Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: ESPN Subscription numbers for April
Bookmark and Share
USM FTW Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USM
OT: ESPN Subscription numbers for April
A few people find ESPN subscription numbers interesting (me included). April was a bad month with ESPN losing 1/2 a million subs (which is a net loss of $8 a sub == $4 million; not sure how the article came up with the $48 million number)

ESPN: -500K households
FS1: -328K households
Golf Channel: -505K
NBCSN: -544K
NFLN: -842K (Comcast kicked it up a tier with the Fox TNF news)

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-...ers-april/
05-02-2018 09:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: OT: ESPN Subscription numbers for April
welcome to the land of streaming moving forward.....

this is what finalizes the landscape across the board in all versions of media revenue moving forward....

Johnny Q. is all about giving 'da finga' to the 'rapists'....

EsPeNiS is toast with their current '+" model.....that's not surprising in the least coming from greedy corpshite 'murica types.....

#lawofdiminishing
05-02-2018 09:20 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
The thing “cord-cutting” enthusiasts haven’t grasped yet is they as they cut the one cord, they’re increasing their reliance on the other cord. Ultimately, some other media conglomerate is operating the data service, and they’re not going keep providing more and more content options at a lower price when decades of history tell them people are willing to pay “x” per month to be able to watch their favorite shows.

Honestly, IMOHO, the bigger picture with ESPN & the like is people losing interest in spectator sports in general. People don’t buy tickets to watch a game anymore, they buy tickets for a night out where there just happens to be a game being played next to them. And even though, for example, folks in Alabama love their Roll Tide or War Eagle, they could take or leave the other 164 hours of programming every week on an ESPN.

In the end (and you’re seeing the beginning of it with leagues and conferences starting their own networks), instead of paying your cable/satellite company $100 a month, you’ll be paying your internet provider $75 and another $20 each to see your favorite teams & shows. Yay.

Nobody uses whale oil any more, but that’s worked out pretty well for Exxon, Chevron, and Shell.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2018 10:43 AM by HarborPointe.)
05-02-2018 10:42 AM
Advertisement

USM FTW Offline
Water Engineer

(05-02-2018 10:42 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  Nobody uses whale oil any more, but that’s worked out pretty well for Exxon, Chevron, and Shell.

Yes, but don't forget it worked out quite well for the consumer also. Whale oil reached it's peak price in 1856 at $1.77 per gallon (in 1856!). By 1896 it was around $.40. This price drop was driven by the new found ability to refine petroleum into kerosene. By 1865 kerosene was around 7 cents per gallon which was a boon for the consumer.

Cord cutting lets people choose what they want / do not want to watch. For me personally, I've saved a ton of money and my kids don't really watch much TV. Win-Win for me.
05-02-2018 01:07 PM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(05-02-2018 10:42 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  The thing “cord-cutting” enthusiasts haven’t grasped yet is they as they cut the one cord, they’re increasing their reliance on the other cord. Ultimately, some other media conglomerate is operating the data service, and they’re not going keep providing more and more content options at a lower price when decades of history tell them people are willing to pay “x” per month to be able to watch their favorite shows.

Honestly, IMOHO, the bigger picture with ESPN & the like is people losing interest in spectator sports in general. People don’t buy tickets to watch a game anymore, they buy tickets for a night out where there just happens to be a game being played next to them. And even though, for example, folks in Alabama love their Roll Tide or War Eagle, they could take or leave the other 164 hours of programming every week on an ESPN.

In the end (and you’re seeing the beginning of it with leagues and conferences starting their own networks), instead of paying your cable/satellite company $100 a month, you’ll be paying your internet provider $75 and another $20 each to see your favorite teams & shows. Yay.

You may be right HP. I'll be happy to do that as long as I know my money isn't going to the SEC, which is what happens when you have to buy the packages as they have been in the past. The way cable packages are set up today, ESPN is basically taking money from fans of other teams and giving it to the SEC. I don't give a damn if I have to pay the same (or more) to get the teams I want as long as I know my money isn't being passed to the SEC.
05-02-2018 02:08 PM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

There really is no point in cord cutting when you replace it with multiple streaming services with a bunch of upgraded packages on top of a robust internet package. Probably a wash financially.

They gone make they money folks. One way or the other they gone make they money.

HP gets it.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2018 02:45 PM by shiftyeagle.)
05-02-2018 02:45 PM
Black Diamond Reb Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ole Miss / USM
(05-02-2018 02:45 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  HP gets it.

He's still pissed about the Wayne County cows.
05-02-2018 02:48 PM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

If you cut the cord and literally rely solely on Netflix and/or perhaps one other streaming service, then you're likely saving a significant amount of money per month. Kudos to those folks, but I imagine they're in the minority.

However if you cut the cord, but quickly realize you're a lethargic, no-life clown who binge watches TV on a regular basis then proceeds sign up for Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, ESPN+, MLB Network, HBO streaming, and Sling TV while at the same time insisting on believing you're saving money, then I've got some oceanfront property in Palmer's Crossing to sell you if you're interested.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2018 02:53 PM by shiftyeagle.)
05-02-2018 02:52 PM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

Cord cutter here... I use a Roku. I have Netflix, Hulu, Sling, and Amazon Prime. Now I've been a prime subscriber for years and did not join for the TV aspect, so that's a wash to me. Sling TV gets me 20 something channels including ESPN for about $22 a month. I love it, get quite a few channels I like with it.

My cost for all those (minus Prime) is about $45 versus Cox cable I was paying around $130.
05-07-2018 07:50 AM
NueDaeEagle Offline
Water Engineer

(05-07-2018 07:50 AM)EagleFWB Wrote:  Cord cutter here... I use a Roku. I have Netflix, Hulu, Sling, and Amazon Prime. Now I've been a prime subscriber for years and did not join for the TV aspect, so that's a wash to me. Sling TV gets me 20 something channels including ESPN for about $22 a month. I love it, get quite a few channels I like with it.

My cost for all those (minus Prime) is about $45 versus Cox cable I was paying around $130.
One of the major advantages to cord cutters like me is that there is no contract. So I can have Netflix for a few months then switch to Hulu and then back again when I want to. Then when football comes around I can add Sling and cut it off when football ends. Saves a ton of money and is very versatile.
05-14-2018 08:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.