Worst month in Sports?
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Worst month in Sports?
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-12...-the-year/

https://the-cauldron.com/power-rankings-...665715c349

http://thecomeback.com/orig/what-is-the-...-year.html

In my opinion its July. After the MLB all star game, the sports calendar bottoms out only picking up with the NFL preseason, which is an event simply because its something new
04-20-2018 11:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
RE: Worst month in Sports?
(04-20-2018 11:49 AM)solohawks Wrote:  http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-12...-the-year/

https://the-cauldron.com/power-rankings-...665715c349

http://thecomeback.com/orig/what-is-the-...-year.html

In my opinion its July. After the MLB all star game, the sports calendar bottoms out only picking up with the NFL preseason, which is an event simply because its something new

July's actually a really good month if you're an NBA nerd because it's free agency/trade season and then Summer League kicks off with all the new rookies. I'd argue August is worse, but if someone isn't interested in basketball I could see how they'd feel otherwise.
04-20-2018 12:11 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
The day after the MLB all-star game is brutally bad
04-20-2018 12:32 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
February...no football, the most boring part of the NBA and college basketball season, same for hockey if you're into that and baseball hasn't started, not even Spring Training right after the Super Bowl.
04-20-2018 12:43 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
I always say the month after the NHL / NBA playoffs end. It's the only time I watch baseball because it's the only damn thing on.

And then the bliss of fall football camp, and all is right in the world again.
04-20-2018 12:55 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
July
04-20-2018 02:17 PM
Advertisement

PDNJ Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: DU, Iowa
Love baseball, love college basketball so I'd say the two weeks in early November between the two.
04-20-2018 02:20 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
The middle two weeks of April.

College basketball is over, for good. Big letdown after the best tournament in the world is over.

After the hooplah around MLB opening day, the grind starts. It's interesting to follow, but can't go to games yet because it's too cold and kids are still in school.

It's the worst part of the NBA and NHL seasons. End of the regular season so 98% of the games are meaningless. All the good teams are resting their starters for the playoffs, and I don't really care if the last playoff spot is taken by the #8 or the #9 team.
04-20-2018 02:24 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
I used to say August before college football started being played in it. August sucks. Baseball is in the dog days, and outside of camps, football hasn't started. Only redeeming quality is the fact that football is right around the corner or starting at the end of the month -- so July.
04-20-2018 02:32 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I've got to go with August. Preseason NFL football is simply awful - while spring training baseball whets my appetite for the season (if only because it's a sign of spring after a long cold lonely winter), preseason football just annoys me that it's not the real thing. As others have noted, baseball is in the dog days of summer where it's still too far from the end of the season to really focus on the pennant races. There might technically be a day or two of college football at the tail end of August in most years, but it's not enough to compensate for the other 28 or so days of the month. The PGA Championship is going to move to May in 2019, so there won't even be a major golf tournament any more in August after this year. The Summer Olympics can be a redeeming factor, but that's only once every 4 years.

July gets a somewhat bad wrap from a sports perspective. To be sure, it might very well be the worst sports month besides August, but you've still got the MLB All-Star Game, Wimbledon, British Open, and a major soccer tournament 3 out of every 4 years (World Cup, Women's World Cup and the UEFA Euro Championships). As Boog noted, it's also a solid month for NBA fans with the free agency/trade moves (which, IMHO, is consistently the most interesting off-the-field sports talk fodder) and Summer League. (Baseball is the best sport to talk about the past, football is best sport to talk about the present, and basketball is the best sport to talk about the future... and July is all about the future in the NBA.) I'd take that lineup over August's lineup (which is basically a placeholder for the bonanza of September with the start of NFL and college football and the MLB pennant races).
04-20-2018 03:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-20-2018 02:24 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  The middle two weeks of April.

College basketball is over, for good. Big letdown after the best tournament in the world is over.

After the hooplah around MLB opening day, the grind starts. It's interesting to follow, but can't go to games yet because it's too cold and kids are still in school.

It's the worst part of the NBA and NHL seasons. End of the regular season so 98% of the games are meaningless. All the good teams are resting their starters for the playoffs, and I don't really care if the last playoff spot is taken by the #8 or the #9 team.

I think April is probably the most action-packed non-football month. MLB opening day, the NCAA Final and The Masters are basically back-to-back-back at the beginning of the month. You're correct that the last few games of the NBA and NHL regular seasons are brutal to watch, but the playoffs for both sports started right after The Masters this year, so there really isn't any gap during April of high quality sporting events going on. The NFL Draft is always the last week of April, too.
04-20-2018 03:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
In July the CFL is on. April is the worst if you don't like college baseball or your college baseball team is garbage.
04-20-2018 04:26 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-20-2018 11:49 AM)solohawks Wrote:  In my opinion its July.

I don't really care about the MLB All-Star Game, and the NFL training camps and pre-season mean nothing to me, but I am a big fan of tennis.

So I call the period from when Wimbledon ends, typically the first week of July, to the start of college football and then the NFL at the end of August, the "Great Sports Desert", LOL.

But it seems we have the same time period in mind except mind is sadly longer, July/August. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2018 04:58 PM by quo vadis.)
04-20-2018 04:55 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I agree with the July/August time frame in terms of pro and college sports, though that time of year is what you make of it depending on whether or not you play sports. For those living in the Northern US it's a big chunk of the year where you can actually play outdoor sports without freezing your ass off, it's not like when I lived in Tampa and could do kickball beer leagues in December.
04-20-2018 06:37 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
July.

There is a reason why ESPN has the ESPY's on then and FS1 started up Big 3 basketball.
04-20-2018 07:28 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(04-20-2018 12:43 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  February...no football, the most boring part of the NBA and college basketball season, same for hockey if you're into that and baseball hasn't started, not even Spring Training right after the Super Bowl.
It's February.
While the Super Bowl, Daytona 500, and both NBA and NHL All Star games are in February, the other 24/25 days are very meh.

July has Wimbledon Finals, The Open Championship, MLB ASG, US Women's Open, the major UFC card of the year/International Fight Week, and some international soccer tournament of consequence most years.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2018 02:04 AM by Renandpat.)
04-21-2018 02:03 AM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
July. At least in August there is NFL preseason and the College football season is starting to kick off the last weekend in August.
04-21-2018 11:28 AM
WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
FWIW the Arena Football League operates from April to August in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Arena...gue_season
04-21-2018 02:49 PM
WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
(04-21-2018 02:49 PM)WesternSkillet Wrote:  FWIW the Arena Football League operates from April to August in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Arena...gue_season

And the Indoor Football League (IFL) is from February to June.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Indoo...gue_season
04-21-2018 02:52 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Any month that doesn't have football.

It would have been awesome if the USFL would have worked out in the 80's. Think how awesome it would have been if we had Spring football for the past 35 years.

I'm hoping the XFL works out so I can pass those months a little easier.
04-21-2018 02:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.