Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can American compete with Big East for Basketball?
AGuyIn_Water Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Can American compete with Big East for Basketball?
When is the opening window for American’s media negotiation with ESPN?

Can we compete with a pure Basketball conference Big East?

I might be the wild one but we can!
05-20-2018 09:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Can American compete with Big East for Basketball?
You need UConn, Memphis and Cincy to all get back in the top 25. Temple, Houston, SMU, and WSU helps too.

You basically need 3-4 teams hanging around the Top 25 to be taken seriously as a power league.

UConn, Cincy and Memphis are your biggest BB brands IMHO. You got to ride your brands.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2018 10:11 PM by TexanMark.)
05-20-2018 10:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(05-20-2018 10:07 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  You need UConn, Memphis and Cincy to all get back in the top 25. Temple, Houston, SMU, and WSU helps too.

You basically need 3-4 teams hanging around the Top 25 to be taken seriously as a power league.

UConn, Cincy and Memphis are your biggest BB brands IMHO. You got to ride your brands.

I agree with you on this. I've been saying that Memphis and UCONN going through a down cycle the past few years (mostly due to bad coaching hires) has been the main issue perception wise. It's more important that Cincy,Memphis and UCONN are winning just like it's better for the big12 that Texas and OKLAHOMA are winning in football than say Baylor or Kstate. In your scenario the AAC would definitely remove all doubts about our bball status. Hopefully the recent coaching changes has fixed this situation 04-cheers
05-21-2018 04:07 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Football is what moves the TV needle. If basketball was so important for the TV guys, UConn and Memphis would have been taken in expansion.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2018 03:59 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
05-21-2018 06:12 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(05-21-2018 06:12 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Football is what moves the TV needle. If basketball was so important to for the TV guys, UConn and Memphis would have been taken in expansion.

If football was so important for the TV guys, UCF would have been taken in expansion.

There's a lot more to expansion than just performance on the field/court.
05-21-2018 06:19 AM
Newton card Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ncaa
Expansion, or lack of, is more about protecting schools and conference powers. The sec is a good example, the same 3 or 4 schools win every year, the other 10 or so compete for status quo and a check, with a occasional run about every 10 years. It’s big business, it’s how they want it.. never gonna change, ucf, Memphis Houston bloodying the nose of Alabama or LSU? How dare you . The system is flawed, always will be.
05-21-2018 07:15 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
This is a good BB conf, and could be a very good one.
05-21-2018 07:41 AM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

(05-21-2018 07:41 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  This is a good BB conf, and could be a very good one.

Yes it is. We never catch a break from the talking heads whom all know that the AAC has been laser focused on getting our football teams up to speed within a very small window of time before the next contract is due(football does drive the money train), but know it seems like the ball side is about to take a substantial step forward as well04-cheers
05-21-2018 09:00 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
First of all, the "Big East" is not the Big East. They're the C7. The real Big East is dead.

Second, take away Villanova and what are they?

Zavier is going to fade away now that Mack has taken his "recruiting" skills along with him in his promotion to school 6 in the All Cheaters Conference.

This aint 1985. Georgetown-St Johns is roughly the same as Temple- UCF, if not less.

So yeah, I think we can "compete" with the C7 pretty well.
05-21-2018 09:35 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-20-2018 10:07 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  You need UConn, Memphis and Cincy to all get back in the top 25. Temple, Houston, SMU, and WSU helps too.

THIS. It’s funny, the hard part for the AAC being a basketball success I thought would be creating a strong solid upper middle class of teams that would win enough OOC games to create a solid RPI for UConn, Memphis, Cinci, and Temple. Well, that upper middle class core formed quite quicklly.

SMU hired Larry Brown and became formidable quick. UH rose back to NCAA bid quality with Sampson. Wichita was added to the AAC roster. Tulsa continued fielding dangerous teams. UCF would have been a contender this year had it not been for injuries. Even hapless Tulane is becoming a tough out. The only two weak teams in the league now at last have hope as new coaches arrive this year.

If UConn, Memphis, and Temple can return to form—the league is now ready to provide them with a more than adequate level of competition to not only rise high in the polls—-but to test them in a way that can create teams that are ready to make long tournament runs. I see no reason why this league can’t often land 5-7 bids most years like the Big East. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2018 09:55 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-21-2018 09:54 AM
justinhub2003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(05-21-2018 09:35 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  First of all, the "Big East" is not the Big East. They're the C7. The real Big East is dead.

Zavier is going to fade away now that Mack has taken his "recruiting" skills along with him in his promotion to school 6 in the All Cheaters Conference.

This aint 1985. Georgetown-St Johns is roughly the same as Temple- UCF, if not less.

I reallly hope your right about Xavier but the reality is; Travis Steele was Mack's best recruiter. When it comes to recruiting. its mack at Louisville who is going to have to adjust to life with out Steele. Not the other way around.

That said, Mack is a great coach on the court, so if Xavier faulters, its going to be because of bad coaching, not bad recruiting. My Guess is that Xavier will still out recruit every team in the AAC
05-21-2018 09:56 AM
Advertisement

mike012779 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
I agree besides Villanova there isn't much there. If Villanova ever started D1 football again and was offered a spot in the AAC, I think they would take it. With the hopes of joining the ACC in the future someday. With Villanova in the AAC we would be a top 3 basketball conference currently.
05-21-2018 09:56 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
Absolutely... need one of the top teams to jump from ncaa tournament regular, to elite, protected seed regular. Need UConn/Memphis/Temple to be tournament type teams almost every year... Need the USF/ECU/Tulane bottom of the league to be top 100-150 RPI type teams at the worst.
05-21-2018 10:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

(05-21-2018 09:56 AM)justinhub2003 Wrote:  
(05-21-2018 09:35 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  First of all, the "Big East" is not the Big East. They're the C7. The real Big East is dead.

I reallly hope your right about Xavier but the reality is; Travis Steele was Mack's best recruiter. When it comes to recruiting. its mack at Louisville who is going to have to adjust to life with out Steele. Not the other way around.

That said, Mack is a great coach on the court, so if Xavier faulters, its going to be because of bad coaching, not bad recruiting. My Guess is that Xavier will still out recruit every team in the AAC

I don't see Xavier out recruiting UCONN and definitely not Memphis going forward. Memphis naturally recruits at least top 25 classes even in off years 07-coffee3
05-21-2018 10:27 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Mountain West had the #1 RPI conference in the country in 2012-2013 and 5 NCAA bids out of 9 teams in their conference that year. Certainly anything is possible.

Granted that was before Utah St (109 RPI) and San Jose St(261 RPI but most of their wins were OOC) went to the MWC but it would have still been a banner year.

It was a fluke but if they can have a year like that, the AAC can put together a string of several years where we are as good as the Big East or some of the P5's I think if ECU and USF get their **** together.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2018 10:34 AM by StillJonesing.)
05-21-2018 10:33 AM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

(05-21-2018 09:56 AM)mike012779 Wrote:  I agree besides Villanova there isn't much there. If Villanova ever started D1 football again and was offered a spot in the AAC, I think they would take it. With the hopes of joining the ACC in the future someday. With Villanova in the AAC we would be a top 3 basketball conference currently.

You're correct. The NBE has basically been Nova show, yet the talking heads couldn't wait to slobber all over the NBE and declare them as a power but has the rest of the league actually done much more than the AAC? Even when we won the NCAA it was as if it didn't happen as far as the talking heads were concerned and let's not forget a top25 SMU that was excluded from the tournament and all of the bad seeds we were given, which I definitely feel had an intentionally negative impact on our ability to make deep tournament runs
05-21-2018 10:39 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(05-21-2018 10:39 AM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  
(05-21-2018 09:56 AM)mike012779 Wrote:  I agree besides Villanova there isn't much there. If Villanova ever started D1 football again and was offered a spot in the AAC, I think they would take it. With the hopes of joining the ACC in the future someday. With Villanova in the AAC we would be a top 3 basketball conference currently.

You're correct. The NBE has basically been Nova show, yet the talking heads couldn't wait to slobber all over the NBE and declare them as a power but has the rest of the league actually done much more than the AAC? Even when we won the NCAA it was as if it didn't happen as far as the talking heads were concerned and let's not forget a top25 SMU that was excluded from the tournament and all of the bad seeds we were given, which I definitely feel had an intentionally negative impact on our ability to make deep tournament runs

Conference Kenpom by Season
2018 - NBE 3, AAC 7
2017 - NBE 3, AAC 7
2016 - NBE 3, AAC 7
2015 - NBE 2, AAC 9
2014 - NBE 5, AAC 7

Nova is a part of that. The weak bottom of the AAC is another part of that. The middle of the leagues are fairly similar. Bottom line is the NBE has been a better overall league. It has the elite program in the country over that stretch and is deep with solid teams (though no other elite programs).

The AAC can get there, but the general positivity for the NBE has been reasonable given its overall success.
05-21-2018 10:46 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(05-21-2018 09:56 AM)justinhub2003 Wrote:  

Just FYI...

When I place quotes around recruiting, I'm saying they're cheating.

John Calipari is a great "recruiter".
05-21-2018 10:51 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-21-2018 10:39 AM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  

Georgetown, St John's, Marquette, Xavier, Butler Creighton are all decent brands
05-21-2018 10:56 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-21-2018 10:33 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Mountain West had the #1 RPI conference in the country in 2012-2013 and 5 NCAA bids out of 9 teams in their conference that year. Certainly anything is possible.

Granted that was before Utah St (109 RPI) and San Jose St(261 RPI but most of their wins were OOC) went to the MWC but it would have still been a banner year.

It was a fluke but if they can have a year like that, the AAC can put together a string of several years where we are as good as the Big East or some of the P5's I think if ECU and USF get their **** together.

MWC at this time will never rise to power status...not enough hoop brands

12-13 was a statistical fluke
05-21-2018 10:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.