Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

LSU, South Alabama to play in 2024 (Baton Rouge)
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
LSU, South Alabama to play in 2024 (Baton Rouge)
LSU and South Alabama will play a football game in Baton Rouge on September 28, 2024.

Is this fallout from 2016? LSU and USA were supposed to play in BR on November 19th that year, but when LSU at Florida was canceled because of hurricane Matthew, LSU canceled the USA game so as to make up the game vs Florida in Baton Rouge that same date.

At the time of the cancellation, it was universally reported that LSU would pay USA the $1.5m cancellation fee as called for in the contract. But maybe a deal was cut that eliminated or reduced that payment in exchange for scheduling a new game? I don't know.

In a press release, the USA coach didn't seem to mind that, like the 2016 game, this is a one-fer, with no return trip by LSU to USA:

"It will be great to play a team that is perennially in the top 10-15 in the country, one that is an SEC power and has been among the best in the region for the longest time," South Alabama coach Steve Campbell said in a press release. "It also gives us an opportunity to play a big game in an area that we recruit. It's always fun to play in those environments, that's why you sign up to come to South Alabama, to play in big games like that."

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018...ds_20.html
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018 06:20 PM by quo vadis.)
06-13-2018 06:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: LSU, South Alabama to play in 2024 (Baton Rouge)
It makes a lot of dollars and cents
06-13-2018 07:10 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
South Alabama went bowling that year because of the cancellation. It all worked out.
06-13-2018 07:31 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(06-13-2018 07:10 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  It makes a lot of dollars and cents

It could possibly have a bearing on issues like Miami vs Arkansas State. IIRC, Miami offered to make up their 2017 canceled game with ARKST in 2024 or thereabouts, but ARKST said no, on the grounds that this was unreasonably far into the future. Miami claimed that to the contrary, it isn't uncommon for games to be scheduled that far out.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018 07:56 PM by quo vadis.)
06-13-2018 07:55 PM
OdinFrigg Online
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
South Alabama was able to find a replacement game in 2016. Not a big money game, but they scheduled Presbyterian at home..
06-13-2018 08:40 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(06-13-2018 08:40 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  South Alabama was able to find a replacement game in 2016. Not a big money game, but they scheduled Presbyterian at home..

Presbyterian was the team that was supposed to play Florida that week. It was either play them or no game altogether. Sun Belt rules prohibit members from playing road games against FCS teams, so once Presbyterian agreed, the game would have had to be in Mobile.
06-13-2018 09:01 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

(06-13-2018 09:01 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(06-13-2018 08:40 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  South Alabama was able to find a replacement game in 2016. Not a big money game, but they scheduled Presbyterian at home..

Presbyterian was the team that was supposed to play Florida that week. It was either play them or no game altogether. Sun Belt rules prohibit members from playing road games against FCS teams, so once Presbyterian agreed, the game would have had to be in Mobile.

That's a strange rule, I wonder what the rationale is?
06-14-2018 07:15 AM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
(06-14-2018 07:15 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  That's a strange rule, I wonder what the rationale is?

Credibility.

For a league in its infancy at the time with many "new to I-A" programs, this was a move to give them credibility and to also have their schools avoid traveling on the road to I-AA/FCS schools in order to fill a schedule. Probably was more difficult for some than others.
06-14-2018 02:37 PM
ValleyBoy Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(06-13-2018 07:55 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

It could possibly have a bearing on issues like Miami vs Arkansas State. IIRC, Miami offered to make up their 2017 canceled game with ARKST in 2024 or thereabouts, but ARKST said no, on the grounds that this was unreasonably far into the future. Miami claimed that to the contrary, it isn't uncommon for games to be scheduled that far out.

Difference is that the Miami vs Arkansas State was a return game of a 1 for 1 and not a payday game. Also can anyone say that LSU refused to pay South Alabama the $1.5m cancellation fee as called for in the contract. Miami refused to pay the cancellation fee to Arkansas State.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2018 03:16 PM by ValleyBoy.)
06-14-2018 03:15 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(06-14-2018 02:37 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  
(06-14-2018 07:15 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  That's a strange rule, I wonder what the rationale is?

Credibility.

For a league in its infancy at the time with many "new to I-A" programs, this was a move to give them credibility and to also have their schools avoid traveling on the road to I-AA/FCS schools in order to fill a schedule. Probably was more difficult for some than others.

I sense some hypocrisy here. E.g., aren't G5 schools often complaining that P5 won't visit their stadiums? But then they have a rule like this regarding FCS?
06-14-2018 03:52 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(06-14-2018 03:15 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  
(06-13-2018 07:55 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Difference is that the Miami vs Arkansas State was a return game of a 1 for 1 and not a payday game. Also can anyone say that LSU refused to pay South Alabama the $1.5m cancellation fee as called for in the contract. Miami refused to pay the cancellation fee to Arkansas State.

We know there are differences between the cases (though I'm not sure what the 'return game' aspect has to do with it), but seems like a key aspect of ARKST's claim is that Miami's offer to play in 2024 was just too far out in the future.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2018 03:57 PM by quo vadis.)
06-14-2018 03:55 PM
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

(06-14-2018 03:52 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Credibility.

I sense some hypocrisy here. E.g., aren't G5 schools often complaining that P5 won't visit their stadiums? But then they have a rule like this regarding FCS?

Apples and oranges. Sun Belt schools are FBS just like schools in the SEC, Big Ten, etc. are FBS. Theoretically that means we both have access to the same championship. Practically it is likely to never be the case without playoff expansion. But FCS is a different division altogether with different scholarship levels and their own championship. Besides, how many other FBS conferences travel to FCS teams? It would be akin to a DI basketball team traveling to play at a DII or NAIA team.
06-14-2018 04:28 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(06-14-2018 04:28 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

Credibility.

Apples and oranges. Sun Belt schools are FBS just like schools in the SEC, Big Ten, etc. are FBS. Theoretically that means we both have access to the same championship. Practically it is likely to never be the case without playoff expansion. But FCS is a different division altogether with different scholarship levels and their own championship. Besides, how many other FBS conferences travel to FCS teams? It would be akin to a DI basketball team traveling to play at a DII or NAIA team.

Not really. FBS and FCS are both in the same division - Division I. They are subdivisions, not divisions. Similar to how Autonomy and non-Autonomy are subdivisions.

The real difference here is the SB having a rule against visiting FCS, while I don't know of any P5 that have a rule against visiting G5, or even visiting FCS for that matter.

I understand why G5 schools don't want to travel to FCS, just as I understand why P5 schools don't want to travel to G5.

But it's hypocritical to complain about the group above you not wanting to visit you when you have an actual rule against visiting the group below you.
06-14-2018 04:33 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

(06-14-2018 04:33 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Credibility.

Not really. FBS and FCS are both in the same division - Division I. They are subdivisions, not divisions. Similar to how Autonomy and non-Autonomy are subdivisions.

The real difference here is the SB having a rule against visiting FCS, while I don't know of any P5 that have a rule against visiting G5, or even visiting FCS for that matter.

I understand why G5 schools don't want to travel to FCS, just as I understand why P5 schools don't want to travel to G5.

But it's hypocritical to complain about the group above you not wanting to visit you when you have an actual rule against visiting the group below you.

The comparison you are making between P5 to G5 and FBS to FCS is not the same. FBS teams can't play in the FCS playoffs, nor can they play in ours. P5 and G5 teams can both (theoretically) make the FBS playoffs. That in essence makes the comparison apples and oranges. And you are arguing a point in a thread about South Alabama playing @ LSU when that argument doesn't exist in this thread.
06-14-2018 05:05 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(06-14-2018 05:05 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(06-14-2018 04:33 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(06-14-2018 02:37 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Credibility.

The comparison you are making between P5 to G5 and FBS to FCS is not the same. FBS teams can't play in the FCS playoffs, nor can they play in ours. P5 and G5 teams can both (theoretically) make the FBS playoffs. That in essence makes the comparison apples and oranges. And you are arguing a point in a thread about South Alabama playing @ LSU when that argument doesn't exist in this thread.

I understand that Autonomy and non-Autonomy both participate in the CFP, while FCS doesn't. I got that the first time you mentioned it. For the reasons I gave in response, I don't think that is enough to make it apples to oranges. I guess we just have to agree to disagree about that.

Point taken though about this argument being tangential to the thread. I am the OP after all, so I should do a better job of keeping the thread focused on the LSU vs USA game, so I won't mention it any more. 04-cheers

BTW, what's your take on the USA vs LSU game, are you glad it's happening?
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2018 07:49 PM by quo vadis.)
06-14-2018 06:34 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(06-13-2018 06:05 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  LSU and South Alabama will play a football game in Baton Rouge on September 28, 2024.

Is this fallout from 2016? LSU and USA were supposed to play in BR on November 19th that year, but when LSU at Florida was canceled because of hurricane Matthew, LSU canceled the USA game so as to make up the game vs Florida in Baton Rouge that same date.

At the time of the cancellation, it was universally reported that LSU would pay USA the $1.5m cancellation fee as called for in the contract. But maybe a deal was cut that eliminated or reduced that payment in exchange for scheduling a new game? I don't know.

In a press release, the USA coach didn't seem to mind that, like the 2016 game, this is a one-fer, with no return trip by LSU to USA:

"It will be great to play a team that is perennially in the top 10-15 in the country, one that is an SEC power and has been among the best in the region for the longest time," South Alabama coach Steve Campbell said in a press release. "It also gives us an opportunity to play a big game in an area that we recruit. It's always fun to play in those environments, that's why you sign up to come to South Alabama, to play in big games like that."

No, LSU cut the check to USA for the game. As they should have. This is a new deal.

Granted, it was really Florida's fault, and USA had a real cause of action against them for intentional interference with a contract, but USA decided to just cash the check from LSU at the time.
06-18-2018 09:34 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

(06-18-2018 09:34 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(06-13-2018 06:05 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  LSU and South Alabama will play a football game in Baton Rouge on September 28, 2024.

No, LSU cut the check to USA for the game. As they should have. This is a new deal.

Granted, it was really Florida's fault, and USA had a real cause of action against them for intentional interference with a contract, but USA decided to just cash the check from LSU at the time.

I can't say I blame Florida. As a conference game the LSU game had to be played, and the buyout clause with USA existed for that reason. USA would have preferred to play the game rather than cash the check but that preference isn't a legal cause of action.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2018 10:14 AM by quo vadis.)
06-18-2018 10:13 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
A bodybag game at LSU isn't compensation for USA in any way, shape, or form.

If any FBS school in the country called up LSU and said, "We'll play 1 game against you in Baton Rouge with no return game and a modest payout," LSU would probably accept the offer and try to fit them in the schedule.
06-18-2018 04:33 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(06-18-2018 04:33 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  A bodybag game at LSU isn't compensation for USA in any way, shape, or form.

If any FBS school in the country called up LSU and said, "We'll play 1 game against you in Baton Rouge with no return game and a modest payout," LSU would probably accept the offer and try to fit them in the schedule.

Well, compensation for what? Originally, USA and LSU were supposed to play a game in November, 2016. LSU canceled that game when the Florida situation arose, so .... playing that game at a later date does restore the status quo ante in a way. USA lost a game at LSU, now they will play a game at LSU.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2018 05:57 PM by quo vadis.)
06-18-2018 05:56 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(06-18-2018 05:56 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 04:33 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  A bodybag game at LSU isn't compensation for USA in any way, shape, or form.

Well, compensation for what? Originally, USA and LSU were supposed to play a game in November, 2016. LSU canceled that game when the Florida situation arose, so .... playing that game at a later date does restore the status quo ante in a way. USA lost a game at LSU, now they will play a game at LSU.

LSU paid USA for the breach. As they should have. New deal, new payment.

As far as claim by others that @LSU is a 'bodybag game', last year LSU lost at home to Troy who then got absolutely crushed by USA at home the next weekend.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2018 06:27 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
06-18-2018 06:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.