Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tramel: Big 13 should add two from the West; BYU & Boise State
Bookmark and Share
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
Tramel: Big 13 should add two from the West; BYU & Boise State
With all this talk of Arizona and Arizona State ripe for the picking while the PAC 12 falls behind, Berry Tramel goes all G5 on us a couple of summers after the Big 12 reviewed and interviewed two dozen or so schools.

https://newsok.com/article/5438621/trame...-additions
05-19-2018 07:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Tramel: Big 13 should add two from the West; BYU & Boise State
(05-19-2018 07:25 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  With all this talk of Arizona and Arizona State ripe for the picking while the PAC 12 falls behind, Berry Tramel goes all G5 on us a couple of summers after the Big 12 reviewed and interviewed two dozen or so schools.

Tramel is an idiot whose lost his connections with Boren gone. Oklahoma won't go for it. Texas won't go for it. And the networks won't go for it either.

BTW Murrdcu, the article is from 2015. Not exactly current!
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2018 07:42 PM by JRsec.)
05-19-2018 07:41 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
(05-19-2018 07:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-19-2018 07:25 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  With all this talk of Arizona and Arizona State ripe for the picking while the PAC 12 falls behind, Berry Tramel goes all G5 on us a couple of summers after the Big 12 reviewed and interviewed two dozen or so schools.

Tramel is an idiot whose lost his connections with Boren gone. Oklahoma won't go for it. Texas won't go for it. And the networks won't go for it either.

Tramel has overlooked or has continually ignored one of the reasons the B12 rejected BYU a couple of years ago. The BYU Honor Code is controversial on the LGBT rights matter, and student governance bodies, and other sources such as faculty, at ISU, KSU, and Texas (perhaps others) went on record opposing BYU's admission to the B12.
Is BYU willing to compromise on Sunday play and language in their honor code? No. And no P5.
Not impressed with Tramel's pitch. Not the first time.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2018 12:58 PM by OdinFrigg.)
05-21-2018 11:23 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-21-2018 11:23 AM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  

Tramel has overlooked or has continually ignored one of the reasons the B12 rejected BYU a couple of years ago. The BYU Honor Code is contoversial on the LGBT rights matter, and student governance bodies, and other sources such as faculty, at ISU, KSU, and Texas (perhaps others) went on record opposing BYU's admission to the B12.
Is BYU willing to compromise on Sunday play and language in their honor code? No. And no P5.
Not impressed with Tramel's pitch. Not the first time.

I agree on the obstacles for B.Y.U. I also don't see a long range positive trajectory for their future. I don't see them sinking either. I think B.Y.U. will be growth neutral for sometime to come. But growth neutrality in a period of consistent inflation will provide it's own economic decline. So a school that was on the cusp of being P5 financially will probably become a solid G5 in the years ahead.

Tramel has consistently been a mouthpiece for Boren's public view and since Boren was quite popular at OU that was a safe place to be. Gallogly isn't going to function as a publicity seeking politician. He will function more as a CEO. He won't see the necessity for a Tramel moving forward but will want to control the public image of the school through official press releases so that the speculation about what the school will or won't do with regards to academics, athletics, or budgeting are precise and in step with what he and the BOR or faculty have agreed upon and want to pursue. Therefore the Tramel's of the world will have the same story and same take as the rest of the beat writers.

Gallogly's presence will also mean that things will settle down at OU in general and that if and when they move it will be a realistic action designed to improve the overall economic health of the school weighing all needs and factors and less because of old political ties and dreams of the president himself.
05-21-2018 12:00 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
The Big 12 would be wise to aggressively expand, but UT and OU don't want to and thus it won't happen.
05-21-2018 12:23 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(05-21-2018 12:23 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  The Big 12 would be wise to aggressively expand, but UT and OU don't want to and thus it won't happen.

If Texas/OU are done with the Big 12 no matter what, I agree. If they are willing to work to save it, the Arizona/St combo might be realistic at some point if the PAC continues to struggle. Getting into the Phoenix market should be enough to add a couple million to the Big 12 pockets.

I honestly do wonder which would be worth more: the current PAC + the Texahoma 4 (or just OK/State or just Texas/Tech) or the current Big 12 with the Arizona schools (plus an extension of the grant of rights into the mid-40s). I'm guessing that with all 4 of the Texahoma schools it would be the PAC, but with just 2 of them, I really don't know.

If the Big 12 wants to go 14 after that, then its back to the old G5 candidates. Cincy, USF/UCF, Memphis, CSU, maybe SDSU or UNLV?
05-22-2018 12:59 PM
Advertisement

Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(05-21-2018 12:23 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  The Big 12 would be wise to aggressively expand, but UT and OU don't want to and thus it won't happen.

Why would they be wise to aggressively expand to dilute revenues or give them a lack of flexibility in the future? Unless some regional partner like Arkansas, Nebraska, A&M or Missouri even came back why? I know that's not being looked at so why talk about aggressive expansion with G5 schools?

It has to be very good expansion or its not worth diluting the % of games Texas & OU are involved in for the conference. Not to mention the dilution of CFP, bowls(the Sugar Bowl deal being the large reason here), & CCG revenue.

The league has remained competitive revenue wise with the B1G & SEC and ahead of the ACC & PAC since the debacle in 2010.
05-22-2018 02:02 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(05-22-2018 02:02 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  

Why would they be wise to aggressively expand to dilute revenues or give them a lack of flexibility in the future? Unless some regional partner like Arkansas, Nebraska, A&M or Missouri even came back why? I know that's not being looked at so why talk about aggressive expansion with G5 schools?

It has to be very good expansion or its not worth diluting the % of games Texas & OU are involved in for the conference. Not to mention the dilution of CFP, bowls(the Sugar Bowl deal being the large reason here), & CCG revenue.

The league has remained competitive revenue wise with the B1G & SEC and ahead of the ACC & PAC since the debacle in 2010.

10 schools wouldn't be such a big deal if it was spread out like the old Big Ten or the SEC but territoriality, they are extremely limited with only 4 states.

None of those four schools are likely to come back. Maybe Arizona and Arizona St could, but I also seriously doubt that because of long term Californian migration to that state.

The Big 12 should make a decision on where it wants to expand, east or west, and stick with it. A rising tide will lift all boats and I don't think expansion will seriously harm the bottom line.
05-23-2018 12:21 PM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(05-23-2018 12:21 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(05-22-2018 02:02 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  

10 schools wouldn't be such a big deal if it was spread out like the old Big Ten or the SEC but territoriality, they are extremely limited with only 4 states.

None of those four schools are likely to come back. Maybe Arizona and Arizona St could, but I also seriously doubt that because of long term Californian migration to that state.

The Big 12 should make a decision on where it wants to expand, east or west, and stick with it. A rising tide will lift all boats and I don't think expansion will seriously harm the bottom line.

Actually, its 5 state. The networks seemed to the tell the B12 don't do it, maybe they won't care as much at the next negotiation but we will have to see.
05-23-2018 12:37 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(05-23-2018 12:37 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  Actually, its 5 state. The networks seemed to the tell the B12 don't do it, maybe they won't care as much at the next negotiation but we will have to see.

I always forget West Virginia.

But seriously, I don't think the Big 12 could go wrong with either of these groups:

Boise
BYU
Colorado St
UNM

or UCF
USF
Cincinnati
Memphis/Houston

Both expand the footprint and market dramatically. Going East is the surest bet, with Big 12 money and matchups I see USF and UCF becoming powerhouses within a few years with their enormous undergraduate numbers and talent bases.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2018 01:03 PM by Gamecock.)
05-23-2018 01:02 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

Well dangit. Was so happy to see an expansion article tweted that I didn’t even both to look are those details.

It’s been quite this summer.
05-23-2018 07:05 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-23-2018 07:05 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Well dangit. Was so happy to see an expansion article tweted that I didn’t even both to look are those details.

That's okay. I have to think a lid has been clamped on talk because things are going on behind the scenes. But it is why I started the thread about "Why we won't hear anything about Realignment this next time".
05-23-2018 07:53 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
(05-23-2018 07:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

That's okay. I have to think a lid has been clamped on talk because things are going on behind the scenes. But it is why I started the thread about "Why we won't hear anything about Realignment this next time".
Early, but there will be the "run this up the flagpole" guy. Didn't Barry Alvarez sort of did this some years back in the Big 10?

The BIG could do this stuff because they acted together with a Commissioner that had it under control. The SEC was straight-up with expansion prospects when dialogue go serious.
The Big 12 has been an odd duck in this. Bowlsy talks unity; but it is apparent several of their schools are anticipating departures around 23/24. Exploring expansion and holding a conference together while a few having wandering eyes will be a challenge.
05-23-2018 09:58 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-23-2018 09:58 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  

Early, but there will be the "run this up the flagpole" guy. Didn't Barry Alvarez sort of did this some years back in the Big 10?

The BIG could do this stuff because they acted together with a Commissioner that had it under control. The SEC was straight-up with expansion prospects when dialogue go serious.
The Big 12 has been an odd duck in this. Bowlsy talks unity; but it is apparent several of their schools are anticipating departures around 23/24. Exploring expansion and holding a conference together while a few having wandering eyes will be a challenge.

Barry did talk about expansion being possible but didn't really talk specifics. Clay Travis was used to float some trial balloons for the SEC as was Mr. SEC back in 2010-2.

I don't think you will hear much at all this time. First, I think the networks don't want any leaks because things aren't just between ESPN & FOX and the conferences anymore. I think ESPN will try to work out a way to hold onto Texas first. They'll have to make guarantees about possible travel companions and try to work that out. It is the only option where I see the ACC having a shot at Texas.

I think Oklahoma will be dealt with privately as well. If they insist on a travel mate and that mate is OSU then I think the SEC will be the likely landing spot.

I doubt Bowlsby is even brought into the loop. For one thing the terms of the GOR with regards to holding discussions about movement incurring a penalty will negate his knowing. And the wiggle room there is that Texas isn't forbidden (or OU for that matter) from talking to a network about their valuation. There's your loophole. What they are forbidden to do is to talk to another conference about joining.

So ESPN or FOX can work out any number of scenarios while maintaining confidential updates with the Big 10 or SEC. Right now neither really represents the PAC since both only lease rights there.

If Texas talks to Scott then they are in violation of their own GOR.

So having absolutely no talk at all permits ESPN or FOX to float concepts until a potential winner is agreed upon. And since it is in the interest of either/or both networks to keep that strictly off the record there will be no trial balloons and no Barry to alert the fan base with cryptic leaks.

If 18 is not a problem I could see the ACC offering Texas and all three of the other Texas P5 schools. I could see the SEC offering the pair of Oklahoma's and possibly even Kansas and West Virginia. Nothing would be said until the move hit the crawler.

The thing to look for there is a called meeting of the Big 12 where 8 votes of existing members prior to the announcement of moves could dissolve the Big 12, end the GOR, and be followed shortly thereafter by the announced moves.

If 16 is some hard and fast number after all then it would be possible to revisit the rumored plan of 2010. Texas, and two mates head to the ACC with N.D. committing totally. Virginia Tech and another ACC school are given permission by the ACC to move without penalty to the SEC. That could be a second Florida school (Miami) perhaps and Oklahoma and Kansas head to the Big 10.

All three conferences are pleased.

Texas and two buddies gives the ACC the branding and football gravitas they need to secure a larger payout and with N.D. all in they get it.

The SEC with another true AAU candidate in Miami gets a second Florida school and one actually located in South Florida. Virginia Tech strengthens the SEC North and adds a large market. The ACC doesn't break up the Research Triangle (a supposed sticking point in 2010), doesn't give up anything but market duplicates. And the Big 10 gets a big football boost from the Sooners. If Miami balks I don't think F.S.U. would this time around, although ESPN would probably prefer the Noles stay to assist that content value of the ACC and to enhance the value of games with Notre Dame and Texas.

The easier plan to pull off would be the expansion to 18 by both the ACC and SEC. ESPN would essentially have all it wanted out of the Big 12 and it can all be done in house without horse trading. And all that would need transpire to make it work would be money from ESPN.

Kansas State and Iowa State would be looking for a new home. But with Texas and Oklahoma satisfied and Kansas and West Virginia on board there wouldn't be much the other two could do about it. If something like that is worked out the announcement of it could come as early as the end of this next football season with play in the new Conference home to start in September of 2019 or 20 at the latest. Or in other words in plenty of time to help the ACCN's opening and to spruce up the SEC's contract too. New payouts would be set and contracts extended.

Anyway that's the opportunity before ESPN if they wish to avoid open bidding on the Big 12 and an enhanced Big 10 in 2024.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2018 11:10 PM by JRsec.)
05-23-2018 10:57 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(05-23-2018 10:57 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-19-2018 07:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Tramel is an idiot whose lost his connections with Boren gone. Oklahoma won't go for it. Texas won't go for it. And the networks won't go for it either.

Barry did talk about expansion being possible but didn't really talk specifics. Clay Travis was used to float some trial balloons for the SEC as was Mr. SEC back in 2010-2.

I don't think you will hear much at all this time. First, I think the networks don't want any leaks because things aren't just between ESPN & FOX and the conferences anymore. I think ESPN will try to work out a way to hold onto Texas first. They'll have to make guarantees about possible travel companions and try to work that out. It is the only option where I see the ACC having a shot at Texas.

I think Oklahoma will be dealt with privately as well. If they insist on a travel mate and that mate is OSU then I think the SEC will be the likely landing spot.

I doubt Bowlsby is even brought into the loop. For one thing the terms of the GOR with regards to holding discussions about movement incurring a penalty will negate his knowing. And the wiggle room there is that Texas isn't forbidden (or OU for that matter) from talking to a network about their valuation. There's your loophole. What they are forbidden to do is to talk to another conference about joining.

So ESPN or FOX can work out any number of scenarios while maintaining confidential updates with the Big 10 or SEC. Right now neither really represents the PAC since both only lease rights there.

So having absolutely no talk at all permits ESPN or FOX to float concepts until a potential winner is agreed upon. And since it is in the interest of either/or both networks to keep that strictly off the record there will be no trial balloons and no Barry to alert the fan base with cryptic leaks.

If 18 is not a problem I could see the ACC offering Texas and all three of the other Texas P5 schools. I could see the SEC offering the pair of Oklahoma's and possibly even Kansas and West Virginia. Nothing would be said until the move hit the crawler.

The thing to look for there is a called meeting of the Big 12 where 8 votes of existing members prior to the announcement of moves could dissolve the Big 12, end the GOR, and be followed shortly thereafter by the announced moves.

If 16 is some hard and fast number after all then it would be possible to revisit the rumored plan of 2010. Texas, and two mates head to the ACC with N.D. committing totally. Virginia Tech and another ACC school are given permission by the ACC to move without penalty to the SEC. That could be a second Florida school (Miami) perhaps and Oklahoma and Kansas head to the Big 10.

Texas and two buddies gives the ACC the branding and football gravitas they need to secure a larger payout and with N.D. all in they get it.

The SEC with another true AAU candidate in Miami gets a second Florida school and one actually located in South Florida. Virginia Tech strengthens the SEC North and adds a large market. The ACC doesn't break up the Research Triangle (a supposed sticking point in 2010), doesn't give up anything but market duplicates. And the Big 10 gets a big football boost from the Sooners. If Miami balks I don't think F.S.U. would this time around, although ESPN would probably prefer the Noles stay to assist that content value of the ACC and to enhance the value of games with Notre Dame and Texas.

The easier plan to pull off would be the expansion to 18 by both the ACC and SEC. ESPN would essentially have all it wanted out of the Big 12 and it can all be done in house without horse trading. And all that would need transpire to make it work would be money from ESPN.

Kansas State and Iowa State would be looking for a new home. But with Texas and Oklahoma satisfied and Kansas and West Virginia on board there wouldn't be much the other two could do about it. If something like that is worked out the announcement of it could come as early as the end of this next football season with play in the new Conference home to start in September of 2019 or 20 at the latest. Or in other words in plenty of time to help the ACCN's opening and to spruce up the SEC's contract too. New payouts would be set and contracts extended.

Anyway that's the opportunity before ESPN if they wish to avoid open bidding on the Big 12 and an enhanced Big 10 in 2024.

OU, OSU, KU and WVU to the SEC would be a good realistic haul. Moving the four Texas schools to the ACC would probably be the most profitable move for that group if OU does leave the Big 12.

The B1G could still go shopping out west and snag some financially strapped PAC-12 schools like they did when they took Maryland who were terminating athletic sports just to keep the athletic budget somewhat manageable in the red.

Obviously and argument could be made to allow a champions only playoff model with these larger conference sizes. Give the 18 member ACC, Big Ten and SEC automatic bids into the 4 team CFP. To determine that fourth spot, let the remaining PAC members, MWC and AAC play their championship games; The committee decides Which two winners will face off against one another to play for that last playoff spot.

So three conferences get four team playoff conference tournaments while the other P5 and G5 schools get an honest shot at a national title.
05-24-2018 01:23 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(05-19-2018 07:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Tramel is an idiot whose lost his connections with Boren gone. Oklahoma won't go for it. Texas won't go for it. And the networks won't go for it either.

Given today's news about Comcast, I would bet on NBC being a major bidder for rights in the not too distant future.

If they're willing to drop that kind of cash on Fox's production end then I think they're probably interested in more than movie studios and streaming capacities.

NBCSN has actually been a fairly solid success for them. The EPL and NHL have carried their coverage on cable. They've got the NFL Sunday Night game along with Notre Dame football on the broadcast network...I think they show a good many NHL games there as well. Really, they've got a pretty good foundation. They dabble in some other things.

There was also this news that's gone mostly unnoticed: Comcast and Netflix expand partnership

I don't think a Comcast/Netflix alliance should be underestimated if for no other reason than Netflix has a ton of cash they could start spending on sports rights if they really wanted. In my opinion, Comcast already has a really strong product in its cable and internet infrastructure even though people do complain about them a good bit. Throw in a very popular streaming service and if you can integrate content to a greater degree then you have a really strong player in the marketplace.

I could see NBC making a really nice offer for the Big 12 and forcing Texas and Oklahoma to say 'no.' The league might very well say 'no,' but I don't think Comcast/NBC has anything to lose in propositions like that.
05-24-2018 01:25 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-24-2018 01:25 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(05-23-2018 07:05 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Well dangit. Was so happy to see an expansion article tweted that I didn’t even both to look are those details.

Given today's news about Comcast, I would bet on NBC being a major bidder for rights in the not too distant future.

If they're willing to drop that kind of cash on Fox's production end then I think they're probably interested in more than movie studios and streaming capacities.

NBCSN has actually been a fairly solid success for them. The EPL and NHL have carried their coverage on cable. They've got the NFL Sunday Night game along with Notre Dame football on the broadcast network...I think they show a good many NHL games there as well. Really, they've got a pretty good foundation. They dabble in some other things.

There was also this news that's gone mostly unnoticed: Comcast and Netflix expand partnership

I don't think a Comcast/Netflix alliance should be underestimated if for no other reason than Netflix has a ton of cash they could start spending on sports rights if they really wanted. In my opinion, Comcast already has a really strong product in its cable and internet infrastructure even though people do complain about them a good bit. Throw in a very popular streaming service and if you can integrate content to a greater degree then you have a really strong player in the marketplace.

I could see NBC making a really nice offer for the Big 12 and forcing Texas and Oklahoma to say 'no.' The league might very well say 'no,' but I don't think Comcast/NBC has anything to lose in propositions like that.

Disney wants the rights to the first Star Wars in a really big way. Disney might match the offer in stock. We'll see.
05-24-2018 02:01 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(05-24-2018 01:23 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(05-23-2018 07:05 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Well dangit. Was so happy to see an expansion article tweted that I didn’t even both to look are those details.

OU, OSU, KU and WVU to the SEC would be a good realistic haul. Moving the four Texas schools to the ACC would probably be the most profitable move for that group if OU does leave the Big 12.

The B1G could still go shopping out west and snag some financially strapped PAC-12 schools like they did when they took Maryland who were terminating athletic sports just to keep the athletic budget somewhat manageable in the red.

Obviously and argument could be made to allow a champions only playoff model with these larger conference sizes. Give the 18 member ACC, Big Ten and SEC automatic bids into the 4 team CFP. To determine that fourth spot, let the remaining PAC members, MWC and AAC play their championship games; The committee decides Which two winners will face off against one another to play for that last playoff spot.

So three conferences get four team playoff conference tournaments while the other P5 and G5 schools get an honest shot at a national title.

I think those 4 would be pretty solid for us.

Something in the back of my mind tells me that people are batting around the number 20 though.

Let me theorize on this...

If ESPN wants to finish off the Big 12 in one fell swoop then they're obviously going to be spending some money doing it. They might even overpay for it a little...

They just spent $1.5 billion over 5 years on the UFC with a significant portion of that content going directly to ESPN+. I think we can see what ESPN's strategy is there. ESPN is going to want some strong college content on ESPN+ in the long run. Some of these Big 12 teams provide the perfect fodder for that even with the creation of an ACC Network to take up more content for the linear networks.

It's sort of the same theory on why you create a conference network in the first place. You want a large number of markets interested in a product so you take a little bit from here and a little bit from there to make it work. Not everyone in your given footprint is going to watch any and every game, but they'll make sure they purchase the product so they can have access to their favorite teams. As it stands today, ESPN+ lacks games from major conferences in the major sports. The easiest way to fix that without taking away vital content from the linear networks is to expand the major conferences with more watchable but not necessarily 'can't miss' content.

Most of your 'can't miss' content is best utilized on linear networks where distribution is highest and costs are greater to maintain. With the advent of ESPN+ though, you can supplement your bottom line by mixing and matching content in a manner similar to how you'd sell a conference network. So it actually is an overall benefit for ESPN to pay for conference expansion as long as they get a good portion of the new content on ESPN+.

I think streaming isn't so much about getting the biggest and best brands on your platform as much as it is about touching all your bases. You're going to want a big game on there every now and then to boost sales, but a lot of what's going to be on ESPN+ is the far less valuable games from minor conferences.

So all ESPN really has to do is create enough content with the SEC or ACC brand attached to it and you start to cover your bases more effectively even if all the biggest games aren't on there. Add enough teams to either league so that you've got a couple of SEC or ACC games of the week and it's a much easier sell to fans of either league. This way, you don't have to remove content from your linear networks to make the sale. You could keep a revolving door on which teams are the ones featured so that each team in either league gets at least one appearance on the platform...boom, you've just created a host of new subscriptions.

I think 20 works for both leagues for a lot of reasons. Giving Notre Dame the space to go all in is one of them...

For the ACC, I would add Texas, Baylor, TCU, Houston, West Virginia, and Notre Dame.

For the SEC, I would add Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State, and South Florida

Kansas State would be left out in this scenario, but ESPN probably gets the rights to the American which is where they'd end up most likely.

For the ACC, they would get Texas and an accompanying division that would not be too unreadable as far as travel goes. Notre Dame goes full and West Virginia helps to multiply interest within their region.

For the SEC, they get some solid brands, a little more penetration in TX and a little more penetration in FL without the ACC having to give up anything in that regard. Long term, I think USF is more valuable than most of those Big 12 schools anyway so why not...
05-24-2018 02:40 AM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(05-24-2018 01:23 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  

I like the play in idea, but I'd go with 6. All four P4 and then the top 2 G5 (probably AAC vs. MWC most years).

Either have the G5 play each other and the P5 play each other or have a rotating schedule PAC vs. MWC / AAC vs. ACC then rotate.
05-24-2018 07:05 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
I believe it's just not in OU or UTs interest to do anything that commits them to the B12 long term or alters its current structure. This is their trial period to see if this new B12 is what they want: the easiest path to the playoff pretty much every year and you don't alter an experiment in the middle of it.

So far it's not worked out at all for UT and only partly for OU. They've made the playoff but not consistently and both times been embarrassed against real, non-B12 defenses.

But even if they both go on a run and win several titles apiece before the B12 contract expires it's still not in their interest to commit to the B12. It's better for them to wait till the 11th hour when the schools that have no other options are panicking and willing to give them concessions like uneven revenue distributions and letting UT fanboys ref all conferences game. They'll have no choice but to give in.
05-24-2018 09:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.