Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gator Bowl Is Back
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Gator Bowl Is Back
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footbal...czfazg9qxz

Didn't see this mentioned yet. Now bring back the Bluebonnet and Copper, well I guess Cactus is alright...
04-26-2018 06:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: Gator Bowl Is Back
Can we get the Blockbuster Bowl game back too?
04-26-2018 06:50 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
Speaking of bowl games that went away, I went to the International Bowl the year UConn was in it and it was a ton of fun. Toronto's a great city and the drinking age lets all the college kids go to actual bars while they're in Town.
04-26-2018 07:08 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-26-2018 06:45 PM)esayem Wrote:  Didn't see this mentioned yet. Now bring back the Bluebonnet and Copper, well I guess Cactus is alright...

Good move for both the bowl and Taxslayer.

I never understood the logic from the sponsor's point of view behind eliminating the "Gator" part from the name. The Gator Bowl is a venerable, well-known bowl, it's that name that would give the sponsorship some recognition and therefore value.

Calling the game the "Taxslayer Bowl" was dumb.
04-26-2018 07:33 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Thank God the Gator Bowl is back. So much history. Never throw it away.

Second reviving the Bluebonnet Bowl.
04-26-2018 07:39 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(04-26-2018 06:50 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Can we get the Blockbuster Bowl game back too?

Hahahahaha the Sun Bowl pulled that one right?
04-26-2018 07:42 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
I was never a fan of a bowl game having a corporate name. I always called the Peach and Citrus Bowls by their name instead of the Chick-Fil-A and Capital One.
04-26-2018 09:04 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(04-26-2018 07:42 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(04-26-2018 06:50 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Can we get the Blockbuster Bowl game back too?

Hahahahaha the Sun Bowl pulled that one right?

I don’t think the Sun ever had them as a sponsor. The ones I can think of are John Hancock, Norwest Bank, Wells Fargo, Vitalis and more recently Hyundai.
04-26-2018 09:06 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Personally I am still choked up about the demise of the MagicJack Bowl--St Petersburg lost something beautiful people.
04-26-2018 09:42 PM
Advertisement

esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
The Blockbuster Bowl may have been the first bowl named for a sponsor since its inception. The working title was the Sunshine Classic.

The Belk Bowl’s working title was the Queen City Bowl and the Military Bowl was the Congressional Bowl.
04-27-2018 06:45 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(04-26-2018 09:42 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Personally I am still choked up about the demise of the MagicJack Bowl--St Petersburg lost something beautiful people.

Eh, the Badboy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl is a more than adequate replacement. I'd also like to see the Outback Bowl across the bay turn into the Cigar Bowl as the original Tampa bowl game was called.
04-27-2018 06:52 AM
jnewyouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats
(04-26-2018 07:08 PM)Bogg Wrote:  Speaking of bowl games that went away, I went to the International Bowl the year UConn was in it and it was a ton of fun. Toronto's a great city and the drinking age lets all the college kids go to actual bars while they're in Town.
I second this. I went to the International Bowl when Cincinnati played Western Michigan and had a great time. Great city, 8 hour drive from Cincy, and a lower age to legally drink for the college students.

My understanding is that the new passport requirement to get into Canada is what killed this bowl. It's impossible to get last minute passports in the time between the bowl announcement and the actual game.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 07:00 AM by jnewyouth.)
04-27-2018 06:59 AM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
Personally like the "Bourbon Bowl"
04-27-2018 07:52 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-26-2018 09:04 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  I was never a fan of a bowl game having a corporate name. I always called the Peach and Citrus Bowls by their name instead of the Chick-Fil-A and Capital One.

It depends on the bowl. If the bowl is a recent fabricated bowl with no history, then it's a blank slate to the public so might as well call it the Domino's Thin Crust Gluten Free Pizza Bowl.

But if it's a bowl with a venerable history and established name - like the Sun Bowl or Gator Bowl or Peach Bowl - then it is not only aesthetically offensive to change it to a corporate name, it actually hurts the corporation it is named for, because the bowl loses the identity that makes sponsorship valuable to begin with.

E.g., far better for Taxslayer's exposure for the bowl to be called the "Taxslayer Gator Bowl" than just the "Taxslayer Bowl".
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 09:55 AM by quo vadis.)
04-27-2018 09:54 AM
SactoHornetAlum Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Sac State
(04-27-2018 07:52 AM)Tigeer Wrote:  Personally like the "Bourbon Bowl"

Go SCLSU Mud Dogs!!!
04-27-2018 11:01 AM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(04-27-2018 09:54 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(04-26-2018 09:04 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  I was never a fan of a bowl game having a corporate name. I always called the Peach and Citrus Bowls by their name instead of the Chick-Fil-A and Capital One.

It depends on the bowl. If the bowl is a recent fabricated bowl with no history, then it's a blank slate to the public so might as well call it the Domino's Thin Crust Gluten Free Pizza Bowl.

But if it's a bowl with a venerable history and established name - like the Sun Bowl or Gator Bowl or Peach Bowl - then it is not only aesthetically offensive to change it to a corporate name, it actually hurts the corporation it is named for, because the bowl loses the identity that makes sponsorship valuable to begin with.

E.g., far better for Taxslayer's exposure for the bowl to be called the "Taxslayer Gator Bowl" than just the "Taxslayer Bowl".

I whole heartedly agree. The bowl game and it's history bring value to the sponsor associated with it. The newer bowls would be wise to adopt similar naming practices to their games as well.
04-27-2018 03:49 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(04-26-2018 09:42 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Personally I am still choked up about the demise of the MagicJack Bowl--St Petersburg lost something beautiful people.

The pull on weed whacker chokes me up
04-28-2018 08:42 AM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(04-27-2018 06:59 AM)jnewyouth Wrote:  
(04-26-2018 07:08 PM)Bogg Wrote:  Speaking of bowl games that went away, I went to the International Bowl the year UConn was in it and it was a ton of fun. Toronto's a great city and the drinking age lets all the college kids go to actual bars while they're in Town.
I second this. I went to the International Bowl when Cincinnati played Western Michigan and had a great time. Great city, 8 hour drive from Cincy, and a lower age to legally drink for the college students.

My understanding is that the new passport requirement to get into Canada is what killed this bowl. It's impossible to get last minute passports in the time between the bowl announcement and the actual game.

The infamous "third bowl for the MAC" which was MAC vs. Big East. A solid tie-in for the time.
04-28-2018 09:39 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
time for a return of the Tangerine Bowl
04-30-2018 12:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.