Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC straw poll
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
ACC straw poll
If we were to conduct a straw poll of the ACC members and these were the options how do you think each school would vote?:

A. ACC for life! (Even if it means earning less than other conferences)
B. We'd rather be in the SEC
C. We'd rather be in the Big Ten
05-25-2018 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
RE: ACC straw poll
(05-25-2018 02:24 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  If we were to conduct a straw poll of the ACC members and these were the options how do you think each school would vote?:

A. Duke, UNC, UVA, WF
B. Clemson, FSU, GT, Louisville, Miami, NC State, VT
C. BC, Pitt, Syracuse

ND declines to vote
05-25-2018 02:48 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-25-2018 02:24 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  If we were to conduct a straw poll of the ACC members and these were the options how do you think each school would vote?:

You left one option out here Muskie.

D. We would rather quit trying to pretend we offer football and go basketball only.

I think if folks were honest you would get more that took option D. It's not the majority as Clemson, Miami, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia Tech and even Pitt and Boston College, and maybe N.C. State would never check this box.

But there are those which I have not named maybe 5 of them that really would lean towad D. though they would never state it publicly.
05-25-2018 02:51 PM
Fighting Muskie Online

(05-25-2018 02:48 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  

A. Duke, UNC, UVA, WF
B. Clemson, FSU, GT, Louisville, Miami, NC State, VT
C. BC, Pitt, Syracuse

ND declines to vote

That's about where I would have them as well--maybe switching GT to the A column. If you actually put all the B schools in an expanded SEC it would be a tv juggernaut.
05-25-2018 03:00 PM
Fighting Muskie Online

(05-25-2018 02:51 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

D. We would rather quit trying to pretend we offer football and go basketball only.

I think if folks were honest you would get more that took option D. It's not the majority as Clemson, Miami, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia Tech and even Pitt and Boston College, and maybe N.C. State would never check this box.

But there are those which I have not named maybe 5 of them that really would lean towad D. though they would never state it publicly.

If football independence was tenable in the modern era I think some of those schools would like to hitch themselves to some Big East schools and move their football schedule to an academic peers only schedule with schools like Rice, Tulane, Northwestern, Vandy, and William & Mary.
05-25-2018 03:07 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

That would be really dumb for any program in the ACC to have such a mindset. Option D is shortsighted at best, which is surprising coming from such an astute poster as yourself JRSec. Especially when you have Syracuse in that group.

Up until 2001 SU was very good at fb, until making a couple of bad hires for the HC position, even playing in major bowls. If you see the kind of money that SU has been throwing into its fb program you would have never grouped SU into that category. SU actually invests more money into its fb program than some of those that you say would never check that option, and has as good or better football history and tradition.

Lots of folks make the mistake in thinking that because a school is good in one sport that that's the sport that they care about most. Up until 2001, SU fb was as good and had as high a profile as SU basketball. SU now has its largest fb coaching and support staff in its history. Even though SU fb attendance is at its lowest level ever in the Dome, the football program is still profitable. SU stinks in fb now, but its not because they have not been trying.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2018 03:21 PM by cuseroc.)
05-25-2018 03:18 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-25-2018 03:18 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

That would be really dumb for any program in the ACC to have such a mindset. Option D is shortsighted at best, which is surprising coming from such an astute poster as yourself JRSec. Especially when you have Syracuse in that group.

Up until 2001 SU was very good at fb, until making a couple of bad hires for the HC position, even playing in major bowls. If you see the kind of money that SU has been throwing into its fb program you would have never grouped SU into that category. SU actually invests more money into its fb program than some of those that you say would never check that option, and has as good or better football history and tradition.

Lots of folks make the mistake in thinking that because a school is good in one sport that that's the sport that they care about most. Up until 2001, SU fb was as good and had as high a profile as SU basketball. SU now has its largest fb coaching and support staff in its history. SU stinks in fb now, but its not because they have not been trying.

Actually I meant to include Syracuse with B.C. and Pitt. It was N.C. State I had as the maybe, both where I listed them, and then with the other 4. I know their fan base loves football, I just had my doubts about their administration. Wake and Duke have put forth good faith efforts as of late but it is still a lot of overhead for them. And to listen to X state the case for Carolina you'd never know there was anyone there who loved football.
05-25-2018 03:23 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-25-2018 02:51 PM)JRsec Wrote:  D. We would rather quit trying to pretend we offer football and go basketball only.

I think if folks were honest you would get more that took option D... there are those which I have not named maybe 5 of them that really would lean towad D. though they would never state it publicly.

Up until 2001 SU was very good at fb, until making a couple of bad hires for the HC position, even playing in major bowls...

This makes me wonder if former Auburn coach Pat Dye still has any of those ties Syracuse sent him...?
07-coffee3
05-25-2018 05:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-25-2018 05:03 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-25-2018 02:51 PM)JRsec Wrote:  D. We would rather quit trying to pretend we offer football and go basketball only.

I think if folks were honest you would get more that took option D... there are those which I have not named maybe 5 of them that really would lean towad D. though they would never state it publicly.

Up until 2001 SU was very good at fb, until making a couple of bad hires for the HC position, even playing in major bowls...

This makes me wonder if former Auburn coach Pat Dye still has any of those ties Syracuse sent him...?
07-coffee3

I miss having ties. They screwed up so many potentially great years.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2018 05:20 PM by JRsec.)
05-25-2018 05:06 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
A. ( I didn't decline to vote). Status quo is the way to go.
05-25-2018 05:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(05-25-2018 05:17 PM)TerryD Wrote:  A. ( I didn't decline to vote). Status quo is the way to go.

I just figured they wouldn't want to hitch themselves to the ACC "for life."
05-25-2018 07:33 PM
Advertisement

Wolfman Online
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
It depends on who you ask. The presidents voted A when they extend the contracts/GoR to 2035/36, a lifetime in college sports. I think Syracuse and BC had the opportunity to go to the B1G in 2011. If you consider that Rutgers was taken based on the population of New Jersey, New York has more than 2x the population and Syracuse athletics is a notch or two above Rutgers, Syracuse could have gone B1G. Massachusetts is a smaller state but BC is a bigger name. I don't know if PSU wanted or could get another school from PA in the B1G.

Florida State and Clemson fans would probably vote for SEC. I don't know many Louisville fans, I suspect they would probably vote SEC as well.
05-26-2018 09:04 PM
rednblackattack Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
ACC for life. It is the absolute perfect fit for Louisville
05-27-2018 05:01 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(05-25-2018 07:33 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(05-25-2018 05:17 PM)TerryD Wrote:  A. ( I didn't decline to vote). Status quo is the way to go.

I just figured they wouldn't want to hitch themselves to the ACC "for life."

I mean, they are already hitched there until 2036.

ND has its basketball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, etc...right where it wants to be, in a conference stretching from South Bend to Boston, Boston to Miami, all along with East Coast with a lot of like minded, "good fit" private schools.

"As is" for the foreseeable future, with 24 sports in the ACC, but with football staying independent and hockey in the Big Ten (boo, hiss, I wish it had stayed in Hockey East)?

Sure...status quo...meaning never football in any conference and no more sports in the Big Ten, ever.

Yes. Sign ND up for that.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2018 08:57 AM by TerryD.)
05-27-2018 08:54 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

A-depending on HOW much less
UNC, Duke, WF, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, FSU, Miami, ND
B
NCSU, Clemson, Louisville
C
Pitt

Given these 3 choices, BC and SU would choose A. But I think they would prefer a resurrected financially viable Big East.
05-27-2018 02:13 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-27-2018 02:13 PM)bullet Wrote:  

B
C
Pitt

Given these 3 choices, BC and SU would choose A. But I think they would prefer a resurrected financially viable Big East.

Well we are talking about money here Bullet. Donors and Alums at F.S.U. would prefer the SEC under these circumstances. Miami is a more like Notre Dame in that they will do whatever is best for themselves.

Georgia Tech might prefer a more local schedule in the SEC but they wouldn't be of much value to the SEC except as a defensive move. If the SEC felt really good about its other options I could see Tech accepting a Big 10 invitation and with them possibly Miami.

So I'd say ACC forever would be Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, and Wake Forest. It's likely the N.C. State administration fits into the this group as well, their alums and donors?

Virginia Tech would stick by them until it was clear major problems were on the horizon, like the defections of Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Louisville and Boston College, and less likely Pittsburgh. And their preferences would be secondary to their potential to leave for more revenue. I think all of them would entertain either the SEC or Big 12, or the SEC or Big 10, depending upon their academic status.

Notre Dame would remain aloof and merely wait for the dust to settle so that wherever they decided to join they would be the last best piece of the puzzle thereby enhancing their own value and bargaining position.
05-27-2018 03:09 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-27-2018 03:09 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

B
C
Pitt

Well we are talking about money here Bullet. Donors and Alums at F.S.U. would prefer the SEC under these circumstances. Miami is a more like Notre Dame in that they will do whatever is best for themselves.

Georgia Tech might prefer a more local schedule in the SEC but they wouldn't be of much value to the SEC except as a defensive move. If the SEC felt really good about its other options I could see Tech accepting a Big 10 invitation and with them possibly Miami.

So I'd say ACC forever would be Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, and Wake Forest. It's likely the N.C. State administration fits into the this group as well, their alums and donors?

Virginia Tech would stick by them until it was clear major problems were on the horizon, like the defections of Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Louisville and Boston College, and less likely Pittsburgh. And their preferences would be secondary to their potential to leave for more revenue. I think all of them would entertain either the SEC or Big 12, or the SEC or Big 10, depending upon their academic status.

Notre Dame would remain aloof and merely wait for the dust to settle so that wherever they decided to join they would be the last best piece of the puzzle thereby enhancing their own value and bargaining position.

JR is much closer than bullet, IMO.

A. UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake, UVA, and probably even Clemson, VT and Louisville.
B. maybe Clemson and FSU; even less likely VT and Louisville.
C. Pitt, maybe Syracuse and BC; maybe even UVA and UNC (but don't hold your breath).

BOTTOM LINE: I don't think there is a single ACC school which is actively looking to change conferences at this time, despite the financial gap. For now I think they are "all in" to try to grow more revenue so they can stay together.
05-27-2018 04:06 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(05-27-2018 04:06 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

B
C
Pitt

A. UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake, UVA, and probably even Clemson, VT and Louisville.
C. Pitt, maybe Syracuse and BC; maybe even UVA and UNC (but don't hold your breath).

BOTTOM LINE: I don't think there is a single ACC school which is actively looking to change conferences at this time, despite the financial gap. For now I think they are "all in" to try to grow more revenue so they can stay together.

That's why they all signed the GOR.
05-27-2018 08:08 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-27-2018 08:08 PM)XLance Wrote:  

B
C
Pitt

It was more of an Officer and a Gentlemen moment X. They did it because they "got nowhere else to go!" ESPN wouldn't pay the SEC to take Clemson or Florida State, and outside of Virginia and North Carolina who were core, the Big 10 didn't want anyone else. And even worse for the football first schools the Big 12 was getting whacked and looked weak. So what else could they all do???
05-27-2018 09:06 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(05-27-2018 08:08 PM)XLance Wrote:  

B
C
Pitt

For Clemson it was an anti-athletics president with delusions that associating with Chapel Hill would better our mythical academic standing. Little did he know how it would lead to his suggested retirement, handcuff our athletics department for close to three decades, and that Chapel Hill's academic standing would be proven to be a paperwork myth.

Given the freedom from the GOR and an invitation to the SEC Clemson would gladly accept.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2018 09:25 PM by Kaplony.)
05-27-2018 09:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.