Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When Message Boards and Universities Collide
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
When Message Boards and Universities Collide
http://www.salukination.net/viewforum.php?f=5

Anyone hear about this? This is a weird one and takes awhile to dig through the rabbithole.

Apparently this message board of crazies convinced themselves boosters were buying the Coach out months ago and it was a done deal come March. Never mind that the Coach inherited an 8-win team, finished 2nd with an injury-riddled roster, and returns nearly the whole team next year.

They had a 600+ page thread celebrating their exploits in getting the coach fired. Problem was they merely convinced themselves and that wasn’t reality.

Fast forward to March. The coach wasn’t fired and the message board lost its collective ****. Some members were employees of SIU and knew each other’s identities. This led to doxxing and one member to report the others’ posts to the Chancellor, the Chancellor contacting the employees, and people losing their jobs.

Now the board is shutting down. 03-lmfao

Anyone got crazy stories of this happening at other schools?
03-23-2018 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: When Message Boards and Universities Collide
Something similar happened a few years back. I don't remember exactly what happened or what school. It was a MAC school I believe, one of the directional Michigans IIRC.
03-23-2018 09:23 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
And to boot, it happened on this site on the MACBBS, IIRC.
03-23-2018 09:25 PM
Advertisement

RandomFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Mid-Majors
I saw that a few days ago when I was browsing the MVCfans board and found a temporary home for the Salukis there. Never seen anything quite like it.
03-23-2018 09:26 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(03-23-2018 09:23 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Something similar happened a few years back. I don't remember exactly what happened or what school. It was a MAC school I believe, one of the directional Michigans IIRC.

WMU. Had to do with posters starting a rumor of an affair. They got sued and banned, IIRC.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2018 09:47 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
03-23-2018 09:33 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(03-23-2018 09:33 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(03-23-2018 09:23 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Something similar happened a few years back. I don't remember exactly what happened or what school. It was a MAC school I believe, one of the directional Michigans IIRC.

WMU. Had to do with posters starting a rumor of an affair. They got sued and banned, IIRC.

Yeah I think that was it, the falsehoods had something to do with PJ Fleck's wife and a booster I think; they subpoenaed GTS and he legally was forced to reveal their identities to the lawyers.
03-23-2018 10:06 PM
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Liberty forced one of their school message boards to change their name because they didn’t like that it was using their nickname. It was Flame Fans, now it is Sea of Red.
03-24-2018 04:50 PM
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(03-24-2018 04:50 PM)sctvman Wrote:  Liberty forced one of their school message boards to change their name because they didn’t like that it was using their nickname. It was Flame Fans, now it is Sea of Red.

Something similar happened with a Texas message board. It was formerly called Shaggy Bevo, but it is now called Shaggy Texas. I'm not sure if UT came after them for copyright issues on the mascot Bevo, or if it was a pre-emptive act by the site owners.
03-24-2018 08:17 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
Didn't an App State fan troll the entire Charlotte athletic department?
03-24-2018 08:21 PM
Advertisement

dunstvangeet Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Oregon State
It happens all the time here as well. How many threads have I had to endure that seem convinced that Boise State is just on the verge of receiving a PAC-12 invte? How many threads have I had to endure that have said that the PAC-12 was going to break up, so that they could effectively kick Oregon State and Washington State out?

Fans tend to be delusional, especially when it comes to being in an echo chamber.
03-24-2018 08:32 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
Maybe we should establish a site wide Mod Appreciation Day here on CSNBBS where we shower the Mods with rep points, digital greeetings and other meaningless **** for putting up with the rest of us' bull**** all year. Reading through our truffles and bs every day. I've been nominated for Mod a few times and I laughingly reply No ******* Way because I understand the what a thankless job it is. I'm do appreciate the free platform to spout my bull**** though. So thank you to GTS and the Mods here and cheers04-cheers

Pro tip: Keep it civil and visit the Victoria Secrets Lengerie section every now and then and those banner ads are an enhancement instead of a burden.
03-24-2018 09:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.