Bookmark and Share
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
College Football News: North Texas Preview
https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/06/...eview-2018

From page 5 of the article....

North Texas Prediction: What’s Going To Happen

Be really, really mad if the Mean Green don’t get back to the Conference USA championship for a second year in a row.

Winning it might be a problem – Florida Atlantic is still going to be terrific – but with all of the top games on the schedule at home, and with so much talent and experience back, this should be a ten-win team coming off a nine-win season.

They have the quarterback in Mason Fine, and they’ve got the receivers to make the high-powered passing game even better. As long as the line does its job in pass protection, and can bring a bit more of a push for the ground game, look out.
06-09-2018 05:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: College Football News: North Texas Preview
Joe, don't be so quick to think UNT will win in Norfolk. I see this as a win for the home team. Just sayin...
06-09-2018 10:07 PM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Your lines are thin. You might need some luck there. Good read. Everyone's toast unless their front-4 can generate some pass rush.
06-10-2018 10:46 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
Can’t wait until our matchup in Birmingham...it’ll be homecoming too.
06-10-2018 11:35 AM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2018 10:46 AM)USM@FTL Wrote:  Your lines are thin. You might need some luck there. Good read. Everyone's toast unless their front-4 can generate some pass rush.

Our lines were thin last season. Barring a rash of injuries, we should be in much better shape this year (Solid returning players, incoming transfers, plus last seasons red-shirts). We should be deeper in the trenches.

Our D has been terrible for years now. That is my biggest concern. I'm not a fan of shootouts. I don't believe our defense could be worse then they were last season. That leads me to believe we are in for a very good season, but probably not good enough to beat FAU, if they are as good as they were at the end of last season.
06-10-2018 12:56 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2018 11:35 AM)jcduncan13 Wrote:  Can’t wait until our matchup in Birmingham...it’ll be homecoming too.

UAB pick the North Texas game for homecoming? That is completely disrespectful. 03-hissyfit

I hope we beat you by 50. 07-coffee3
06-10-2018 12:57 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-09-2018 10:07 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Joe, don't be so quick to think UNT will win in Norfolk. I see this as a win for the home team. Just sayin...

North Texas is perfectly capable of losing at ODU. I don't think we will, but this is certainly not a lock.

Why do you feel ODU will win?
06-10-2018 12:59 PM
Advertisement

ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(06-10-2018 12:59 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(06-09-2018 10:07 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Joe, don't be so quick to think UNT will win in Norfolk. I see this as a win for the home team. Just sayin...

North Texas is perfectly capable of losing at ODU. I don't think we will, but this is certainly not a lock.

Joe, I absolutely agree that the game is not a lock for either team. I have said in another thread that I see this one as a tossup, but I also believe home field advantage is significant when there is a 1400 mile travel involved.

ODU's defense is solid with 8 or 9 starters returning, led by DE Oshane Ximines and DT Miles Fox. I expect three or so sacks on Fine (who is one hell of a good QB).

Last year freshman QB Steven Williams finished the season completing 68% of his passes in the last four games -- with no interceptions. Offensive team speed is good (as you might recall), and though we lose Ray Lawry at RB, Jeremy Cox is back, and he is a beast. Jonathan Duhart is back for his senior season after missing most of last season with an injury. We have four or the OL back led by senior center and four year starter Nick Clarke and LT Isaac Weaver.

I think this team has a real chance to be better than our 2016 team. I think we will see two good teams on the field, and I give it to the Monarchs because of home field advantage and -- well -- I'm a homer!

04-cheers
06-11-2018 11:37 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2018 11:37 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  

Joe, I absolutely agree that the game is not a lock for either team. I have said in another thread that I see this one as a tossup, but I also believe home field advantage is significant when there is a 1400 mile travel involved.

ODU's defense is solid with 8 or 9 starters returning, led by DE Oshane Ximines and DT Miles Fox. I expect three or so sacks on Fine (who is one hell of a good QB).

Last year freshman QB Steven Williams finished the season completing 68% of his passes in the last four games -- with no interceptions. Offensive team speed is good (as you might recall), and though we lose Ray Lawry at RB, Jeremy Cox is back, and he is a beast. Jonathan Duhart is back for his senior season after missing most of last season with an injury. We have four or the OL back led by senior center and four year starter Nick Clarke and LT Isaac Weaver.

I think this team has a real chance to be better than our 2016 team. I think we will see two good teams on the field, and I give it to the Monarchs because of home field advantage and -- well -- I'm a homer!

04-cheers

Good, sound logic... I think this game will be one of the better cross-divisional games this season. I hope it gets moved off of espn3 and becomes a real broadcast.

Of course I believe North Texas will win this game, and here is why. I think ODU lost quite a few starters in the secondary. Mason Fine will try to take advantage of that. I also think ODU lost two starting WRs . That won't help Williams, and it might put more pressure on your running game. North Texas brings back every starter from last seasons record breaking air attack, and our coaches have brought in quality juco transfers on the defensive side of the ball. In short, I do not believe our defense will be pathetic this season.

Our offense scored 45 points on ODU last year, and we should be even better this year. ODU scored 38 points on our awful defense, and we should be improved. The last factor in my prediction is the fact that both of us will be coming off of bye weeks when we play. The bye week will provide us much needed rest, that should negate some of that home field advantage.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2018 11:58 AM by Side Show Joe.)
06-11-2018 11:55 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(06-11-2018 11:55 AM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

04-cheers

Good, sound logic... I think this game will be one of the better cross-divisional games this season. I hope it gets moved off of espn3 and becomes a real broadcast.

Of course I believe North Texas will win this game, and here is why. I think ODU lost quite a few starters in the secondary. Mason Fine will try to take advantage of that. I also think ODU lost two starting WRs . That won't help Williams, and it might put more pressure on your running game. North Texas brings back every starter from last seasons record breaking air attack, and our coaches have brought in quality juco transfers on the defensive side of the ball. In short, I do not believe our defense will be pathetic this season.

Our offense scored 45 points on ODU last year, and we should be even better this year. ODU scored 38 points on our awful defense, and we should be improved. The last factor in my prediction is the fact that both of us will be coming off of bye weeks when we play. The bye week will provide us much needed rest, that should negate some of that home field advantage.

One thing I think we can agree on -- the game is played on November 10 and by that time we should have a much better feel for how things are likely to go. That said, it's still the Monarchs -- and it's still the Mean Green -- so anything is possible.
06-11-2018 02:26 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2018 02:26 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 11:55 AM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

04-cheers

One thing I think we can agree on -- the game is played on November 10 and by that time we should have a much better feel for how things are likely to go. That said, it's still the Monarchs -- and it's still the Mean Green -- so anything is possible.

Well said. 04-cheers
06-11-2018 06:27 PM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says UNT does the most with less in this conference.
06-11-2018 07:36 PM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(06-10-2018 12:57 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(06-10-2018 11:35 AM)jcduncan13 Wrote:  Can’t wait until our matchup in Birmingham...it’ll be homecoming too.

UAB pick the North Texas game for homecoming? That is completely disrespectful. 03-hissyfit

I hope we beat you by 50. 07-coffee3

Well it worked out in 2014 when we scheduled you guys for our homecoming game lol I know that was a different team though
06-12-2018 01:01 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
whatever you need for motivation. More like the date than the opponent.
06-12-2018 06:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.