Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
ESPN's College Sports Rights Game Plan:
States & Conference & Schools Whose Rights are Majority Owned by ESPN:
Alabama / SEC / Alabama, Auburn
Arkansas / SEC / Arkansas
Florida / SEC, ACC, AAC / Florida, Florida State, Miami, Central Florida, South Florida
Georgia / SEC, ACC / Georgia, Georgia Tech
Kentucky / SEC, ACC / Kentucky, Louisville
Louisiana / SEC, AAC / L.S.U., Tulane
Massachusetts / ACC / Boston College
Mississippi / SEC / Mississippi, Mississippi State
Missouri / SEC / Missouri
North Carolina / ACC, AAC / Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, Wake Forest, East Carolina
South Carolina / SEC, ACC / South Carolina, Clemson
Tennessee / SEC, AAC / Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Memphis
Virginia / ACC / Virginia, Virginia Tech

States & Conferences & Schools Where ESPN Holds Majority Rights of Some Schools:
Maryland / AAC / Navy
New York / ACC / Syracuse
Oklahoma/ AAC / Tulsa
Pennsylvania / ACC / Pittsburgh
Texas / SEC, AAC / Texas A&M, Southern Methodist, Houston

ESPN owns the Southeast outright. This is the area with the most recruits and the highest level of loyalty to viewing college sports. FOX holds no rights South of Maryland and East of Austin and Waco. This didn't happen by accident.

Outside of the Southeast the Southwest has the most recruits and the highest level of loyalty to viewing college sports.

If there is any region that ESPN would like to control the way they control the Southeast it is the Southwest.

So in a future realignment I would strongly suspect that ESPN will be interested in controlling the majority of rights for the following schools:
Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, T.C.U., and Texas Tech

The ability to monopolize the college sports rights in Texas and Oklahoma is an advertising bonanza which is unparalleled anywhere else in the nation. Look for an all out push by ESPN to more fully land this product.

ESPN will have spent money much more wisely by pursuing the product of the states of Oklahoma and Texas than they would by pursuing schools in any other states or regions of the country.

Realignment as we know it now is Network driven.

People talk about the vulnerability of ESPN but what they don't talk about is ESPN having the Southeast signed up well past the much ballyhooed 2023-5 time frame. That means that ESPN has roughly 70% of the top 30 or so brands under contract while the rest of the competition for college sports rights will be slugging it out for control over a woeful West Coast product and for the large alumni state schools of the Northern Midwest to Northeast. But remember ESPN has roughly 50% of the rights to all of that too.

The great sports rights battle of 2023-5 is really only over the 10 schools of the Big 12, The 12 schools of the PAC, and the 14 schools of the Big 10 (which is the only prize on the auction block outside of the states of Texas and Oklahoma).

I expect ESPN to follow their model of having total control over the healthiest recruiting and most rabid viewing college sports regions. The Mouse will go all out to land either the majority of rights in the Big 12 or to move the product they covet most to conferences that are more completely under ESPN's control.

I also think they will go after the Big 10's contract, at least, at the same level of control they currently have roughly 47% and will probably push for more control there. But the rights of the Big 10 won't be as important as making sure that Texas & Oklahoma and crew are secure.

If FOX is getting out of college sports it is because they were never really in the game. The SECN ranked higher than FS1 and FS2.

Yes our conferences have preferences as to who they would and would not like to add. But clearly ESPN has been working a master plan to dominate the most lucrative college sports markets and to have at least a serious stake in the rest. I see no reason why that plan will not be followed in the next realignment. They've already paid handsomely to hold onto that bell cow named Bevo. I think the next roundup will end with ESPN making sure that their favorite steer is in ESPN's corral, along with the rest of of that herd and the chuck wagon from Oklahoma.

Now that could happen with the wholesale buying of rights from the Big 12 and keeping them together, or from realignment. We'll see.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 01:16 PM by JRsec.)
05-07-2018 12:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: ESPN's College Sports Rights Game Plan:
It seems like the American Athletic contract is going to expire after the 2019-20 season. The AAC is pushing the idea of a P6, maybe in hope of landing a much bigger payday.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2017/...ights.html

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tu...f59aa.html
(original TV contract with ESPN, 2014)

http://www.bcsnn.com/blog/253-aac-wraps-...-more.html
05-07-2018 01:32 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-07-2018 01:32 PM)XLance Wrote:  It seems like the American Athletic contract is going to expire after the 2019-20 season. The AAC is pushing the idea of a P6, maybe in hope of landing a much bigger payday.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2017/...ights.html

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tu...f59aa.html
(original TV contract with ESPN, 2014)

http://www.bcsnn.com/blog/253-aac-wraps-...-more.html

I do think the AAC will get a nice boost this time around and I would expect ESPN to work to keep them for the reasons listed in the OP. It will be interesting to see if this time around Air Force and Army seek membership in the AAC, perhaps with some other more Western schools.

I know they get off on calling themselves a P6 conference, but clearly they are below the P5 and just as clearly above the other G4.

If ESPN wants to lock down the Big 12 product, outside of retaining them as a conference, doing it in connection with the ACCN debut and the renegotiation of the AAC contract would be an advantageous time to handle it. Pushing the P6 issue may just be another way of moving Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas and keeping a P5.

If Texas Tech, T.C.U., Kansas State, and Iowa State all headed to the AAC which was somewhat promoted by ESPN to the new "P5" with a few more bowl tie ins the network might see that as an elevation of all of its products values. Or ESPN might add Brigham Young, Boise State, Air Force, Colorado State, etc. to the remaining Big 12 and push that version of the Big 12 along with the AAC as the P6.

If nothing else that might force the PAC into expanding with some of the better remaining West Coast product. I could see the upside for ESPN in using the AAC contract renewal as an opportune time to rearrange the product placement so that all of it augmented the value of existing product.

And, pushing a new P5 or P6 nomenclature might also provide a clear culling of the lower tier G5 schools from those who can produce some ratings. In other words it might be an opportunity to redefine the FBS boundaries defacto if not any other way.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 01:51 PM by JRsec.)
05-07-2018 01:47 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
With UConn on the verge of moving to the Big East, and since Wichita State and Navy are only partials it is conceivable that the American could become "home" to up to 6 Big 12 schools. Would having that number of former P5 schools associate with the American be enough to have the conference considered a P league?
05-07-2018 03:09 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(05-07-2018 03:09 PM)XLance Wrote:  With UConn on the verge of moving to the Big East, and since Wichita State and Navy are only partials it is conceivable that the American could become "home" to up to 6 Big 12 schools. Would having that number of former P5 schools associate with the American be enough to have the conference considered a P league?

I doubt it would be considered an "equal" conference to the PAC, B1G, SEC, and ACC but it would solidify its "tweener" status far and away above the MWC, CUSA, SBC, and MAC. What makes the XII a power conference today is not Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Kansas St, Iowa St, or West Virginia, or even Oklahoma St or Kansas. It is Texas and Oklahoma.
05-07-2018 03:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.