Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Only 27 of our players are ACC-caliber
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
“I believe we have 27 ACC-caliber football players on our roster today,” Mendenhall said.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierins...8af47.html

“I want to play the worst power-five team that we can play... That’s what the ACC requires, you have to play one other power-five [team in nonconference play]... I want to find the worst one we can play, so we can get another win... I want to find three other games that are close and beatable.”

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierins...458bb.html

“If you were in business, it would be less than taking over a start-up. It would be a program that was in bankruptcy."

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierins...b8652.html

Well then. I'm not sure that'll inspire the other 2/3's of your troops when you ask them to lay it out on the line for you in the fall coach. If my math is correct, he's also admitting that he's swung and missed on some of his own recruits, because it's not as if he inherited zero ACC level guys.
06-10-2018 10:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: Only 27 of our players are ACC-caliber
(06-10-2018 10:09 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  “I believe we have 27 ACC-caliber football players on our roster today,” Mendenhall said.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierins...8af47.html

“I want to play the worst power-five team that we can play... That’s what the ACC requires, you have to play one other power-five [team in nonconference play]... I want to find the worst one we can play, so we can get another win... I want to find three other games that are close and beatable.”

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierins...458bb.html

“If you were in business, it would be less than taking over a start-up. It would be a program that was in bankruptcy."

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierins...b8652.html

Well then. I'm not sure that'll inspire the other 2/3's of your troops when you ask them to lay it out on the line for you in the fall coach. If my math is correct, he's also admitting that he's swung and missed on some of his own recruits, because it's not as if he inherited zero ACC level guys.

Not sure that will help his AD find a suitable P5 opponent either. Who wants to agree they are the "worst P5 team available"?

There are some times you just shouldn't be candid with the media.
06-11-2018 07:12 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Brutal...hope he knows what he is doing
06-11-2018 07:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
H.U.S.T.L.E. Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: VT / JMU
I keep saying that I think Bronco was the wrong guy for UVA all along and that they were due for a step back after last season's successful year (by UVA standards, 6 wins & a bowl game). He's not recruiting at a high enough level, and he just lost a bunch of talented seniors who were holdovers from the previous coaching staff.

But some of y'all keep saying he'll be fine. For those who've said this, I don't get what you're seeing. I see a guy who's trying to drastically lower expectations for his new AD, but I don't think it's going to work. Carla Williams is not going to accept mediocrity (or worse, being a laughingstock) in football for long. I'll be surprised if Bronco is still in charge at this time next year.

And just to be clear, I'm not the kind of VT fan who hopes to see UVA stink in football every year. I think it's better for VT to have a true in-state rival, but they've crapped the bed for the better part of the past decade.
06-11-2018 08:21 AM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
Well, he's not wrong. Better than when 3 and 4 win ACC teams schedule 10 win SEC and Big Ten teams all September.
06-11-2018 09:40 AM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
I think he's dead right on all of these. Just maybe surprising to see him go on the record with it.

It was always a weird hire. Bronco was probably the best coach they could possibly hire, but it took a strange fit to get there.

I don't know enough about UVA internal athletics policy, but to me they are incredibly out of touch football wise, with little interest in being competitive in football. All I know is their ridiculous OOC scheduling, and that George Welsh was a hero there for winning 7 games a year. And then made a nearly inexplicable hire from the west coast with zero track record in the area.

I just don't know if they don't care if they suck in football, or they actually think they can and should be good, and are just wildly out of touch of how to get there. No school benefited more from the ACC's long time gentleman's agreement to not try football very hard.

My guess is that Bronco isn't saying this out loud unless he's already feeling frustrated with what he's up against internally. I think there's a chance that UVA goes the way of Kansas and just becomes a poison pit for football that nobody will touch.
06-11-2018 10:00 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Mendenhall must be some kind of special stupid! Hell, he just insulted 67% of his football team! 05-stirthepot
06-11-2018 11:22 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Could be a way to motivate his team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-11-2018 11:40 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
27 seems a bit high.
07-coffee3

Where's Wahoowa when we need him?
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2018 12:52 PM by Hokie Mark.)
06-11-2018 12:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
(06-11-2018 11:22 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Mendenhall must be some kind of special stupid! Hell, he just insulted 67% of his football team! 05-stirthepot

.......................or just motivated them.?!??Fuel To The Fire
06-11-2018 02:56 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(06-11-2018 02:56 PM)HRFlossY Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 11:22 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Mendenhall must be some kind of special stupid! Hell, he just insulted 67% of his football team! 05-stirthepot

To transfer! 07-coffee3
06-11-2018 05:07 PM
Advertisement

copycat Offline
Why ask why?

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(06-10-2018 10:09 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  “I want to play the worst power-five team that we can play... That’s what the ACC requires, you have to play one other power-five [team in nonconference play]... I want to find the worst one we can play, so we can get another win... I want to find three other games that are close and beatable.”
Didn't UVA have a spring game?
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2018 07:12 PM by copycat.)
06-11-2018 07:12 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
It may be a shot at the university to get some concessions like lower admission standards or facility improvements. Still, it seems really early in his tenure to go public like this.

He also said the number increases by ~13 with the next recruiting class. That means 1/3 of HIS recruits are not ACC-caliber.
06-11-2018 07:32 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(06-11-2018 07:12 PM)copycat Wrote:  
(06-10-2018 10:09 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  “I want to play the worst power-five team that we can play... That’s what the ACC requires, you have to play one other power-five [team in nonconference play]... I want to find the worst one we can play, so we can get another win... I want to find three other games that are close and beatable.”
Didn't UVA have a spring game?

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
BRILLIANT!
06-11-2018 07:52 PM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
HELLO ???

He's just setting himself up to pat himself on the back when they DO turn out to be better than William & Mary.
06-12-2018 11:08 AM
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
(06-11-2018 05:07 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 02:56 PM)HRFlossY Wrote:  

To transfer! 07-coffee3

03-lmfao.....TRU!....03-lmfao
06-12-2018 12:43 PM
Advertisement

Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
(06-11-2018 07:32 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  It may be a shot at the university to get some concessions like lower admission standards or facility improvements. Still, it seems really early in his tenure to go public like this.

That's what I wonder. You usually don't see this kind of thing taken to the media unless a coach is hitting a brick wall privately. Seems pretty early on to be playing this card.

This is pretty under the radar nationally, because well it's Virginia, but this has the makings of getting the rep of a toxic job, similar to what BC was like after the Coughlin exit and Jagz fiasco.

But that's just reading (or making stuff up) between the lines.
06-12-2018 02:06 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Maybe they could schedule UMBC.
06-12-2018 03:24 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
UVA should be the Stanford of the ACC for football (all that matters $$$$ wise). They have sooo much more to give.
06-12-2018 06:13 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(06-12-2018 03:24 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Maybe they could schedule UMBC.

Rumor...Cuse is going to have them come up to the Dome this year.
06-12-2018 07:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.