Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Athlon Ranks the QB's
Bookmark and Share
Franko Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
Exclamation Athlon Ranks the QB's
Another subjective list for off season discussion. Fine and Stockstill are the only 2 getting any love from CUSA.
2018 QB Rankings
05-10-2018 08:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Athlon Ranks the QB's
Surprised Griggs comes in at #80. Expected more in lower 90s.
05-10-2018 11:18 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Anything pertaining to MT in that Vandy-polluted "publication" is worthy of automatic dismissal.

It's hard to say Fine should be rated higher just off one good season - particularly if you compare Brent's freshmen numbers to Fine's sophomore numbers. As frosh Brent was better than Fine as a sophomore. Even in a injury shortened sophomore year, Brent also put up better overall numbers. On the other hand that freshman year is the only year Stockstilll played a full season, so ranking them among the other 130 isn't easy. Perhaps Fine gets the edge simply cause he didn't get hurt?? Oh and because Vandy pollution.

It seems crazy to think this considering Stockstill has nearly 9,000 yards passing, but if he doesn't play a full season this year, he will go down as yet another bust for a QB playing for his dad. And then we can affirmatively say that all Brent ever was - was one of the best freshmen in the league and a great player when he was actually on the field (except for last year after the injury when he never should have returned). That poor guy has endured some really bad luck.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2018 11:44 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
05-10-2018 11:37 AM
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
We've got a good rs Freshman and 4* transfer. No idea which will be "the guy." Neither have FBS game exp, so I don't imagine there's any way for a ranking to include us and I imagine it's similar for a lot of teams in CUSA that graduated or lost their starters.
05-10-2018 02:22 PM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
Just as the list says, FAU haven't settled on the QB, either.
05-10-2018 02:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NorthTexan95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(05-10-2018 11:37 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Anything pertaining to MT in that Vandy-polluted "publication" is worthy of automatic dismissal.

It's hard to say Fine should be rated higher just off one good season - particularly if you compare Brent's freshmen numbers to Fine's sophomore numbers. As frosh Brent was better than Fine as a sophomore. Even in a injury shortened sophomore year, Brent also put up better overall numbers. On the other hand that freshman year is the only year Stockstilll played a full season, so ranking them among the other 130 isn't easy. Perhaps Fine gets the edge simply cause he didn't get hurt?? Oh and because Vandy pollution.

It seems crazy to think this considering Stockstill has nearly 9,000 yards passing, but if he doesn't play a full season this year, he will go down as yet another bust for a QB playing for his dad. And then we can affirmatively say that all Brent ever was - was one of the best freshmen in the league and a great player when he was actually on the field (except for last year after the injury when he never should have returned). That poor guy has endured some really bad luck.

We should also point out that Stockstill had a much better team around him as a freshman and was running a system that had been in place for a long time. As a sophomore last year Fine had a very young team around him.
05-10-2018 03:05 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
UTSA will utilize a revolutionary new zero-QB system whereby we'll have a 4-RB set, and snap directly to one of those 4 guys. It'll be like a fullhouse backfield, except without a QB. We'll also use 2 tight ends and no receivers, and our coach will relay our plays to the cheerleaders who'll have specialized cheers for each one.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2018 04:30 PM by Volkmar.)
05-10-2018 04:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(05-10-2018 04:27 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  UTSA will utilize a revolutionary new zero-QB system whereby we'll have a 4-RB set, and snap directly to one of those 4 guys. It'll be like a fullhouse backfield, except without a QB. We'll also use 2 tight ends and no receivers, and our coach will relay our plays to the cheerleaders who'll have specialized cheers for each one.

Do that and UNT will refuse to play ya'll, like they did Army.
05-10-2018 04:31 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-10-2018 02:22 PM)MUther Wrote:  We've got a good rs Freshman and 4* transfer. No idea which will be "the guy." Neither have FBS game exp, so I don't imagine there's any way for a ranking to include us and I imagine it's similar for a lot of teams in CUSA that graduated or lost their starters.

You are right there is no way to assess either Alex Thomas or Isaiah Green, neither have taken a snap at the FBS level and Green has yet to take his 1st collegiate snap.

Green did have a strong spring and in the scripted Green and White Game was 4-5 passing with 2 TDs and run for 32 yards on 4 run attempts. One of the 2 TDs was a 74 yard strike to Marcel Williams down the right side of the field.

Under Holliday Marshall rarely plays a GW Game like a regular game scrimmage. He does situational plays and drills.

It will be interesting in a few weeks when Thomas gets on campus and and fall rolls around to see how much of the playbook he has grasped of new OC Tim Cramsey.
05-11-2018 10:59 AM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
UTEP's Kai Locksley, JC all American and JC offensive player of the year will lead UTEP this year. It's going to be a little more fun for Miner fans this season.
05-12-2018 03:46 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-12-2018 03:46 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  UTEP's Kai Locksley, JC all American and JC offensive player of the year will lead UTEP this year. It's going to be a little more fun for Miner fans this season.

Locksley was a one time Marshall commitment after leaving Texas in 2016. I think he seen Chase Litton as the starter for the next 3 seasons, turned out to be 2 and decided to find a new home after going JuCo.

The kid looks good if he has anything around him he should do well at UTEP.
05-12-2018 05:16 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
16. Mason Fine, North Texas

The Mean Green showed marked improvement in coach Seth Littrell’s second season and are likely to begin 2018 as the favorite to win Conference USA’s West Division once again. Led by Fine, a high-powered offense was a big reason why North Texas claimed the division title last year. Fine started all 14 games for the Mean Green, throwing for 4,052 yards and 31 touchdowns. The Oklahoma native’s 4,052 yards and 31 passing scores set new single-season records for the program. The huge statistical year also allowed Fine to earn first-team All-Conference USA honors.

Highest ranked QB in C-USA.
Highest ranked QB in Texas.
2nd Highest ranked QB in the G5.

Aside from possibly the RB position, North Texas is stacked on offense. If we can field just an average defense, we should be a very dangerous team this season. I think North Texas will get some good press around Texas, if we live up to expectations.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2018 03:13 PM by Side Show Joe.)
05-13-2018 03:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.