Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dennis Dodd Sounding Alarm Bells on Pac-12 - Opportunity for Big Ten?
Bookmark and Share
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
Dennis Dodd Sounding Alarm Bells on Pac-12 - Opportunity for Big Ten?
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...-too-late/

Yes, he even said the dreaded phrase in college football circles: Power 4.

That must be viewed as a giant diss for a conference considered one of the most stable ones. Granted, there's still opportunity for them to turn things around. However, I think that they're being hamstrung by their stubbornness in maintaining independence on the conference network when its future is in doubt by cord cutting and streaming hasn't yet proven to be a viable sports replacement.

But the possibility that they may not be considered a power conference in years' time (& I still find it a crazy scenario) would have to put a fire on the backsides of several athletic directors out there. If they complain about being ignored now imagine if the powers-that-be "relegate" the PAC to the G level.

The PAC programs need exposure out east and if they can't pull programs from the easternmost two timezones then there may be some difficult decisions ahead to be made by several more prominent programs in that conference. Programs like Stanford, USC and Washington want to be viewed as power players in the college ranks. I don't think they want to be viewed as G6 programs.

I know it's way too early to know for sure but if I'm the Big Ten and I read these types of stories then I would start having quiet back channel conversations with certain PAC programs now for when it's time to make a big splash years from now. Yes, distance is a pain but if there are programs that fit what the Big Ten is looking for and also want to desperately join there may not be a more likelier place to find them in the near future.

Assuming it's more than Dodd blowing hot air, I look to program like the three I mentioned plus UCLA, Arizona and perhaps Colorado or Oregon. If the Cal-4 are a package deal then there are greater limits on what combinations are possible. If not then much greater leeway is warranted.

Personally, I like the North-South combos of either USC/Stanford or UCLA/Cal. Then Washington is brought on board for the Seattle market, Colorado for the Denver market, finally Oregon and Arizona to round out the pick ups.

With the Cal-4 as one package then I'd add Washington and one of Arizona/Colorado/Oregon. The recruits in California are in the Los Angeles area. So the Big Ten should press for at least one of the SoCal programs. Imagine the Rose Bowl as a Big Ten venue. Talk about total eclipse of the sun.
05-16-2018 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Dennis Dodd Sounding Alarm Bells on Pac-12 - Opportunity for Big Ten?
(05-16-2018 04:07 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...-too-late/

That must be viewed as a giant diss for a conference considered one of the most stable ones. Granted, there's still opportunity for them to turn things around. However, I think that they're being hamstrung by their stubbornness in maintaining independence on the conference network when its future is in doubt by cord cutting and streaming hasn't yet proven to be a viable sports replacement.

But the possibility that they may not be considered a power conference in years' time (& I still find it a crazy scenario) would have to put a fire on the backsides of several athletic directors out there. If they complain about being ignored now imagine if the powers-that-be "relegate" the PAC to the G level.

The PAC programs need exposure out east and if they can't pull programs from the easternmost two timezones then there may be some difficult decisions ahead to be made by several more prominent programs in that conference. Programs like Stanford, USC and Washington want to be viewed as power players in the college ranks. I don't think they want to be viewed as G6 programs.

I know it's way too early to know for sure but if I'm the Big Ten and I read these types of stories then I would start having quiet back channel conversations with certain PAC programs now for when it's time to make a big splash years from now. Yes, distance is a pain but if there are programs that fit what the Big Ten is looking for and also want to desperately join there may not be a more likelier place to find them in the near future.

Assuming it's more than Dodd blowing hot air, I look to program like the three I mentioned plus UCLA, Arizona and perhaps Colorado or Oregon. If the Cal-4 are a package deal then there are greater limits on what combinations are possible. If not then much greater leeway is warranted.

Personally, I like the North-South combos of either USC/Stanford or UCLA/Cal. Then Washington is brought on board for the Seattle market, Colorado for the Denver market, finally Oregon and Arizona to round out the pick ups.

With the Cal-4 as one package then I'd add Washington and one of Arizona/Colorado/Oregon. The recruits in California are in the Los Angeles area. So the Big Ten should press for at least one of the SoCal programs. Imagine the Rose Bowl as a Big Ten venue. Talk about total eclipse of the sun.

Seems Washington State has been cooking the books. Maybe the Big 12 could let WVU go and add 11 PAC schools (sans WSU) and move to 20. That way the SEC and Big 10 would be free to parse the ACC's more accessible and more TV friendly targets.
05-16-2018 08:08 PM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(05-16-2018 08:08 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-16-2018 04:07 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...-too-late/

Seems Washington State has been cooking the books. Maybe the Big 12 could let WVU go and add 11 PAC schools (sans WSU) and move to 20. That way the SEC and Big 10 would be free to parse the ACC's more accessible and more TV friendly targets.
05-21-2018 08:48 PM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
If the PAC schools want exposure for their schools in other parts of the country the only way I see that happening is to have the league split among two leagues that have better viewership in time zones they currently don't reach. Fans tend to watch other teams in their conference.
05-21-2018 08:50 PM
Advertisement

Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
I think that if the Pac 12 schools were located in the Central Time Zone... They'd be in trouble. The reason I don't think they are in any danger whatever of losing members except maybe Colorado is pure geography. Who in the heck would want to fly their softball squad to Pullman, Washington or Beaverton, Oregon. If you could just pull in tje Football teams that would change the game, the Cali schools, Washington, Oregon, ASU, & Colorado would then be of interest. However would it actually feel like a Conference?
The Pac 12s best chance imo was when they wanted to merge with the Big 12 a few years back. They proposed adding 6 schools 3 from Texas, 2 Oklahoma and Colorado. It would have been wiser imo to add more Northern Schools plus the 3 Texas schools or at least attempt to add them. However as it stands now. The Big 12 schools that were "left out" are presently in a better fiscal predicament than the precarious position of the then prowling Pac 12.
05-22-2018 06:16 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(05-22-2018 06:16 AM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  I think that if the Pac 12 schools were located in the Central Time Zone... They'd be in trouble. The reason I don't think they are in any danger whatever of losing members except maybe Colorado is pure geography. Who in the heck would want to fly their softball squad to Pullman, Washington or Beaverton, Oregon. If you could just pull in tje Football teams that would change the game, the Cali schools, Washington, Oregon, ASU, & Colorado would then be of interest. However would it actually feel like a Conference?
The Pac 12s best chance imo was when they wanted to merge with the Big 12 a few years back. They proposed adding 6 schools 3 from Texas, 2 Oklahoma and Colorado. It would have been wiser imo to add more Northern Schools plus the 3 Texas schools or at least attempt to add them. However as it stands now. The Big 12 schools that were "left out" are presently in a better fiscal predicament than the precarious position of the then prowling Pac 12.

I think you might be on to something.

The only way I could see any major PAC teams leaving the conference would be if a deal was struck to limit sports to football and maybe basketball. You're right, I can't see Rutgers (for example) flying their baseball team to Beaverton for a 3 game set (and vice-versa) and being happy about it. There just isn't enough money involved to make it worth their while. Now, if you could get 4-6 teams to jump ship for the majors and then go "independent" for all other sports, it might work.
05-22-2018 07:37 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-22-2018 07:37 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(05-22-2018 06:16 AM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  I think that if the Pac 12 schools were located in the Central Time Zone... They'd be in trouble. The reason I don't think they are in any danger whatever of losing members except maybe Colorado is pure geography. Who in the heck would want to fly their softball squad to Pullman, Washington or Beaverton, Oregon. If you could just pull in tje Football teams that would change the game, the Cali schools, Washington, Oregon, ASU, & Colorado would then be of interest. However would it actually feel like a Conference?

I think you might be on to something.

The only way I could see any major PAC teams leaving the conference would be if a deal was struck to limit sports to football and maybe basketball. You're right, I can't see Rutgers (for example) flying their baseball team to Beaverton for a 3 game set (and vice-versa) and being happy about it. There just isn't enough money involved to make it worth their while. Now, if you could get 4-6 teams to jump ship for the majors and then go "independent" for all other sports, it might work.

Well if you take the PAC/B12 merger concept and if the move now was Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and either KState or Iowa State to take them to 18. Three divisions of 6 solves a lot of problems for everyone.

The PAC could essentially keep its current divisions and simply add a six team division to the East.

If the SEC and Big 10 could agree on this then both of our conferences would be better served by going after ACC product in 2035, or sooner if the ACCN isn't paying enough by 2025.

Virginia, North Carolina, Syracuse, and Notre Dame would give you guys the markets you want in the East and N.D. would have to join because they would have no where else to go for a sweetheart deal. Having the Irish earns the Big 10 top rate for advertising in all of the Northern cities where the Irish have been a back door in for advertisers and other networks.

The SEC could take Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Clemson and Florida State and make the same move to 18. For us that's two new markets and the two most SEC like football schools. That gives us leverage from South Carolina through Florida and over to Louisiana and Arkansas.

So the Big 10 might look like this:

Maryland, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia

Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue

Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin

You play 5 division games and two from each of the other two divisions with 1 permanent rival for a 10 game schedule. Which would be required in the 18 school PAC and the 18 school SEC.

T.C.U., Baylor, Kansas State/Iowa State, West Virginia, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Miami, and Louisville add Cincinnati, Houston, Connecticut, Central Florida, South Florida, Memphis and Tulane/or another to go to 18.

Boston College, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Louisville, Pittsburgh, West Virginia

Central Florida, Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, South Florida, Wake Forest

Baylor, Houston, Kansas State/Iowa State, Memphis, T.C.U., Tulane/or another.

So you take care of the left behinds by creating the 4th P Conference which can be called the ACC or Big 12. But the PAC/SEC/Big 10 get what they are looking for.
05-22-2018 11:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.