Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who’s the Mount Rushmore of March Madness?
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Who’s the Mount Rushmore of March Madness?

I’d go Sister Jean, Jim Valvano, Gordon Hayward, & Stephen Curry. Maybe flip Larry Bird for Curry.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 08:43 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
05-07-2018 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jacksfan29 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: So Dak St/CU
RE: Who’s the Mount Rushmore of March Madness?
(05-07-2018 08:41 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

I’d go Sister Jean, Jim Valvano, Gordon Hayward, & Stephen Curry. Maybe flip Larry Bird for Curry.

Sorry, people may hate him, but you cannot talk about March Madness without Christian Laettner. Leave Sister Jean off, add Laettner and you have a good start.

Laettner, Magic Johnson, Valvano, Bird

Curry was a bigger deal once he hit the NBA. The Magic Bird games carried over to the NBA, but that year, and those two, DEFINED March Madness, making it the spectacle it is today.
05-08-2018 08:17 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-08-2018 08:17 AM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  Curry was a bigger deal once he hit the NBA. The Magic Bird games carried over to the NBA, but that year, and those two, DEFINED March Madness, making it the spectacle it is today.

I'd want the GOAT college basketball player, Lew Alcindor, on there.
05-08-2018 09:14 AM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
Valvano (greatest run), Ewing (3 final game appearances in 4 years), Wooden (Most titles), Bill Raftery (best announcer).
05-08-2018 11:01 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
*obligatory Uconn-grad Kemba Walker plug*
05-08-2018 02:02 PM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
If you don't put somebody from UK on there a bunch of whack jobs are going to torpedo your life
05-08-2018 02:24 PM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
Bill Russell, Lew Alcindor, Bill Walton and Christian Laettner.
05-08-2018 02:33 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Gordon Hayward would have been a lock if that shot from half court had gone in. It would have been the iconic shot of the NCAA tournament.....
05-08-2018 02:54 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-08-2018 02:02 PM)Bogg Wrote:  *obligatory Uconn-grad Kemba Walker plug*

If it was a Rushmore of greatest combined conference tournament and NCAA tournament runs, he'd certainly be on it. The three weeks UConn had from the start of the 2011 Big East tourney onwards rival what NC State did in the ACC/NCAA tournaments in 1983. Incredible clutch play.

I think UConn 2011 doesn't get enough credit for that, probably because the title game was a fizzle against a weak opponent. They didn't slay a giant.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 08:31 AM by quo vadis.)
05-09-2018 08:01 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

The one that is a surprise doesn't get more mention is Kris Jenkins. Only one to make a walk off shot to win the title.
05-09-2018 08:14 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-09-2018 08:14 AM)stever20 Wrote:  The one that is a surprise doesn't get more mention is Kris Jenkins. Only one to make a walk off shot to win the title.

I think to be on Rushmore you have to be instrumental in winning multiple titles. That's why i couldn't put my all-time favorite player, Patrick Ewing, up there. He just misses the cut.

The one exception would be Valvano, because the run of his NCST team has become iconic, and his death tragic, such that he has come to represent the "madness" aspect in a way that makes his one title larger than life, so to speak.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 08:30 AM by quo vadis.)
05-09-2018 08:29 AM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Enough about Valvano G-d dammit.
05-09-2018 09:03 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
IIRC, the term "March Madness" wasn't in common use regarding the NCAAT until around 1980. While great players like Bill Russell and Lew Alcindor are iconic NCAAT figures, in an era when the field was much smaller, they are associated more with their highly successful pro careers. Few fans remember many specific details of their tournament performances.

Bill Walton comes closer, with one of his two titles including the iconic 21 for 22 shooting performance (against Memphis State, I believe).

You can't watch the NCAAT anymore without seeing Valvano running around the court looking for someone to hug in 1983 in what is arguably the greatest upset in tournament history. That kind of burned the term March Madness into the public consciousness for keeps.

Much as people love to hate Christian Laettner, he was the key player in a lot of classic tournament games, and his last second shot to sink UK is another iconic moment shown constantly in tournament promos.

As for Curry, I honestly didn't remember that he had played in the tournament. Some other players get mentioned due to "recency bias". Maybe in reverse it's why Jim Calhoun doesn't get mentioned more, even though his championship teams were also great tournament teams (compared with their regular season success).
05-09-2018 09:10 AM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(05-09-2018 08:14 AM)stever20 Wrote:  The one that is a surprise doesn't get more mention is Kris Jenkins. Only one to make a walk off shot to win the title.

Only one?

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 09:11 AM by RutgersGuy.)
05-09-2018 09:11 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(05-08-2018 11:01 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  Valvano (greatest run), Ewing (3 final game appearances in 4 years), Wooden (Most titles), Bill Raftery (best announcer).

(05-08-2018 02:54 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Gordon Hayward would have been a lock if that shot from half court had gone in. It would have been the iconic shot of the NCAA tournament.....

Agree with both of these points. Each selection is representative of why March is so special (and, quite frankly, why there is no sporting event that comes close to matching it).

Mine would be:

Coaches: John Wooden, Mike Krzyzewski, Adolph Rupp, Dean Smith and Bobby Knight.

Players: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russell, Christian Laettner, Bill Walton and Oscar Roberston.
05-09-2018 10:20 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(05-09-2018 09:11 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

Only one?

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Technically, at least 1 second should have remained, if not 2, not that it would have made much of a difference.
05-09-2018 10:39 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

Players only:

Alcindor, Walton, Laettner ... you fill in the blank with a fourth guy, probably Russell.

And yes, I hate Laettner as much as the next guy, but he made the Final 4 all four of his years, and won two titles, and was indeed involved in many classic tournament games. To deny his place would just be ... hating.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 10:54 AM by quo vadis.)
05-09-2018 10:53 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Everyone hates Laett.
05-09-2018 11:04 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-09-2018 10:53 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Players only:

Alcindor, Walton, Laettner ... you fill in the blank with a fourth guy, probably Russell.

And yes, I hate Laettner as much as the next guy, but he made the Final 4 all four of his years, and won two titles, and was indeed involved in many classic tournament games. To deny his place would just be ... hating.

Not only that, but Laettner had maybe the most iconic made shot of anyone in history vs Kentucky in the Regional Final.
05-09-2018 11:05 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-09-2018 11:05 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(05-09-2018 10:53 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Players only:

Not only that, but Laettner had maybe the most iconic made shot of anyone in history vs Kentucky in the Regional Final.

I'll go to my grave thinking it was a crime he wasn't ejected for stepping on that UK player, never should have been on the court to make that shot.

But then again, it's just that kind of controversy that makes Laettner an indelible part of March history.
05-09-2018 11:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.