Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Owl golfers in NCAA regional in Bryan, Tex.
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Owl golfers in NCAA regional in Bryan, Tex.
Two Rice Owls will be competing as individuals in the 54-hole (three 18-hole rounds) NCAA Regional Golf Tournament being held Monday-Wednesday (May 14-16) at Texas A&M's Traditions Golf Club in Bryan, Tex.

Mario Carmona tees off from hole #1 at 9:20 a.m. (Central time) along with Michael Sass (Charleston, individual) and Matthew Specht (Bradley).

Mitchell Meissner tees off from hole #1 at 9:53 (the next-to-the-last tee time) along with Lewis George (Central Arkansas, individual) and Drake Bushong (Bradley).

Here is a link to the pairings. The leaderboard will also be accessible from that page.

Here is a link to the tournament manual.

The low five teams and a lone individual not on those teams will advance to the national finals to be held May 25-30 at Oklahoma State's home course, Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater.
05-14-2018 02:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: Owl golfers in NCAA regional in Bryan, Tex.
Carmona double bogeyed 18 today which messed up his okay round. He finished at +1. Meissner is on that tough 18th hole right now. He's also -1 heading to the last hole. The top individual scorer at this point is -2, so both guys are in the mix for the top at-large qualifying spot although there is a lot of golf left to be played.
05-14-2018 02:54 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2018 02:54 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Carmona double bogeyed 18 today which messed up his okay round. He finished at +1. Meissner is on that tough 18th hole right now. He's also -1 heading to the last hole. The top individual scorer at this point is -2, so both guys are in the mix for the top at-large qualifying spot although there is a lot of golf left to be played.

Meissner parred 18 to finish at -1 (T12 out of 75). Carmona was as high as T4/-2 early, but his double at 18 dropped him down to T22.

The Top 5 teams are currently:

A&M (-9)
Baylor (-6)
Clemson (-5)
UCLA (Even)
South Carolina (+5)

.... follow closely by Ole Mis (+6), Bradley (+9 ) and Kentucky (+10).

The top individuals and golfers not on a Top 5 team are at -3 (Braden Thornberry/Ole Miss and Chip McDaniel/Kentucky) and -2 (Blake Elliott /McNeese and Michael Perras/Houston).

Two more rounds to play ... on each on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Go Owls!!
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2018 03:17 PM by Almadenmike.)
05-14-2018 03:16 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

Mitchell & Mario both had good bounce-back rounds today.

Mitchell started with two bogeys ... but hit 6 birdies and only one more bogey to end up -3 for the day and -4 (T8) for the tournament.

Mario recovered from consecutive double bogeys on 7 & 8 by making 5 birdies over his next 10 holes to finish -1 today, good for T14 (Even par after both days).

Mitchell is currently the second-best individual not on a Top 5 team. First is Blake Elliott of McNeese State (-4 today; -6 overall). Only one non-Top-5-team individual will advance to the NCAA's national finals.

The top teams are currently:

A&M (-19)
Clemson (-17)
Baylor (-6)
UCLA (Even)
Ole Miss (+3)
- - - -
South Carolina (+11)
Kentucky (+13)
Northern Colorado (+17)
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018 03:08 PM by Almadenmike.)
05-15-2018 03:03 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
It's going to be a tight, exciting finish in College Station. Meissner is currently even on the day thru 8 holes so remains at -4 for the tournament. Blake Elliott of McNeese State continues to be the leader for the lone individual spot and is +1 thru 7 holes so he's -5 for the tournament. Carmona is -1 on the day but he's still 4 shots back of Meissner.

The only fly in the ointment is if Ole Miss falls out of the top 5 in the team competition (they're currently 5th, 4 shots ahead of two teams). If that did happen, they have a golfer who is 3 shots ahead of Elliott and 4 in front of Meissner.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2018 12:06 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
05-16-2018 12:05 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Ole Miss did in fact fall apart today as a team so it's looking likely that Kentucky ends up in 5th (unless they fall apart in their final few holes). But the one Ole Miss golfer who held it together today finished at -9 (he's the defending NCAA individual champ by the way and finished 4th as an amateur in a PGA event last summer). So, Meissner appears to be out of luck. Elliott is now 4 shots ahead of him anyway so it's going to take a miracle for him to qualify at this point.

Still it was a superb season and collegiate career for both Meissner and Carmona, and both should accomplish a lot of things in their future golf endeavors.

I also question the wisdom of the NCAA format to begin with. Elliott for instance is currently ahead of all UCLA and Kentucky golfers (and Meissner is ahead of all but one UCLA golfer) but neither qualifies for the NCAA Championship? That's just an odd format for a sport which is pretty much an individual sport for all intent and purpose.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2018 01:46 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
05-16-2018 01:41 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

With 4 holes left, McNeese's Blake Elliott (-8) is now just one stroke behind Ole Miss' Braden Thornberry (-9), who had a much earlier tee time, for the lone individual qualifier.

Thornberry had bogeyed his final hole (#9), while Elliott has just birdied two of his last three (#12 & #14).

Does NCAA tennis still have both team and individual championship tournaments? If so, it would seem that NCAA golf should have a similar arrangement.

- - - - -

UPDATE: Elliott birdied #15 to tie Thornberry at -9!!

Kentucky was only one stroke ahead of Ole Miss going into its final two holes ... and the star Wildcat (Chip McDaniel) eagled the par-4 18th to seal UK's 5th place finish and be the last team to qualify from the Bryan Regional.

- - - - -

UPDATE2: Elliott bogeyed #16 to fall a stroke behind Thornberry.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2018 02:24 PM by Almadenmike.)
05-16-2018 01:56 PM
Advertisement

illiniowl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-16-2018 01:41 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Ole Miss did in fact fall apart today as a team so it's looking likely that Kentucky ends up in 5th (unless they fall apart in their final few holes). But the one Ole Miss golfer who held it together today finished at -9 (he's the defending NCAA individual champ by the way and finished 4th as an amateur in a PGA event last summer). So, Meissner appears to be out of luck. Elliott is now 4 shots ahead of him anyway so it's going to take a miracle for him to qualify at this point.

Still it was a superb season and collegiate career for both Meissner and Carmona, and both should accomplish a lot of things in their future golf endeavors.

I also question the wisdom of the NCAA format to begin with. Elliott for instance is currently ahead of all UCLA and Kentucky golfers (and Meissner is ahead of all but one UCLA golfer) but neither qualifies for the NCAA Championship? That's just an odd format for a sport which is pretty much an individual sport for all intent and purpose.

I would agree; by way of analogy, in cross country the top 4 individuals at each of 9 regionals not on qualifying teams advance to nationals (as long as they were in the top 25 at regionals) (and then there are 2 more "at large" individuals after that).
05-16-2018 02:22 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

After 13 consecutive pars, Meissner bridied his final hole to finish overall T8 (-5; -1 today) ... and the third-best individual not a member of a Top 5 team.

Carmona birdied two of his first five holes, but then made four bogeys in his last 13 holes, including on #18, to finish +2 for the day and T25 overall (+3) in the field of 75.

Here's a link to the player leaderboard: http://results.golfstat.com/public/leade...&tid=15133

Congrats for your excellent performances this week ... and all year ... Mitch & Mario!!

(FYI, Elliott will not move on, as he parred his final two holes to finish a stroke behind Thornberry.)
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2018 02:58 PM by Almadenmike.)
05-16-2018 02:55 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-16-2018 01:56 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  Does NCAA tennis still have both team and individual championship tournaments? If so, it would seem that NCAA golf should have a similar arrangement.

Yes, 64 teams make the 1st round of the team competition, and then 64 singles players and 32 doubles team make the individual tournaments, which begin after the team winner is decided.

Now granted, tennis is a different type of sport from golf and it might be a too much to ask golfers to play 144 holes of golf or so over a week's period. But I think they need to tinker with the tournament format a bit - maybe only have 4 regional teams make it from each of the 6 regionals and then allow for an additional 5 individuals from every regional? Look at Columbus for example - #1 Oklahoma State won that region by 8 strokes over 2nd place Illinois and 23 strokes over 3rd place UNLV. An individual golfer from Michigan won that tournament.

There is a golfer from UTEP who I believe might qualify for the NCAA tournament. He was just t-40th at the CUSA tournament.
05-16-2018 03:48 PM
Advertisement

gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
The challenge with golf is a limitation on the number of holes that can be played in a given day. I honestly don't know the details, but 30 teams, plus another 6 golfers, means putting 156 golfers on a course (multiple courses? my memory says that may be how it works, as 156 seems like a lot in 1 day, going out in trios). That's 52 trios you have to schedule, so where do you draw the line when everyone needs to play similar courses in the same timeframe?

At least with tennis, there's a play-in at hosting facilities through the first few rounds, which spreads the load. Nominally, that's what the regionals are supposed to do. But it does seem odd to take just the top player from each regional who's not on a team. But do you need to take the top 6 players from each regional, if you drop a team? Is that fair, either?

As for cross-country, that's why the course is so big at the beginning, as there are different speeds that they can ultimately fit together on the course. They can kind of get away with it.

I don't have the answers, just asking some questions, as I honestly have never paid enough attention to the details on golf's post-season format.
05-17-2018 01:29 PM
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

There are 156 players playing in the Byron Nelson Tournament in Dallas today.
05-17-2018 02:09 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2018 01:29 PM)gsloth Wrote:  The challenge with golf is a limitation on the number of holes that can be played in a given day. I honestly don't know the details, but 30 teams, plus another 6 golfers, means putting 156 golfers on a course (multiple courses? my memory says that may be how it works, as 156 seems like a lot in 1 day, going out in trios). That's 52 trios you have to schedule, so where do you draw the line when everyone needs to play similar courses in the same timeframe?

The standard PGA Tour tournament has an initial field of 144, although a few, such as the U.S. Open, start with 156.

They'll divided the field into quarters, with half starting in the morning, the other half starting in the afternoon -- typically in threesomes. Within those halves, one half starts on #1, while the other half starts at #10. For the second day, positions are reversed: e.g., morning #1 => afternoon #10.

So for the 52 threesomes in a 156-golfer field, that's 13 morning and 13 afternoon start times (~10-12 minutes apart) from each of the #1 and #10 tees.

For the first two rounds of last year's U.S. Open, those tee times ranged from 6:45-8:57 a.m. for the morning wave and 12:40 - 2:42 p.m. for the afternoon golfers.
05-17-2018 02:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.