Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tampa Bay Times AAC Team Rankings
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Tampa Bay Times AAC Team Rankings
From Joey Knight of the Tampa Bay Times. I like Knight, he is a good writer, despite his fixation on announced vs. actual attendance.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls...-rankings/

AAC post-spring football rankings

In the spirit of the way-too-early 2018 college football projections that have inundated cyberspace, we're getting in on the premature prognostications.

Well, not that premature. Spring practices are in the books, and presumably, most of the 11th-hour transfers have been completed nationwide. As a result, we can make some hypotheses that are fairly educated, and/or fairly subject to derision.

Here then, are our American Athletic Conference post-spring rankings (teams listed with 2017 records).

East Division
1. UCF (13-0, 8-0)
The reigning national champs (at least in the Colley Matrix stratosphere) remain the class of this conference. QB McKenzie Milton, last year's AAC Offensive Player of the Year, returns every prominent skill guy except top receiver Tre'Quan Smith. The defense must replenish up front, but the back end remains pretty sturdy despite CB Mike Hughes' jump to the NFL. The glaring question is how effectively the Knights transition from Scott Frost to new coach Josh Heupel.

2. USF (10-2, 6-2)
The Bulls' fortunes hinge on their quarterback, whomever wins the job. Charlie Strong risked creating locker-room furor by bringing in graduate transfer Blake Barnett to compete against popular veterans Chris Oladokun and Brett Kean. That said, we believe Oladokun or Kean still starts opening day. The rest of the offensive skill spots are loaded, and the o-line is serviceable. Elsewhere, depth issues remain at linebacker and safety, and a kicker still must be found.

3. Temple (7-6, 4-4)
Arguably no league team is trending upward more profoundly than the Owls, last seen knocking FIU's Alex McGough out of the game in a 28-3 Gasparilla Bowl romp. QB Frank Nutile, who took over in Week Eight and went 4-2, is the unquestioned starter now. Top rushers David Hood and Ryquell Armstead (1,242 combined yards) return, as does leading receiver Isiah Wright (46 catches, 668 yards). Seven defensive starters are back, including all three linebackers.

4. Cincinnati (4-8, 2-6)
The long-term future appears solid for the Bearcats, who had the AAC's top-ranked recruiting class in '18 and No. 3 class in '17 (per 247Sports). The short term? Sketchy. QB Hayden Moore returns for what seems his 14th season, but currently he's the only QB on the roster who has thrown a collegiate pass. Nearly the entire starting offensive line must be replaced. So must LB Jaylin Minor, the leading tackler.

5. Connecticut (3-9, 2-6)
The Huskies will enter 2018 with a different starting quarterback (juco transfer David Pindell) and offensive coordinator (former Chicago Bears staffer John Dunn) from the '17 opener. Elsewhere, they may be even greener. Coach Randy Edsall said prior to spring practice he has only seven scholarship seniors, with 73 percent of the roster composed of underclassmen.

6. East Carolina (3-9, 2-6)
No AAC coach occupies a hotter seat than ECU's Scottie Montgomery, who recently said goodbye to the AD (Jeff Compher) who hired him. QB Gardner Minshew bolted for Washington State as a graduate transfer, leaving a newbie to navigate a schedule that features North Carolina, Virginia Tech and USF in three of the first four weeks. Seven starters return on defense, but considering the Pirates allowed 542.1 yards a game, we don't know if that should cause fans to grin or grimace.

West Division
1. Memphis (10-3, 7-1)
Coach Mike Norvell recently told a Jackson (Miss.) Rotary group that Tigers success "is here to stay." Based on what returns, it's tough to argue. The big question is at quarterback, where Arizona State transfer Brady White and redshirt sophomore David Moore are battling to replace QB Riley Ferguson. Kick-return extraordinaire Tony Pollard is back, as is top rusher Darrell Henderson (1,154 yards). The defense allowed nearly 490 yards a game in '17, but eight starters return.

2. Navy (7-6, 4-4)
The Midshipmen, last seen annihilating Virginia 49-7 in the Military Bowl, must replace seven starters on each side. That's easier to do when your system is sure-fire and your coaching staff annually remains intact. Converted slot-back Malcolm Perry (1,182 rushing yards in '17) is the projected starting QB, but veteran Zach Abey (11 career starts) also returns. Navy was 85th nationally in turnover margin last year. We see that number — and Navy's win total — improving.

3. Houston (7-5, 5-3)
Four of the Coogs' five defeats were by six or fewer points. Converted WR D'Eriq King, who torched USF in the second half last year, is the offensive focal point now, but there's minimal experience around him (2016 and '17 leading rusher Duke Catalon left the teamm for personal reasons). DT Ed Oliver, possibly the No. 1 overall pick in the '19 draft, leads a defense that could be among the league's best, especially now that S Deontay Anderson — an Ole Miss transfer — is eligible.

4. SMU (7-6, 4-4)
After its 51-10 Frisco Bowl embarrassment against Louisiana Tech, the Mustangs ran approximately 300 live reps in spring practice, new coach Sonny Dykes estimates. Veteran QB Ben Hicks will run Dykes' 'Air Raid' offense (a run-and-shoot variation) that will be coordinated by former UConn OC Rhett Lashlee. We tend to believe that Frisco fiasco was more an aberration, and that SMU will contend for a bowl again.

5. Tulane (5-7, 3-5)
The Green Wave return 15 starters from a squad that came within a whisker of bowl eligibility (three losses by three or fewer points). Arguably the most glaring concern is quarterback depth, where only veteran Jonathan Banks (2,389 total yards in '17) has taken a collegiate snap. If he remains healthy, Tulane appears capable of reaching its first bowl game in five years.

6. Tulsa (2-10, 2-6)
We were as stunned as anyone with how the Golden Hurricane bottomed out in 2017. As stands to reason, the roster was inundated with juco transfers and early enrollees over the winter, and a new strength staff was brought in. Sophomore QB Luke Skipper, who started five games last season, led TD drives on all four of his possessions in Tulsa's frigid spring game and appears the guy for now. This team may improve a bit, but we don't foresee any quantum leap.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018 10:15 AM by BullsFanInTX.)
05-15-2018 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
RE: Tampa Bay Times AAC Team Rankings
Fair assessment for SMU
05-15-2018 10:16 AM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
Looks ok to me,... for now
05-15-2018 10:19 AM
Attackcoog Online

Im really looking forward to this season. Houston went 7-5 last year with all 5 defeats being by 6 or less points. The defense may be the best in the league in 2018. King will have a year of experience and an entire off season as the starting QB--that should help the offense immeasurably. If Kendal Briles can squeeze just one additional TD a game out of the offense----2018 could be a pretty good year for the Coogs.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018 10:35 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-15-2018 10:33 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-15-2018 10:33 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Im really looking forward to this season. Houston went 7-5 last year with all 5 defeats being by 6 or less points. The defense may be the best in the league in 2018. King will have a year of experience and an entire off season as the starting QB--that should help the offense immeasurably. If Kendal Briles can squeeze just one additional TD a game out of the offense----2018 could be a pretty good year for the Coogs.

I agree. My one complaint about his rankings is that I thought he had the Cougars too low.
05-15-2018 10:38 AM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(05-15-2018 10:33 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Im really looking forward to this season. Houston went 7-5 last year with all 5 defeats being by 6 or less points. The defense may be the best in the league in 2018. King will have a year of experience and an entire off season as the starting QB--that should help the offense immeasurably. If Kendal Briles can squeeze just one additional TD a game out of the offense----2018 could be a pretty good year for the Coogs.

and noting that just "one additional TD a game" to our last years offense would still be the worst offense briles has ever produced
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018 11:06 AM by pesik.)
05-15-2018 10:43 AM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

Nothing very stunning here. I think I could have made the same rankings prediction without knowing anything about each school and their new teams for the year.
05-15-2018 11:05 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I'd swap Temple and USF. I thought Temple really came on strong last year and they'll be pretty good this year.

USF has a massive question mark at QB and have to fill many skill positions.
05-15-2018 12:15 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-15-2018 12:15 PM)The Knight Time Wrote:  I'd swap Temple and USF. I thought Temple really came on strong last year and they'll be pretty good this year.

USF is one of the most loaded teams in the conf. at WR (have you forgotten the 227 yards Tyre McCants put on UCF last year) with McCants and Salomon among MANY others. USF might go 8-10 deep at WR.

Joey Knight, who has been to every single USF practice the past several years, thinks USF is also stacked at QB and RB, but that the talent just hasn't been proven yet. We have a 5 star transfer and 2 veteran backups who have been in the system for years and are ready now. One of those guys will show out.

Offensive talent will be the least of USF's concerns. Have you also forgotten USF is in Florida where skill position guys grow on trees. I am really worried about the defensive line after losing Deadrin Senat and others, however. The offensive line will have to replace 2 starters also.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018 12:36 PM by BullsFanInTX.)
05-15-2018 12:31 PM
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(05-15-2018 12:31 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(05-15-2018 12:15 PM)The Knight Time Wrote:  I'd swap Temple and USF. I thought Temple really came on strong last year and they'll be pretty good this year.

USF is one of the most loaded teams in the conf. at WR (have you forgotten the 227 yards Tyre McCants put on UCF last year) with McCants and Salomon among MANY others. USF might go 8-10 deep at WR.

Joey Knight, who has been to every single USF practice the past several years, thinks USF is also stacked at QB and RB, but that the talent just hasn't been proven yet. We have a 5 star transfer and 2 veteran backups who have been in the system for years and are ready now. One of those guys will show out.

Offensive talent will be the least of USF's concerns. Have you also forgotten USF is in Florida where skill position guys grow on trees. I am really worried about the defensive line after losing Deadrin Senat and others, however. The offensive line will have to replace 2 starters also.

I'm not surprised a Tampa publication is high on USF, but it's just a ton of projection, especially at a position like QB. Barnett has flamed out in his career thus far, and isn't even a lock to start. Calling him a 5* QB at this point is a bit excessive.

Yes, USF has a ton of talent, but there's something to be said for experience.
05-15-2018 02:25 PM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
I'm apprehensive about any high Memphis ranking just because we lost our QB and a record setting WR.
05-15-2018 03:39 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-15-2018 02:25 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

I'm not surprised a Tampa publication is high on USF, but it's just a ton of projection, especially at a position like QB. Barnett has flamed out in his career thus far, and isn't even a lock to start. Calling him a 5* QB at this point is a bit excessive.

Joey Knight is actually pretty even handed and is not afraid to write negative stuff about USF. He even said on twitter he considered putting Temple ahead of USF, but felt USF just had more talent at the skill positions than Temple.
05-15-2018 05:23 PM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
ECU, UConn, and Cincinnati could all be 4, 5 or 6.
05-15-2018 05:48 PM
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(05-15-2018 05:23 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(05-15-2018 02:25 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

Joey Knight is actually pretty even handed and is not afraid to write negative stuff about USF. He even said on twitter he considered putting Temple ahead of USF, but felt USF just had more talent at the skill positions than Temple.

(healthy) Ventell Bryant
Isaiah Wright
Kenny Yeboah
Sean Ryan and a few other incoming receivers with great speed
Ryquell Armstead
(healthy) Jager Gardner

I feel pretty damn good about the talent we have at the skill positions. Might not have the stars, but the talent is there.
05-16-2018 12:01 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
(05-15-2018 05:48 PM)PirateJim Wrote:  ECU, UConn, and Cincinnati could all be 4, 5 or 6.

Considering we beat Cincy and UCONN last year, I think we should be 4 but it's like arguing whose the tallest midget.
05-16-2018 05:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC
One thing for sure! We have a tough football conference..Every team is dangerous week to week....
05-16-2018 06:29 AM
wylioats Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Memphis plays at Navy 2nd game of the year, tough early season game for both teams. I'll be there along with 8 other Tiger fans, looking forward to it.
05-16-2018 07:44 AM
PonyUpTempo Offline
2nd String

(05-15-2018 10:13 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  From Joey Knight of the Tampa Bay Times. I like Knight, he is a good writer, despite his fixation on announced vs. actual attendance.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls...-rankings/

4. SMU (7-6, 4-4)
After its 51-10 Frisco Bowl embarrassment against Louisiana Tech, the Mustangs ran approximately 300 live reps in spring practice, new coach Sonny Dykes estimates. Veteran QB Ben Hicks will run Dykes' 'Air Raid' offense (a run-and-shoot variation) that will be coordinated by former UConn OC Rhett Lashlee. We tend to believe that Frisco fiasco was more an aberration, and that SMU will contend for a bowl again.

This is ok except SMU will not be running the Air Raid. Our offense will be keeping the same power spread principles implemented by our former head coach. The same system that Coach Lashlee knows better than our previous head coach.
05-16-2018 05:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.