Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Orlando Sentinel--CUSA: The toughest nonconference schedules ranked
Bookmark and Share
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Orlando Sentinel--CUSA: The toughest nonconference schedules ranked
Quote:FAU and Middle Tennessee feature the toughest nonconference schedules in Conference USA this upcoming season.

FAU

Sept. 1 at Oklahoma; Sept. 8 vs. Air Force; Sept. 15 vs. Bethune-Cookman; Sept. 21 at UCF

Lane Kiffin led the Owls to their first Conference USA championship last season but duplicating that feat could be difficult especially with a treacherous nonconference schedule that features road games against a pair of conference champions in Oklahoma and UCF. The good news is FAU went 1-3 in nonconference in 2017 and still managed an 11-win season.

Middle Tennessee

Sept. 1 at Vanderbilt; Sept 8 vs. UT Martin; Sept. 15 at Georgia; Nov. 17 at Kentucky

The Blue Raiders open up the season on the road for the first time since 2011 as the team travels to Nashville to take on Vanderbilt. Middle Tennessee has split the series (3-3) but all three wins have come on the road. MTSU has lost 12 out of its last 13 meetings with teams from the SEC with the last win coming in 2016. The program is a combined 0-3 all-time against Georgia and Kentucky.

Louisiana Tech

Sept. 1 at South Alabama; Sept. 8 vs. Southern; Sept. 22 at LSU; Nov. 3 at Mississippi State

For the fifth time in the past seven seasons, Louisiana Tech opens up away from home. The Bulldogs have lost three straight openers on the road and are 2-9 against nonconference opponents away from Joe Aillet Stadium under Skip Holtz. The program has lost three straight against LSU and is 1-4 all-time against Mississippi State in Starkville.

Marshall

Sept. 1 at Miami (OH); Sept. 8 vs. Eastern Kentucky; Sept. 15 at South Carolina; Sept. 22 vs. NC State

Marshall opens up a season on the road for the first time since 2014. This is the fourth opener against Miami in the past six years with the Thundering Herd going 3-0 in each of the previous meetings with an average winning margin of 19 points. The program is looking for just its third victory in 12 attempts against ACC schools when it plays host to NC State.

Western Kentucky

Aug. 31 at Wisconsin; Sept. 8 vs. Maine; Sept. 15 at Louisville; Sept. 22 at Ball State

The Hilltoppers make their first trip to Madison to take on the Badgers in the season-opener. The program is looking for its first-ever win over a Big Ten opponent (0-5) while looking to snap a 12-game winning streak by Wisconsin over nonconference foes. Western Kentucky travels to Louisville to take on the Cardinals and former coach Bobby Petrino, who coached WKU in 2013.

Rice

Aug. 25 vs. Prairie View A&M; Sept. 1 vs. Houston; Sept. 8 at Hawaii; Sept. 29 at Wake Forest; Nov. 17 at LSU

New Rice coach Mike Bloomgren faces a huge challenge this season as the Owls feature a 13-game schedule thanks to a road-game against Hawaii. The team is one of four to open up early on August 25. The program has is 1-7 against nonconference opponents over the past two seasons and hasn’t beaten a team from a Power 5 conference since 2013.

UTSA

Sept. 1 at Arizona State; Sept. 8 vs. Baylor; Sept. 15 at Kansas State; Sept. 22 vs. Texas State

UTSA is one of just two CUSA schools to play three teams from Power 5 conferences this season (Middle Tennessee). The Roadrunners won three games out of conference in a single season for the first time since fully joining CUSA in 2013 including the program’s first win over a P5 school in Baylor.

Southern Miss

Sept. 1 vs. Jackson State; Sept. 8 vs. ULM; Sept. 15 at Appalachian State; Sept. 29 at Auburn

Southern Miss has lost five out of the past six season openers with the lone win coming against Kentucky in 2016. The Golden Eagles have won four out of the past five meetings with Louisiana-Monroe including last season’s 28-17 affair and is included in the 12 wins against teams from the Sun Belt. Jay Hopson’s team looks to snap a three-game losing streak at Auburn.

UTEP

Sept. 1 vs. Northern Arizona; Sept. 8 at UNLV; Sept. 15 at Tennessee; Sept. 22 vs. New Mexico State

The Miners were the only team to go winless last season. UTEP has won just four nonconference games since 2015 with two of those wins coming against New Mexico State and two FCS foes in Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist. The program is looking for its first win over an SEC team since 1967 when it travels to Knoxville in Week 3.

FIU

Sept. 1 at Indiana; Sept. 15 vs. UMass; Sept. 22 at Miami; Sept. 29 vs. UAPB

For the second straight year, FIU opens the season on the road. This time the Panthers travel to Indiana to try and snap a two-game losing streak to the Hoosiers. Last year’s game was cancelled due to Hurricane Irma and rescheduled for 2018. Expect a huge crowd in Week 4 as Butch Davis makes his return to Miami where he coached the Hurricanes from 1995-2000.

Charlotte

Sept. 1 vs. Fordham; Sept. 8 vs. Appalachian State; Sept. 22 at UMass; Nov. 3 at Tennessee

Since joining the league fulltime in 2015, Charlotte has struggled against nonconference opponents with the 49ers putting together a 3-9 overall record. Two of those victories were against FCS foes at home. In fact since 2015, the program is just 3-15 at home.

North Texas

Sept. 1 vs. SMU; Sept. 8 vs. Incarnate Word; Sept. 15 at Arkansas; Sept. 22 at Liberty

North Texas put together just it’s second winning season since 2005 when the Mean Green won nine games in 2017. The good news for Seth Littrell’s program is they’ll face one of the easiest schedules in the conference with an FCS foe (Incarnate Word) and a program transitioning into the Football Bowl Subdivision (Liberty).

Old Dominion

Sept. 1 at Liberty; Sept. 22 vs. Virginia Tech; Sept. 29 at East Carolina; Nov. 17 vs. VMI

Old Dominion opens up a season on the road for the first time since 2015 when the Monarchs travel to take on Liberty, a program transitioning into the FBS. The team looks for redemption when it hosts Virginia Tech, a team ODU lost to 38-0 last season.

UAB

Sept. 1 vs. Savannah State; Sept. 8 at Coastal Carolina; Sept. 15 vs. Tulane; Nov. 17 at Texas A&M

UAB surprised some by winning eight games after a three-year absence from football. That said, the Blazers won’t be sneaking up on anybody in 2018 but may not have to with the easiest nonconference schedule in the league.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...story.html
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2018 08:21 PM by usmbacker.)
04-23-2018 07:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
RE: Orlando Sentinel--CUSA: The toughest nonconference schedules ranked
Surprised Charlottes is harder. Is ECU that bad now?

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.
04-23-2018 08:03 PM
banker Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Yes, they have been very bad since firing Ruffin.
04-23-2018 10:04 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-23-2018 08:03 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  Surprised Charlottes is harder. Is ECU that bad now?

ECU is 6-18 under the legendary Scottie Montgomery. I remember ECU fans being gleeful when McNeil was fired. Better be sure what you are getting when firing a coach that had success.

Western Carolina (2-9)
NC State (7-6)
UConn (3-9)

UConn (3-9)
BYU (4-9)
Cincinnati (4-8)

And he's back this year to coach them again. They may get to start 2-2 they play NC AT and ODU, I don't trust either of them to take a W. Sorry ODU.
04-24-2018 01:04 AM
bit_9 Offline

(04-24-2018 01:04 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(04-23-2018 08:03 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  Surprised Charlottes is harder. Is ECU that bad now?

ECU is 6-18 under the legendary Scottie Montgomery. I remember ECU fans being gleeful when McNeil was fired. Better be sure what you are getting when firing a coach that had success.

Western Carolina (2-9)
NC State (7-6)
UConn (3-9)

UConn (3-9)
BYU (4-9)
Cincinnati (4-8)

And he's back this year to coach them again. They may get to start 2-2 they play NC AT and ODU, I don't trust either of them to take a W. Sorry ODU.
Damn. Ya. Just looked and we're favored super early preseason.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
04-24-2018 05:35 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-23-2018 07:54 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  
Quote:FAU and Middle Tennessee feature the toughest nonconference schedules in Conference USA this upcoming season.

FAU

Sept. 1 at Oklahoma; Sept. 8 vs. Air Force; Sept. 15 vs. Bethune-Cookman; Sept. 21 at UCF

Lane Kiffin led the Owls to their first Conference USA championship last season but duplicating that feat could be difficult especially with a treacherous nonconference schedule that features road games against a pair of conference champions in Oklahoma and UCF. The good news is FAU went 1-3 in nonconference in 2017 and still managed an 11-win season.

Middle Tennessee

Sept. 1 at Vanderbilt; Sept 8 vs. UT Martin; Sept. 15 at Georgia; Nov. 17 at Kentucky

The Blue Raiders open up the season on the road for the first time since 2011 as the team travels to Nashville to take on Vanderbilt. Middle Tennessee has split the series (3-3) but all three wins have come on the road. MTSU has lost 12 out of its last 13 meetings with teams from the SEC with the last win coming in 2016. The program is a combined 0-3 all-time against Georgia and Kentucky.

Louisiana Tech

Sept. 1 at South Alabama; Sept. 8 vs. Southern; Sept. 22 at LSU; Nov. 3 at Mississippi State

For the fifth time in the past seven seasons, Louisiana Tech opens up away from home. The Bulldogs have lost three straight openers on the road and are 2-9 against nonconference opponents away from Joe Aillet Stadium under Skip Holtz. The program has lost three straight against LSU and is 1-4 all-time against Mississippi State in Starkville.

Marshall

Sept. 1 at Miami (OH); Sept. 8 vs. Eastern Kentucky; Sept. 15 at South Carolina; Sept. 22 vs. NC State

Marshall opens up a season on the road for the first time since 2014. This is the fourth opener against Miami in the past six years with the Thundering Herd going 3-0 in each of the previous meetings with an average winning margin of 19 points. The program is looking for just its third victory in 12 attempts against ACC schools when it plays host to NC State.

Western Kentucky

Aug. 31 at Wisconsin; Sept. 8 vs. Maine; Sept. 15 at Louisville; Sept. 22 at Ball State

The Hilltoppers make their first trip to Madison to take on the Badgers in the season-opener. The program is looking for its first-ever win over a Big Ten opponent (0-5) while looking to snap a 12-game winning streak by Wisconsin over nonconference foes. Western Kentucky travels to Louisville to take on the Cardinals and former coach Bobby Petrino, who coached WKU in 2013.

Rice

Aug. 25 vs. Prairie View A&M; Sept. 1 vs. Houston; Sept. 8 at Hawaii; Sept. 29 at Wake Forest; Nov. 17 at LSU

New Rice coach Mike Bloomgren faces a huge challenge this season as the Owls feature a 13-game schedule thanks to a road-game against Hawaii. The team is one of four to open up early on August 25. The program has is 1-7 against nonconference opponents over the past two seasons and hasn’t beaten a team from a Power 5 conference since 2013.

UTSA

Sept. 1 at Arizona State; Sept. 8 vs. Baylor; Sept. 15 at Kansas State; Sept. 22 vs. Texas State

UTSA is one of just two CUSA schools to play three teams from Power 5 conferences this season (Middle Tennessee). The Roadrunners won three games out of conference in a single season for the first time since fully joining CUSA in 2013 including the program’s first win over a P5 school in Baylor.

Southern Miss

Sept. 1 vs. Jackson State; Sept. 8 vs. ULM; Sept. 15 at Appalachian State; Sept. 29 at Auburn

Southern Miss has lost five out of the past six season openers with the lone win coming against Kentucky in 2016. The Golden Eagles have won four out of the past five meetings with Louisiana-Monroe including last season’s 28-17 affair and is included in the 12 wins against teams from the Sun Belt. Jay Hopson’s team looks to snap a three-game losing streak at Auburn.

UTEP

Sept. 1 vs. Northern Arizona; Sept. 8 at UNLV; Sept. 15 at Tennessee; Sept. 22 vs. New Mexico State

The Miners were the only team to go winless last season. UTEP has won just four nonconference games since 2015 with two of those wins coming against New Mexico State and two FCS foes in Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist. The program is looking for its first win over an SEC team since 1967 when it travels to Knoxville in Week 3.

FIU

For the second straight year, FIU opens the season on the road. This time the Panthers travel to Indiana to try and snap a two-game losing streak to the Hoosiers. Last year’s game was cancelled due to Hurricane Irma and rescheduled for 2018. Expect a huge crowd in Week 4 as Butch Davis makes his return to Miami where he coached the Hurricanes from 1995-2000.

Charlotte

Sept. 1 vs. Fordham; Sept. 8 vs. Appalachian State; Sept. 22 at UMass; Nov. 3 at Tennessee

Since joining the league fulltime in 2015, Charlotte has struggled against nonconference opponents with the 49ers putting together a 3-9 overall record. Two of those victories were against FCS foes at home. In fact since 2015, the program is just 3-15 at home.

North Texas

Sept. 1 vs. SMU; Sept. 8 vs. Incarnate Word; Sept. 15 at Arkansas; Sept. 22 at Liberty

North Texas put together just it’s second winning season since 2005 when the Mean Green won nine games in 2017. The good news for Seth Littrell’s program is they’ll face one of the easiest schedules in the conference with an FCS foe (Incarnate Word) and a program transitioning into the Football Bowl Subdivision (Liberty).

Old Dominion

Sept. 1 at Liberty; Sept. 22 vs. Virginia Tech; Sept. 29 at East Carolina; Nov. 17 vs. VMI

Old Dominion opens up a season on the road for the first time since 2015 when the Monarchs travel to take on Liberty, a program transitioning into the FBS. The team looks for redemption when it hosts Virginia Tech, a team ODU lost to 38-0 last season.

UAB

Sept. 1 vs. Savannah State; Sept. 8 at Coastal Carolina; Sept. 15 vs. Tulane; Nov. 17 at Texas A&M

UAB surprised some by winning eight games after a three-year absence from football. That said, the Blazers won’t be sneaking up on anybody in 2018 but may not have to with the easiest nonconference schedule in the league.

Wow, those are some tough OOC games!

Next question: which ones do you think the C-USA teams will upset? (We'll assume victories in all of the favored matchups for now).
04-24-2018 05:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
UAB was only out 2 years, right? '15 and '16. I know we played you in '14 and you were back last year.
04-24-2018 07:20 AM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
How did ODU convince VT to go there? Was this done under VT's old AD? I'm still butthurt about him scheduling a home and home series with ECU through like 2050.

How much is MTSU getting paid for those 3 @ SEC games? Would be great if they're able to pull off some upsets.
04-24-2018 12:16 PM
beefcake0520 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: marshall
(04-24-2018 12:16 PM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  How did ODU convince VT to go there? Was this done under VT's old AD? I'm still butthurt about him scheduling a home and home series with ECU through like 2050.

How much is MTSU getting paid for those 3 @ SEC games? Would be great if they're able to pull off some upsets.

Recruiting, VT recruits Hampton Roads harder than anyone else, so I would say that has a ton to do with it. Not a knock on ODU by any means.
04-24-2018 01:04 PM
Advertisement

ODU2011 Offline
1st String

(04-24-2018 01:04 PM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  
(04-24-2018 12:16 PM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  How did ODU convince VT to go there? Was this done under VT's old AD? I'm still butthurt about him scheduling a home and home series with ECU through like 2050.

Recruiting, VT recruits Hampton Roads harder than anyone else, so I would say that has a ton to do with it. Not a knock on ODU by any means.

We have games scheduled with VA Tech almost every year (Excluding 2020 and 2021) up until 2031. 13 in total including 2017.
04-24-2018 01:21 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(04-24-2018 07:20 AM)MUther Wrote:  UAB was only out 2 years, right? '15 and '16. I know we played you in '14 and you were back last year.

Yessir
04-24-2018 01:36 PM
benny_t Offline
1st String

(04-24-2018 01:21 PM)ODU2011 Wrote:  
(04-24-2018 01:04 PM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  

We have games scheduled with VA Tech almost every year (Excluding 2020 and 2021) up until 2031. 13 in total including 2017.

6 of them being home games.
04-24-2018 02:10 PM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
It feels like the old times... Under the old man we routinely played top Big 12 powers OOC. Sometimes more than once a year...
04-24-2018 02:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(04-24-2018 02:15 PM)goliath74 Wrote:  It feels like the old times... Under the old man we routinely played top Big 12 powers OOC. Sometimes more than once a year...

Where is Coach Schnellenberger these days?
04-24-2018 04:04 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
(04-24-2018 04:04 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  
(04-24-2018 02:15 PM)goliath74 Wrote:  It feels like the old times... Under the old man we routinely played top Big 12 powers OOC. Sometimes more than once a year...

Where is Coach Schnellenberger these days?

On a collision course with the early bird special 04-cheers
04-25-2018 02:10 PM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss

FAU

Middle Tennessee

Louisiana Tech

Marshall

Western Kentucky

Rice

UTSA

Southern Miss

UTEP

FIU

Charlotte

North Texas

Old Dominion

UAB

North Texas has the best odds to win all 4 games. Arkansas and SMU will both have new coaching staffs.
04-25-2018 02:50 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-25-2018 02:50 PM)SouthernMiss3613 Wrote:  

FAU

Middle Tennessee

Louisiana Tech

Marshall

Western Kentucky

Rice

UTSA

Southern Miss

UTEP

FIU

Charlotte

North Texas

Old Dominion

UAB

North Texas has the best odds to win all 4 games. Arkansas and SMU will both have new coaching staffs.

Can someone please explain to me how you get an SEC HCing job when you was 14-23 (8-16) at your previous job. Because that's what Chad Morris done.
04-25-2018 07:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.