D2 call-up
Stick with 11
[Show Results]

What is Big South’s next move?
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
What is Big South’s next move?
They added Hampton and USC Upstate to go to 12 and divisions before Liberty’s departure.
05-16-2018 05:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: What is Big South’s next move?
Howard is the logical move, getting them a name-brand private school in D.C. and allowing Hampton to preserve one of its most important rivals. But given the mess of Hampton's departure from the MEAC, other schools looking to move might be hesitant right now. My guess is they hang back at 11 for a bit and see how things shake out. The MEAC schools and D2 callups will still be there.
05-16-2018 05:32 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
UNC-Pembroke needs a home for their football. They are Independent in D2. They do fit in the footprint of the Big South.
05-16-2018 06:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stugray2 Online
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Who wants to join the Big South except some HBCU?

"Hey come play in the same league with Presbyterian, Campbell, Highpoint, Radford, Winthrop, USC Upstate, Hampton and Gardner-Webb!"

That is a lot of stanking up.
05-16-2018 06:21 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2018 06:21 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Who wants to join the Big South except some HBCU?

"Hey come play in the same league with Presbyterian, Campbell, Highpoint, Radford, Winthrop, USC Upstate, Hampton and Gardner-Webb!"

That is a lot of stanking up.

USC Upstate and, before them, Campbell left the A-Sun for them. It's like a low-major South Atlantic version of the MAC — not especially sexy but it has a reasonable footprint and, with Liberty gone, most of the schools are about the same size.

I don't see anyone especially wanting to join the Big South outside of a MEAC school or D2 callup, but they serve their purpose.
05-16-2018 06:29 PM
Stugray2 Online
Heisman

Upstate move may come to be seen as the UMKC move of the South.
05-16-2018 06:30 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2018 06:09 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  UNC-Pembroke needs a home for their football. They are Independent in D2. They do fit in the footprint of the Big South.

Highly unlikely. But if Chowan or Lincoln leave the CIAA, UNC-P would be a reasonable football-only add.
05-16-2018 06:33 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2018 06:30 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Upstate move may come to be seen as the UMKC move of the South.

Upstate (and GTS can step in here to correct/clarify) wanted a conference with regional schools, and the Virginia/Carolinas footprint of the Big South beats the Florida/Georgia (with Nashville and New Jersey outliers) footprint of the A-Sun. Even if history remembers the A-Sun as the stronger of the two (and who saw THAT coming when we were all convinced that the A-Sun was on death's door not that long ago?), I think moving to the Big South was the proper course of action for that school.
05-16-2018 06:37 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
If Florida A&M & Bethune-Cookman join 4 Florida schools for 10 in ASun (who dumps NJIT) and Big South nabs Howard, I wonder if an 8-member MEAC extends Chicago St an invite. Love the WAC, but the MEAC would cut expenses, be easier to win, and probably offer permanent membership.
05-16-2018 06:57 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2018 06:57 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  If Florida A&M & Bethune-Cookman join 4 Florida schools for 10 in ASun (who dumps NJIT) and Big South nabs Howard, I wonder if an 8-member MEAC extends Chicago St an invite. Love the WAC, but the MEAC would cut expenses, be easier to win, and probably offer permanent membership.

Add them and Virginia State from the CIAA to get back to 10 and also get a second Virginia school. Not sure if VSU has any D1 ambitions, but they've been pretty good in football and basketball of late and they built a D1-quality arena a year or two ago.
05-16-2018 07:07 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
If this had been a few years ago I would have said SC State. Still might happen in a few years if they get things turned around.
05-16-2018 07:18 PM
Advertisement

DCAbloob Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: DC area schools
(05-16-2018 05:32 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Howard is the logical move, getting them a name-brand private school in D.C. and allowing Hampton to preserve one of its most important rivals. But given the mess of Hampton's departure from the MEAC, other schools looking to move might be hesitant right now. My guess is they hang back at 11 for a bit and see how things shake out. The MEAC schools and D2 callups will still be there.

Even if Howard wanted to leave the MEAC, I'm not sure it would go with the Big South just to reunite with Hampton. I could see the Bison look north instead to the NEC or perhaps even the Patriot League.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2018 07:51 PM by DCAbloob.)
05-16-2018 07:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2018 07:50 PM)DCAbloob Wrote:  
(05-16-2018 05:32 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Howard is the logical move, getting them a name-brand private school in D.C. and allowing Hampton to preserve one of its most important rivals. But given the mess of Hampton's departure from the MEAC, other schools looking to move might be hesitant right now. My guess is they hang back at 11 for a bit and see how things shake out. The MEAC schools and D2 callups will still be there.

Even if Howard wanted to leave the MEAC, I'm not sure it would go with the Big South just to reunite with Hampton. I could see the Bison look north instead to the NEC or perhaps even the Patriot League.

Perhaps, but both are sitting at 10 so they're not in an urgent need to expand unless they want to get to 12, and unless NJIT gets the call, finding that 12th might be tricky (though I supposed Delaware State would also fit the NEC footprint).
05-16-2018 07:57 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Geographically speaking one of the northern MEAC schools would be the best fit. Better be prepared to instantly give them a full conference schedule so they don't in cure the wrath that Hampton faced.

Kennesaw St is probably the best move but who knows, they may have some scheme worked out with Liberty to make the A-Sun a FBS tweener conference.
05-16-2018 08:49 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
As said on another thread, Lincoln Memorial wants DI badly.
05-17-2018 08:43 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(05-16-2018 06:33 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(05-16-2018 06:09 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  UNC-Pembroke needs a home for their football. They are Independent in D2. They do fit in the footprint of the Big South.

Highly unlikely. But if Chowan or Lincoln leave the CIAA, UNC-P would be a reasonable football-only add.

The state seems to be very kind to the school if they have a budget of $1.2 billion a year. The enrollment is growing quickly while some other state schools like public HBCUs are losing students. Building a $30 million dollar business school. Building a $29 million dollar health center (medical school in the future?) Pembroke is more or less a historical Native American university since Pembroke is the seat of the Lumbee Native American tribe that is recognized by the US government without a reservation. UNC-Pembroke have catered to mainly Native Americans until recent years. Moving them to D1 will make them the first Native American type of University to the highest level. I bet the Haskill players transfered to UNC-Pembroke after Haskill dropped football? Haskill was the last Native American 4 year college that had football.
05-17-2018 09:50 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Big South needs football schools so any D2 with football would be considered.
05-17-2018 10:17 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(05-17-2018 10:17 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Big South needs football schools so any D2 with football would be considered.

Seen some posts in the past about Wingate. Their main campus is east of Charlotte, but they also have grad campuses near Charlotte and near Ashville.
05-18-2018 11:17 AM
Stugray2 Online
Heisman

The Big South doesn't need anymore schools. They have 11, and Football will expand to 8 with North Alabama and Hampton joining in 2019
05-18-2018 11:52 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-18-2018 11:52 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  The Big South doesn't need anymore schools. They have 11, and Football will expand to 8 with North Alabama and Hampton joining in 2019

Plus if any of the ASun non-scholarship football schools add football, they get automatic admittance into the Big South. And if the ASun adds a school with football scholarship, they too would get into the Big South for that sport. So they're in surprisingly good shape, even if High Point or someone else leaves.
05-18-2018 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.