[Image: tD4Pgzy.jpg]
04-24-2018 03:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA
Its kinda like what my dad said to my dog once. You have lived a long and useless life.
04-24-2018 08:26 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
We're not aging well - controlling brain is OTL
04-24-2018 08:27 PM
jasdf Offline
Banned

I Root For: OD
You were a still born baby, mother didn’t want you but you were still born.
04-26-2018 09:20 AM
Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
Can’t swear to it but I think this is right

original 6 for football
Cincinnati
Houston
Louisville
Memphis
Southern Miss
Tulane

original 12 for hoops
Charlotte
Cincinnati
DePaul
Houston
Louisville
Marquette
Memphis
Saint Louis
South Florida
Southern Miss
Tulane
UAB
04-26-2018 07:21 PM
austinniner Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-26-2018 07:21 PM)Cardiff Wrote:  Can’t swear to it but I think this is right

original 6 for football
Cincinnati
Houston
Louisville
Memphis
Southern Miss
Tulane

original 12 for hoops
Charlotte
Cincinnati
DePaul
Houston
Louisville
Marquette
Memphis
Saint Louis
South Florida
Southern Miss
Tulane
UAB

Houston came a year later if I remember correctly
04-26-2018 10:42 PM
Advertisement

born in the burg Offline
2nd String

Army was in the original 6. Houston came in year 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using CSNbbs mobile app
04-26-2018 11:13 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
Still glad to be here over MAC. While it sucked to see majority of our conference make a lateral move in football to the AAC, basketball wise they had to do it. CUSA is young again and things will improve. The important thing is to improve our basketball. Football is irrelevant until an expanded playoff down the road.
04-27-2018 07:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(04-27-2018 07:44 AM)MU ATO Wrote:  Still glad to be here over MAC. While it sucked to see majority of our conference make a lateral move in football to the AAC, basketball wise they had to do it. CUSA is young again and things will improve. The important thing is to improve our basketball. Football is irrelevant until an expanded playoff down the road.
Looking back (hindsight I know), I don't think the Memphis admin or fans view the CUSA to AAC move as lateral in any way. I have looked most closely at Memphis financials and listened to the decision makers speak more than other schools, but they are better off in every metric mentioned. For them, it's been an FB upgrade in a very substantial way...exposure, attendance, tix sold/contrib. $. Obviously, the new admin coming in and making football a priority was key...more money for coaching, facilities etc, but the AAC has also elevated the program in a real way as well with double the media dollars (still paltry) and exponentially better exposure. Not to mention conference perception with multiple Access bowl teams, media coverage and narrative (referencing mass coverage not the P6 thing). That was something CUSA was never able to accomplish due in part to the Tigers poor performance. Sadly, the thing that helped them make the move (an effort to improve football) could have really helped both the school and CUSA back in the day. Just goes to show what a sports friendly admin can accomplish.

The bball point is also why I don't see those teams aligning solely based on geography. Several programs make money, good money, and won't throw basketball under the bus. If something happens to blow the G5 up, there's a likelihood that the higher budgeted schools with the biggest fan bases (most self generated $) would find a way to come to some sort of arrangement...which ultimately comes down to which set of schools can make the most $ vs. focusing solely on the reduction of cost side of the equation.

Having said all that I do think CUSA can improve. I think the AAC can too as well. it isn't mutually exclusive. The success of one isn't dependent on the failure of the other.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 10:05 AM by gulfcoastgal.)
04-27-2018 08:51 AM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
I really think in all 3-4 iterations of this league that the next 5 seasons or so are going to be the best top-to-bottom in basketball production. Different than "Memphis and Co". The level of basketball cooperation and investment from all 14 members is unprecedented and I for one am totally psyched.
04-27-2018 09:44 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(04-27-2018 09:44 AM)BKTopper Wrote:  I really think in all 3-4 iterations of this league that the next 5 seasons or so are going to be the best top-to-bottom in basketball production. Different than "Memphis and Co". The level of basketball cooperation and investment from all 14 members is unprecedented and I for one am totally psyched.

Even better than CUSA 1.0 with Louisville, Cincinnati and all that crew? I certainly hope that's the case but early CUSA was pretty damned great (he says begrudgingly as a VCU guy).
04-27-2018 10:55 AM
Advertisement

BKTopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(04-27-2018 10:55 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(04-27-2018 09:44 AM)BKTopper Wrote:  I really think in all 3-4 iterations of this league that the next 5 seasons or so are going to be the best top-to-bottom in basketball production. Different than "Memphis and Co". The level of basketball cooperation and investment from all 14 members is unprecedented and I for one am totally psyched.

Even better than CUSA 1.0 with Louisville, Cincinnati and all that crew? I certainly hope that's the case but early CUSA was pretty damned great (he says begrudgingly as a VCU guy).

True maybe not quite there yet but I believe we will surpass that version in the next 5 years, NCAA and sports cartel be danged
04-27-2018 11:42 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(04-26-2018 11:13 PM)born in the burg Wrote:  Army was in the original 6. Houston came in year 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using CSNbbs mobile app

Nope. Army was not in the original group.

CUSA formed in 1995. Army joined in 1998.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 02:33 PM by billybobby777.)
04-27-2018 02:29 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
Football for CUSA didn't start till '96 so the 5 football playing members were the only ones: USM, Memphis, Tulane, Cincinnati, Louisville. At least Southern Miss played all of them (only one I checked), but they weren't conference games, as USM was listed as independent till '96.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/1995/sm.shtml
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 05:00 PM by MUther.)
04-27-2018 04:52 PM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

I was there. There were 6 original football members in 1996. USM, Houston, Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, and Tulane. Houston and USM were the first champions with Houston holding the tie-breaker. ECU came the next year, and it took a vote to kick out Louisville to get them in. Oh how the world would be so different if we had left Louisville on the curb.

Mike Slive built us well, then he left for much greener pastures.

In 1995, there was a Liberty Bowl alliance that included most of us.
04-28-2018 08:31 AM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt has a 99 cusa tourney champions shirt with that logo
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2018 08:44 AM by ghostofclt.)
04-28-2018 08:42 AM
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
the original six in the 1996 inaugural football season were:
[Image: gBLL6sp.jpg][Image: Txqiqpf.jpg]

in 1997, ECU joined in football only
[Image: yyGZ6nU.jpg]

in 1998, Army joined in football only
[Image: eSiveXU.jpg]

in 1999, UAB joined in all sports
[Image: CwezDeG.jpg]

in 2001 TCU joined in all sports and ECU added all sports
[Image: PwYHLuM.jpg]

USF joined for the 2003 season, TCU left before the 2004 season for the MWC & the Big East raid took UL, Cincy and USF in 2005
04-28-2018 08:42 AM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

Excellent work Jeb!
04-28-2018 09:05 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion

Not sure where you see this. CUSA basketball is certainly Bipolar. The top half is very manic, the bottom half very depressed.
04-28-2018 09:22 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(04-27-2018 07:44 AM)MU ATO Wrote:  Still glad to be here over MAC. While it sucked to see majority of our conference make a lateral move in football to the AAC, basketball wise they had to do it. CUSA is young again and things will improve. The important thing is to improve our basketball. Football is irrelevant until an expanded playoff down the road.

CUSA 3.0 is still maturing so the jury is still out.

All the new FBS programs started the decade, how that will impact recruiting the jury is still out on all that. You are seeing Georgia State now pulling even with GaSo for example. Has everyone been on board long enough to get into their 2nd coaching staff at the top level yet? Long enough to build up walk-on programs?

So far its been AAC x2, MAC x1, MWC x1 for the access bowl. AAC has the lead but not significant. There is still time for CUSA 3.0 to be a factor for the access bowl.
04-28-2018 10:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.