Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NASCAR Fire Sale
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
NASCAR Fire Sale
As fans race for the exits, the France family races to unload the train wreck to the highest bidder.

Selling NASCAR may be only way to save it

I doubt selling this sport will save it from two decades of bad decisions that alienated a large slice of their formerly loyal fan base.
05-11-2018 04:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
RE: NASCAR Fire Sale
(05-11-2018 04:48 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  As fans race for the exits, the France family races to unload the train wreck to the highest bidder.

I doubt selling this sport will save it from two decades of bad decisions that alienated a large slice of their formerly loyal fan base.

Let's shut down tracks in the South where most of our fans are and move more races out west where we can barely sell tickets.

Let's change the cars.

Let's change the rules.

Let's change the points system.

Let's change the cars to look like the old cars.

Let's change the points system again.

Let's institute a playoff system.

Let's change the racing format all together.

Yea I dropped out after the playoffs where Ryan Newman who hadn't won a race all season was left in the hunt and Earnhardt and Johnson were eliminated and won races afterward.
05-11-2018 05:53 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
I was a huge NASCAR fan and watched almost every race for years. Even went to a Coca-Cola 600 (Jeff Gordon's first win I think). I didn't watch any races for years, then tried to watch one last year and have no idea what they were doing? Segments? What the hell is that?
05-11-2018 05:56 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(05-11-2018 05:56 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  I was a huge NASCAR fan and watched almost every race for years. Even went to a Coca-Cola 600 (Jeff Gordon's first win I think). I didn't watch any races for years, then tried to watch one last year and have no idea what they were doing? Segments? What the hell is that?

Supposedly makes it more competitive or interesting like the Shootout.
05-11-2018 05:59 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I think the segments thing messed it up for me. I know what they are trying to do, but I think it's a mistake to do it. To me it's too gimmicky and destroys the integrity of the race. I don't think I've watched a full race since the segmenting began.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2018 06:02 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
05-11-2018 06:01 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(05-11-2018 05:53 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(05-11-2018 04:48 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  As fans race for the exits, the France family races to unload the train wreck to the highest bidder.

Let's shut down tracks in the South where most of our fans are and move more races out west where we can barely sell tickets.

Let's change the cars.

Let's change the rules.

Yea I dropped out after the playoffs where Ryan Newman who hadn't won a race all season was left in the hunt and Earnhardt and Johnson were eliminated and won races afterward.

What killed it for me was when Truex was booted from "The Chase" for receiving help from Waltrip teammate Bowyer to make it. They booted Truex so NASCAR darling Jeff Gordon could make it. Teams have done those kinds of "tricks" for years, maybe not as obvious, but helping a teammate win a race, or move up in points is common. At times NASCAR seems a little WWF when popular drivers suddenly win a race or make "The Chase". Everything you listed contributed to fans walking away, add to that ever increasing ticket prices through 2010 when sales started dropping like a rock and you get a dying sport. Bristol in August used to one of the hardest tickets to get now it doesn't even sell out.
05-11-2018 06:20 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(05-11-2018 05:56 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  I was a huge NASCAR fan and watched almost every race for years. Even went to a Coca-Cola 600 (Jeff Gordon's first win I think). I didn't watch any races for years, then tried to watch one last year and have no idea what they were doing? Segments? What the hell is that?

To be honest I like the segments things since it gives the drivers an incentive to actually race in the early stages of the race. Makes it more like Saturday night short track racing.

The only thing I would change is make it where the stage winner maintains his position at the front of the field on the restart.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2018 07:48 PM by Kaplony.)
05-11-2018 07:47 PM
DFWMINER Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies
They should go back to having production type cars run. No 2 door Camerys. Camaros should like like camaros all the way from front to back. Engines should be based on what is available from the mfgs.

There needs to be about 5 rules

Full roll cages
Must meet mfg templet
Must use mfg engine
Fuel cells
Weight limit

The rest is open and may the best team win

On that one, another new rule I'd like to see is limit teams to 2 cars. No more super teams. Let's see the little guy have a fighting chance.
05-11-2018 08:08 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(05-11-2018 07:47 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

To be honest I like the segments things since it gives the drivers an incentive to actually race in the early stages of the race. Makes it more like Saturday night short track racing.

The only thing I would change is make it where the stage winner maintains his position at the front of the field on the restart.

This supposed to be the big leagues. You don't change the rules to make it more like the minor league.
05-11-2018 08:14 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Only way to save it is go oldschool. Give everybody the same roll cage and make them fit it to their own production car with their own engine.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using CSNbbs mobile app
05-11-2018 08:17 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(05-11-2018 08:14 PM)Claw Wrote:  

This supposed to be the big leagues. You don't change the rules to make it more like the minor league.

You needed to have segments or else you could have multiple races in a season where you are top 5 for 90% of the race and into the final lap, then have one of the d*ckhead Busch brothers decide to push your rear quarter panel on a final lap pass, and you finish 30th and get sh*t for points. Also, it makes more of the race fun to watch.

For me, the biggest problem with the initial changes with the playoffs is that they didnt appear to have vetted the system out by taking back seasons and seeing what would have occurred.

They've also had issues in the past where a new car design gets to smoke the competition, with many of the drivers saying it would happen, before anything is done about it.

Tony Stewart could be a d*ck, but at least he stood up to these guys when they needed to be stood up to.
05-11-2018 08:24 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU

Let's change the cars.

Let's change the rules.

Let's make most of the tracks look the same!

Let's move most of the races to cable!
05-11-2018 08:47 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(05-11-2018 08:47 PM)Chappy Wrote:  

Let's change the cars.

Let's change the rules.

Let's make most of the tracks look the same!

Let's move most of the races to cable!
Yea Vegas and California speedway is basically the same track.

And moving it from FOX and NBC to cable has frustrated me to no end. I've watched maybe two races this year. With Jr retiring I just hadn't wanted to watch.
05-11-2018 10:51 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
too much like IROC....

cars are too small and too light....template overkill

aero has too much impact.....

too many rule changes....

too many cookie cutter tracks.....

too many unidentifiable faces.....scripted personalities

is over commercialized and too many commercials during broadcasts....

market saturation...

ridiculous ticket prices...

Brian France is an idiot...

4 car teams....

playoffs??? really??? playoffs??? what a joke that move was....

etc etc etc.....

it's become unwatchable at this point for me.....and I used to go to 'dega and atlanta every year....

I haven't watched a race since Stewart retired....and there were only a few I would tune into after he left Gibbs....
05-11-2018 11:47 PM
ODU BLUE Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
NASCAR rose in the age of radio. The excitement portrayed on radio never really transferred to TV. Especially on the tracks where races are won on fuel or pit strategy.

In my opinion they should have created two divisions, a NASCAR east and a NASCAR west. Televise the races regionally like other sports.
Run 30 cars on tracks in their region for 20 races. Let the top 10 cars in each division advance to a 20 car, ten race shootout for the championship. Run 5 shootout races on west coast tracks and 5 on east tracks.

42 cars has always been to many for most tracks.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2018 04:34 AM by ODU BLUE.)
05-12-2018 02:26 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Nascar can't be saved imo. It'll stick around in some form for a long time, but I see it continuing to lose viewers to other race leagues.
05-12-2018 10:29 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(05-11-2018 08:14 PM)Claw Wrote:  

While it makes it more similar it's still not totally like it. Whereas the Saturday night short tracks hold heat races to determine who gets in and what position they start in the main this breaks the race into three segments. It's more like the All Star Race format and it leads to actual racing at points in the race where before teams would just lay back and cruise.
05-12-2018 12:39 PM
Kaplony Offline

IMO the biggest problem is boring racing due to getting away from the short tracks like Richmond, North Wilkesboro, etc and going to the 1.5 mile tracks. When so many of your races end up being a fuel milage race that's not really racing.

Another problem is making the cars so aero-dependent. Get the splitter off the ground and put a bigger spoiler on the back and force these things to actually have to push through the air instead of cutting through it like they do now.
05-12-2018 12:44 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(05-11-2018 06:01 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think the segments thing messed it up for me. I know what they are trying to do, but I think it's a mistake to do it. To me it's too gimmicky and destroys the integrity of the race. I don't think I've watched a full race since the segmenting began.

The big problem for me wasn't the segments themselves, it was throwing a caution after each one. Just keep on racing.
05-14-2018 09:58 AM
Oman Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis !!
(05-14-2018 09:58 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(05-11-2018 06:01 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think the segments thing messed it up for me. I know what they are trying to do, but I think it's a mistake to do it. To me it's too gimmicky and destroys the integrity of the race. I don't think I've watched a full race since the segmenting began.

The big problem for me wasn't the segments themselves, it was throwing a caution after each one. Just keep on racing.

just a few thoughts..

keep the segments, but eliminate the caution like you said. reward the drivers for being competitive through the whole race.

only throw a caution when you must, not because a commercial is overdue. And when you throw one, let it last only as long as it takes to clean the track. why a 10 lap caution because someone spun out... if there's no debris, keep movin...

Run what you brung... encourage what's now called cheatin' If I want to run hard tires that never need to be changed and a 50 gallon fuel tank... have at it.

draft, block, bump, whatever, anything should go.

In the end it should be similar to the inital NASCAR..."i think my car can beat yours, wanna race?"
05-14-2018 01:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.