Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Countdown to ACC Network
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Countdown to ACC Network
Just 500 or so days until the launch of the ACC Network cable channel...
(yeah, it sounds ridiculously far off still, but let's face it - this is a DEAD time for REAL ACC sports news)

Is ESPN doing anything to promote it yet? Maybe so...

[Image: ?sig=88c390c980d4fa53d37ef16fbdc53ec3dfb...=powerplay]
Notice anything about these teams?

from my blog post ESPN and Verizon pushing ACC FB?

Also, the Mouse begins training ACC schools how to produce the games starting this August - see ACC Network News - FSU

Heard any other updates lately?
03-26-2018 07:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: Countdown to ACC Network
(03-26-2018 07:08 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Just 500 or so days until the launch of the ACC Network cable channel...
(yeah, it sounds ridiculously far off still, but let's face it - this is a DEAD time for REAL ACC sports news)

Also, the Mouse begins training ACC schools how to produce the games starting this August - see ACC Network News - FSU

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports...425024002/

Production training does start in August.....check out the last two lines....

"The network, according to reports, is projected to make an additional $8-10 million in 2019-20. That total could increase to between $10-15 million in future years."
03-26-2018 07:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(03-26-2018 07:18 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 07:08 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Just 500 or so days until the launch of the ACC Network cable channel...

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports...425024002/

Production training does start in August.....check out the last two lines....

"The network, according to reports, is projected to make an additional $8-10 million in 2019-20. That total could increase to between $10-15 million in future years."

The actual revenue of the ACCN will be an interesting plot to watch. It's modeled after the SECN, which has gaudy carriage rates inside the footprint, but some of them are on low population states (AL, MS, KY). I would think that the states of TX, GA, and FL are the major drivers to the SECN big numbers. One would expect the ACCN carriage rates to be lower in NY, MA, and PA, but the number of cable subscribers in those metro areas could be the driving factor to good profit numbers. I would also think that the ND factor would help the carriage rate in the northeast, and possibly into Chicago given their following. I would expect the carriage rates to be pretty high in NC, SC, FL, and VA. GT doesn't have near as large of a following in GA, but I'd think the carriage rate would be decent.

I'm not a TV executive, so my speculation is about as valuable as any other message board speculation (i.e. very fallible and nearly meaningless). I have noticed a trend that the ACC has a tendency to outperform the expectations of message board doomsday prophets. They said there would be a mass exodus after the UMBC departure. There wasn't. They said there would never be a GOR. The GOR was signed. They said there would never be a ACCN. It's kicking off in a year. They still say that the ACCN will never make decent money. We'll see how it plays out. There was a precarious time after the departure of UMBC, to be sure, but the conference has been pretty darn resilient.
03-26-2018 07:35 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(03-26-2018 07:35 AM)ren.hoek Wrote:  I have noticed a trend that the ACC has a tendency to outperform the expectations of message board doomsday prophets. They said there would be a mass exodus after the UMBC departure. There wasn't. They said there would never be a GOR. The GOR was signed. They said there would never be a ACCN. It's kicking off in a year. They still say that the ACCN will never make decent money. We'll see how it plays out. There was a precarious time after the departure of UMBC, to be sure, but the conference has been pretty darn resilient.

That's cause the ACC schools want to be together. The NC and VA core along with Ga Tech enjoys sharing a conference with each other. ND enjoys the flexibility the ACC gives them, Miami and Louisville love the ACC, while the NE 3 are glad to finally have some stability along with the good money coming in.
03-26-2018 08:24 AM
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
One would expect the ACCN carriage rates to be lower in NY, MA, and PA, but the number of cable subscribers in those metro areas could be the driving factor to good profit numbers.
[/quote]

I wouldn't be so sure about a lower carriage fee in the NY, MA and PA areas. Yes, they are pro sports areas; however, the Northeast love basketball and if basketball is what led to a successful Big Ten launch, why not for the best college basketball conference in the NE. The Northeast in basketball is the same you see for the Southeast in football. So, I wouldn't expect lower fees in those states. Also, I believe the Mouse packaged the Disney channels with the SECN and ACCN.
03-26-2018 09:28 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Countdown to ACC Network
They said at the original ACCN announcement that 2018 was a possibility, any chance of it launching this fall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-26-2018 09:52 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(03-26-2018 08:24 AM)solohawks Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 07:35 AM)ren.hoek Wrote:  I have noticed a trend that the ACC has a tendency to outperform the expectations of message board doomsday prophets. They said there would be a mass exodus after the UMBC departure. There wasn't. They said there would never be a GOR. The GOR was signed. They said there would never be a ACCN. It's kicking off in a year. They still say that the ACCN will never make decent money. We'll see how it plays out. There was a precarious time after the departure of UMBC, to be sure, but the conference has been pretty darn resilient.

That's cause the ACC schools want to be together. The NC and VA core along with Ga Tech enjoys sharing a conference with each other. ND enjoys the flexibility the ACC gives them, Miami and Louisville love the ACC, while the NE 3 are glad to finally have some stability along with the good money coming in.

True. The ACC allows ND football to remain out of a conference, which is always the Prime Directive and principal driver of ND's realignment considerations and decisions.

Besides that, the ACC affiliation has a really good "fit" and comfort level for ND with a fairly large number of private schools and schools with a prior relationship with ND, both on the institutional (Pitt, BC, Georgia Tech, FSU, Miami) and personal levels (White, Hatch, etc..).

It also gives ND access to the Boston to Miami region, with a Northeast presence and exposure where ND wants it, for fan base and recruiting purposes. It does not "regionalize" ND in the Midwest.

Those are the reasons ND signed the ACC contracts and GOR through 2036.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2018 10:42 AM by TerryD.)
03-26-2018 10:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Countdown to ACC Network
(03-26-2018 10:41 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

True. The ACC allows ND football to remain out of a conference, which is always the Prime Directive and principal driver of ND's realignment considerations and decisions.

Besides that, the ACC affiliation has a really good "fit" and comfort level for ND with a fairly large number of private schools and schools with a prior relationship with ND, both on the institutional (Pitt, BC, Georgia Tech, FSU, Miami) and personal levels (White, Hatch, etc..).

It also gives ND access to the Boston to Miami region, with a Northeast presence and exposure where ND wants it, for fan base and recruiting purposes. It does not "regionalize" ND in the Midwest.

Those are the reasons ND signed the ACC contracts and GOR through 2036.

Come all the way in, the water is fantastic! LOL

03-26-2018 11:07 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2018 09:52 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  They said at the original ACCN announcement that 2018 was a possibility, any chance of it launching this fall?

None.

2018 was a long shot even when it was announced, but it's my understanding that the economics of it all (from upgrading production equipment and studios at the schools to negotiating carriage with the cable providers) made it impossible. This year is going to be for "training". You should see ESPN-quality broadcasts, but they'll be on ACC Network Extra one more season.

The only extra revenue we know about is the $3M per school bump - there may (or may not) be additional increases this year due to the GOR/contract extension. The ACC tends to keep that sort of thing VERY quiet, whether the news is good or bad. Even the ACC tax return (which we'll probably read about in another month or two) won't really tell us much - that news will come out NEXT year.
03-26-2018 11:14 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(03-26-2018 11:14 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 09:52 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  They said at the original ACCN announcement that 2018 was a possibility, any chance of it launching this fall?

None.

2018 was a long shot even when it was announced, but it's my understanding that the economics of it all (from upgrading production equipment and studios at the schools to negotiating carriage with the cable providers) made it impossible. This year is going to be for "training". You should see ESPN-quality broadcasts, but they'll be on ACC Network Extra one more season.

The only extra revenue we know about is the $3M per school bump - there may (or may not) be additional increases this year due to the GOR/contract extension. The ACC tends to keep that sort of thing VERY quiet, whether the news is good or bad. Even the ACC tax return (which we'll probably read about in another month or two) won't really tell us much - that news will come out NEXT year.

Didn't one of the schools just start work on their production facilities in the last month or so?
03-26-2018 12:14 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

That's cause the ACC schools want to be together. The NC and VA core along with Ga Tech enjoys sharing a conference with each other.

I dunno if I'd put Cavman in there. A better way to sum up GT's cross-conference interests would be they want to play teams on I-20 (east of the Mississippi River), I-75 (south of the Ohio River), and I-85.

I-20: USC-East, Alabama
I-75: Florida State, Tennessee (gap) Miami, Kentucky
I-85: UGAg, Clemson, Auburn, Duke, UNC (gap) NC State, Wake Forest

That really does get most of it. Beyond that ... Notre Dame & Virginia Tech might be it.
03-26-2018 12:56 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2018 12:14 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  

None.

Didn't one of the schools just start work on their production facilities in the last month or so?

I didn't realize until you brought it up, but that's a good point.

Quote:Ga Tech: $10 million, 6,350-foot facility will be built to meet production demands associated with next year's launch of ACC Network - March 7, 2018

Are there other schools just getting started?
03-26-2018 01:07 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Georgia Tech has to find room for it first and has a brand new AD, so not surprising they're among the last to get going.
03-26-2018 01:08 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami

why obscure The U's iconic helmet logo ...

STICKER SHOCK
03-26-2018 01:16 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Countdown to ACC Network
(03-26-2018 01:07 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

None.

Quote:Ga Tech: $10 million, 6,350-foot facility will be built to meet production demands associated with next year's launch of ACC Network - March 7, 2018

The UofL is also just getting started & working out the financing. It's not expected to be ready until 2019.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjour...c.amp.html

03-26-2018 03:06 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke

None.

I'm sure that there are some schools just getting started. I know Duke has its facilities in place. They were built into the football stadium renovations. They're using those facilities now for broadcasts of lacrosse and other similar sports as well as controlling the video and audio at Cameron, Wallace Wade and Koskinen. This gives them time to get up to ESPN standards. I know they didn't use the new facilities for basketball broadcasts this season since I still saw ESPN trucks parked near Cameron.
03-26-2018 03:21 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech

I thought VT had built their studio last year, but apparently it has just been approved.

Virginia Tech to Spend $10 Million on ACC Network Studio
https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/artic...rk-studio/
03-26-2018 04:23 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2018 03:21 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  

None.

I'm sure that there are some schools just getting started. I know Duke has its facilities in place. They were built into the football stadium renovations. They're using those facilities now for broadcasts of lacrosse and other similar sports as well as controlling the video and audio at Cameron, Wallace Wade and Koskinen. This gives them time to get up to ESPN standards. I know they didn't use the new facilities for basketball broadcasts this season since I still saw ESPN trucks parked near Cameron.

I watched some of the soccer broadcasts on ACC Network Extra last year, and I thought Duke was among the best production quality... now I know why.
03-27-2018 12:40 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(03-26-2018 12:56 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

That's cause the ACC schools want to be together. The NC and VA core along with Ga Tech enjoys sharing a conference with each other.

I dunno if I'd put Cavman in there. A better way to sum up GT's cross-conference interests would be they want to play teams on I-20 (east of the Mississippi River), I-75 (south of the Ohio River), and I-85.

I-20: USC-East, Alabama
I-75: Florida State, Tennessee (gap) Miami, Kentucky
I-85: UGAg, Clemson, Auburn, Duke, UNC (gap) NC State, Wake Forest

That really does get most of it. Beyond that ... Notre Dame & Virginia Tech might be it.

In the new world of realignment, where travel will be key, it only makes sense to bring the chickens home to roost.
03-27-2018 04:31 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I couldn't find anything definitive on google but in summary:

Duke, UVA and FSU are ahead of schedule. Duke studios were part of upgrades to the football stadium. UVA studios were part of upgrades to the basketball stadium. They still have to connect the football stadium.

UNC funding was approved in June 2017. Studios will be in Koury Natatorium. That sounds odd but considering it is next door to the Dean Dome and they are talking about a major remodel or demo of the dome, it makes sense.

NCSU funding was approved about the same time. Studios will be located at the Murphy Center at the football stadium.

I did see BC had job ads posted.

ESPN wanted to do start testing a year before the official launch. That may be where the idea of the ACCN starting this summer came from.

The network will eventually broadcast 975 events per year.
03-27-2018 07:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.