 12:01 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(03-23-2018 12:01 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Why would they HAVE to be included? They have their own attendance and scholarship requirements, thus their own subdivision. Now a few FBS teams should be FCS but that doesn't mean you merge both levels.

Then split D-1 basketball like football is. Sure, you'll get your App State over Michigan or UMBC over Virginia. But for every 1 of those there's thousands of lopsided defeats. And if we're honest ... there's more than 100 teams in college basketball who flat out have no hope in hell. More than half that have never even been to the tournament. You could probably fairly easily cull almost 200 teams from D-1 basketball.
03-23-2018 12:22 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Amazing. Pin this thread till the end of time.
03-23-2018 12:38 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(03-23-2018 12:22 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(03-23-2018 12:01 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Why would they HAVE to be included? They have their own attendance and scholarship requirements, thus their own subdivision. Now a few FBS teams should be FCS but that doesn't mean you merge both levels.

Then split D-1 basketball like football is. Sure, you'll get your App State over Michigan or UMBC over Virginia. But for every 1 of those there's thousands of lopsided defeats. And if we're honest ... there's more than 100 teams in college basketball who flat out have no hope in hell. More than half that have never even been to the tournament. You could probably fairly easily cull almost 200 teams from D-1 basketball.

D-I is already split, that's why each member of FBS should be granted a realistic shot at the title.
03-23-2018 12:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.