Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USF and Florida sign 3 game football series
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
USF and Florida sign 3 game football series
USF and Florida agreed to a three game football series, 2022 at UF, 2023 in Tampa, and 2025 at UF.

Buyout for each game is $2.25m.

Super-sweet deal for the Bulls, kudos to our AD.

No grounds for whining about it being 2 for 1, this 'road trip' is a two hour bus ride up I75, and if the Gators cancel a game, we pocket a whopping sum.

02-13-banana
05-22-2018 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: USF and Florida sign 3 game football series
Thrilled for the Bulls.
05-22-2018 04:14 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Still a 2 for 1 no matter how you look at it.
05-22-2018 04:15 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-22-2018 04:10 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  USF and Florida agreed to a three game football series, 2022 at UF, 2023 in Tampa, and 2025 at UF.

No grounds for whining about it being 2 for 1, this 'road trip' is a two hour bus ride up I75, and if the Gators cancel a game, we pocket a whopping sum.

02-13-banana

They wouldn't have scheduled it if they didn't want to play it. You should consider it a potential audition. Eventually the SEC is going to want a more South Florida presence and USF has the best research and is opposite coast from Gainesville.
05-22-2018 04:16 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
but they didn't want "The Champs." Interesting.
05-22-2018 04:56 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-22-2018 04:56 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  but they didn't want "The Champs." Interesting.

Nothing interesting about it. Florida would rather recruit that area. They do well over to the Panhandle and down to the Orlando area. Miami's area is rich enough in recruits they don't have to be effective in the whole state because they keep a lot of the South Florida talent. Not everything is about last years news. We'll see what Central has this year.
05-22-2018 05:17 PM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

(05-22-2018 05:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-22-2018 04:56 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  but they didn't want "The Champs." Interesting.

Nothing interesting about it. Florida would rather recruit that area. They do well over to the Panhandle and down to the Orlando area. Miami's area is rich enough in recruits they don't have to be effective in the whole state because they keep a lot of the South Florida talent. Not everything is about last years news. We'll see what Central has this year.

It was more about UCF's perception of themselves than what Florida is doing. Good for the Bulls.
05-22-2018 05:28 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Fantastic move for USF
05-22-2018 06:53 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-22-2018 05:28 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

It was more about UCF's perception of themselves than what Florida is doing. Good for the Bulls.

No. The Tampa / St. Pete area is one that Florida needs more of a presence in. Before the rise of USF and UCF that area was more fertile for the Gators. Now playing USF is an opportunity for them to have an in state game that puts them back into that region of the state in a positive way. That's not to say that Florida can't recruit any part of their state, they can. But they also recruit nationally and when you do that over a long period of time High School coaches can retire and or move on and keeping things fresh in terms of contacts is always beneficial.
05-22-2018 07:40 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
This is good for UF I suppose, but it’s not as if USF has had tons of trouble attracting good series - they’ve had home and homes with FSU and Miami this decade
05-22-2018 08:00 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Congrats to USF for working out a deal that's beneficial to both parties and securing these games. Perhaps some of your peers should take note.
05-22-2018 08:01 PM
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(05-22-2018 04:10 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  USF and Florida agreed to a three game football series, 2022 at UF, 2023 in Tampa, and 2025 at UF.

02-13-banana

But did they include a Hurricane Clause?
05-22-2018 08:27 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

(05-22-2018 07:40 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

No. The Tampa / St. Pete area is one that Florida needs more of a presence in. Before the rise of USF and UCF that area was more fertile for the Gators. Now playing USF is an opportunity for them to have an in state game that puts them back into that region of the state in a positive way. That's not to say that Florida can't recruit any part of their state, they can. But they also recruit nationally and when you do that over a long period of time High School coaches can retire and or move on and keeping things fresh in terms of contacts is always beneficial.

I meant that my post was a subtle jab at UCF. I hope USF can get a series going with Florida in other sports too.
05-22-2018 09:00 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-22-2018 09:00 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(05-22-2018 07:40 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I meant that my post was a subtle jab at UCF. I hope USF can get a series going with Florida in other sports too.

Got it. I can see Auburn and Alabama and other schools who want to recruit particularly the Gulf Coast of Florida going for a 3 game set as well. South Florida isn't growing as fast in terms of student enrollment as UCF but they are growing steadily in research and the quality of all of their sports is coming around.
05-22-2018 09:05 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
(05-22-2018 04:16 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

02-13-banana

They wouldn't have scheduled it if they didn't want to play it. You should consider it a potential audition. Eventually the SEC is going to want a more South Florida presence and USF has the best research and is opposite coast from Gainesville.

So who would they add that’s in south Florida? Fau, fiu or Miami?
05-22-2018 10:14 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Agreed that the SEC may seriously look at a 2nd Florida school like a 2nd Texas school but it must be a different recruiting market and fanbase
05-22-2018 10:16 PM
Advertisement

sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
This is great series for USF with the buyout pretty much cementing the deal, but lets not think that the stadium and attendance had nothing to do with it. UCF, having an OCS with a 45,000 capacity would not allow the kind of fan participation for UF than a non OCS with a pro team stadium for USF.
05-22-2018 10:25 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-22-2018 10:14 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  
(05-22-2018 04:16 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

02-13-banana

So who would they add that’s in south Florida? Fau, fiu or Miami?

That depends on how well the ACCN pans out. I'm expecting it to keep them close enough. But if it doesn't I think we would eventually make a play for F.S.U. again (not in South Florida but carries a high enough % of the state that with Florida further additions would be unnecessary. If F.S.U. says no then maybe Miami as a backup.

If the ACCN does keep them viable in payouts and another decade creeps by with the same kind of population shifts happening, and there is currently nothing to indicate otherwise, then if the SEC wants to look for a 2nd Florida school I think the Bulls would be the choice (not South Florida but close enough). Gainesville is close to Jacksonville in the East and Tampa/St Petersburg would give us a Gulf Coast destination and their research as I have mentioned is coming along nicely. Consider L.S.U.'s and A&M's proximity to coast via Houston & New Orleans (like Gainesville about an hour inland) and it is evident that it would give the SEC a nice presence all the way around the Gulf Coast and I think there's your answer. Who knows maybe one day the SEC offices will relocate to Gulf Shores.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2018 10:40 PM by JRsec.)
05-22-2018 10:30 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-22-2018 10:25 PM)sierrajip Wrote:  This is great series for USF with the buyout pretty much cementing the deal, but lets not think that the stadium and attendance had nothing to do with it. UCF, having an OCS with a 45,000 capacity would not allow the kind of fan participation for UF than a non OCS with a pro team stadium for USF.

Yep. Tampa Stadium seats around 74,000. That's good enough for an away game with ample availability for visitors' seating. I'll be surprised if it's not sold out.
05-22-2018 10:33 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Tulane USED to do more of these high-end series when they played in the Superdome. Nowadays we play a lot of Army, Wake Forest, and Duke types. It's probably better since we don't get violated by those teams.

I expect OU to buy out the back two legs of the series with Tulane. They won't come to Yulman.
05-22-2018 10:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.