Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2018 Men’s Lacrosse NCAA Bracket
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
The NCAA lax bracket was recently announced. Maryland, Albany, Yale and Duke were the top seeds. Robert Morris, Richmond and Canisus got auto bids from the weaker leagues. The Big Ten only got Maryland and Johns Hopkins in. North Carolina and Virginia didn’t get in either.

Like to see a school like Albany win it, as they don’t have the notoriety.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/lacrosse-men/a...selections

https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket...sse-men/d1
05-08-2018 03:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
RE: 2018 Men’s Lacrosse NCAA Bracket
(05-08-2018 03:54 PM)NoDak Wrote:  North Carolina and Virginia didn’t get in either.

No. 6 seed Loyola Maryland hosts Virginia.

UNC is the only ACC team that didn't get in.
05-08-2018 04:02 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(05-08-2018 04:02 PM)ArQ Wrote:  
(05-08-2018 03:54 PM)NoDak Wrote:  North Carolina and Virginia didn’t get in either.

No. 6 seed Loyola Maryland hosts Virginia.

UNC is the only ACC team that didn't get in.
Shame on me. But at least UNC got yanked out of the tournament.
05-08-2018 04:22 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Odd ebb and flow with the sport. I would have thought the Patriot would be better represented over time with their growth. The ACC is everything it was supposed to be. The Big Ten finally sees that Hops and UMD dominance thing.

The Big East and Ivy, though...yowzas. I mean, Denver I get...Villanova as an at-large, too?
05-09-2018 09:04 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Nova was a surprise....so was Cuse hosting Cornell.

I highly recommend taking in a game if you haven't before...in person preferably but TV as a minimum.

Games last two hours and do not have the number of commercial TV timeouts like FB and BB.
05-09-2018 02:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GiveEmTheAxe Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Stanford
It looks like Denver is as far west as this sport goes. Go Pioneers!
05-09-2018 03:23 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-09-2018 03:23 PM)GiveEmTheAxe Wrote:  It looks like Denver is as far west as this sport goes. Go Pioneers!

Stanford would be a no-brainer to get a team. You just need 5 other west coast buddies to join. USC, UCLA, Oregon, Cal and ASU?
05-09-2018 09:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(05-09-2018 09:02 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(05-09-2018 03:23 PM)GiveEmTheAxe Wrote:  It looks like Denver is as far west as this sport goes. Go Pioneers!

Stanford would be a no-brainer to get a team. You just need 5 other west coast buddies to join. USC, UCLA, Oregon, Cal and ASU?

Utah's not on the coast, but Utah's in the process of upgrading their club team to a D-1 program, so that's one. The PAC could probably poach Air Force too, as I could see the Air Force AD wanting a reason to regularly be in contact with PAC officials/ADs. If Stanford were to field a team they'd need 3 other western-ish teams to field lacrosse under the PAC banner (Denver's obviously as far west as Air Force, but they're NEVER getting an invite to the PAC while you could kinda sorta talk yourself into them being a candidate if the Big East ever went to 14 and Denver got their basketball on track, so I think they'd want to keep the Big East affiliation).
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 09:36 PM by Bogg.)
05-09-2018 09:35 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-09-2018 09:35 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(05-09-2018 09:02 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Utah's not on the coast, but Utah's in the process of upgrading their club team to a D-1 program, so that's one. The PAC could probably poach Air Force too, as I could see the Air Force AD wanting a reason to regularly be in contact with PAC officials/ADs. If Stanford were to field a team they'd need 3 other western-ish teams to field lacrosse under the PAC banner (Denver's obviously as far west as Air Force, but they're NEVER getting an invite to the PAC while you could kinda sorta talk yourself into them being a candidate if the Big East ever went to 14 and Denver got their basketball on track, so I think they'd want to keep the Big East affiliation).

Good call forgot about Utah....Oregon would be a no-brainer with Nike

USC and UCLA down south...
05-09-2018 10:05 PM
GiveEmTheAxe Offline
2nd String

We could always use the MPSF to run it if we needed some combination of Pac-12, MWC, WCC, and Big West schools to get to 6.
05-09-2018 11:22 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(05-09-2018 11:22 PM)GiveEmTheAxe Wrote:  We could always use the MPSF to run it if we needed some combination of Pac-12, MWC, WCC, and Big West schools to get to 6.

I expect the goal would be to have the conference under the PAC banner with all/most games broadcast using the PAC network.
05-10-2018 11:10 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

That would be interesting were the PAC to sponsor men's lax. The Big East definitely benefits from Denver in that conference, but I wonder if a more geographically friendly setting for Denver would make them move. There's a huge recruiting benefit with the Big East, being in some good regions to recruit, but, does lax recruiting match the institution's typical enrollment profile?

Stanford and USC are the easy the picks for likely PAC lax schools. We know Utah's good. Cal Berkeley struggles a bit...could Cal Davis or San Diego ever consider going up that level? Air Force would easily slide over. I just wonder if a school like Washington would ever budge.
05-10-2018 07:07 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(05-10-2018 07:07 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  That would be interesting were the PAC to sponsor men's lax. The Big East definitely benefits from Denver in that conference, but I wonder if a more geographically friendly setting for Denver would make them move. There's a huge recruiting benefit with the Big East, being in some good regions to recruit, but, does lax recruiting match the institution's typical enrollment profile?

Stanford and USC are the easy the picks for likely PAC lax schools. We know Utah's good. Cal Berkeley struggles a bit...could Cal Davis or San Diego ever consider going up that level? Air Force would easily slide over. I just wonder if a school like Washington would ever budge.
Would think that former fb schools in the Big West, like UCSB, Fullerton St, Long Beach St, Northridge St and former fb offering schools in the WCC like Pacific, Santa Clara and maybe others would look into it. Lax requires less the 20% of scholarships that FCS does and would have nearly the same enrollment impact.
05-10-2018 07:16 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(05-10-2018 07:07 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  That would be interesting were the PAC to sponsor men's lax. The Big East definitely benefits from Denver in that conference, but I wonder if a more geographically friendly setting for Denver would make them move. There's a huge recruiting benefit with the Big East, being in some good regions to recruit, but, does lax recruiting match the institution's typical enrollment profile?

Well, again, there's no way that Denver is ever getting an invite to the PAC no matter what they do. Denver fits the institutional and big city profile of the Big East excellently, they just happen to be a bit too far west and, you know, bad at basketball. If they ever got to the point where they were consistently winning the Summit and doing a kind of Gonzaga Jr. thing you could almost see them getting consideration for a Big East spot, so I think they'd want to keep the affiliation.
05-10-2018 08:54 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(05-10-2018 08:54 PM)Bogg Wrote:  

Well, again, there's no way that Denver is ever getting an invite to the PAC no matter what they do. Denver fits the institutional and big city profile of the Big East excellently, they just happen to be a bit too far west and, you know, bad at basketball. If they ever got to the point where they were consistently winning the Summit and doing a kind of Gonzaga Jr. thing you could almost see them getting consideration for a Big East spot, so I think they'd want to keep the affiliation.
Agree partly, namely because there is all sorts of lax recruits going east. But Denver pines to get PAC12 hockey teams into the NHCH. Ariz St will get in as soon as their new hockey arena is finished and UNLV and Utah may come too. There isn’t a Big East hockey conference either, short of Providence. Denver and CC would probably prefer west coast hockey conference to an Upper Midwest one that they have now.
05-10-2018 09:57 PM
GiveEmTheAxe Offline
2nd String

Well, even if the TV angle doesn't work out, I wouldn't mind a NorCal-centric investment in the sport. Stanford, Cal, UC Davis, and Pacific currently make up a division of the America East field hockey league. Maybe something like that can happen for lacrosse with those schools and/or Santa Clara, USF, Saint Mary's, Sacramento State, and SJSU.
05-11-2018 01:58 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

(05-10-2018 08:54 PM)Bogg Wrote:  Well, again, there's no way that Denver is ever getting an invite to the PAC no matter what they do. Denver fits the institutional and big city profile of the Big East excellently, they just happen to be a bit too far west and, you know, bad at basketball. If they ever got to the point where they were consistently winning the Summit and doing a kind of Gonzaga Jr. thing you could almost see them getting consideration for a Big East spot, so I think they'd want to keep the affiliation.

I'm wondering about the impact of a PAC-12 lacrosse conference would have on a school like Denver, and what benefits recruitment-wise for the sport Denver may or may not lose were they to join a western conference to the eastern one they enjoy now.

I know it would hurt Big East lax. Like the Big Ten, Big East lax benefits from a monster like Denver, much in the same way B1G has with Hopkins and UMD. It makes the others in the conference better. If you lose that with Denver going west, what then?

I'm not taking this down those other avenues about full membership. Denver-Big East lax works for now. It may not in the future. Or it may. Time will tell.
05-11-2018 05:09 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

(05-11-2018 05:09 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  I'm wondering about the impact of a PAC-12 lacrosse conference would have on a school like Denver, and what benefits recruitment-wise for the sport Denver may or may not lose were they to join a western conference to the eastern one they enjoy now.

Ah, fair enough. Well, I imagine that Denver would be able to get basically anyone in a theoretical new western conference as an OOC opponent whenever they'd like, and playing as a conference member in the BE (with the conference tournament on the eastern seaboard) gives them great access to the rich northeastern/mid-Atlantic recruiting grounds. Denver would likely be better off maintaining conference membership with a strong eastern brand and loading up on a west-heavy OOC schedule (if that's what they want) than joining a west-centric conference and attempting to put together an Eastern OOC schedule every year.
05-11-2018 10:50 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Yesterday's games all went chalk. Albany and Duke looked like F4 teams. Yale and Loyola also won. Hard to make too many comments as weather definitely played a factor in the Loyola-UVA game.

Today's games should go chalk save for the last game of the day at the Dome. Cuse's faceoff game is bad this year and the defense is average. I see Cornell winning. Cornell is favored (9 seed) as a road game for them. This might be the largest crowd of the day. It won't look that way as the camera shoots the side of the field that doesn't fill up.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2018 08:50 AM by TexanMark.)
05-13-2018 08:47 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
Woo boy. Robert Morris played a heck of a first half but Maryland came back for the win. Tip of the cap to RMU.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
05-13-2018 02:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.