Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marshall great Hal Greer passes away
Bookmark and Share
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Marshall great Hal Greer passes away
RIP. I wasn't old enough to see him play in the NBA but I recognize the name as one of NBA's early all-time greats. Sounds like he was a local legend in Huntington too.

http://www.syracuse.com/ny-sports/index....lphia.html
04-16-2018 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

THF Thundering Herd Fan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Marshall great Hal Greer passes away
(04-16-2018 10:22 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  RIP. I wasn't old enough to see him play in the NBA but I recognize the name as one of NBA's early all-time greats. Sounds like he was a local legend in Huntington too.

Hal Greer Boulevard marks the western boundary of Marshall’s campus in Huntington.

He had some rough times, I won’t pretend he didn’t. He wasn’t in trouble or anything like that, but something seems to have disassociated him from the area... I have no clue what. But everyone here that I know of was proud to call him a Huntington native and a Son of Marshall.

In many ways, to the general public (of which I am, I have no inside access), he was somewhat an enigma. Almost mysterious in that he didn’t seem to be around here often.

I could be wrong but I think his final public appearance in Huntington was at the closing of the Veterans Memorial Fieldhouse in 2012.

He is certainly worthy of celebration.
04-16-2018 10:38 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
He was named a Top 50 NBA player. I wasn't alive when Greer played (1971 baby) but Ive seen full games and tons of clips from him over the years.

He had a statue unveiled outside of the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia a few years ago. Marshall wanted to bring him back home when they had the last hurrah for the Veterans Memorial Fieldhouse before it was tore down for the new soccer complex but his heath then didn't allow it.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2018 11:15 AM by HerdZoned.)
04-16-2018 11:14 AM
Water Engineer

(04-16-2018 11:14 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  He was named a Top 50 NBA player. I wasn't alive when Greer played (1971 baby) but Ive seen full games and tons of clips from him over the years.

He had a statue unveiled outside of the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia a few years ago. Marshall wanted to bring him back home when they had the last hurrah for the Veterans Memorial Fieldhouse before it was tore down for the new soccer complex but his heath then didn't allow it.

He was at the Fieldhouse for the farewell in 2012. You’ll see pictures in Huntington media from that night in the coming days I am sure.
04-16-2018 12:18 PM
Advertisement

Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-16-2018 10:38 AM)THF Thundering Herd Fan Wrote:  
(04-16-2018 10:22 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  RIP. I wasn't old enough to see him play in the NBA but I recognize the name as one of NBA's early all-time greats. Sounds like he was a local legend in Huntington too.

Hal Greer Boulevard marks the western boundary of Marshall’s campus in Huntington.

He had some rough times, I won’t pretend he didn’t. He wasn’t in trouble or anything like that, but something seems to have disassociated him from the area... I have no clue what. But everyone here that I know of was proud to call him a Huntington native and a Son of Marshall.

In many ways, to the general public (of which I am, I have no inside access), he was somewhat an enigma. Almost mysterious in that he didn’t seem to be around here often.

I could be wrong but I think his final public appearance in Huntington was at the closing of the Veterans Memorial Fieldhouse in 2012.

He is certainly worthy of celebration.

I am curious what is the basis of your comments? What rough times did he have? Why do you think he was "somewhat an enigma"?

I don't think anyone connected to MU or Huntington would ever think "something seems to have disassociated him from the area... I have no clue what."
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2018 01:26 PM by Flat Tire 2.)
04-16-2018 12:45 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
sorry didn't see this thread already

Played for Syracuse and Philly in the NBA. Marshall Basketball GOAT

One of the 50 greatest NBA players of all time. First Black to play college sports in WV.

http://www.syracuse.com/sports/index.ssf...lphia.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Greer
04-16-2018 01:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
I remember him well. Used to love to watch him play back when the NBA was worth watching....RIP.
04-16-2018 01:17 PM
Advertisement

CoachMaclid Offline
All American

Here’s some video interviews compiled from the last game at the Fieldhouse. A lot of Marshall basketball history and tradition captured in this video.

Hal Greer starts right after the 5:15 mark.

04-16-2018 01:26 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-16-2018 12:18 PM)THF Thundering Herd Fan Wrote:  He was at the Fieldhouse for the farewell in 2012. You’ll see pictures in Huntington media from that night in the coming days I am sure.

Who was it that didn't make it back to the Fieldhouse I was thinking it was Greer but was mistaken.

I met Hal Greer in the mid 90s in Houston. I was at a 76er/Rockets game in one of the Sky boxes and started talking to the guy that owned the sky box (who invited me) about Hal Greer and how he played for Marshall. About 10 mins later here come Hal Greer walking into the box.
04-16-2018 02:03 PM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I am attaching a link with a photo of Hal Greer at the event where Huntington Mayor Harold Frankel congratulates Hal Greer at the renaming of Sixteenth Street to Hal Greer Blvd in 1978. I attended the event which was held on the MU campus in front of Old Main. I think the tall man in the picture is former Governor Jay Rockefeller.

http://downtownhuntington.net/hal-greer-...ailblazer/
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2018 02:14 PM by Flat Tire 2.)
04-16-2018 02:09 PM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-16-2018 02:09 PM)Flat Tire 2 Wrote:  I am attaching a link with a photo of Hal Greer at the event where Huntington Mayor Harold Frankel congratulates Hal Greer at the renaming of Sixteenth Street to Hal Greer Blvd in 1978. I attended the event. I think the tall man in the picture is former Governor Jay Rockefeller.

http://downtownhuntington.net/hal-greer-...ailblazer/

Yes that's Jay Rockefeller. Some well one has ask why Greer wasn't engaged with Marshall more. Well one reason is he lived in Arizona and in his last 10 years didn't travel that much. Unlike those who are visible right now like Chad Pennington, JR VanHoose, Byron Leftwich, Tamar Slay and others are a lot younger and live in the area.

That's 2 good Marshall people that have passed away in a weeks time. This time last week Marshall lost Dan Shoemaker. Many of you don't know him but if your school played on ESPN at anytime in the early 90s to early 2010s chances are Shoemaker is the one who scheduled the ESPN game and time. I once just skimmed though his phone and the contacts in there was crazy. He had every DI school AD, Coaches, Asst Coaches, broadcasters. It was a who's who of powerful college folk.
04-16-2018 02:28 PM
Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

CrappiesCrappies
(04-16-2018 10:38 AM)THF Thundering Herd Fan Wrote:  He had some rough times, I won’t pretend he didn’t. He wasn’t in trouble or anything like that, but something seems to have disassociated him from the area... I have no clue what. But everyone here that I know of was proud to call him a Huntington native and a Son of Marshall.

You suck.
04-17-2018 12:38 PM
Water Engineer

(04-17-2018 12:38 PM)Stick4489 Wrote:  
(04-16-2018 10:38 AM)THF Thundering Herd Fan Wrote:  He had some rough times, I won’t pretend he didn’t. He wasn’t in trouble or anything like that, but something seems to have disassociated him from the area... I have no clue what. But everyone here that I know of was proud to call him a Huntington native and a Son of Marshall.

You suck.

What’s that about? The man should absolutely be celebrated and he will be missed. He was proud to be from Huntington and proud to be a Marshall alum. But to most people under 40, they only know the name and know nothing about the man himself. I don’t know a thing about him beyond what I’ve read, but I know he didn’t come around a lot through the years. I don’t think there were any ill feelings. His family simply left the area so he didn’t have anything but the school to come back to. He did every now and then.

All I meant was that most people have no idea about his story or his achievements beyond numbers. He was somewhat reserved from my understanding. Not a thing wrong with that.

I didn’t mean for it to sound ominous.

Go Herd. Hurryin’ Hal’s name will rightly live on in Huntington.
04-17-2018 01:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.