Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Craziest Schedule Manipulation Ever
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Craziest Schedule Manipulation Ever
Top this:

https://deadspin.com/arkansas-womens-ten...1825475452

Quote:Arkansas women’s tennis had a surprisingly strong run in the SEC Tournament last week, making it all the way to the semifinals despite finishing 11th in regular season conference play. It was enough of a run to give the school hopes of an at-large bid in the upcoming NCAA tournament, if not for one problem: Arkansas’s record was still only 10-16, and under NCAA rules, teams under .500 aren’t eligible for the tournament.

Since the SEC tournament ended, however, The Razorbacks have found a way to get to 16-16. Two days after they were bounced out by Florida, Arkansas traveled to Nashville to play six games in one day against Tennessee State, who had already celebrated its Senior Day over a week before, and had gone just 1-8 in Ohio Valley Conference play. In six matches over 14 hours, Arkansas won six times and became tournament eligible.
06-13-2018 10:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
RE: Craziest Schedule Manipulation Ever
That should not be legal. Honestly, Arkansas should be ashamed of themselves. That is flat out shameful. If I was on the selection committee and I saw that, I would never vote them in, come hell or high water. They could legitimately be more deserving than 55 other teams and I would not reward them for that BS.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2018 07:09 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
06-13-2018 10:58 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Hey, what mid-major wouldn’t sign a six-game all-home deal against an SEC team?
06-13-2018 11:18 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Missouri's softball team pulled some schedule shenanigans of their own this spring, to ensure eligibility for the NCAA tournament...

Here's why Missouri paid $5,000 to avoid playing Wichita State in softball

Quote:The Wichita State softball team was motivated for a home doubleheader against Missouri this week, as it was a chance to tack on a pair of wins against a SEC team with a high RPI and boost the Shockers' resume for a NCAA regional at-large berth.

But that opportunity no longer exists for Wichita State after Missouri paid $5,000 to buy out Wednesday's doubleheader.

The motivation for Missouri is clear: With a RPI of 23, Missouri is likely to receive an at-large bid to a NCAA regional, but only if it finishes with a winning record. That was in doubt with Missouri at 26-24 entering the weekend. So instead of risking two games against Wichita State (29-18, 31 RPI), Missouri instead brought in outmatched Arkansas-Pine Bluff (15-27, 263 RPI) over the weekend for two victories to ensure its winning record.
06-13-2018 11:35 PM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
Leave it to the pigs to pull this stunt. I am thrilled they got left out of the NCAA tourney that they never deserved to begin with. Woo Pigs Lose!
06-13-2018 11:47 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
SEC ! SEC ! SEC !

03-puke
06-14-2018 12:49 AM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
Good thing tennis doesn't matter. 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2018 07:23 AM by Nerdlinger.)
06-14-2018 07:23 AM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Is there not a limit on number of contests like there is in basketball, baseball, and football?
06-14-2018 07:55 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I had no idea you could just add games like that.

And Tenn Tech should be ashamed as well, letting those athletes get used.
06-14-2018 08:45 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-13-2018 11:35 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Missouri's softball team pulled some schedule shenanigans of their own this spring, to ensure eligibility for the NCAA tournament...

Here's why Missouri paid $5,000 to avoid playing Wichita State in softball

Quote:The Wichita State softball team was motivated for a home doubleheader against Missouri this week, as it was a chance to tack on a pair of wins against a SEC team with a high RPI and boost the Shockers' resume for a NCAA regional at-large berth.

But that opportunity no longer exists for Wichita State after Missouri paid $5,000 to buy out Wednesday's doubleheader.

The motivation for Missouri is clear: With a RPI of 23, Missouri is likely to receive an at-large bid to a NCAA regional, but only if it finishes with a winning record. That was in doubt with Missouri at 26-24 entering the weekend. So instead of risking two games against Wichita State (29-18, 31 RPI), Missouri instead brought in outmatched Arkansas-Pine Bluff (15-27, 263 RPI) over the weekend for two victories to ensure its winning record.

Missouri ought to have been dropped from the tourney for pulling that stunt. At least Arkansas added games, rather than avoiding them.
06-14-2018 11:34 AM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

(06-14-2018 08:45 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I had no idea you could just add games like that.

who says the players didn't receive some sort of perk. This could make an interesting NCAA rules violation investigation.
06-14-2018 11:35 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(06-13-2018 10:16 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Top this:

https://deadspin.com/arkansas-womens-ten...1825475452

Quote:Arkansas women’s tennis had a surprisingly strong run in the SEC Tournament last week, making it all the way to the semifinals despite finishing 11th in regular season conference play. It was enough of a run to give the school hopes of an at-large bid in the upcoming NCAA tournament, if not for one problem: Arkansas’s record was still only 10-16, and under NCAA rules, teams under .500 aren’t eligible for the tournament.

Since the SEC tournament ended, however, The Razorbacks have found a way to get to 16-16. Two days after they were bounced out by Florida, Arkansas traveled to Nashville to play six games in one day against Tennessee State, who had already celebrated its Senior Day over a week before, and had gone just 1-8 in Ohio Valley Conference play. In six matches over 14 hours, Arkansas won six times and became tournament eligible.

Didn't help them get in

https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket...s-women/d1
06-14-2018 12:34 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(06-14-2018 11:35 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  
(06-14-2018 08:45 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I had no idea you could just add games like that.

who says the players didn't receive some sort of perk. This could make an interesting NCAA rules violation investigation.

Unless you are, it doesn't seem like anyone is saying that.
06-14-2018 12:54 PM
Advertisement

TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
This was a "hot topic" on many of the sports boards I frequent when it happened about two months ago. It may have been here too.

Arkansas did not get into the NCAA tournament. The committee knew better.

Arkansas's head coach got fired. He had a pretty successful track record of 9 NCAAs in 15 years, but this did not go over well and brought the university and its tennis program in the spotlight in a way it did not want to.

Tennessee State took the losses, but the women's tennis program benefited financially. They got $15,000 and as the TnSt coach said at the time, they are not often afforded an opportunity to play the caliber of program the SEC has - so that was a treat in some regards depending on your lenses.
06-14-2018 02:33 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

(06-14-2018 12:54 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(06-14-2018 11:35 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  

Unless you are, it doesn't seem like anyone is saying that.

Has anyone even asked? And maybe not the players, maybe the coach or AD.

I am saying somebody should start asking questions.
06-14-2018 03:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.