Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: CUSA the latest conference to make deal with ESPN+
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
OT: CUSA the latest conference to make deal with ESPN+
I hope we don't have any of our games shown here in any new deals.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea...s-on-espn/
06-07-2018 11:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Texas
RE: OT: CUSA the latest conference to make deal with ESPN+
Unfortunately, it's probably inevitable. For CUSA, it is basically replacing our own conference network. As ESPN phases out ESPN3, the AAC will either have to go big with it's own digital network or give in to this awful ESPN+ business.
06-07-2018 02:28 PM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
(06-07-2018 11:46 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I hope we don't have any of our games shown here in any new deals.

Tulsa will somehow get put on there lol. Espn3 to espn +

Espn + the home of Tulsa football
06-07-2018 03:06 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(06-07-2018 02:28 PM)Magic95Fan Wrote:  Unfortunately, it's probably inevitable. For CUSA, it is basically replacing our own conference network. As ESPN phases out ESPN3, the AAC will either have to go big with it's own digital network or give in to this awful ESPN+ business.

I suspect ESPN+ will be the home of all the AAC sports (plus events currently not televised at all) we currently see on ESPN3 as part of our next TV deal.
06-07-2018 03:15 PM
KnightLife Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCF
Dan Wolken
‏Verified account @DanWolken
6m6 minutes ago

ESPN rolling out all these rights deals with C-USA, Sun Belt, etc. The big pressure point I’m interested in is with the AAC, which has had lots of internal TV deal meetings this year and is under big pressure from its schools to get more money this time around.
06-07-2018 03:34 PM
Advertisement

goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
(06-07-2018 03:06 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  
(06-07-2018 11:46 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I hope we don't have any of our games shown here in any new deals.

I almost didn’t reply because I was sure this was a troll post, so good work, you got me. If this isn’t a troll post, you’re quite possibly a dumb***.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2018 05:06 PM by goldenhurricane2.)
06-07-2018 05:05 PM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
(06-07-2018 05:05 PM)goldenhurricane2 Wrote:  
(06-07-2018 03:06 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  

I almost didn’t reply because I was sure this was a troll post, so good work, you got me. If this isn’t a troll post, you’re quite possibly a dumb***.

it was in fact a joke post good sir.04-cheers
06-07-2018 05:24 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(06-07-2018 02:28 PM)Magic95Fan Wrote:  Unfortunately, it's probably inevitable. For CUSA, it is basically replacing our own conference network. As ESPN phases out ESPN3, the AAC will either have to go big with it's own digital network or give in to this awful ESPN+ business.

Awww, you lil g4ers are so cute! Just want to pinch your lil cheeks. . .

Currently ESPN sells our inventory to other networks, or there isn't much on ESPN 3 for football or basketball to try and move. Certainly nothing for ESPN to pay extra for that will bring in profit from added ESPN+ subscriptions. So you won't be seeing any AAC content on ESPN+ till that contract is up.

Reading the tea leaves (Navy on CBS sports as a tent pole, Navy vs Notre Dame on CBS, NBC turning down live inventory, CBS sports buying our product at a mark up from ESPN, ESPN selling our content) it is likely to maximize money the AAC will be going to open market where 3 different buyers are showing interest with ESPN lagging far behind NBC and CBS for offer and content need. ESPN will pick up anything they think will return them good value but the AAC is most likely going to sell the majority of it's inventory to NBC and CBS at more than what ESPN will be willing to spend. It is likely one of these networks or one of the FAANG companies will hold our digital broadcast rights.

It is doubtful you will ever see AAC content on ESPN+ and almost guaranteed no major sport such as football, men and women's basketball will be on there.

Currently the ESPN 3 games for the AAC appear to be almost entirely the FCS match ups.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2018 06:26 PM by TU4ever.)
06-07-2018 06:24 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Yeah, I wouldn't be so quick to rule out +, Aresco has said he isn't opposed and figures any ESPN pitch will include it. If they are willing to pay up for all rights, then I'm sure the presidents would agree if the money is right and linear placements are protected. Frankly, it'd be better exposure for family, friends and fans to watch oly sports. It'd have to be a pretty lucrative deal though to satisfy what the schools are looking for to keep them from exploring open market bidding...imo
06-07-2018 06:36 PM
Advertisement

TU4ever Offline
All American

Again, just following what the indicators are.

ESPN was outbid or chose to pass on extra Navy inventory this year. So they could have added that content to ESPN+ and it would probably have allowed navy to play the games at the time they want.

Several schools have already upgraded streaming production indicating the schools are at least prepping to take third tier and streaming rights back.

It won't happen until this tv contract is up either way because of the current contract and value of product.
06-07-2018 07:00 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF

Who has said ESPN+ is phasing out ESPN3. I thought those were separate entities.
06-07-2018 08:57 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(06-07-2018 08:57 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

Who has said ESPN+ is phasing out ESPN3. I thought those were separate entities.

They are separate entities for now, but ESPN just moved about 70 percent of its fall ESPN3 content to ESPN+ over the last couple months. It's going to happen. It won't happen this year because the AAC won't budge on the issue, but that is going to be a major sticking point in the next TV deal for you guys. ESPN is going to want to dump all of your 3rd tier and online rights to Plus, and the question is will your schools let them, or will you insist on keeping those rights for yourselves and just provide your own video of stuff that's not picked up for TV?
06-07-2018 11:50 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(06-07-2018 07:00 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  Again, just following what the indicators are.

ESPN was outbid or chose to pass on extra Navy inventory this year. So they could have added that content to ESPN+ and it would probably have allowed navy to play the games at the time they want.

Several schools have already upgraded streaming production indicating the schools are at least prepping to take third tier and streaming rights back.

It won't happen until this tv contract is up either way because of the current contract and value of product.

Im not seeing what your seeing. If you listened to the Aresco and read the reports---signing with CBS-Sports was Navys call. It was about guaranteeing Saturday start times and exposure. While ESPN+ would give them the flexibility on start times---no way Navy was trading national linear TV for a fledgling start-up streaming subscription service. If the AAC ends up with content on ESPN+ (which I think they will), it wont be first or second tier content. It will be the same kind of stuff we have on ESPN3 right now--plus some additional non-revenue content like baseball, softball, women's basketball, soccer, etc. Navy didnt want their flagship sport on ESPN+...which is completely understandable. ESPN would have had to offer a ridiculous amount of money for Navy to make that move---and even then it probably would have been counterproductive for Navy since the academy sports programs are really more about recruiting for the armed services than they are about making money.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 12:05 AM by Attackcoog.)
06-08-2018 12:03 AM
Advertisement

TU4ever Offline
All American

(06-08-2018 12:03 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-07-2018 07:00 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  Again, just following what the indicators are.

Im not seeing what your seeing. If you listened to the Aresco and read the reports---signing with CBS-Sports was Navys call. It was about guaranteeing Saturday start times and exposure. While ESPN+ would give them the flexibility on start times---no way Navy was trading national linear TV for a fledgling start-up streaming subscription service. If the AAC ends up with content on ESPN+ (which I think they will), it wont be first or second tier content. It will be the same kind of stuff we have on ESPN3 right now--plus some additional non-revenue content like baseball, softball, women's basketball, soccer, etc. Navy didnt want their flagship sport on ESPN+...which is completely understandable. ESPN would have had to offer a ridiculous amount of money for Navy to make that move---and even then it probably would have been counterproductive for Navy since the academy sports programs are really more about recruiting for the armed services than they are about making money.

The navy inventory was offered to ESPN, originally so it could be rolled in to our current package. ESPN passed or was outbid by CBS sports. Either leads to the conclusion that are rights are more valuable to CBS sports then to ESPN. Navy's inventory was part of the AAC package beginning this year. The conference decides what happens to it's inventory not Navy. Separately Navy signed a CBS sports deal for some Olympic sports that don't fall under the AAC. Perhaps both deals being released at once led to your confusion?

Had ESPN+ wanted they could have bid higher, either high enough to make game time changes possible or enough and the time slot. They did not. ESPN has a set price in mind it is willing to pay for the product. CBS sports has repeatedly shown they value our inventory more.

Navy had some say in the deal as all schools do about their individual needs but that was a conference decision and the money will be shared out as such.

ESPN3 is not going away. It will be the digital carrier for ESPN family of sports television. ESPN+ is an add on package with exclusive content you can only get by having ESPN package already and paying the extra amount for the ESPN+ package. Often when you enter a night club you pay a cover to enter the door. If you want in the VIP section a table fee is charged. ESPN+ is the VIP table in the example.

CBS or NBC need online content as well as ESPN and likely will want streaming right as a sweetner. More so the online services want it too. The indication is ESPN is not currently ready to pay market value for AAC product. Since multiple bidders tend to drive the cost up it is unlikely that ESPN will be willing to pay and someone else will be picking up our rights. Add in the fact that they have already signed CUSA and the Belt content to ESPN+ it appears that they do not have an immediate need for more inventory. Not that they wouldn't accquire it, just that it is not vital. NBC appears to be running low on live content and has previously shown interest. CBS already buys our inventory at a mark up. Aresco has repeatedly emphasized that we are looking at streaming providers.

The advantage of extending with ESPN is fast closing:

The added bump already from the AAC Navy inventory going to CBS sports probably encourages the open market as we have a baseline for open market value.

Aresco has become neutral at best in his interviews and comments on ESPN. Meanwhile he is walking around constantly dropping hints that big money is in the future. This would indicate along with CBS currently purchasing our inventory through ESPN and snatching up the Navy property that ESPN is not considered a strong possibility anymore.

When you add in things like the value of third tier rights for UConn, the Florida schools, etc in regional markets it seems unlikely that ESPN moves on our content. ESPN can move other conferences to the weeknight games and would need to have 3rd choice of games or better to make the return from AAC games noticably different then CUSA or Sunbelt's 1st choices which they have control of already.

The schools having updated their streaming capabilities also means the schools or the AAC can keep complete control of their digital content if they want.

Again you will not be seeing any content on ESPN+ for the current contract and it is appearing doubtful you will in the future as ESPN appears not to be a player in the next media contracts.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 02:13 PM by TU4ever.)
06-08-2018 02:11 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(06-08-2018 02:11 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  

The navy inventory was offered to ESPN, originally so it could be rolled in to our current package. ESPN passed or was outbid by CBS sports. Either leads to the conclusion that are rights are more valuable to CBS sports then to ESPN. Navy's inventory was part of the AAC package beginning this year. The conference decides what happens to it's inventory not Navy. Separately Navy signed a CBS sports deal for some Olympic sports that don't fall under the AAC. Perhaps both deals being released at once led to your confusion?

Had ESPN+ wanted they could have bid higher, either high enough to make game time changes possible or enough and the time slot. They did not. ESPN has a set price in mind it is willing to pay for the product. CBS sports has repeatedly shown they value our inventory more.

Navy had some say in the deal as all schools do about their individual needs but that was a conference decision and the money will be shared out as such.

ESPN3 is not going away. It will be the digital carrier for ESPN family of sports television. ESPN+ is an add on package with exclusive content you can only get by having ESPN package already and paying the extra amount for the ESPN+ package. Often when you enter a night club you pay a cover to enter the door. If you want in the VIP section a table fee is charged. ESPN+ is the VIP table in the example.

CBS or NBC need online content as well as ESPN and likely will want streaming right as a sweetner. More so the online services want it too. The indication is ESPN is not currently ready to pay market value for AAC product. Since multiple bidders tend to drive the cost up it is unlikely that ESPN will be willing to pay and someone else will be picking up our rights. Add in the fact that they have already signed CUSA and the Belt content to ESPN+ it appears that they do not have an immediate need for more inventory. Not that they wouldn't accquire it, just that it is not vital. NBC appears to be running low on live content and has previously shown interest. CBS already buys our inventory at a mark up. Aresco has repeatedly emphasized that we are looking at streaming providers.

The added bump already from the AAC Navy inventory going to CBS sports probably encourages the open market as we have a baseline for open market value.

Aresco has become neutral at best in his interviews and comments on ESPN. Meanwhile he is walking around constantly dropping hints that big money is in the future. This would indicate along with CBS currently purchasing our inventory through ESPN and snatching up the Navy property that ESPN is not considered a strong possibility anymore.

When you add in things like the value of third tier rights for UConn, the Florida schools, etc in regional markets it seems unlikely that ESPN moves on our content. ESPN can move other conferences to the weeknight games and would need to have 3rd choice of games or better to make the return from AAC games noticably different then CUSA or Sunbelt's 1st choices which they have control of already.

The schools having updated their streaming capabilities also means the schools or the AAC can keep complete control of their digital content if they want.

Again you will not be seeing any content on ESPN+ for the current contract and it is appearing doubtful you will in the future as ESPN appears not to be a player in the next media contracts.

That entire paragraph is either speculation or entirely incorrect. Again---listen to the inteviews and read the articles. Navy was given full control over thier rights as part of the deal bringing them to the conference. Yes, the money they make is thrown into the shared AAC pot of money---but the final decision over who gets their games and when they can be shown was allowed to remain with Navy.

Its speculation as to whether ESPN was outbid. I think they probably were outbid---but its very possible the Navy home games played only on Saturday afternoons were simply not all that attractive to ESPN (who has a ton of other options on Saturday afternoons). Its very possible ESPN was willing to pay much more for Navy games---but would want some of them played at times other than Saturday afternoon.

We will see how it plays out, but I'd be shocked if ESPN is not a significant part of out media package in the new deal (perhaps even the primary partner along with NBC). 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 06:06 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-08-2018 06:04 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(06-08-2018 06:04 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

That entire paragraph is either speculation or entirely incorrect. Again---listen to the inteviews and read the articles. Navy was given full control over thier rights as part of the deal bringing them to the conference. Yes, the money they make is thrown into the shared AAC pot of money---but the final decision over who gets their games and when they can be shown was allowed to remain with Navy.

Its speculation as to whether ESPN was outbid. I think they probably were outbid---but its very possible the Navy home games played only on Saturday afternoons were simply not all that attractive to ESPN (who has a ton of other options on Saturday afternoons). Its very possible ESPN was willing to pay much more for Navy games---but would want some of them played at times other than Saturday afternoon.

We will see how it plays out, but I'd be shocked if ESPN is not a significant part of out media package in the new deal (perhaps even the primary partner along with NBC). 04-cheers

No, Navy kept control of the money and rights to Army game and was promised to be made whole if they didn't make enough money from the move, otherwise at the experation of their current media contract the inventory is the conference's.

Why do you think there was so much talk of the value of the ND game? Or why people freaked out about the cbssports deal for their home games? This year's ND game is controlled through the last contract option. Next year it like all Navy home games excluding Army is controlled by the AAC who sold them to CBS sports except for the ND home game which the conference kept with the rest of the money. We discussed it on the board here:
https ://csnbbs.com/thread-849638.html

Fifth post:

Quote:KNIGHTTIME Wrote:
So it sounds like navy's deal will be separate from the AAC deal coming soon. So they only get 11 teams with the bigger deal. My guess is Navy gets to keep all the money from thee Navy Army game and splits the the portion of the CBS deal with the AAC. Just my guess...
Quote:slhNavy91 Wrote:
All the verbiage says Navy's NMCMS home games are (post-2017) part of the AAC inventory.

That's why Aresco AAC was part of the announcement. You could make the argument that Navy was part of the announcement because it ALSO included other Navy sports (Basketball, lacrosse, etc) that aren't part of the AAC inventory.

Head scratcher that Navy inventory was a la carte and wasn't part of the bigger AAC deal to be negotiated but CBS does love us - a big number for 10 years hard for AAC/Aresco to walk away from, I'm sure.

It was assumed by many on the board that the property would go to ESPN as part of the AAC deal. ESPN's contact was a match to the NBC contract that did not include the Navy inventory. Aresco sold that. Navy is happy it will be centered on Saturday games, which CBS sports had already been doing with the Navy games. Navy did not make the deal with CBS sports for football, the conference did which is why it was a conference announcement. Navy also announced that with the rights it does control (Olympic sports) it also signed a companion deal for CBS sports.

ESPN either chose not to bid or was out bid. Either way it is a negative sign of their interest in our inventory or at our price.
06-08-2018 08:01 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(06-08-2018 08:01 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  

No, Navy kept control of the money and rights to Army game and was promised to be made whole if they didn't make enough money from the move, otherwise at the experation of their current media contract the inventory is the conference's.

Why do you think there was so much talk of the value of the ND game? Or why people freaked out about the cbssports deal for their home games? This year's ND game is controlled through the last contract option. Next year it like all Navy home games excluding Army is controlled by the AAC who sold them to CBS sports except for the ND home game which the conference kept with the rest of the money. We discussed it on the board here:

Fifth post:

So it sounds like navy's deal will be separate from the AAC deal coming soon. So they only get 11 teams with the bigger deal. My guess is Navy gets to keep all the money from thee Navy Army game and splits the the portion of the CBS deal with the AAC. Just my guess...
All the verbiage says Navy's NMCMS home games are (post-2017) part of the AAC inventory.

That's why Aresco AAC was part of the announcement. You could make the argument that Navy was part of the announcement because it ALSO included other Navy sports (Basketball, lacrosse, etc) that aren't part of the AAC inventory.

Head scratcher that Navy inventory was a la carte and wasn't part of the bigger AAC deal to be negotiated but CBS does love us - a big number for 10 years hard for AAC/Aresco to walk away from, I'm sure.

It was assumed by many on the board that the property would go to ESPN as part of the AAC deal. ESPN's contact was a match to the NBC contract that did not include the Navy inventory. Aresco sold that. Navy is happy it will be centered on Saturday games, which CBS sports had already been doing with the Navy games. Navy did not make the deal with CBS sports for football, the conference did which is why it was a conference announcement. Navy also announced that with the rights it does control (Olympic sports) it also signed a companion deal for CBS sports.

ESPN either chose not to bid or was out bid. Either way it is a negative sign of their interest in our inventory or at our price.

It is extremely rare for a conference to allow one of its member schools to negotiate its own separate television contract. Athletic director Chet Gladchuk said such autonomy was a prerequisite to Navy becoming a member of the American Athletic Conference.

“This was all part of the discussions we had with the AAC before we joined,” Gladchuk said. “The importance to the Naval Academy of having home football games on Saturday afternoons cannot be understated. Saturday has been the focal point for Navy football for decades and decades.”

Prior to Navy coming onboard, the American Athletic Conference had agreed to an exclusive broadcast rights contract with ESPN. AAC commissioner Mike Aresco said that deal will expire in 2020, although he left open the possibility an extension could be announced prior to that year.

Gladchuk said Navy had concerns about having its home games as part of an American Athletic Conference contract with ESPN or any other carrier because of the possibility of not having Saturday afternoon kickoffs.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/nav...y,amp.html
06-08-2018 08:27 PM
Advertisement

TU4ever Offline
All American

(06-08-2018 08:27 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-08-2018 12:03 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Im not seeing what your seeing. If you listened to the Aresco and read the reports---signing with CBS-Sports was Navys call. It was about guaranteeing Saturday start times and exposure. While ESPN+ would give them the flexibility on start times---no way Navy was trading national linear TV for a fledgling start-up streaming subscription service. If the AAC ends up with content on ESPN+ (which I think they will), it wont be first or second tier content. It will be the same kind of stuff we have on ESPN3 right now--plus some additional non-revenue content like baseball, softball, women's basketball, soccer, etc. Navy didnt want their flagship sport on ESPN+...which is completely understandable. ESPN would have had to offer a ridiculous amount of money for Navy to make that move---and even then it probably would have been counterproductive for Navy since the academy sports programs are really more about recruiting for the armed services than they are about making money.

Fifth post:

It is extremely rare for a conference to allow one of its member schools to negotiate its own separate television contract. Athletic director Chet Gladchuk said such autonomy was a prerequisite to Navy becoming a member of the American Athletic Conference.

“This was all part of the discussions we had with the AAC before we joined,” Gladchuk said. “The importance to the Naval Academy of having home football games on Saturday afternoons cannot be understated. Saturday has been the focal point for Navy football for decades and decades.”

Prior to Navy coming onboard, the American Athletic Conference had agreed to an exclusive broadcast rights contract with ESPN. AAC commissioner Mike Aresco said that deal will expire in 2020, although he left open the possibility an extension could be announced prior to that year.

Gladchuk said Navy had concerns about having its home games as part of an American Athletic Conference contract with ESPN or any other carrier because of the possibility of not having Saturday afternoon kickoffs.

That the AD brought this up (Saturday games) is not unusual. This contract was announced by the AAC because it is an AAC contract.

We will not be dividing our contract out by standard (A) you get half the football and you get half the basketball and (B)you get the rest. We will be maximising the money by splitting things up as much as we need in whatever way means the most money. We are going ala carte as opposed to selling a meal deal (main course two sides and a drink).

Navy does not have a ND deal, it is not navy does what it wants. The AAC got all the media rights to Navy home games except Army. The realignment threads get dragged into this, I'll let a navy fan find it but we repeatedly have this discussion and it ends the same, the AAC holds the rights to all home games in Navy's home stadium.

The thread link I included has the entire discussion in it. Navy wanted Saturday games. Aresco sold their package at good price with all games on Saturday afternoon. It was a win win for both Navy and the conference. It was easy because CBS has a long term relationship with them and no usually a conference doesn't allow a team to say we only play on Saturday afternoons and than negotiate the deal so they only play on Saturday afternoons. Even Texas doesn't dictate those kind of negotiation terms. That Navy got to demand this is unusual and shows their pull. The deal was still negotiated between the AAC and CBS this is also why I think the schools will be controlling their third tier rights. Such a set up will allow UConn get similar "separate" deals for their women's basketball for example and generate more revenue.

Beyond that you just seem stuck on ESPN. Sorry to be the messenger but their importance is not what it was when they broke up the old big east about 10 years ago, or when they pimped out the ACC in the decade before that. Other people are proving they value our product more than ESPN and need it more. ESPN is bargin shopping CUSA and the Sunbelt, CBSsports is paying extra for us, and NBC is eyeing us, so what do you think is going on?
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 09:47 PM by TU4ever.)
06-08-2018 09:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(06-08-2018 09:45 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  
(06-08-2018 08:27 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-08-2018 02:11 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  The navy inventory was offered to ESPN, originally so it could be rolled in to our current package. ESPN passed or was outbid by CBS sports. Either leads to the conclusion that are rights are more valuable to CBS sports then to ESPN. Navy's inventory was part of the AAC package beginning this year. The conference decides what happens to it's inventory not Navy. Separately Navy signed a CBS sports deal for some Olympic sports that don't fall under the AAC. Perhaps both deals being released at once led to your confusion?

Fifth post:

That the AD brought this up (Saturday games) is not unusual. This contract was announced by the AAC because it is an AAC contract.

We will not be dividing our contract out by standard (A) you get half the football and you get half the basketball and (B)you get the rest. We will be maximising the money by splitting things up as much as we need in whatever way means the most money. We are going ala carte as opposed to selling a meal deal (main course two sides and a drink).

Navy does not have a ND deal, it is not navy does what it wants. The AAC got all the media rights to Navy home games except Army. The realignment threads get dragged into this, I'll let a navy fan find it but we repeatedly have this discussion and it ends the same, the AAC holds the rights to all home games in Navy's home stadium.

The thread link I included has the entire discussion in it. Navy wanted Saturday games. Aresco sold their package at good price with all games on Saturday afternoon. It was a win win for both Navy and the conference. It was easy because CBS has a long term relationship with them and no usually a conference doesn't allow a team to say we only play on Saturday afternoons and than negotiate the deal so they only play on Saturday afternoons. Even Texas doesn't dictate those kind of negotiation terms. That Navy got to demand this is unusual and shows their pull. The deal was still negotiated between the AAC and CBS this is also why I think the schools will be controlling their third tier rights. Such a set up will allow UConn get similar "separate" deals for their women's basketball for example and generate more revenue.

Beyond that you just seem stuck on ESPN. Sorry to be the messenger but their importance is not what it was when they broke up the old big east about 10 years ago, or when they pimped out the ACC in the decade before that. Other people are proving they value our product more than ESPN and need it more. ESPN is bargin shopping CUSA and the Sunbelt, CBSsports is paying extra for us, and NBC is eyeing us, so what do you think is going on?

What Im telling you is Navy has the right to decide where their rights go. The money from those rights is "part of the AAC package" in that it is shared (but only to the extent that the Navy revenue is at least revenue neutral to their indy revenue when they joined the AAC). Think about it----what do you think it means when they said "Navy allowed the Notre Dame game to be part of the AAC package". Let be honest---you never hear anything like that said of any other AAC team. Have you ever heard "Memphis allowed the Memphis-UH game to be part of the AAC package."? That tells you this was a completely different dynamic.

As for ESPN---and how they value the AAC---we will see. Right now the AAC is filling around 25 or so broadcast slots for ESPN. There will be a few more slots opening when the ACC Networks starts (to be clear---not many because the vast majority of ACC Network content is coming from Raycom and other repurchased 3rd tier sources). Regardless, ESPN will still need to fill those 25 slots and a few more when the ACC Network kicks off.

While its true ESPN can just use MAC/Sunbelt/CUSA/MW content to fill those slots--the reality is those ratings have not been anywhere close to AAC ratings. I think ESPN would strongly prefer to fill those slots with AAC teams. That said---they arent going to break the bank to do it.

Thats why I think we will see a strategy similar to the what they employed in the Big-10 negotiation. They will bid big--but not huge. NBC will outbid them for the best content---but NBC doesnt need 65 games. So---we will allow NBC to have first pick each week. In order to keep a second package valuable---ESPN will get the second pick each week---NBC the third, ESPN the fourth--ect. ESPN wont break the bank, because they know we want to be on ESPN---so all they have to do is bid more than CBS-Sports. CBS-Sports will get the left overs and a few #2 or #3 picks over the course of the season so their small 10-12 game package isnt just complete 3rd tier garbage. It will look something like this--

NBC--60 million
ESPN--40 million
CBS-Sports--12 million
ESPN Plus--5 million (a big chunk of which is UConn Womens basketball).

Thats just an example that adds up to almost 10 million a team. Maybe it will be less----say, 35+25+10+2 which is more in the 6 million per team range. Who knows? But thats what I think will end up happening. That gives every network basically what they need in terms of inventory without any one network really taking a big financial risk on a relatively young product. I dont see us going with a Google or a Amazon for the primary or secondary package unless the bid is just ridiculous---and even then----we'd still be adamant that the second tier be on a linear network (which Im sure ESPN would be our preference in that scenario). Its still important to have that linear exposure. Interestingly, just the fear of that "Amazon" scenario is the only reason I could see ESPN departing from a relatively conservative bidding strategy. The concern for ESPN could be that they get nothing---as Amazon would land the #1 package with a ridiculous bid and the #2 package would be won by an aggressive NBC bid. That would leave ESPN fighting with CBS-Sports for the "remaining scraps package". So, if Amazon comes in ridiculous---we could potentially do very well as ESPN would be forced to bid hard against NBC for the #2 package of high quality AAC content.

With solid performance on the field now translating into much higher than expected ratings---the number of of serious bidders will be far higher than in 2013. I think the negotiations are going to be very interesting this time around.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 11:57 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-08-2018 11:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.