Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gerry Donahue
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Gerry Donahue
Just got word that Head Usher Gerry Donahue is in ICU at a local hospital. Apparently heart related.

Send some prayers his way.
04-29-2018 05:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Gerry Donahue
Got word Gerry's in Methodist in Sugar Land. Prognosis is not good. Prayers.
04-29-2018 07:40 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Praying. So sorry to learn of this.
04-29-2018 09:29 PM
THRILL Offline
All American

I Root For: Boobies

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I looked for him at today's game and was gonna inquire.

Prayers for Gerry and the family, he needs to get back to the game so he can give me grief
I know he keeps up with us on the Board.

Love ya Gerry, get well soon
04-29-2018 10:29 PM
SpaceCityBuzz Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(04-29-2018 10:29 PM)THRILL Wrote:  I looked for him at today's game and was gonna inquire.

Prayers for Gerry and the family, he needs to get back to the game so he can give me grief
I know he keeps up with us on the Board.

Love ya Gerry, get well soon

Get well, Gerry. You have always been a reason for us to make it to the park!
04-29-2018 10:31 PM
Baconator Offline

I Root For: My Kids
New Orleans BowlDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
We are all praying for a full recovery for you, Gerry.
04-30-2018 08:19 AM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
Sending thoughts and prayers. Must have happened late Saturday, as he was at Reckling Saturday, but was missing on Sunday.
04-30-2018 03:45 PM
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

Sadly, Gerry passed away around noon today. Arrangements pending. Even all the scouts were saddened by the news last night. To the man all really enjoyed and respected him. One scout told me Gerry always had our back, and gave them all stats on each team.
05-03-2018 05:50 PM
THRILL Offline
All American

I Root For: Boobies

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Gerry was MY usher.

He would come and sit with us and share thoughts, rumors, gossip, even sing Sweet Caroline
Better than that he would make sure some of the Rice women athletes or players GF's would have good seats in his section.

Love ya Gerry you will be missed
05-03-2018 07:03 PM
SpaceCityBuzz Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Gerry was MY usher, too.

He made the games very enjoyable and kept us plugged in. A great Irish storyteller and reservoir of Houston sports history.

Gerry you will be missed. It won't be the same.

RIP.
05-03-2018 10:14 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RIP, Gerry. You will be missed. Greatly.
05-03-2018 10:18 PM
Advertisement

#1RiceOwl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice
I think Gerry was everyone's usher. Whenever there was a problem in the park, he was there, taking care of things. But he was usually there at the top of our aisle, ready with a smile and a bit of knowledge and a tip about the game and, yes, a wonderful story to share when there was time to sit down. He will be sorely missed and will take some joy out of Reckling Park for me --- a highlight always. RIP.
05-04-2018 07:58 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
I never knew him by name but certainly recognized him when I saw a photo.

RIP.
05-04-2018 08:35 AM
RiceFootball2K5 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Gerry was a great one. Like everyone else, I always felt he was MY usher. I will certainly miss him. RIP Gerry.

Somebody please post his obit/funeral arrangements whenever they are announced.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2018 10:27 AM by RiceFootball2K5.)
05-04-2018 09:20 AM
Steven Herce Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Bomb Squad
Gerry was my first boss. I worked for him for two summers in high school. We were the summer maintenance crew at our high school. He called us his "Yard Dogs". Every once in a while he would make a point of calling me a "Yard Dog" when I would see him at games or Rice functions.

Rest in peace Gerry.
05-04-2018 12:24 PM
SpaceCityBuzz Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(05-04-2018 12:24 PM)Steven Herce Wrote:  Gerry was my first boss. I worked for him for two summers in high school. We were the summer maintenance crew at our high school. He called us his "Yard Dogs". Every once in a while he would make a point of calling me a "Yard Dog" when I would see him at games or Rice functions.

Rest in peace Gerry.

We heard the Yard Dog stories, too. Thank you, Steven, you old Yard Dog.
05-04-2018 03:12 PM
Advertisement

Minnewaska Owl Offline
2nd String

Along with Thrill, I spent many days and nights visiting with Gerry in Section F during Rice baseball games. The think I loved about guys like Gerry, was getting to listen to their sports stories from past eras. A couple years back we lost one of our close Section F buddies, Howard Feldman. Howard was originally from Philadelphia, but like many Rice fans, adopted the Owls as his favorite team. Howard used to share stories from when he followed the Phillies as a kid, and got to see Jackie Robinson play. I thought that was pretty neat.

Besides being an usher at baseball games, Gerry attended just about every Rice sporting event - for the men and women. I often sat next to him during women's volleyball matches. Truly a fascinating guy. For a while his family lived in New York City in the 50's. He shared many stories about attending Yankee, Giant and Dodger baseball games - back when New York was the center of the baseball world.

One of the last times I visited with Gerry he reminisced about his days coaching at St. Thomas High School. Apparently back then (in the 70's), there was a lot of pressure on faculty to coach multiple sports teams (in reality, because they were short on coaches). As a result, for a while Gerry was the St. Thomas men's tennis coach. One year he only had one player. Gerry's job was to essentially drive the guy to the various tournaments. He shared that this particular player was actually quite good, and one time made it to the final 16 at Wimbledon. Well, now he had my interest, so I asked what his name was. It was Nduka Odizar (i.e. "The Duke"). Back when I attended Rice - in the late 70's/early 80's, "The Duke" was one of the best players in the SWC. He was UH's number 1 player, and was almost unbeatable. I still remember the day when Rocky Royer, Rice's #1 player and fellow Loveteer, upset The Duke in a dual match at Rice. In those days, that was a big deal.

We'll miss you Gerry. I loved visiting with you, and will miss your wonderful stories.
05-05-2018 09:31 AM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(05-05-2018 09:31 AM)Minnewaska Owl Wrote:  Along with Thrill, I spent many days and nights visiting with Gerry in Section F during Rice baseball games. The think I loved about guys like Gerry, was getting to listen to their sports stories from past eras. A couple years back we lost one of our close Section F buddies, Howard Feldman. Howard was originally from Philadelphia, but like many Rice fans, adopted the Owls as his favorite team. Howard used to share stories from when he followed the Phillies as a kid, and got to see Jackie Robinson play. I thought that was pretty neat.

Besides being an usher at baseball games, Gerry attended just about every Rice sporting event - for the men and women. I often sat next to him during women's volleyball matches. Truly a fascinating guy. For a while his family lived in New York City in the 50's. He shared many stories about attending Yankee, Giant and Dodger baseball games - back when New York was the center of the baseball world.

One of the last times I visited with Gerry he reminisced about his days coaching at St. Thomas High School. Apparently back then (in the 70's), there was a lot of pressure on faculty to coach multiple sports teams (in reality, because they were short on coaches). As a result, for a while Gerry was the St. Thomas men's tennis coach. One year he only had one player. Gerry's job was to essentially drive the guy to the various tournaments. He shared that this particular player was actually quite good, and one time made it to the final 16 at Wimbledon. Well, now he had my interest, so I asked what his name was. It was Nduka Odizar (i.e. "The Duke"). Back when I attended Rice - in the late 70's/early 80's, "The Duke" was one of the best players in the SWC. He was UH's number 1 player, and was almost unbeatable. I still remember the day when Rocky Royer, Rice's #1 player and fellow Loveteer, upset The Duke in a dual match at Rice. In those days, that was a big deal.

We'll miss you Gerry. I loved visiting with you, and will miss your wonderful stories.
I won't hijack this thread, but someday we must have a thread dedicated to Rocky Royer stories.
05-05-2018 09:58 AM
Minnewaska Owl Offline
2nd String

(05-05-2018 09:58 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(05-05-2018 09:31 AM)Minnewaska Owl Wrote:  Along with Thrill, I spent many days and nights visiting with Gerry in Section F during Rice baseball games. The think I loved about guys like Gerry, was getting to listen to their sports stories from past eras. A couple years back we lost one of our close Section F buddies, Howard Feldman. Howard was originally from Philadelphia, but like many Rice fans, adopted the Owls as his favorite team. Howard used to share stories from when he followed the Phillies as a kid, and got to see Jackie Robinson play. I thought that was pretty neat.

I won't hijack this thread, but someday we must have a thread dedicated to Rocky Royer stories.

Loki, I knew you would respond to the Rocky Royer reference!
05-05-2018 10:11 AM
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

Visitation for Gerry will be Monday (5-7) from 4pm to 8 pm at the Settegast-Kopf Company, 15015 Southwest Freeway, Sugar Land,

Memorial Service--Tuesday (5-8) 10:30 am at St. Michael's Catholic Church, 1801 Sage Road, Houston.
05-05-2018 10:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.