Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A-10 and ESPN Agree to Multi-Year ESPN-Plus Deal
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
A-10 and ESPN Agree to Multi-Year ESPN-Plus Deal
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — The Atlantic 10 Conference and ESPN have reached a multi-year media rights deal for more than 500 conference events each year to be carried on ESPN+, the first multi-sport, direct-to-consumer subscription streaming service from The Walt Disney Company Direct-to-Consumer & International segment in conjunction with ESPN.

The comprehensive new deal makes ESPN+ the exclusive streaming home for most Atlantic 10 sports and includes exclusive games from multiple A-10 Championships including men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s soccer, field hockey, women’s volleyball, baseball, softball and women’s lacrosse.

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.db...=211717410
05-31-2018 12:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
RE: A-10 and ESPN Agree to Multi-Year ESPN-Plus Deal
That's a step in the right direction, I imagine. I always like watching A10 hoops and there may be only one game on a week or so, depending where one lives. 04-wine
05-31-2018 12:50 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
A10 and Big East are in Comcast-NBC’s back yard...we’ve talked about NBC’s portfolio before...seems like A10 had seen enough with CBS and NBC isn’t going to be changing their ways.

The monster gobbles another one. A10 should have sold some content elsewhere, though, even if it was a passive NBC. I guess Fox wasn’t an option. And CBS helped out zero.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2018 01:01 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
05-31-2018 12:58 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
looking at it- their prior deal is still in effect- this is just an addition. Runs thru the 20-21 season for the original part with ESPN/CBS/NBC.
05-31-2018 01:55 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Are the CAA and the Patriot League the only conferences without some form of deal with ESPN?
05-31-2018 01:58 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-31-2018 12:58 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  A10 and Big East are in Comcast-NBC’s back yard...we’ve talked about NBC’s portfolio before...seems like A10 had seen enough with CBS and NBC isn’t going to be changing their ways.

The monster gobbles another one. A10 should have sold some content elsewhere, though, even if it was a passive NBC. I guess Fox wasn’t an option. And CBS helped out zero.

I don't think it's very realistic for anyone other than the P5 conferences to be able to maximize their revenue by splitting their packages among multiple networks. Whoever is paying for the G5/mid-major leagues wants (a) their top games on a weekly basis for quality for the linear networks and (b) as many of their lower tier games as opposed for quantity for the streaming options. The P5 have enough to cover both even when packages are split between networks, but the G5/mid-majors generally don't have that leverage.
05-31-2018 02:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
ESPN is stocking the recently acquired RSN's (from Fox) with new content.
I like this.
CJ
05-31-2018 02:02 PM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
Damn I always like trying to find UMass games on an obscure CBS sports net channel.
05-31-2018 02:33 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-31-2018 02:01 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(05-31-2018 12:58 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  A10 and Big East are in Comcast-NBC’s back yard...we’ve talked about NBC’s portfolio before...seems like A10 had seen enough with CBS and NBC isn’t going to be changing their ways.

I don't think it's very realistic for anyone other than the P5 conferences to be able to maximize their revenue by splitting their packages among multiple networks. Whoever is paying for the G5/mid-major leagues wants (a) their top games on a weekly basis for quality for the linear networks and (b) as many of their lower tier games as opposed for quantity for the streaming options. The P5 have enough to cover both even when packages are split between networks, but the G5/mid-majors generally don't have that leverage.

Not sure how you arrive at this conclusion. First--lets acknowledge that price point is part of the calculus here as well. So, maximizing value doesnt mean getting a P5 level deal. Secondly, splitting the contract has been a strategy in the G5 for a long time. CUSA did it to make more money than ESPN offered in 2010 (went with CBS-Sports and FOX). The current CUSA contract is split at least 3 ways (probably 4 once the ESPN negotiations are done). The AAC content is effectively split between multiple networks (ESPN and CBS-Sports)---the league just doesnt benefit from it (which is why they wont make that mistake again). The reaity? Splitting the package makes the most sense because no single network really needs 65 AAC football games (for instance).
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2018 03:54 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-31-2018 03:42 PM
Advertisement

MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(05-31-2018 02:02 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  ESPN is stocking the recently acquired RSN's (from Fox) with new content.
I like this.
CJ

Does FSN have any regionals in the Atlantic 10 footprint? Outside of St. Louis and Ohio.
05-31-2018 03:45 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
NBC sports marketing is just terrible. They put no energy or hype into hockey, A10, CAA, IVY, whoever. NBCSN is actually the one channel I always forget to check during hoops season.
05-31-2018 04:30 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Even NBC’s advertising for Notre Dame is kinda “meh.” The only thing NBC really goes all out for is the Summer & the Winter Olympics.
05-31-2018 05:05 PM
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass, Army, Rutgers
(05-31-2018 01:55 PM)stever20 Wrote:  looking at it- their prior deal is still in effect- this is just an addition. Runs thru the 20-21 season for the original part with ESPN/CBS/NBC.

Correct. My understanding is that ESPN+ simply replaces the Atlantic 10 Digital Network.
05-31-2018 07:25 PM
Advertisement

MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(05-31-2018 05:05 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Even NBC’s advertising for Notre Dame is kinda “meh.” The only thing NBC really goes all out for is the Summer & the Winter Olympics.

NBC goes all out for Sunday Night Football.
05-31-2018 08:03 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(05-31-2018 03:45 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  
(05-31-2018 02:02 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  ESPN is stocking the recently acquired RSN's (from Fox) with new content.
I like this.
CJ

Does FSN have any regionals in the Atlantic 10 footprint? Outside of St. Louis and Ohio.

Off the top of my head, but I believe YES is part of that regional network without getting the FS(geography)-style branding.
06-01-2018 08:52 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(05-31-2018 07:25 PM)McKinney Wrote:  
(05-31-2018 01:55 PM)stever20 Wrote:  looking at it- their prior deal is still in effect- this is just an addition. Runs thru the 20-21 season for the original part with ESPN/CBS/NBC.

Correct. My understanding is that ESPN+ simply replaces the Atlantic 10 Digital Network.

Looks to pick up lost content, like men's tournament basketball that isn't picked up by NBC or CBS. Sounds like CBS would still get the final of the men's tournament, but the other games (to a certain point) are ESPN's.

I get the impression that having ESPN there as a backup...wards off local NBCSN or CBS pick-ups? It's not like NBCSN does a lot for St. Joe's or La Salle out here. Drexel and Penn were easier to find at times. Patriot, too (Lehigh and Lafayette, at least).

I don't disagree that everyone should split their rights. I just think the A10 should given its geographical reach. You have strong regional markets...problem seems to be either the school or conference isn't working hard to get the games picked up with some consistency on CSN. Like here in Philly, again...feels like the schools not named Villanova aren't working hard to be seen on a station that reverts to prerecorded content when it could be playing Big Five ball...great recruitment tool for the schools.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2018 09:31 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
06-01-2018 09:30 AM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
I think the problem with the RSN route is they no longer want to pay for production costs for anything due to professional rights being so expensive
06-01-2018 06:02 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(05-31-2018 01:58 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Are the CAA and the Patriot League the only conferences without some form of deal with ESPN?

Big East.

It wants nothing to do with the network that tried to put them out of business.
06-02-2018 07:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.