https://deadspin.com/milwaukee-police-re...1826275081
05-23-2018 07:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: Don’t tase me bro....
hopefully this will lead to a six-figure payment from the city with lots of 'desk duty' a demotions ahead for these 'peace officers'

it's not cool to park across handicap lanes but what those cops did looks like assault to me.
05-23-2018 07:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SadderBudweiser Offline
1st String

I Root For: $$$$MU
(05-23-2018 07:46 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  hopefully this will lead to a six-figure payment from the city with lots of 'desk duty' a demotions ahead for these 'peace officers'

it's not cool to park across handicap lanes but what those cops did looks like assault to me.

Jeez.... just give him a ticket and hit the donut shop guys. A full 8-10 minutes of baiting him.
05-23-2018 08:31 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
Meanwhile the NFL is about to take it in the chops with a huge fight. The NFLPA is already talking legal challenge to the new NFL rule to stop players from protesting this exact kind of behavior.

Next year may be the most politically relevant sports year since 1968, maybe all the way back to Jackie in 1947 or the 1936 games.
05-23-2018 08:42 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(05-23-2018 08:42 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  Meanwhile the NFL is about to take it in the chops with a huge fight. The NFLPA is already talking legal challenge to the new NFL rule to stop players from protesting this exact kind of behavior.

Next year may be the most politically relevant sports year since 1968, maybe all the way back to Jackie in 1947 or the 1936 games.

I know this isn't exactly the same but I'm reminded of a fantastic speech from 'The American President'

Quote:America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms.

Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.
05-23-2018 08:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Why refuse to take your hands out of your pockets?
05-24-2018 01:14 AM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
If the cops tell me to take my hands out of my pockets, I do right then and there and leave them out, if Iam pulled over in my car, I put both of my hands on top of the steering wheel and wait for the cop to walk up and can see both of my hands and then wait for instructions
05-24-2018 06:29 AM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies
(05-24-2018 01:14 AM)Kronke Wrote:  Why refuse to take your hands out of your pockets?
Didn't see the video (did not want to disable my ad blocker). how was he asked to take his hands out of his pockets?

Was it

Could you please remove your hands from your pockets for our safety and yours so we can verify you do not have any weapons?

Or was it

Get your hands out of you pockets nig .. someone tase him he is resisting,
05-24-2018 08:12 AM
TU4ever Offline
All American

First I find it odd that people are still questioning the actions of Sterling here. When the police chief and mayor say it's wrong and most of the public finds the behavior unacceptable.

Second it did not matter if he put his hands in his pockets or not. The police were looking for a reason to take him down. This is write a ticket and walk away incident, a situation that is no where near what many metermaids encounter on a daily basis. The police officer intentionally escalated the situation for no reason. A situation which has been repeated and condoned all over the country. Only with the recent increase in video recording devices have these incidents been brought to light and the depth of the problem revealed to the general public. It's a problem the poor of the community and in particular minorities have long complained about.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2018 08:47 AM by TU4ever.)
05-24-2018 08:45 AM
SadderBudweiser Offline
1st String

I Root For: $$$$MU
(05-24-2018 08:45 AM)TU4ever Wrote:  First I find it odd that people are still questioning the actions of Sterling here. When the police chief and mayor say it's wrong and most of the public finds the behavior unacceptable.

Second it did not matter if he put his hands in his pockets or not. The police were looking for a reason to take him down. This is write a ticket and walk away incident, a situation that is no where near what many metermaids encounter on a daily basis. The police officer intentionally escalated the situation for no reason. A situation which has been repeated and condoned all over the country. Only with the recent increase in video recording devices have these incidents been brought to light and the depth of the problem revealed to the general public. It's a problem the poor of the community and in particular minorities have long complained about.

The video is painful to watch as it clearly shows (to me, anyway) Sterling being baited for almost ten minutes purely for the amusement of 7 or 8 bored cops until they finally find a way to cuff him. It’s cold out there.
05-24-2018 09:15 AM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(05-24-2018 01:14 AM)Kronke Wrote:  Why refuse to take your hands out of your pockets?

In fairness this is Milwaukee at 2 am in January. Yeah I'd take my hands out of my pockets if there were 10 people with licenses to shoot me around me but there is some context to it and the fact he was probably cold and nervous. Some people put their hands in their pockets unconsciously when nervous. He may have not even registered what they were saying in that moment.

It's ridiculous the original cop wanted to make a big deal at 2 am in an empty parking lot but seriously don't park across 2 handicap spots would be a good start not to have any problem and if you do just apologize and offer to pay the ticket when you are clearly in the wrong. The cop wanted to be an ass hole from the start but Brown could have deescalated it a lot more than he did. Just back up, follow orders, don't try to get in your car etc. I've got a lot of tickets and I don't understand why people don't just follow whatever orders the cop says, or ever try to argue with them. You can't win.

The cop was probably intimidated by a 6-6 dude hovering over him and once the cop made the call for back up and all his buddies rushed over there jacked up on adrenaline that was just gasoline on the situation and made Brown more defensive. Good thing it didn't end worse.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2018 09:38 AM by StillJonesing.)
05-25-2018 09:20 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(05-24-2018 08:45 AM)TU4ever Wrote:  First I find it odd that people are still questioning the actions of Sterling here. When the police chief and mayor say it's wrong and most of the public finds the behavior unacceptable.

it's alt-right spin rooms folks...par for the course.

under Kronke we would go from the nation who gave the world 'give me liberty, or give me death!' to the nation who tells us to 'submit and comply'
05-25-2018 10:07 AM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(05-25-2018 09:20 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  

In fairness this is Milwaukee at 2 am in January. Yeah I'd take my hands out of my pockets if there were 10 people with licenses to shoot me around me but there is some context to it and the fact he was probably cold and nervous. Some people put their hands in their pockets unconsciously when nervous. He may have not even registered what they were saying in that moment.

It's ridiculous the original cop wanted to make a big deal at 2 am in an empty parking lot but seriously don't park across 2 handicap spots would be a good start not to have any problem and if you do just apologize and offer to pay the ticket when you are clearly in the wrong. The cop wanted to be an ass hole from the start but Brown could have deescalated it a lot more than he did. Just back up, follow orders, don't try to get in your car etc. I've got a lot of tickets and I don't understand why people don't just follow whatever orders the cop says, or ever try to argue with them. You can't win.

The cop was probably intimidated by a 6-6 dude hovering over him and once the cop made the call for back up and all his buddies rushed over there jacked up on adrenaline that was just gasoline on the situation and made Brown more defensive. Good thing it didn't end worse.

I don't want to keep getting into this, but the cop could have just wrote the ticket and put it on the windshield, like every other metermaid on Earth does when a driver parks illegally and gets mad at the ticket.
05-25-2018 11:05 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-25-2018 11:05 AM)TU4ever Wrote:  
(05-25-2018 09:20 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  

I don't want to keep getting into this, but the cop could have just wrote the ticket and put it on the windshield, like every other metermaid on Earth does when a driver parks illegally and gets mad at the ticket.

It's 2 am and he's parked idiotically across to handicap lanes. Maybe the cop wanted to make sure he wasn't drunk or impaired, that's a big part of his job at 2 am too, watching out for the saftey of other. Brown wasn't completely without fault, the cop was an ass hole and handled it very poorly but it's on you obey them regardless and they have lethal power so it's smart too.

If the guy says back up just back up and don't argue with him or push back on him like he apparently did, and then especially don't try to get in your car afterwards. Would you try to get in a car when a cop is talking to you? I wouldn't without telling him what I was doing, getting license whatever. I think most everyone knows police brutality exist and is wrong but protect yourself by supplicating if you have to for 5 minutes. Who cares, it's 200 bucks, it's not worth it.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2018 11:27 AM by StillJonesing.)
05-25-2018 11:22 AM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

Crappies
The point is police brutality should not exist. It shouldn't be walk on eggshells and hope a cop does not try to beat your ass or shoot you. I believe in following police orders as much as the next guy but it can't be roll over and show belly at every cops whim.
05-25-2018 11:43 AM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-25-2018 11:43 AM)uhmump95 Wrote:  The point is police brutality should not exist. It shouldn't be walk on eggshells and hope a cop does not try to beat your ass or shoot you. I believe in following police orders as much as the next guy but it can't be roll over and show belly at every cops whim.

Certainly, no one has disagreed but I live in the real world. That's an occupation with high stress and PTSD. You could just catch at cop on the wrong day and you will never eliminate some aspects of that it no matter who you hire how you train etc. You bare some responsibility just to protect yourself by compliance.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2018 11:48 AM by StillJonesing.)
05-25-2018 11:45 AM
pcm0103 Offline
1st String

(05-25-2018 10:07 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

it's alt-right spin rooms folks...par for the course.

under Kronke we would go from the nation who gave the world 'give me liberty, or give me death!' to the nation who tells us to 'submit and comply'
That's why this isn't posted on the spin room. They would spin it to make it like it was totally his fault.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
05-25-2018 11:54 AM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

Crappies
(05-25-2018 11:45 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(05-25-2018 11:43 AM)uhmump95 Wrote:  The point is police brutality should not exist. It shouldn't be walk on eggshells and hope a cop does not try to beat your ass or shoot you. I believe in following police orders as much as the next guy but it can't be roll over and show belly at every cops whim.

Certainly, no one has disagreed but I live in the real world. That's an occupation with high stress and PTSD. You could just catch at cop on the wrong day and you will never eliminate some aspects of that it no matter who you hire how you train etc. You bare some responsibility just to protect yourself by compliance.

I live in the real world as well. The only thing attitudes like yours do is attack the victim. There has to be a line in the sand where something is considered wrong and not a gray area that can be explained away because of some minor detail.

The question posed here was "should Sterling had been tased?" For most the answer is no, but for you and a select you, you want to say "maybe. because he did not take his hands out of pockets ...."
05-25-2018 12:34 PM
Moody Magic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
Sterling handled that about as well as possible. Proud of him for keeping his cool when it was very obvious what was going on. This just highlights the racial issues that exist in Milwaukee.
05-25-2018 12:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.