Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC Network info from Pitt
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
ACC Network info from Pitt
The below is a portion of an interview, the part which is most pertinent to the ACC Network, that was held with Pitt's Athletic Director Heather Lyke and Pitt's Deputy AD for External Affairs Chris Spears. This interview appears in full on panther-lair.com and part 1 can be found at https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/lyke-...t-and-more

What can you estimate it’s going to take financially to make all of this happen?
Lyke: Well, the ACC Network - we have that particular project covered. And under budget; thank you, Mr. Ramicone, Art Ramicone, our CFO. He will be happy to hear that and I think that the project’s running very well and under budget. There are some - it’s not a massive cost and we can plan that from the capital standpoint. These aren’t really strong fundraising opportunities; it’s more of an ongoing expense and some of this is a one-time - you know, changing the camera decks. That’s a one-time expense. We’re not going to move those again. Re-sanding your court - you’ve got to build in an ongoing plan to update your field or field space, your facilities on an ongoing basis, so that’s a part of our comprehensive 10-year plan that’s outlined as far as, when are we going to re-sand the court again? So we’ll plan for that financially.

It just seems that, when this idea [flipping the court at the Petersen Events Center so the cameras face the Oakland Zoo] has come up in the past, people have said it would be cost-prohibitive to re-wire the building and do something like that.
Lyke: I would say that, with the ACC project, that’s a part of the infrastructure that we’re building in place. We are also working on getting out an RFP at the University level for Wi-Fi in the Pete - like, in the actual arena…That is, again, just updating the building to where it needs to be. Those are amenities and, obviously now, expectations in modern-day arenas. It’s all coming. It’s all on its way.

What do you think the impact of the ACC Network will be?
Lyke: It will be significant. We are in an exciting time, really. It gives us a chance to showcase our teams on a national scale. You build the brand of Pitt, not just as an athletic department but as a university, and the exposure - I think, for all of us, it’s going to be exceptional. I think that’s certainly the - we’re not as far behind as some conferences, but we’re a little bit far behind, so it gives us a chance to catch up with some of the other conferences that have that national media opportunity, across the board with all of your teams. So I think it’s a tremendous opportunity. We’re excited about our infrastructure, our staff, our partnerships within the community that we’ve been working with that specialize in this area. I think we’ve got a lot of advantages being in Pittsburgh because there are companies that really do this well and we’ve worked with very closely.

I also love the fact that we can allow for students to do hands-on internships in our - behind-the-scenes, in media production, in television production and we’re actually working across campus with faculty creating - I don’t know that it’s a new major, a new minor -

Spears: We’re still in negotiations with what it’s going to be. Whether it’s a certificate program, a minor, a major. There are classes all over campus already that do post-production, pre-production, but we want to have a more holistic program that allows students to choose this as a career. In order to do that, we’ve got to build some infrastructure around that, whether that’s additional faculty - but we do have the studio space to be able to teach and learning, and that will be significant. And we built it with the design and the hope that we would partner with the campus. So there is a studio that’s just ready for a teaching environment while we’re running our full gameday. That will be unique.

Lyke: And I would say that our staff that lead our production and video area are tremendous teachers. Some people do their job really well but they don’t know how to teach young people how to do it. Our staff is really, really talented at that. I see it every day in their work. So that’s exciting and it’s a great experience for students to - I mean, you’re on a national broadcast and you’re sitting behind the scenes and you’re seeing how it works and it’s a great profession and we have got great relationships with companies in town that are looking for apprentices and internship opportunities, so we can funnel them there and they can get all kinds of great work experience to prepare them for life after graduation. So there’s a whole host of reasons why it’s great. But yeah, we’re excited, we’re getting ready and I think the addition of the studio to the lobby area is going to create some excitement and buzz. When you walk in, you’re going to see, it’s somewhat like the Today Show; it’s probably not as large, but there will be a window front so you’ll be able to look right in at any production that might be going on or any interview that might be going on. So for a fan and student and people that come to the Pete, they’ll get a sense of that production going on.

There is also going to be X amount of income for each school, is that correct?
Lyke: Yeah. So the incremental revenue projections are conservative and strong. We expect - and it will take a few years for it to actually increase significantly over what we get right now from television revenue from the ACC. But yeah, the long-term five-year to ten-year projections are very, very beneficial to us.

Can you quantify it for us?
Lyke: It’s hard to quantify it because I don’t know if the projections from the ACC are -

Spears: Fully-developed.

Lyke: Fully-developed or protected. But we’re not going to lose money. That’s for sure…over time, the incremental growth goes up substantially.

Are there plans for changes to or repurposing any other buildings on campus for the ACC Network?
Lyke: Not necessarily on campus. The exterior studio will be in the lobby and all the back-of-the-house will be downstairs on the very first floor of the Pete. It’s interesting: you can produce a baseball game from the Pete, so we don’t have a different production center. That hub will be here in the basement.
04-26-2018 09:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
RE: ACC Network info from Pitt
The burning question is how much will it yield for each ACC member?
04-26-2018 09:53 PM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
(04-26-2018 09:53 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  The burning question is how much will it yield for each ACC member?

They appeared hesitant on this topic.

"So the incremental revenue projections are conservative and strong. We expect - and it will take a few years for it to actually increase significantly over what we get right now from television revenue from the ACC. But yeah, the long-term five-year to ten-year projections are very, very beneficial to us."

As I've been saying all along, we should consider lowering our expectations for the first couple of years. If the best projections immediately come about no sweat. But it sure doesn't sound like $8-10 million per school the first year based upon what these Pitt administrators said.

Cheers,
Neil
04-26-2018 10:05 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
Odd, we heard it was taking so long so they would be up to speed quickly. That and learning how it goes from the SEC>
04-26-2018 10:18 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
GT reported that cable companies want the ACC network at a reduced rate. Pitt now says it will take years to get up to full revenue.

I hate lowered expectations!
04-27-2018 12:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
I have been thinking about going to Sling, so when I look at their $20 per month basic tier It lists the ACC Network as one of the channels along with several ESPN channels
04-27-2018 06:27 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

(04-27-2018 06:27 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  I have been thinking about going to Sling, so when I look at their $20 per month basic tier It lists the ACC Network as one of the channels along with several ESPN channels

You should look at YouTube TV.... Sling is cheaper but YouTube TV will give you Rochester locals and more devices.
04-27-2018 07:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(04-27-2018 07:10 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(04-27-2018 06:27 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  I have been thinking about going to Sling, so when I look at their $20 per month basic tier It lists the ACC Network as one of the channels along with several ESPN channels

You should look at YouTube TV.... Sling is cheaper but YouTube TV will give you Rochester locals and more devices.

I dont know much about Youtube tv. I will check it out.
04-27-2018 07:17 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I have had Sling for a while now, it allows me to watch ND sports on the ACC Network Extra.

I did the free trial for YouTube TV, but I use Amazon Fire Sticks on all our TV's and there is no app for YouTube.TV.

I am limited to phone and laptop for it, so I didn't switch and stuck with Sling.
04-27-2018 07:27 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(04-27-2018 07:27 AM)TerryD Wrote:  I have had Sling for a while now, it allows me to watch ND sports on the ACC Network Extra.

I did the free trial for YouTube TV, but I use Amazon Fire Sticks on all our TV's and there is no app for YouTube.TV.

I am limited to phone and laptop for it, so I didn't switch and stuck with Sling.

Terry,

Since you have Firesticks on all your tv's, are you able to watch Sling on all those tvs and be able to watch different channels/shows simultaneously?
anyone else can chime in with their experience with Sling.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 08:11 AM by cuseroc.)
04-27-2018 07:40 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
[Image: warning-sign-thread-hijack-in-progress-EbRj2x.jpg]
04-27-2018 08:19 AM
Advertisement

OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

(04-27-2018 08:19 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  [Image: warning-sign-thread-hijack-in-progress-EbRj2x.jpg]

Well, it started as a Pitt-centric thread, what did you expect? Even their own board on rivals aren't discussing this interview very much. 03-lmfao

If a similar interview was done by our AD the thread would have 20 pages over on syracusefan.com.

Cheers,
Neil
04-27-2018 11:43 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
05-stirthepot Well, it is all back to the fact that Swofford is not a good business man. It is time for him to retire. 07-coffee3
04-27-2018 12:02 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(04-27-2018 07:40 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(04-27-2018 07:27 AM)TerryD Wrote:  I have had Sling for a while now, it allows me to watch ND sports on the ACC Network Extra.

Terry,

Since you have Firesticks on all your tv's, are you able to watch Sling on all those tvs and be able to watch different channels/shows simultaneously?
anyone else can chime in with their experience with Sling.

I don't know about all six TV's in our house, never tried it.

I do know that I have had Sling on at least two TV's at the same time, maybe three.
04-27-2018 12:07 PM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

(04-27-2018 12:02 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  05-stirthepot Well, it is all back to the fact that Swofford is not a good business man. It is time for him to retire. 07-coffee3

Not a Swofford apologist, but I suspect, if true, this has far more to do with the changing paradigm of cable channels vs streaming rather than the ACC commissioner. And we don't know yet how Disney/ESPN will encompass the ACCN into their streaming options.

As long as the product remains good I like the chances of long term success.

Cheers,
Neil
04-27-2018 01:07 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
I think everyone is reading too much into these comments. How can one fixate on a non-defined vague term like "significantly" while ignoring "conservative and strong" and "very, very beneficial" while also forgetting that it flat out says quantitative projections for the network aren't yet fully developed. The take home point isn't comparing $ to $, it is that it is obvious that the Pitt athletic administration is very high on the ACC Network and its future, and for Pitt specifically, its studio network upgrades are coming in on time and under budget.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 02:43 PM by CrazyPaco.)
04-27-2018 02:25 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(04-26-2018 10:18 PM)nole Wrote:  Odd, we heard it was taking so long so they would be up to speed quickly. That and learning how it goes from the SEC>

The rainbows and unicorns crowd wrong? Again?

[Image: QbaNR2g.jpg]

The biggest thing I'm worried about is how bad it's really going to be when they are tamping down expectations this early in the game.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 03:14 PM by Kaplony.)
04-27-2018 03:13 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Yup...apparently you can't get it with Fire Stick...I access it through Roku.
04-27-2018 04:04 PM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

(04-27-2018 02:25 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  I think everyone is reading too much into these comments. How can one fixate on a non-defined vague term like "significantly" while ignoring "conservative and strong" and "very, very beneficial" while also forgetting that it flat out says quantitative projections for the network aren't yet fully developed. The take home point isn't comparing $ to $, it is that it is obvious that the Pitt athletic administration is very high on the ACC Network and its future, and for Pitt specifically, its studio network upgrades are coming in on time and under budget.

Well, at least to me, the entire statement seems to support concerns when it comes to the early years of the ACCN:

"it will take a few years for it to actually increase significantly over what we get right now from television revenue from the ACC."

While you are correct it doesn't say there will be no increase, I think reasonable people can interpret this statement as meaning that the initial increase will likely only be in the $3 million range specifically because the significantly increased monies would be the $8-10 million figure that has been put forth by others like Stan Wilcox at FSU and I believe Whit Babcock at VT but I could be wrong about him being the second AD that has echoed Stan Wilcox' statement. Wilcox also indicated the projections would be $10-15 million down the road. So it seems some think it will be at least $8 million quite soon after the ACCN is up and running.

Considering the ACC only got a little less than $16 million from the ACC TV contracts for 2015-16, would anyone characterize a potential jump by $4-7 million as being not much higher than what we get now, which is what the statement above says to me?

I suppose you know the Pitt administrators better than I do, but that wording is odd.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 09:32 PM by OrangeDude.)
04-27-2018 09:30 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(04-27-2018 09:30 PM)OrangeDude Wrote:  
(04-27-2018 02:25 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  I think everyone is reading too much into these comments. How can one fixate on a non-defined vague term like "significantly" while ignoring "conservative and strong" and "very, very beneficial" while also forgetting that it flat out says quantitative projections for the network aren't yet fully developed. The take home point isn't comparing $ to $, it is that it is obvious that the Pitt athletic administration is very high on the ACC Network and its future, and for Pitt specifically, its studio network upgrades are coming in on time and under budget.

Well, at least to me, the entire statement seems to support concerns when it comes to the early years of the ACCN:

"it will take a few years for it to actually increase significantly over what we get right now from television revenue from the ACC."

While you are correct it doesn't say there will be no increase, I think reasonable people can interpret this statement as meaning that the initial increase will likely only be in the $3 million range specifically because the significantly increased monies would be the $8-10 million figure that has been put forth by others like Stan Wilcox at FSU and I believe Whit Babcock at VT but I could be wrong about him being the second AD that has echoed Stan Wilcox' statement. Wilcox also indicated the projections would be $10-15 million down the road. So it seems some think it will be at least $8 million quite soon after the ACCN is up and running.

Considering the ACC only got a little less than $16 million from the ACC TV contracts for 2015-16, would anyone characterize a potential jump by $4-7 million as being not much higher than what we get now, which is what the statement above says to me?

I suppose you know the Pitt administrators better than I do, but that wording is odd.

Cheers,
Neil

Why would anyone be comparing the increase in what a network would bring over other tv money in 2019-20 to what the ACC received in 2015-16? That would be odd. They may not know the exact quantity that the network will bring, other than the "conservative" projections (which is what they'd plan budgets with), but they would pretty much know the amount the other media contracts will bring in FY2020. Academic and athletic administrators definitely don't think like message board posters, I can guarantee that. The only people expressing any sort of concern about the network are people absolutely not plugged into what is going on inside the conference, which I think is telling. There is not the slightest indication out of any one of the 15 members, or ESPN, that the Network isn't going to be successful and beneficial. But it is as if some think there is a big conspiracy in the ACC to dupe people who are primarily fans of conference revenues.

There are start up costs, and those aren't just what is being put up by individual schools for cameras and studios. It is unrealistic to think a brand new network is going to immediately catch up to something with a 5 to 10 year head start and it is equally unrealistic to think that it will never grow from its launch, especially after start-up costs are recouped. I don't get the angst, other than trying to win some message board dick measuring contest with fanboys from other conferences. Contracts are always backloaded. Message board and blog comparisons between conference are never apples to apples. But then, there is a crowd whose SEC-***** envy manifests as ACC loathing and jumps on every chance to be negative. But I've watched their posts for years now, and they been almost entirely wrong at every turn with their predictable predictions of failure and inability to compete. Remember, they were all pretty much adamant a network wasn't even going to happen in the first place. If they end up being right and the ACC is buried by an avalanche of Big10 and SEC dollars, then they may get their fantasy wish to be free agents in 15 years or so. But if the network is successful and other things take care of themselves, baring unforseen upheaval, the GOR will be extended again at some point down the line. If that doesn't happen by 2030 or so, then things might not be panning out. Until then it serves absolutely no purpose to be Eeyores.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 11:20 PM by CrazyPaco.)
04-27-2018 10:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.