Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Detroit Mercy hires Mike Davis
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Detroit Mercy hires Mike Davis

Not often you see coaching searches last 100 days. Mike Davis has coached a team to a national title game, took a mid-major to an at-large berth, and Texas Southern to 4 NCAA’s in 6 years. This is a home run hire that should’ve happened on Day 10 not Day 100 for the Titans.

He’ll be bringing his 4* son with him who just decommitted from Houston. Apparently a couple top JuCo transfers are part of the package.

If Davis gets Detroit going, do they become an A10 or MVC candidate?
06-05-2018 11:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: Detroit Mercy hires Mike Davis
All of our top prospects get taken away.

Great hire by Detroit. It's a place that needs to hire a black coach or someone that can relate to black students.
06-06-2018 12:33 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(06-05-2018 11:04 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  If Davis gets Detroit going, do they become an A10 or MVC candidate?

They unfortunately suffer from their location and worse yet aren't a big state university like Wayne State.

I could perhaps see them in the Valley one day but unless the A-10 becomes the CAA, Detroit has more or less peaked.
06-06-2018 12:41 AM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(06-06-2018 12:33 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  All of our top prospects get taken away.

Great hire by Detroit. It's a place that needs to hire a black coach or someone that can relate to black students.

Why? U of Detroit is 84% white. Its a Jesuit college, like Georgetown, Marquette and Xavier. The color of the coach's skin is irrelevant. They need a promoter who can fannies in their 10,000 seat on-campus arena. Plus, they need a guy who can recruit to an urban school. It doesn't matter if the coach is black, white or yellow. The program has fallen apart since the days of Dick Vitale as coach and they need someone that can put it back together.

I am a firm believer that a school needs to recruit the type of kids that mirror the general student body. If your student body is a bunch of suburban kids, that is where you should recruit. If your student body is a bunch of part time kids or first time college kids, then look to the urban public schools are your recruiting base.
06-06-2018 10:39 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Pretty crazy Wayne state isn’t d1 school
06-06-2018 10:58 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(06-06-2018 10:39 AM)MU88 Wrote:  
(06-06-2018 12:33 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  All of our top prospects get taken away.

Why? U of Detroit is 84% white. Its a Jesuit college, like Georgetown, Marquette and Xavier. The color of the coach's skin is irrelevant. They need a promoter who can fannies in their 10,000 seat on-campus arena. Plus, they need a guy who can recruit to an urban school. It doesn't matter if the coach is black, white or yellow. The program has fallen apart since the days of Dick Vitale as coach and they need someone that can put it back together.

I am a firm believer that a school needs to recruit the type of kids that mirror the general student body. If your student body is a bunch of suburban kids, that is where you should recruit. If your student body is a bunch of part time kids or first time college kids, then look to the urban public schools are your recruiting base.

Many, if not most of their recruiting prospects are urban Midwestern and especially Detroit recruits. They need a voice to reach them, which explains a number of their past coaches, such as Ray McCallum.

While any good coach will do, a good black coach doesn't hurt for certain in a situation like that.
06-06-2018 12:32 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

Things are getting crazy at Detroit again

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/2018/...677493002/

Quote:A source familiar with Davis' thinking told the Free Press that media reports of him taking the job were premature. Texas Southern's board of regents are in the process of trying to keep Davis on campus with a better financial package, the source said.

The source also said Davis will likely leave the program and take the job at UDM if he doesn't receive the compensation he's looking for. If TSU comes up with the money, he's likely to stay.

UDM has been without a coach since Barcari Alexander was fired on March 26 after a tumultuous season that included making a vulgar gesture to a player.

Texas Southern announced Davis left for Detroit Mercy. Apparently it wasn’t a done deal. Now they’re trying to woo him back.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2018 07:49 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
06-06-2018 07:48 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(06-06-2018 07:48 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Things are getting crazy at Detroit again

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/2018/...677493002/

Quote:A source familiar with Davis' thinking told the Free Press that media reports of him taking the job were premature. Texas Southern's board of regents are in the process of trying to keep Davis on campus with a better financial package, the source said.

The source also said Davis will likely leave the program and take the job at UDM if he doesn't receive the compensation he's looking for. If TSU comes up with the money, he's likely to stay.

UDM has been without a coach since Barcari Alexander was fired on March 26 after a tumultuous season that included making a vulgar gesture to a player.

Texas Southern announced Davis left for Detroit Mercy. Apparently it wasn’t a done deal. Now they’re trying to woo him back.

This is the same Texas Southern that sold out their entire 13-game OOC to buy games? Because while it'd be great for the program if they could keep him around, how can they afford it?
06-06-2018 08:06 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Davis has a good thing at TSU. It's a really good fit from a number of perspectives for him. Going back to Detroit would be like UAB except worse. It'd be harder to recruit (he at least gets some big conference rejects at TSU) and the quality of life in urban or even suburban Detroit would suck compared to urban Houston (it's easier to get away from Houston's urban blight). He could faintly hope to compete for the Final Four at UDM but the reality is that he'd make the the NCAA'a far less often as the Horizon is worlds better than the SWAC.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2018 08:13 PM by C2__.)
06-06-2018 08:13 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

Texas Southern’s website as they renegotiate with Davis

[Image: DfDCC-_XkAAJGwV.jpg]
06-06-2018 08:19 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(06-06-2018 08:13 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Davis has a good thing at TSU. It's a really good fit from a number of perspectives for him. Going back to Detroit would be like UAB except worse. It'd be harder to recruit (he at least gets some big conference rejects at TSU) and the quality of life in urban or even suburban Detroit would suck compared to urban Houston (it's easier to get away from Houston's urban blight). He could faintly hope to compete for the Final Four at UDM but the reality is that he'd make the the NCAA'a far less often as the Horizon is worlds better than the SWAC.

This.

TSU has very little cash, as they played their entire non-conference schedule last year on the road for paychecks. However, if they can somehow get in the same ballpark on money as Detroit Mercy, Davis might just stay. He can be king of the mountain in the SWAC.

His son has already been released from his commitment to UH, so that will be up in the air if Davis decides to stay.
06-06-2018 08:33 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Loyola just made the Final Four, and Butler did 7/8 years ago. Detroit is not a far stretch of the imagination, as institutionally, they are quite similar. Davis has experience in the Midwest; he'll be fine whatever he chooses to do.
06-06-2018 09:02 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(06-06-2018 09:02 PM)esayem Wrote:  Loyola just made the Final Four, and Butler did 7/8 years ago. Detroit is not a far stretch of the imagination, as institutionally, they are quite similar. Davis has experience in the Midwest; he'll be fine whatever he chooses to do.

Detroit is in Detroit. The others aren't in such an urban wasteland. Detroit has some history but it's not illustrious. They could make the Final Four but so could 100 other schools.
06-07-2018 12:21 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(06-07-2018 12:21 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(06-06-2018 09:02 PM)esayem Wrote:  Loyola just made the Final Four, and Butler did 7/8 years ago. Detroit is not a far stretch of the imagination, as institutionally, they are quite similar. Davis has experience in the Midwest; he'll be fine whatever he chooses to do.

Detroit is in Detroit. The others aren't in such an urban wasteland. Detroit has some history but it's not illustrious. They could make the Final Four but so could 100 other schools.

Detroit actually has a pretty solid sports entertainment area. Davis might be able to use his connections to get MSU or some othe big name to play them in the Pistons place, which I like to call “Little Caesar’s Palace”.
06-07-2018 07:17 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

The ranking school in that area is Oakland. They already have gotten some big names to play them in Auburn Hills.

Detroit gets a bad rap in suburban Detroit, fair or not.
06-07-2018 02:06 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

Texas Southern has now removed the page on their website thanking Mike Davis and an article listing his accomplishments. Their twitter deleted the AD’s public announcement of Mike Davis telling him he took Detroit’s offer and that a national search begins immediately.

Detroit and Mike Davis remain mute.

There’s been situations where a coach has reneged the day after. But has there been one where the coach informed the school he’s leaving, the school publicly announced and mourned him, when the coach hadn’t even signed the contract yet? This is a trainwreck.
06-10-2018 04:36 AM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Wouldn't be shocked to see Jermaine Jackson end up getting the Detroit job at this point. Odd search to begin with. We are in June (one of the biggest months for coaches), and Detroit was still without a head coach. Chicago State is the other head scratcher, although given their history and additional woes, that is no surprise at all.
06-10-2018 11:27 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
rick pitino to u Detroit Rimshot05-stirthepot
06-10-2018 09:14 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Jermaine Jackson? What, Tito or Jackie aren't available?
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2018 01:40 AM by C2__.)
06-10-2018 09:22 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2018 09:22 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Jermaine Jackson? What, Tito or Jackie aren't available.

It’s a package deal. Janet’s in charge of the team’s wardrobe collection.
06-11-2018 01:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.