Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2018-19 offseason baseball thread
Bookmark and Share
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
2018-19 offseason baseball thread
Let's get this started. The draft is tomorrow.

Draft

I could see Sandlin being taken as early as the 3rd round and as late as the 7th. I haven't seen as many predictions on Reynolds but if I had to guess he'll go somewhere in the 8-12 round range. Watch out for the Cubs and Reynolds. They interviewed him before the season and we’re recording his at-bats at a game earlier this season. I would be very surprised if either came back.

If I had to guess, Slater is the only other junior that could be taken in the draft. If he’s picked, it’d probably be after the 30th round. He should be back in Hattiesburg in 2019.

Seniors ... some team will probably take a chance on Keating. He has several holes in his game, but has size, speed, and power. Boyd is a guy that could be drafted really late or could go undrafted and sign a free agent deal (like Hadley last year).

Signees ... the only signee that I'm really confident in being taken in the draft is Brooks Warren. He’s a LHP from ECCC and is on Perfect Game’s top 500 prospect list. Baseball America describes him as “a lefty with an 89-91 mph fastball and a decent slider.” Could potentially figure in the rotation if he makes it to campus.

The other 2 guys I’m sorta watching are Brant Blaylock and Tyler Stuart. Blaylock had a mammoth year in the JUCOs, but didn’t do well in 2017 at State. I didn’t think Stuart was a draftable guy, but there was an article in his local paper that made it sound like some team could possibly take him late. He’s a 88-90 RHP out of Herscher, IL. Big dude (6’8). If either is drafted, it’d be late.

Roster

We had 36 players in the program this season. 6 graduated. 2 will be draft casualties. We are adding 15 players in this class (though there’s a potential draft casualty in there), and there’s a chance we could add 1 or 2 more. But let’s say the class stays at 15 and Warren makes it to campus. That’s 43 players total left .... which means there will be a couple guys cut. Trevin Eubanks already left. Jaylon Keys won’t return. That gets you down to 41. Means 4-6 players will have to leave. There’s also a pitcher that I think could transfer.

I didn’t include Colt Smith as a graduate, because I’d lean toward him being back next year.

Not even going to bother with the projected lineup or rotation, because we don’t know what’s going to happen with the draft or what the staff is going to with a few players. McGillis (3B, SS, or OF .... I’ve heard all 3 are possibilities), Blaylock (primarily a pitcher or will they let him hit as well?), and Wallner (will the staff try to mold him into a guy that could crack the rotation?).

Summer Ball

Here are the summer league assignments that I've found over the past few weeks and months. Probably missing a few, but here’s what I got:

Erick Hoard - Ocean State Waves (NECBL)
Stevie Powers - Ocean State Waves (NECBL)
Cole Donaldson - Ocean State Waves (NECBL)
Bryant Bowen - Upper Valley Nighthawks (NECBL)
Jacob Weirich - Waynesboro Generals (Valley Baseball League)
Gabe Montenegro - Waynesboro Generals (Valley Baseball League)
Brant Blaylock - New Market Rebels (Valley Baseball League)
Sean Tweedy - Acadiana Cane Cutters (Texas Collegiate League)
Alex Nelms - Acadiana Cane Cutters (Texas Collegiate League)
Storme Cooper - Acadiana Cane Cutters (Texas Collegiate League)
Fred Franklin - Acadiana Cane Cutters (Texas Collegiate League)
Will McGillis - Bellingham Bells (West Coast League)
Ryan Och - Bellingham Bells (West Coast League)
Matt Wallner - USA Collegiate Team
Cody Carroll - Wareham Gatemen (Cape Cod League)

Schedule

The only games that are set in stone is State in Starkville from Feb. 23-25 (2nd weekend of the year). Caillet posted on the CollegeBaseball360 scheduling board that he was looking for home guarantee series on the 1st weekend and 4th weekend ... so look for cupcakes those weekends. 3rd weekend is the only ? as that’s usually the week we join a tournament or do a H/H.

Midweeks ... we should host Alabama and Ole Miss. Magee was on the Eagle Hour and said that they were working on a deal to play a game at MGM. I get the feeling that the ULL midweek series this season was a one-time so I wouldn’t expect us to return that.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 12:27 AM by BeagleUSM.)
06-03-2018 06:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eaglenjxn Offline
All American

RE: 2018-19 offseason baseball thread
What happened with Jaylon Keys? I did not get to watch much of the early part of the season. It seemed really strange that he goes from being not only a starter the first few games but leading things off, hits fairly well, and then he’s benched. Obviously, Montenegro played great in that spot and I heard Keys had some defensive issues but I was surprised we didn’t see more of him in pinch hitting/running/midweek starting roles.

If you had to take a stab at it, what’s our rotation next year?

Do we finally get Wallner out of center?

And also on Wallner, we need to either commit something to developing him as a pitcher or stop using him on the mound. Any chance we actually invest time and effort into it or do we keep running him out there and telling him to throw hard?
06-03-2018 06:53 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(06-03-2018 06:53 PM)eaglenjxn Wrote:  What happened with Jaylon Keys? I did not get to watch much of the early part of the season. It seemed really strange that he goes from being not only a starter the first few games but leading things off, hits fairly well, and then he’s benched. Obviously, Montenegro played great in that spot and I heard Keys had some defensive issues but I was surprised we didn’t see more of him in pinch hitting/running/midweek starting roles.

If you had to take a stab at it, what’s our rotation next year?

Do we finally get Wallner out of center?

And also on Wallner, we need to either commit something to developing him as a pitcher or stop using him on the mound. Any chance we actually invest time and effort into it or do we keep running him out there and telling him to throw hard?

I think Keys kinda struggled out the gates and then Montenegro came on. Not much to it. But Berry was talking up Keys pretty good before the season.

Really tough to say about the rotation. Wallner didn’t pitch at all in the fall because they were worried about his hip. Just didn’t have many reps at all. It’ll be interesting to see if the USA team uses him on the mound. I think he could be a rotation guy with a summer and fall to improve his secondary stuff.

The other candidates .... Warren is a lefty that is 90+ so he’s an option. But there’s a pretty decent chance he doesn’t make it here. Have to assume that Powers and Powell will be in the mix as well.

Don’t know if Wallner will get out of center. Montenegro could move there I guess.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2018 11:37 PM by BeagleUSM.)
06-03-2018 07:42 PM
Yu-Es-Em Offline
Bench Warmer

Somehow I have already forgotten about today’s loss, and am already pretty excited about next year. I think there’s something wrong with me.

Great info Beag, why don’t you post these over on BGN? I’m sure everyone would appreciate it.
06-03-2018 11:25 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

We need a lot more than just pitching too. The lineup was completely dull in the final two games of that regional.
06-04-2018 07:46 AM
eaglenjxn Offline
All American

(06-04-2018 07:46 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  We need a lot more than just pitching too. The lineup was completely dull in the final two games of that regional.

I don’t disagree here.

That said, I think you can tie the hitting back to the pitching in the case of the Arkansas game. When a National seed hangs up a 7-spot in the second inning in front of 10K, you’re going to be shellshocked. Your approach at the plate changes and you try to do too much. For others, it may be demoralizing. While I get that leadership should keep everyone focused, it is inevitable that some will struggle to respond to going down that big. And it’s also disheartening to see that if you battle back, your pitching can’t keep the other team off the scoreboard.
06-04-2018 11:39 AM
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

(06-04-2018 07:46 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  We need a lot more than just pitching too. The lineup was completely dull in the final two games of that regional.

I tried keeping up as much as possible but missed some information somewhere at season's end. What ever happened with Weirich not pitching at all down the stretch run as he was in street clothes for the CUSA-T. Also, what was the extent of Adam Jackson's injury as he was out for regionals and Weirich was back in. Thanks
06-04-2018 11:53 AM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb...aft-v-3-0/

6. New York Mets – Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha HS (WI)
We think this is Kelenic or Florida third baseman Jonathan India, with late and hard momentum to Kelenic here for slightly below slot. If for some reason Mize doesn’t go No. 1 and goes at No. 3, that means Bohm is here, and they may prefer him to Kelenic, and it sounds like they do prefer him to India. They’ve been tied to some upside prep names in the second round like New York prep righty Lenny Torres, and they have been mentioned with Southern Miss righty Nick Sandlin in the third.
06-04-2018 12:08 PM
eagle04 Offline
All American

(06-03-2018 06:34 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  Let's get this started. The draft is tomorrow.

Draft

I could see Sandlin being taken as early as the 3rd round and as late as the 7th. I haven't seen as many predictions on Reynolds but if I had to guess he'll go somewhere in the 8-12 round range. Watch out for the Cubs and Reynolds. They interviewed him before the season and we’re recording his at-bats at a game earlier this season. I would be very surprised if either came back.

If I had to guess, Slater is the only other junior that could be taken in the draft. If he’s picked, it’d probably be after the 30th round. He should be back in Hattiesburg in 2019.

Seniors ... some team will probably take a chance on Keating. He has several holes in his game, but has size, speed, and power. Boyd is a guy that could be drafted really late or could go undrafted and sign a free agent deal (like Hadley last year).

Signees ... the only signee that I'm really confident in being taken in the draft is Brooks Warren. He’s a LHP from ECCC and is on Perfect Game’s top 500 prospect list. Baseball America describes him as “a lefty with an 89-91 mph fastball and a decent slider.” Could potentially figure in the rotation if he makes it to campus.

The other 2 guys I’m sorta watching are Brant Blaylock and Tyler Stuart. Blaylock had a mammoth year in the JUCOs, but didn’t do well in 2017 at State. I didn’t think Stuart was a draftable guy, but there was an article in his local paper that made it sound like some team could possibly take him late. He’s a 88-90 RHP out of Herscher, IL. Big dude (6’8). If either is drafted, it’d be late.

Roster

We had 36 players in the program this season. 6 graduated. 2 will be draft casualties. We are adding 15 players in this class (though there’s a potential draft casualty in there), and there’s a chance we could add 1 or 2 more. But let’s say the class stays at 15 and Warren makes it to campus. That’s 43 players total left .... which means there will be a couple guys cut. Trevin Eubanks already left. Jaylon Keys won’t return. That gets you down to 41. Means 4-6 players will have to leave. There’s also a pitcher that I think could transfer.

I didn’t include Colt Smith as a graduate, because I’d lean toward him being back next year.

Not even going to bother with the projected lineup or rotation, because we don’t know what’s going to happen with the draft or what the staff is going to with a few players. McGillis (3B, SS, or OF .... I’ve heard all 3 are possibilities), Blaylock (primarily a pitcher or will they let him hit as well?), and Wallner (will the staff try to mold him into a guy that could crack the rotation?).

Summer Ball

Here are the summer league assignments that I've found over the past few weeks and months. Probably missing a few, but here’s what I got:

Erick Hoard - Ocean State Waves (NECBL)
Stevie Powers - Ocean State Waves (NECBL)
Cole Donaldson - Ocean State Waves (NECBL)
Bryant Bowen - Upper Valley Nighthawks (NECBL)
Jacob Weirich - Waynesboro Generals (Valley Baseball League)
Gabe Montenegro - Waynesboro Generals (Valley Baseball League)
Sean Tweedy - Acadiana Cane Cutters (Texas Collegiate League)
Adam Jackson - Acadiana Cane Cutters (Texas Collegiate League)
Storme Cooper - Acadiana Cane Cutters (Texas Collegiate League)
Fred Franklin - Acadiana Cane Cutters (Texas Collegiate League)
Will McGillis - Bellingham Bells (West Coast League)
Ryan Och - Bellingham Bells (West Coast League)
Matt Wallner - USA Collegiate Team
Cody Carroll - Wareham Gatemen (Cape Cod League)

Schedule

The only games that are set in stone is State in Starkville from Feb. 23-25 (2nd weekend of the year). Caillet posted on the CollegeBaseball360 scheduling board that he was looking for home guarantee series on the 1st weekend and 4th weekend ... so look for cupcakes those weekends. 3rd weekend is the only ? as that’s usually the week we join a tournament or do a H/H.

Midweeks ... we should host Alabama and Ole Miss. Magee was on the Eagle Hour and said that they were working on a deal to play a game at MGM. I get the feeling that the ULL midweek series this season was a one-time so I wouldn’t expect us to return that.

Who do you think the pitcher could be?

Any ideas on who may get cut or transfer? Gotta thin the herd somehow.
06-04-2018 01:30 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

Good info Beagle...Keep up the good work.
06-04-2018 02:21 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(06-04-2018 01:30 PM)eagle04 Wrote:  Any ideas on who may get cut or transfer? Gotta thin the herd somehow.

Hayes and Mikell could go. Both barely pitched. Hoard and Franklin both complained on Twitter about lack of playing time, so that’s an option as well.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2018 05:05 PM by BeagleUSM.)
06-04-2018 04:14 PM
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

(06-04-2018 04:14 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  
(06-04-2018 01:30 PM)eagle04 Wrote:  Any ideas on who may get cut or transfer? Gotta thin the herd somehow.

Hayes and Mikell could go. Both barely pitched. Hoard and Franklin both complained on Twitter about lack of playing time, so that an option as well.

I have that feeling about Franklin but think he might stick around possibly with Irby graduating as well as "if" Wallner is groomed to be more of a pitcher next year as that opens up 2 outfield spots but not taking into account of new players coming in. Too many intangibles I realize but just my thinking.
06-04-2018 04:25 PM
Mxeagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southern miss
Who will play third and short stop?
06-04-2018 06:48 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(06-04-2018 06:48 PM)Mxeagle Wrote:  Who will play third and short stop?

Depends on what they do with McGillis. He played SS in HS, but he’s pretty big, so he may be better suited for 3B. His summer team has him playing there. I also heard that the staff has kicked around the idea of having him in the OF.

If McGillis is at 3B, I think Jacob Edwards (ECCC transfer) and Storme Cooper battle it out at SS.
06-04-2018 07:09 PM
eaglenjxn Offline
All American

Looks like the draft just started. Swaggerty from USA goes #10.

The first five picks were college players. I suspect is the first time in a long time (if not ever) that this has happened.

Edit: The insanely loaded 2006 class was the last time. That included Brad Lincoln from Houston at 4 (after Hochevar, Longoria, and another guy). That class also included Andrew Miller, Kershaw, Lincecum, Scherzer in the top 11.

Another interesting thing is how small the top position players are in this class.
Madrigal from Oregon State is 5'7 and goes 4th. Kyler Murray is 5'11. Swaggerty is 5'11 and 175. A couple of the high school kids are 6'1. Not many 6'3/220+ monsters.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2018 07:31 PM by eaglenjxn.)
06-04-2018 07:13 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

Some will probably scold me for this, but for us to say there’s a battle at a position with Storme Cooper says a lot about the state of our talent. Great defense. Poor bat.
06-04-2018 09:48 PM
Advertisement

BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

$940k value. Really looking forward to following his pro career.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2018 10:51 PM by BeagleUSM.)
06-04-2018 10:34 PM
eaglenjxn Offline
All American

(06-04-2018 10:34 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  $940k value. Really looking forward to following his pro career.

Congrats to Nick. That’s a hell of an accomplishment.
06-05-2018 05:39 AM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

Kiley McDaniel (Fangraphs) thinks Sandlin could make the bigs within a year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-draft-chat/

Hojo: Any early guesses as to who makes it to MLB within a year? Like Bregman from his class, etc

Kiley McDaniel: Nick Sandlin, RHP, Southern Miss
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2018 03:26 PM by BeagleUSM.)
06-05-2018 03:09 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

The 8th round is a little over halfway done and Luke still hasn't been drafted. The dollar value right now is around $163k at the 243rd pick. At what point does Luke decide to possibly come back

8th round now complete and dollar value down to $155k
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2018 04:19 PM by usm99.)
06-05-2018 04:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.