Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why we should let ESPN have the ADN branding
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
Below you will see the ESPN app after the new redesign that came with ESPN+. It would go a long way I would think have the ADN there that people can click on and see all the conference events that’s coming up. I also wouldn’t mind if we gave ESPN Olympic sports (Baseball, Softball, lacrosse, etc) as ESPN+ exclusive content if everything else stayed where it’s at currently and we saw a nice increase in money.

[Image: 30dc33de8c3908b4564a06a478744a64.jpg]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
04-12-2018 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
RE: Why we should let ESPN have the ADN branding
Is that really the group of conferences we want to be associated with?
04-12-2018 02:11 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
I ain't givin ESPN nothin.
04-12-2018 02:13 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(04-12-2018 02:11 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  Is that really the group of conferences we want to be associated with?

That was just a selection, it lists all the broadcast channels along with SEC and ACC before this section.

04-12-2018 02:43 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(04-12-2018 02:13 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  I ain't givin ESPN nothin.

Do you pay for cable? If so roughly $5-7 of that is for Disney channels.

04-12-2018 02:44 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(04-12-2018 02:44 PM)PurpleReigns Wrote:  
(04-12-2018 02:13 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  I ain't givin ESPN nothin.

Do you pay for cable? If so roughly $5-7 of that is for Disney channels.

No cable at my halfway house.
04-12-2018 02:47 PM
Edgebrookjeff Offline
1st String

I Root For: bearcats
ESPN is killing college sports.
04-12-2018 07:53 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
The value they place on ESPN-Plus is interesting. If ESPN is worth 7.50 or so for the very top tier programming—-I find it odd that a streaming network filled with “low value” content ESPN pays almost nothing for is priced at $5 bucks (that’s two thirds of the cost of mothership ESPN). If this thing works, ESPN is literally turning left overs into Prime Rib.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2018 11:48 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-12-2018 11:47 PM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(04-12-2018 11:47 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The value they place on ESPN-Plus is interesting. If ESPN is worth 7.50 or so for the very top tier programming—-I find it odd that a streaming network filled with “low value” content ESPN pays almost nothing for is priced at $5 bucks (that’s two thirds of the cost of mothership ESPN). If this thing works, ESPN is literally turning left overs into Prime Rib.

which is precisely why ESPN is the worldwide leader.
04-13-2018 08:48 AM
Advertisement

The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
Listened to WTF Marc Maron Podcast the other day and he had on Bill Simmons. It was fairly entertaining but the part where he talked about ESPN was interesting. He said they had no idea the "Cord Cutting" phenomenon was coming. He said they thought subscriptions losses were due to "World Cup Fatigue" in 2014.

Simmons says most of those guys at ESPN are gone now and thinks ESPN will handle the new situation with streaming a little better in the future, especially because of their connection to Disney product.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-905-bill-simmons
04-13-2018 09:18 AM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

(04-12-2018 11:47 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The value they place on ESPN-Plus is interesting. If ESPN is worth 7.50 or so for the very top tier programming—-I find it odd that a streaming network filled with “low value” content ESPN pays almost nothing for is priced at $5 bucks (that’s two thirds of the cost of mothership ESPN). If this thing works, ESPN is literally turning left overs into Prime Rib.

At that low of a price point the barrier isn't actually the specific price but rather the willingness to spend money. A 1 dollar decision isn't that different from a 5 dollar decision for most people if they are willing to spend money to gain access to content in the first place.

You can see this dynamic play out in other places online like patreon (5 dollars a month being the most common payment point even when lower options are available) twitchTV or app pricing.
04-13-2018 09:20 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
No cable or Satellite in my house..
04-13-2018 09:32 AM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
ESPN ought to be busted up for running an unlawful monopoly. They are no different than the Borg.

Oh, and I don't even own a tv. Forget cutting the cord. I cut the entire t.v.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2018 09:22 PM by thespiritof1976.)
04-13-2018 09:21 PM
Advertisement

PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(04-13-2018 09:21 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  ESPN ought to be busted up for running an unlawful monopoly. They are no different than the Borg.

Humor me. How the heck does ESPN have a monopoly with NBC Sports, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, BeIN Sports, Stadium, Eleven Sports, etc all around?

04-13-2018 09:27 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
(04-13-2018 09:27 PM)PurpleReigns Wrote:  
(04-13-2018 09:21 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  ESPN ought to be busted up for running an unlawful monopoly. They are no different than the Borg.

Humor me. How the heck does ESPN have a monopoly with NBC Sports, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, BeIN Sports, Stadium, Eleven Sports, etc all around?

If I make you laugh will give me a +3 lol ?

Not much of a humorous person but here goes:

CFP, SEC Network, NBA, MLS, ABC/Disney, All but 2 or 3 bowls, partial ownership of several minor bowls, most of college basketball, most of college football, ESPN3, Mouse money, etc....

Sure, other entities exist but then again so do other political parties yet most would agree that the D's and the R's hold a monopoly in that department.

I mean, yes, I see your point - and yes, you make a good one. I just have a major problem with the control ESPN has over sports - especially college football.
04-13-2018 09:49 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-13-2018 08:48 AM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  

Well, that ignores the fact that ESPN is bundled while ESPN+ is not.

When I signed up for SlingTV at $25/month, it's true that "only" $7.50 went to ESPN... but from my point of view, I was paying $25 for the ESPN family of networks, and Sling was tossing in some other channels for free... that's why it's not really accurate to say that ESPN has been milking people who don't watch sports. Those people decided to buy a bundle because it was worth it to them - whether for the sports or movies or whatever, there was SOMETHING in that bundle that made it worth their money.

Obviously if ESPN were offered a la carte it would cost more - but I just said it was worth $25/month to me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Until that day, I'll take the "free" channels that come along with it, though...
04-14-2018 01:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(04-13-2018 09:49 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  
(04-13-2018 09:27 PM)PurpleReigns Wrote:  

If I make you laugh will give me a +3 lol ?

Not much of a humorous person but here goes:

CFP, SEC Network, NBA, MLS, ABC/Disney, All but 2 or 3 bowls, partial ownership of several minor bowls, most of college basketball, most of college football, ESPN3, Mouse money, etc....

Sure, other entities exist but then again so do other political parties yet most would agree that the D's and the R's hold a duopoly in that department.

I mean, yes, I see your point - and yes, you make a good one. I just have a major problem with the control ESPN has over sports - especially college football.

A monopoly is one, duopoly is two.

Some general knowledge. To be a monopoly you don't have to be the exclusive provider of a service or good. Ma Bell had several competitors including one that survives to this day as Sprint. Standard Oil and US Steel also he competitors but dominated the market in such a way that they created monopolies. To meet the definition of a Monopoly a company only needs to exert a high level of control over a market created by it competitive edge and used to maintain it's advantage and eliminate competitors.

ESPN is walking extremely close to that line. The amount of influence they are showing is remarkable. If over the next few years you seem the cause another obe situation it is very likely someone, an attorney general or the feds, will give them at least a hard look.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2018 11:15 AM by TU4ever.)
04-14-2018 11:14 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-14-2018 01:10 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-13-2018 08:48 AM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  

Well, that ignores the fact that ESPN is bundled while ESPN+ is not.

When I signed up for SlingTV at $25/month, it's true that "only" $7.50 went to ESPN... but from my point of view, I was paying $25 for the ESPN family of networks, and Sling was tossing in some other channels for free... that's why it's not really accurate to say that ESPN has been milking people who don't watch sports. Those people decided to buy a bundle because it was worth it to them - whether for the sports or movies or whatever, there was SOMETHING in that bundle that made it worth their money.

Obviously if ESPN were offered a la carte it would cost more - but I just said it was worth $25/month to me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Until that day, I'll take the "free" channels that come along with it, though...

I agree. I always see that ESPN is being "subsidized" by non-sports fans because of the cable bundle. Sure, that's technically true. But its also true that I dont watch the Food Channel, the Travel Channel, Oxygen, and any number of other networks that offer programming Im not interested in and never tune in for. Thus, many sports viewers are "subsidizing" all these other networks. In fact, every subscriber is "subsidizing" all the networks he doesn't watch on the bundle. "Subsidizing" in the bundle format is not a one way street. You are one of the few people I've seen actually recognize that fact.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2018 11:33 AM by Attackcoog.)
04-14-2018 11:32 AM
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
Is there any provider other than OTA where you can have entertainment that does not require ESPN?
04-14-2018 11:51 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(04-14-2018 11:51 AM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  Is there any provider other than OTA where you can have entertainment that does not require ESPN?

Yes.

Sling TV Blue. No Disney or ESPN but had FS1, NBCSN.

Also Philo TV. No sports or news channels but everything else. Try.philo.com
04-18-2018 07:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.