Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trump got some more economic news to crow about
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
[Image: 68f4cfcb9013e417bddfc246845eff72]

Trump got some more economic news to crow about. The Federal Reserve reported that household net worth rose by $1 trillion in the first quarter, topping $100 trillion in total for the first time ever. Since Trump took office last year, Americans’ net worth has risen by $7 trillion. And the Labor Department reported that there are now 6.7 million job openings in the United States. There are only 6.6 million unemployed people, so there are now more jobs open than there are people looking for them.

GDP growth for the second quarter is also looking good, with the Atlanta Fed predicting sizzling growth of 4.6%. Other forecasts are lower, but still generally above 3%. The twin fiscal stimulus of tax cuts and stronger spending finally seems to be kicking in

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/week-...05808.html
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 10:17 PM by WKUYG.)
06-08-2018 10:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
RE: Trump got some more economic news to crow about
What goes up, must come down, so I'm always reserved about crowing about how great things are at any given point.

Now, having said that, if Trump can make a difference for the average Joe, especially those with skills that they've not been able to use for a decade or more because their jobs were sent overseas, then that's real progress. I want to see him totally change the dynamics as it relates to the lives of inner city blacks and rust belt workers who have been on the outside looking in for what seems like forever.

Do that, and he'll get a second term if he wants it.
06-08-2018 10:23 PM
DFWMINER Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-08-2018 10:23 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  What goes up, must come down, so I'm always reserved about crowing about how great things are at any given point.

Now, having said that, if Trump can make a difference for the average Joe, especially those with skills that they've not been able to use for a decade or more because their jobs were sent overseas, then that's real progress. I want to see him totally change the dynamics as it relates to the lives of inner city blacks and rust belt workers who have been on the outside looking in for what seems like forever.

Spot on.
06-09-2018 08:34 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(06-08-2018 10:23 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  What goes up, must come down, so I'm always reserved about crowing about how great things are at any given point.

Yep, we're in our ninth year of economic growth. The all time record is 10 years which is why lots of economists are predicting a recession in 2020. Most aren't predicting anything terrible though, just a drawback.
06-09-2018 08:55 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Agree market forces rise and fall and over time but let's give credit where credit is due. Has there been a POTUS in recent times that has positively impacted our businesses, industries and national economy in such a short amount of time? Don't forget he "coaxed" several manufacturing plants to expand here in the States instead of elsewhere and his administration has cut a lot of federal red tape regulations. What, negotiate better trade deals? Cutting corporate taxes and more earnings in the pockets of our workers? How dare he! He's really undertaken a comprehensive approach to helping our economy and I would argue for the long term.

Meanwhile in Libville, they're concerned about his personality and that he's too mean for our allies in negotiations...
06-09-2018 09:03 AM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU

So we are going to move away from being an information based economy and back to being a manufacturer based one? I got an idea, lets bring back jobs for wagon wheel makers. The world progresses, people need to change skill sets...or risk being left behind.
06-09-2018 09:14 AM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(06-09-2018 09:14 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  

So we are going to move away from being an information based economy and back to being a manufacturer based one? I got an idea, lets bring back jobs for wagon wheel makers. The world progresses, people need to change skill sets...or risk being left behind.

We need balance. Not everyone is cut out for “an information based economy”. We need to be producing stuff too, not just “information”.

Wagon wheels or buggy whips? Well, no. Of course not. But make it attractive/possible to make iPads or whatever here and employ Americans making US products to ship out to China and elsewhere? If it can work, why not?

Could go a long way to fixing a lot that currently ails our greater society.
06-09-2018 09:33 AM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(06-09-2018 09:33 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

We need balance. Not everyone is cut out for “an information based economy”. We need to be producing stuff too, not just “information”.

Wagon wheels or buggy whips? Well, no. Of course not. But make it attractive/possible to make iPads or whatever here and employ Americans making US products to ship out to China and elsewhere? If it can work, why not?

What do you think your I-Pad will cost you if built by American union labor? It will price it out of reach for many people.
06-09-2018 09:42 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(06-09-2018 09:42 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  
(06-09-2018 09:33 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  We need balance. Not everyone is cut out for “an information based economy”. We need to be producing stuff too, not just “information”.

What do you think your I-Pad will cost you if built by American union labor? It will price it out of reach for many people.

I think you're making an assumptive leap at this point. There would be other savings realized to offset higher worker wages by making something here as opposed to thousands of miles away in another country. Unions aside, I would also argue that more people working for better wages puts more dollars into local economies to buy more stuff. Less people on unemployment benefits as well.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2018 10:30 AM by UCGrad1992.)
06-09-2018 10:29 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU

So you call asking someone if they would like fries with that coke...information ? Or if they wanted a double or single room...information? Or if you buy DirectV today we will give you a $100 visa gift card.... information? Or can I help carry that out to the car.....information?

Those are the type of jobs we have switch to instead of blue collar building jobs that you could raise a family on.

Explain to me how this information based economy you and I guess the democrats want, works, for those blue collar people? That before NAFTA could go to work at a factory and make a decent living. No wonder the working class has found their piece of pie keeps getting smaller.

You want open borders and the 10 million or so that's already crossed it helped drive down trade wages and you don't want to build anything in America. Yea...just as I thought, the Democrats wants the poor working class under their thumb nails. It makes you wonder how America got by when things were actually built here....

that savings we see from that cheap labor.....mostly goes in the pockets of the company. Not to keep the price down.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2018 11:11 AM by WKUYG.)
06-09-2018 10:55 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(06-09-2018 10:55 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(06-09-2018 09:14 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  So we are going to move away from being an information based economy and back to being a manufacturer based one? I got an idea, lets bring back jobs for wagon wheel makers. The world progresses, people need to change skill sets...or risk being left behind.

So you call asking someone if they would like fries with that coke...information ? Or if they wanted a double or single room...information? Or if you buy DirectV today we will give you a $100 visa gift card.... information? Or can I help carry that out to the car.....information?

Those are the type of jobs we have switch to instead of blue collar building jobs that you could raise a family on.

Explain to me how this information based economy you and I guess the democrats want, works, for those blue collar people? That before NAFTA could go to work at a factory and make a decent living. No wonder the working class has found their piece of pie keeps getting smaller.

You want open borders and the 10 million or so that's already crossed it helped drive down trade wages and you don't want to build anything in America. Yea...just as I thought, the Democrats wants the poor working class under their thumb nails. It makes you wonder how America got by when things were actually built here....

that savings we see from that cheap labor.....mostly goes in the pockets of the company. Not to keep the price down.

He shoots, he scores! 04-cheers
06-09-2018 11:33 AM
Advertisement

TechRocks Offline
Heisman

Yeah, like the automobile? You must have been absent that day.

Also, consider this. When all of a particular product, say computers, is built outside the US, say in S.E. Asia, and we get crossways with a country that later decides it wants to own S.E. Asia, what are we going to do? One doesn't gin-up such an industry overnight.

The reason we don't speak Japanese on the West Coast, German in the N.E., and Italian in the south is that we were prepared, and blessed, with a strong manufacturing sector when WWII began.

Buy nothing but cheap shyte made in China and sold at Wally World at your own risk.
06-09-2018 11:47 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-09-2018 09:42 AM)Old Blue Wrote:  What do you think your I-Pad will cost you if built by American union labor? It will price it out of reach for many people.

Lots of quality electronics don't cost what the IPAD costs.... some are a minute fraction.
06-09-2018 12:04 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

Pulled that out of thin air. I said “or whatever”, “if it can work, why not”? We still produce a fair amount of stuff here, cars, planes, agri, pharma, various hi tech components, etc.

We just need a more business friendly environment when it comes to the regulatory burden, tax levels and other things that affect businesses every day.

The industry I’m in back when we started in ‘92, we probably did about a 80/20 split, US to overseas. Now? It’s probably closer to 40/60 the other way, or perhaps worse.

Why? Probably the biggest single factor (other than simply cost) is/was the increased regs from EPA (which none of our people were EVER in major violation of, they could always find a nit to pick, seemed they were always working to justify their existence) as well OSHA, IRS, and the other alphabet soup agencies that finally folks just said “forget it, not worth it anymore. Just get it from China and have it shipped over”.

I’m not suggesting we can or even should go back to 1992, but we can certainly strive to not make things any worse. Perhaps we can even make things better(?). I think Trump has that heading in the right direction.

/shrugs
06-09-2018 01:57 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli

No wonder liberals are looked at as out of touch. This post proves it all.
06-09-2018 06:58 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
Jobs said it was not the cost of labor that was the reason he was manufacturing in China. It was the cost of regulation. He said he could build a manufacturing plant in six months in China that would take six years to build here.
06-09-2018 07:16 PM
Advertisement

TechRocks Offline
Heisman

(06-09-2018 07:16 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Jobs said it was not the cost of labor that was the reason he was manufacturing in China. It was the cost of regulation. He said he could build a manufacturing plant in six months in China that would take six years to build here.

If only we had a president who was demanding that two existing regulations be scrapped for each new one added.
06-09-2018 07:57 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

somebody found the 'key' to the city......
06-09-2018 08:34 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(06-09-2018 06:58 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  

No wonder liberals are looked at as out of touch. This post proves it all.

I'll never tire of this simple reminder from dumbo ears doofwad......the shiTTTiest prez evah!!!

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2018 08:40 PM by stinkfist.)
06-09-2018 08:39 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

(06-09-2018 10:55 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

I'm on board. Not a fan of this mystical "trade war", but would be a fan of
"Hey. lets get some (many) young guys and Gals back to work".

Like, work. Dirty nails work. I honestly don't even care if its tied in to subsidies or whatever social "poorfare" plan it may be. Let them learn a skill. AND an honest paycheck at the same time, the change in behavior can be amazing.

My gosh, My goodness. How earth breaking would that be?!? More people pulling the cart instead of sitting in the cart.

We'd ALL be a lot better off.
06-10-2018 01:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.