Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Will the Big Northern be announced by July?
This poll is closed.
Yes 15.00% 12 15.00%
No 85.00% 68 85.00%
Total 80 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 
The Great Northern Conference
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Exclamation The Great Northern Conference
Our friend Nodak has been saying on here for years that a new FBS Conference called the Great North or Big Northern will form. Not since 1998 has a brand new conference been started and that was the MWC, but he says there’s another one coming...by July 1st. Will it? And who will be the founding members?
1. Montana
2. Montana St
3. North Dakota
4. South Dakota
5. North Dakota St
6. South Dakota St
7. Idaho
8. Idaho St?
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2018 10:05 PM by billybobby777.)
03-28-2018 09:46 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
RE: The Big Northern Conference
Don’t know what name it will be, but a rename of the Summit. Prefer Great Northern, which was a RR that helped pioneer all four states.

Idaho St simply doesn’t have the money or support beyond Pocatello.

Weber St does and has the capacity and facilities to keep up.

Denver and Omaha would be Olympic members if they choose to do so.

WIU, IPFW, and ORU will find their own spots.

The Montana’s, Idaho and Weber St would not be on an MWC move up list unless it lost six to eight members.

I originally had EWU because they seemed to be desperately trying to raise money for a new stadium, but apparently threw in the towel and their AD is now at UND, because he knows it is a promotion. Idaho posters repeatedly warned me the EWU couldn’t build in time, but didnt listen enough. Weber St has just embarked on a student study and workout addition to their stadium, which Montana just completed at their place.

The actual alignment won’t be until the 2020-21 season.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2018 10:11 PM by NoDak.)
03-28-2018 09:52 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

RE: The Great North Conference
(03-28-2018 09:52 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Don’t know what name it will be, but a rename of the Summit. Prefer Great Northern, which was a RR that helped pioneer all four states.

Idaho St simply doesn’t have the money or support beyond Pocatello.

Weber St does and has the capacity and facilities to keep up.

Denver and Omaha would be Olympic members if they choose to do so.

WIU, IPFW, and ORU will find their own spots.

The Montana’s, Idaho and Weber St would not be on an MWC move up list unless it lost six to eight members.

Fixed name to Great Northern
03-28-2018 10:04 PM
TardisCaptain Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Starfleet Acdmy
RE: The Great Northern Conference
I haven't heard any rumblings from Weber St about moving up.

Didn't Northern Iowa want to move up?
03-28-2018 10:24 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Not only will the league be announced 4/20 4:20pm, its new Commissioner will step up to the podium...

Hint: A-T-U
03-28-2018 10:27 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
I voted No, but I'd rather be Yes.
03-28-2018 10:39 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(03-28-2018 10:24 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  I haven't heard any rumblings from Weber St about moving up.

Both UNI and Ind St had local newspaper articles about moving up to FBS when the WAC was almost at deaths door. Thereafter, the WAC commission said a Midwest conference had offered to merge with it, as Idaho and Seattle would have been evicted, so it was voted down. Think that was the MVC and all the MVC fb schools would have moved up. Ill St and Mo St are by far the most capable of that group to move up.

Weber St has not openly talked about a move, but their leadership has talked to their fans in a forum that Big Sky research schools will be leaving. Weber St has greatly upped its game in fb (winning the Sky last season, and scheduling NDSU to a H/H) and their mbb fans often complain about low supported Big Sky schools.
03-28-2018 10:42 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(03-28-2018 10:42 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(03-28-2018 10:24 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  I haven't heard any rumblings from Weber St about moving up.

Both UNI and Ind St had local newspaper articles about moving up to FBS when the WAC was almost at deaths door. Thereafter, the WAC commission said a Midwest conference had offered to merge with it, as Idaho and Seattle would have been evicted, so it was voted down. Think that was the MVC and all the MVC fb schools would have moved up. Ill St and Mo St are by far the most capable of that group to move up.

Weber St has not openly talked about a move, but their leadership has talked to their fans in a forum that Big Sky research schools will be leaving. Weber St has greatly upped its game in fb (winning the Sky last season, and scheduling NDSU to a H/H) and their mbb fans often complain about low supported Big Sky schools.

As much as I respect UNI (grandpa and several cousins, aunts, uncles etc are Panthers) I don’t think they’ll move up. Hawkeyeland rules in football Waterloo/Cedar Falls
Missouri St can and should move up to FBS. Illinois St is also very interesting to me as an FBS move up.
03-28-2018 10:50 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I just dont think most of those schools see enough upside to FBS. These AD's and presidents might nod in agreement when fans and boosters mention it--but behind closed doors---I dont think they really believe it makes economic sense for them. I just dont think its happening.

What I think the ultimate vision for some of the top FCS conferences is some variation of the G5 falling back to FCS for economic reasons--or a separation that creates a "G5 division" that some of the better FCS conferences might find more financially affordable than the current FBS subdivision.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2018 10:57 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-28-2018 10:54 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

U Idaho President has stated that FBS is still possible if it is a close group of schools and he is working toward that. Think this was preordained when the WAC broke down. Montanas did not want travel to Texas and further east teams in a new WAC, while NMSU would look kindly upon them. So Idaho left to set up a new revised conference with the Montana’s.

Looking at the Sun Belt, this conference would have mostly larger endowments, T-shirt fans, better research, and professional schools. It may not be with large metro areas, but CUSA2.0 hasn’t exactly worked as planned. This isn’t an illusion to be with the P5, but to hold their own against the G5 with a smaller budget.

UND’s former women’s basketball, who is not known for extra words but still very much liked, said six years ago that UND’s program is set up for a WAC(-like) future. He knows some billionaire benefactors personally and he doesn’t state things unless he has facts to back them up. UND almost tripled hockey attendance with a shiny new arena, and still suspecting that a new football facility will be gifted and attendance will increase.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2018 11:41 PM by NoDak.)
03-28-2018 11:38 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
(03-28-2018 11:38 PM)NoDak Wrote:  U Idaho President has stated that FBS is still possible if it is a close group of schools and he is working toward that. Think this was preordained when the WAC broke down. Montanas did not want travel to Texas and further east teams in a new WAC, while NMSU would look kindly upon them. So Idaho left to set up a new revised conference with the Montana’s.

No, no, no. Absolutely not.

Idaho's President isn't working toward FBS anything. He's working toward getting out of town and leaving behind the mess he's made. He and his AD spent this evening at a student Senate meeting, where they were debating whether to demand that the AD be fired over the mishandling of sexual harassment and assault complaints.

And he wasn't even here when the WAC broke up. The idea that the idiotic path of jackassery Idaho has been on was some kind of pre-ordained genius plan is just the most preposterous idea possible.
03-28-2018 11:56 PM
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
You should have specified that NoDak's puppet accounts don't get to vote.
03-29-2018 07:19 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-28-2018 10:54 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I just dont think most of those schools see enough upside to FBS. These AD's and presidents might nod in agreement when fans and boosters mention it--but behind closed doors---I dont think they really believe it makes economic sense for them. I just dont think its happening.

What I think the ultimate vision for some of the top FCS conferences is some variation of the G5 falling back to FCS for economic reasons--or a separation that creates a "G5 division" that some of the better FCS conferences might find more financially affordable than the current FBS subdivision.

Agreed. And I'm not sure that separation would be purely voluntary. I had envisioned either that the P5+ would break away from the NCAA or that DI would be broken up into three subdivisions as a way to keep them in the fold.

In my scenario, DI-A would consist of the P5 plus the AAC, MWC and Big East (101 members). DI-AA would include the MAC, CUSA, SBC, MVC, Colonial, Big Sky and Atlantic 10 (85 members) and the remaining 17 conferences would become DI-AAA.

Both DI-A and DI-AA would have the autonomy to set its own post season rules and playoffs / bowl structure. DI-A would be free to decide whether to allow football games against either or both other subdivisions, and whether to include them in any future national championship basketball tournament.

Whether a move like this would trigger realignment between the MVC football conference and the Big Sky isn't something I would have any insight into (or, frankly, interest in).
03-29-2018 07:46 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
The FBS thing is silly, but the idea that the main state schools of the big empty states up top might want to associate with each other as an FCS conference isn't. The continuity/autobid issue is sticky though, and what I think ultimately submarines it.
03-29-2018 11:00 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(03-29-2018 07:19 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  You should have specified that NoDak's puppet accounts don't get to vote.

What pray tell are you talking about? Even the UND board is highly skeptical, though I was the only steadfast one saying a Big Sky berth was inevitable ten years ago. Been literally mocked with the crazy tag for years by the XDSU crowd. Some of them are resigned that Augustana will be the next Summit member because the Sioux Falls media is speculating. XDSU fans have always been very hostile to any UXD idea.

No one questions whether Wyoming should be FBS, but there are many doubters that the rest of the northern flagship schools can attempt it even with each other in tow. The percent of residents that are big football fans is equivalent to Iowa, Kansas or even Nebraska, and those are not large population states by any stretch, with Iowa and Kansas having two P5 programs. Plains states are not Vermont-like.

Understand the hostility of Vandals fans to their President, but Montana and Dakota schools want to be part of a future CFP payout, just like the Belt and MAC are. There had no interest in moving until it was close to the time to be at a bargaining table, so Idaho has to take a temporary fall.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2018 12:30 PM by NoDak.)
03-29-2018 12:11 PM
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass, Army, Rutgers
(03-29-2018 07:46 AM)ken d Wrote:  In my scenario, DI-A would consist of the P5 plus the AAC, MWC and Big East (101 members). DI-AA would include the MAC, CUSA, SBC, MVC, Colonial, Big Sky and Atlantic 10 (85 members) and the remaining 17 conferences would become DI-AAA.

Not a fan of being DI-AA. Not a fan at all. 03-pissed 03-hissyfit
03-29-2018 12:46 PM
Advertisement

desertscholar974 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: New Mexico St
(03-28-2018 09:46 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Our friend Nodak has been saying on here for years that a new FBS Conference called the Great North or Big Northern will form. Not since 1998 has a brand new conference been started and that was the MWC, but he says there’s another one coming...by July 1st. Will it? And who will be the founding members?
1. Montana
2. Montana St
3. North Dakota
4. South Dakota
5. North Dakota St
6. South Dakota St
7. Idaho
8. Idaho St?

A conference of this magnitude would have to give New Mexico State consideration as football only (and possibly with NAU).
03-29-2018 12:54 PM
jacksfan29 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: So Dak St/CU
(03-29-2018 12:11 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(03-29-2018 07:19 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  You should have specified that NoDak's puppet accounts don't get to vote.

What pray tell are you talking about? Even the UND board is highly skeptical, though I was the only steadfast one saying a Big Sky berth was inevitable ten years ago. Been literally mocked with the crazy tag for years by the XDSU crowd. Some of them are resigned that Augustana will be the next Summit member because the Sioux Falls media is speculating. XDSU fans have always been very hostile to any UXD idea.

No one questions whether Wyoming should be FBS, but there are many doubters that the rest of the northern flagship schools can attempt it even with each other in tow. The percent of residents that are big football fans is equivalent to Iowa, Kansas or even Nebraska, and those are not large population states by any stretch, with Iowa and Kansas having two P5 programs. Plains states are not Vermont-like.

Understand the hostility of Vandals fans to their President, but Montana and Dakota schools want to be part of a future CFP payout, just like the Belt and MAC are. There had no interest in moving until it was close to the time to be at a bargaining table, so Idaho has to take a temporary fall.

Wyoming has ONE 4 year school to support plus they draw heavily from the Colorado Front Range where a lot of their alumni live, an area with 5 million residents.

Iowa? Kansas? Nebraska? Iowa has over 3.1 million residents. Kansas almost 3 million with millions more just across the border in Missouri. Nebraska has 2 million in population, and NU is the only D1 football program in the state.

South Dakota has a population of 870,000, two D1 schools to support
North Dakota has a population of 755,000, two D1 schools to support
Montana has a population of just over 1 million and has two D1 schools to support

You get the picture, or maybe you don't.
03-29-2018 05:08 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(03-29-2018 05:08 PM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  
(03-29-2018 12:11 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

Wyoming has ONE 4 year school to support plus they draw heavily from the Colorado Front Range where a lot of their alumni live, an area with 5 million residents.

Iowa? Kansas? Nebraska? Iowa has over 3.1 million residents. Kansas almost 3 million with millions more just across the border in Missouri. Nebraska has 2 million in population, and NU is the only D1 football program in the state.

South Dakota has a population of 870,000, two D1 schools to support
North Dakota has a population of 755,000, two D1 schools to support
Montana has a population of just over 1 million and has two D1 schools to support

You get the picture, or maybe you don't.

Well....New Mexico has always had 2 D-1 schools and they are only 2.1 million
Kansas has 2.5 million people and has always had 3 D-1 schools. 2 are in the cartel
Nevada has 2.7 million people and also have 2 D-1 schools
03-29-2018 06:43 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If the Great Northern was a real plan and 6 Summit schools were involved they could could simply invite all of the WAC schools but one into the Summit, vote to eliminate exit fees, and have the one WAC school left invite them into the WAC.

Presto! You have a Great Northern that then sprinkles a few Big Sky schools in for seasoning.
03-29-2018 07:03 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.