Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC Meetings this week - looks like alcohol sales and gambling will be big topics
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
SEC Meetings this week - looks like alcohol sales and gambling will be big topics
Apparently Auburn, A&M, and LSU are pushing hard for allowing alcohol sales. IMO this is long overdue but I expect certain schools (like SC) to hold out for whatever reason.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/top-i...7nueipyWK/
05-29-2018 08:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
RE: SEC Meetings this week - looks like alcohol sales and gambling will be big topics
(05-29-2018 08:20 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  Apparently Auburn, A&M, and LSU are pushing hard for allowing alcohol sales. IMO this is long overdue but I expect certain schools (like SC) to hold out for whatever reason.

Sell the alcohol to responsible fans and jail the ones who cannot handle it. I am tired of being deprived of enjoyment because of the few who cannot behave. The military has gone this route. They make policies based upon the actions of a few. All the rest are punished. You cannot drink a beer as an 18 year old on base because the Air force sees 5 DUI's in a month a negative trend. The other 4000 students pay the price. Punish the law breakers. Park a jail trailer outside for the troublemakers. Works really well during Mardi Gras.
05-29-2018 08:19 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
RE: SEC Meetings this week - looks like alcohol sales and gambling will be big topics
I think at most make it a school by school basis decision.

If A&M wants to sell beer, fine. If Arky wants to set up a still and sell shine, fine. If Vandy wants to sell wine spritzers that pair nicely with fine cheese, fine. If Florida for whatever reason doesn't want to sell alcohol then fine.

Let the schools decide.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 08:59 PM by 10thMountain.)
05-29-2018 08:58 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(05-29-2018 08:20 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  Apparently Auburn, A&M, and LSU are pushing hard for allowing alcohol sales. IMO this is long overdue but I expect certain schools (like SC) to hold out for whatever reason.

College and alcohol. Who'd have thunk.

I agree with what's been said, let the schools decide the hows & whens. If the conference wants a say, they could set up a series of punishments if things were to get out of hand and the individual school doesn't prepare for or handle it properly.

As for gambling, the smart play is to get out in front of it and figure out a way to make money. Gambling is going to happen, it's just a matter of how fast. Smart conferences will realize this and position themselves to create an additional revenue stream. I'm sure the SEC and B1G will be (probably have been) discussing what the plan of attack will be.
05-30-2018 08:16 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
From what I've read so far, the SEC meetings have been dominated by Saban's comments on transfers.
05-30-2018 09:05 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Drunk SEC fans?

Huskie Jebus have mercy.
05-30-2018 09:12 AM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

(05-29-2018 08:19 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

Sell the alcohol to responsible fans and jail the ones who cannot handle it. I am tired of being deprived of enjoyment because of the few who cannot behave. The military has gone this route. They make policies based upon the actions of a few. All the rest are punished. You cannot drink a beer as an 18 year old on base because the Air force sees 5 DUI's in a month a negative trend. The other 4000 students pay the price. Punish the law breakers. Park a jail trailer outside for the troublemakers. Works really well during Mardi Gras.

I agree 100%. Keep it out of the student section but selling everywhere else. It wouldn’t even be a big administrative burden, just let individual vendors and local breweries bring their own people and kiosks in and take a cut of it. This would make it LESS likely that people binge on liquor beforehand, which is when people really get out of control
05-30-2018 01:33 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(05-30-2018 09:12 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Drunk SEC fans?

Huskie Jebus have mercy.

We already were beforehand anyway. Might as well make some cash off of it
05-30-2018 01:34 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Tropical Storm arrives in Destin, FL on Sunday. SEC arrives in Destin, FL on Monday.
05-30-2018 01:35 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-30-2018 01:35 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Tropical Storm arrives in Destin, FL on Sunday. SEC arrives in Destin, FL on Monday.

Timing is everything!

1. Alcohol sales: Not a fan of this, but it is probably pointless not to. The real liability here is a DUI related accidents after a game. Will venues, like bars, be held to standard of not selling the already inebriated?

2. Transfer rules: Saban can shut up. The kids should have the right to go anywhere if they don't like it, unless with stipends we start signing contracts. Hmm.

3. Gambling: I really don't want to go there at all. There's enough corruption from its presence already but its fingerprints will be all over everything if this becomes reality. I blame the courts because the Federal Government and organized crime are pretty much synonymous already.

As for keeping booze out of the Student Section, good grief! If you want a drink in the stadium now you either need to be in the Skyboxes or in the student section. It's reasonably dry everywhere else with minor exceptions that sometimes get arrested.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2018 01:53 PM by JRsec.)
05-30-2018 01:46 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

This article makes it sound like we are still a long way away. Very frustrating, and unfortunately I think SC is one of the biggest schools against this

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/co...654885002/
05-30-2018 01:48 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama

Huskie Jebus have mercy.

You've obviously never been to an SEC tailgate.
05-30-2018 03:33 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

The gambling issue is the trickiest.

The thing we shouldn't overlook is that this is now a states issue. The courts ruled that the Feds can't prohibit it, but states may still decide to do so.

So it will be hard for any conference to come up with a unified position on this because the laws may vary radically from state to state within a conference's own footprint.

Even if most states were fairly similar in approach, it will still be hard because an "anything goes" state like Nevada could dramatically alter the market regardless of what efforts may lie elsewhere.

I do agree though, it's best for the leagues to get out in front of this. In Britain, you can place bets inside the stadiums and many of the soccer clubs obtain sponsorships from gambling companies. My opinion is that the more you democratize this then the less potential you have for affecting outcomes on the field despite the fact there will be more money in it now than ever.
05-30-2018 03:42 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-30-2018 03:42 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  The gambling issue is the trickiest.

The thing we shouldn't overlook is that this is now a states issue. The courts ruled that the Feds can't prohibit it, but states may still decide to do so.

So it will be hard for any conference to come up with a unified position on this because the laws may vary radically from state to state within a conference's own footprint.

Even if most states were fairly similar in approach, it will still be hard because an "anything goes" state like Nevada could dramatically alter the market regardless of what efforts may lie elsewhere.

I do agree though, it's best for the leagues to get out in front of this. In Britain, you can place bets inside the stadiums and many of the soccer clubs obtain sponsorships from gambling companies. My opinion is that the more you democratize this then the less potential you have for affecting outcomes on the field despite the fact there will be more money in it now than ever.

That's the same reason that instant replay doesn't change the house winning against the closing line 85% of the time. Games are not thrown per se, their spreads are managed, and not by coaches or players like they were way back in the 30's through the 50's, but like they are every Sunday in the NFL. As long as interference and holding calls are not subject to review, the yellow hankie can be used to keep spreads in line. Getting fumbles and interceptions correct is like slight of hand if that satisfies the fans and the old adage a flag can be thrown on any play for holding or pass interference is universally accepted then nobody will notice the shaving. And sometimes the review can be used to take away or award points based on the subjectivity of whether the ball crossed the goal line, and whether it crossed under possession of the carrier, or not, or with one foot in on a reception or not, etc. There are already in the NFL and NCAA been reviews that probably weren't clear but were used to take or give away points.

So it has been done and will be done and that won't change. There is no getting out in front of this. There is only the choice of whether you will be complicit and make some money or refuse.
05-30-2018 04:25 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(05-30-2018 03:33 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

Huskie Jebus have mercy.

Just when NIU beat Alabama in 2003.

04-cheers
05-30-2018 04:44 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(05-30-2018 04:25 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

That's the same reason that instant replay doesn't change the house winning against the closing line 85% of the time. Games are not thrown per se, their spreads are managed, and not by coaches or players like they were way back in the 30's through the 50's, but like they are every Sunday in the NFL. As long as interference and holding calls are not subject to review, the yellow hankie can be used to keep spreads in line. Getting fumbles and interceptions correct is like slight of hand if that satisfies the fans and the old adage a flag can be thrown on any play for holding or pass interference is universally accepted then nobody will notice the shaving. And sometimes the review can be used to take away or award points based on the subjectivity of whether the ball crossed the goal line, and whether it crossed under possession of the carrier, or not, or with one foot in on a reception or not, etc. There are already in the NFL and NCAA been reviews that probably weren't clear but were used to take or give away points.

So it has been done and will be done and that won't change. There is no getting out in front of this. There is only the choice of whether you will be complicit and make some money or refuse.

With unlimited varieties of prop bets, it will be easier to fix bets and keep it under the radar as long as nobody does anything too obvious. Things like a kicker taking a payoff to shank a PAT kick when his team is already leading 27-0? Or a player committing a meaningless penalty so that someone can win a bet on which team will be flagged for the most penalties in a game? That will absolutely happen. Maybe it already does, but it will happen more often when there is more access to betting and more money to be made on a fix.
05-30-2018 05:14 PM
Advertisement

Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(05-30-2018 05:14 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

With unlimited varieties of prop bets, it will be easier to fix bets and keep it under the radar as long as nobody does anything too obvious. Things like a kicker taking a payoff to shank a PAT kick when his team is already leading 27-0? Or a player committing a meaningless penalty so that someone can win a bet on which team will be flagged for the most penalties in a game? That will absolutely happen. Maybe it already does, but it will happen more often when there is more access to betting and more money to be made on a fix.

What is really tricky is that it does not even matter if gambling actually changes things what matters is if people think it does. If people think it did then even the lack of evidence will mean nothing because then you get things like people thinking it was a cover up.

Not discussing whether it should or not but just that even if there was no impact on the field people only need to think it is for their to be a potential problem.
05-30-2018 06:13 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(05-30-2018 04:44 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 03:33 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

Huskie Jebus have mercy.

Just when NIU beat Alabama in 2003.

04-cheers

I hope you folks did the neighborly thing and sent thank you cards to Mike Shula.
05-31-2018 08:50 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

The system we've had has operated under one principle however...prohibition.

The alcohol prohibition of the 20s gave us rich, influential, and violent mobsters. The same could be said to apply to other products. Whenever you have a black market, you have an environment ripe for corruption of the highest degree. If people want a product then they find a way to buy it whether the law allows them to or not. The illicit nature of the transaction allows for all sorts of immoral mechanisms. Call them market "forces" if you will.

Now, I'm not saying it's legalization has no potential to affect outcomes. After all, the law that was struck down wasn't even 30 years old. But I am saying that regulation tends to lessen the affects of underground activity.

IF the states get on board and IF the leagues have a vested interest on the economic side then the situation could actually improve.

You may be right in the end, but I don't think the thermostat has been set correctly as of today so that we know how this is going to play out.
05-31-2018 09:12 AM
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
You can add [url=https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/06/01/sec-stadium-alcohol-sales-policy-rules-changes]Kentucky and Georgia[/ur]] to the list of holdouts.
06-01-2018 05:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.