BYU
UMASS
CCU
NMSU
UVA
VT
JMU (IF MOVE TO FBS)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Future Football Rival
Bookmark and Share
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
Future Football Rival
Who do you think is the most likely team to be our rival going forward?
06-15-2018 11:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
RE: Future Football Rival
I voted ODU. That is my hope.
If we can regularly schedule CCU, that would be an obvious choice.
06-16-2018 07:51 AM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I picked UMass. We are likely to play them more often than any other schools and it will be late in the season.
06-16-2018 09:06 AM
cruzan_flame13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: LIBERTY
Why not more than one? ODU and UMASS can be rivals in our early years in the FBS and then add UVA and VT when we get even better in years to come Lord willing.
06-16-2018 09:18 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
As beneficial as the FBS indy move was for LU, a challenge will be scheduling teams regularly to have meaningful games, games with an impact where there is a lot on the line. Until LU creates that scenario, JMU if they were FBS, would be the biggest rival.

ODU and LU have to both improve. Rivalries are created when the opposing team keeps one's team from winning an important game. LU did that beating JMU in the FCS playoffs and LU did that with Coastal in the BSC. Over time, this will playout for LU with important wins and devastating loses. The quicker LU improves the faster the rivalries will become. So this season, it's ODU, and when and if JMU becomes FBS, then JMU.

I just don't see the upside to Coastal as other do. LU seems to be positioned much better than CCU to succeed in FBS in the long term.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2018 02:04 PM by NewTimes.)
06-16-2018 02:02 PM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Alabama
Kinda OT, but I have been told that part of the deal between the A-Sun and Liberty is to eventually schedule UNA and KSU on rotation for football. Kinda a take care of the conference mates kinda deal. Those could turn into rivalries if and when UNA and KSU decide to pursue FBS. They may want the Indy route as well knowing that y'all are doing it and staying in the A-Sun.
06-18-2018 04:49 PM
Advertisement

Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(06-18-2018 04:49 PM)lion1983 Wrote:  Kinda OT, but I have been told that part of the deal between the A-Sun and Liberty is to eventually schedule UNA and KSU on rotation for football. Kinda a take care of the conference mates kinda deal. Those could turn into rivalries if and when UNA and KSU decide to pursue FBS. They may want the Indy route as well knowing that y'all are doing it and staying in the A-Sun.

We are planning to play the ASUN schools with football. I think Jacksonville and/or Stetson will add football scholarships which could result in four teams getting the option to play us. UNA and KSU are a long way from FBS ball. It would be nice to have familiar teams on the schedule from the FCS ranks.
06-18-2018 07:05 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
I'm on a very different plane perhaps since I just passed through Provo the other day, but I am all about a rivalry with the Mormons. That could be fun and could eventually generate some enthusiasm on both sides of the matchup. It all starts Fall of 2019.
06-19-2018 12:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
(06-18-2018 04:49 PM)lion1983 Wrote:  Kinda OT, but I have been told that part of the deal between the A-Sun and Liberty is to eventually schedule UNA and KSU on rotation for football. Kinda a take care of the conference mates kinda deal. Those could turn into rivalries if and when UNA and KSU decide to pursue FBS. They may want the Indy route as well knowing that y'all are doing it and staying in the A-Sun.
I'm looking forward to have ASUN schools (obviously ASUN is not football conference) scheduled as LU's FCS opponents. Granted, it will be in a few years because the scheduled is set for the next few years.
Most FBS vs FCS games are meaningless. For Liberty to play ASUN schools is actually interesting.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using CSNbbs mobile app
06-19-2018 02:05 PM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

I have talked to the ADs at both Jacksonville and Stetson via email, and both are strongly against adding scholarship football for various reasons. So I don't think Liberty can look forward to playing them. But I don't think KSU is too far from FBS if that's what they want. I just hope they do it like y All and be Indy with the A-Sun.

Honestly, my hope is that JMU decides to go Indy FBS and move other sports to the A-Sun. Then when UNA and KSU decided to move towards FBS, that would be 4 schools from the A-Sun as Indy FBS, and a scheduling alliances with all the Indy schools other than Notre Dame could seriously happen and would be a better schedule in my opinion than the Sun Belt or even C-USA could offer.
06-19-2018 02:49 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I would rather not have any FCS schools on our schedule. I would rather compete against FBS schools since we fought so hard to move up.

It would take a miracle for JMU to be rivals with us. First, they'd have to move to FBS and that looks extremely low for the foreseeable future. Then they'd have to want to play us and that's even less likely. Even if they do, it would most likely be a home/home agreement rather than an annual game.

BYU could be a rivalry if we start playing annually. I don't think that is the case so our opportunity is limited. UMass is our only regular opponent through 2025 at this time. I expected to play New Mexico State yearly too out of necessity but there doesn't seem to be interest after 2019.
06-19-2018 04:26 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

(06-19-2018 04:26 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I would rather not have any FCS schools on our schedule. I would rather compete against FBS schools since we fought so hard to move up.

It would take a miracle for JMU to be rivals with us. First, they'd have to move to FBS and that looks extremely low for the foreseeable future. Then they'd have to want to play us and that's even less likely. Even if they do, it would most likely be a home/home agreement rather than an annual game.

BYU could be a rivalry if we start playing annually. I don't think that is the case so our opportunity is limited. UMass is our only regular opponent through 2025 at this time. I expected to play New Mexico State yearly too out of necessity but there doesn't seem to be interest after 2019.
Of all the current FCS schools, JMU should the last school LU schedules. Only if JMU became FBS, which seems far off at best, would a JMU/LU series be noteworthy. Agree that LU should raise it's desire beyond scheduling FCS schools. For the immediate future, maybe it would be a good idea. For the 3-5+ time frame, only play FCS games when and if needed, not by choice.
06-20-2018 10:49 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(06-20-2018 10:49 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(06-19-2018 04:26 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I would rather not have any FCS schools on our schedule. I would rather compete against FBS schools since we fought so hard to move up.

Of all the current FCS schools, JMU should the last school LU schedules. Only if JMU became FBS, which seems far off at best, would a JMU/LU series be noteworthy. Agree that LU should raise it's desire beyond scheduling FCS schools. For the immediate future, maybe it would be a good idea. For the 3-5+ time frame, only play FCS games when and if needed, not by choice.

The FCS games are here to stay. It will be hard getting 6 fbs home games every year. Unless we are not doing 2 for 1s with P5 schools then the fcs games will stay.
06-20-2018 12:26 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(06-20-2018 12:26 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

The FCS games are here to stay. It will be hard getting 6 fbs home games every year. Unless we are not doing 2 for 1s with P5 schools then the fcs games will stay.

I haven't seen anything stating FCS games are a staple on LU's schedule. We have at least one through 2021. I think it was necessary when we moved up and needed to schedule games ASAP to fill a schedule but now we should be fine.
06-20-2018 09:22 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(06-20-2018 09:22 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

I haven't seen anything stating FCS games are a staple on LU's schedule. We have at least one through 2021. I think it was necessary when we moved up and needed to schedule games ASAP to fill a schedule but now we should be fine.

It’s simple math. We are doing 2-1 with most P5 teams. We are not going to have less than 6 games a year at home. So if we do 1 2-1 a year and the rest are H&H we have to schedule a FCS team. Until we are doing H&H’s with every team we will have an FCS game. Bank on it.
06-20-2018 10:35 PM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

I think the (if in fact there is one) agreement between Liberty and the A-Sun scheduling with UNA and KSU on rotation (when your current schedule allows for it) is to help Liberty keep from having to hunt and pay huge amounts of money to other FCS programs, it will allow a rivalry to develop between the schools in all sports, it helps both UNA and KSU in scheduling knowing that there will be a guaranteed game every other year. All will benefit the A-Sun, which by default, helps Liberty on all sides. It's smart buisness. And like I said before, If in the future, UNA and KSU ever decide to go FBS Indy and follow Liberty's blueprint, they will have an avenue (for lack of a better word) to help them do that, and UNA, KSU and Liberty will continue to play each other annually.
06-21-2018 10:21 AM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

Committing to FCS games as here to stay seems unwise. The goal should be to use FCS games as is currently being done by FBS teams. As an FBS indy, FCS games likely will be needed for schedule gaps. But stating FCS is to stay is too committal for the LU program and would weaken it's FBS perception as "remaining a FCS" program".
06-21-2018 11:22 AM
GE and MTS Offline

(06-20-2018 10:35 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

It’s simple math. We are doing 2-1 with most P5 teams. We are not going to have less than 6 games a year at home. So if we do 1 2-1 a year and the rest are H&H we have to schedule a FCS team. Until we are doing H&H’s with every team we will have an FCS game. Bank on it.

I know it is simple math. What I am saying is instead of buying FCS home games, buy G5 ones.
06-21-2018 05:02 PM
LibertyOrangeman Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty, SU
(06-21-2018 10:21 AM)lion1983 Wrote:  I think the (if in fact there is one) agreement between Liberty and the A-Sun scheduling with UNA and KSU on rotation (when your current schedule allows for it) is to help Liberty keep from having to hunt and pay huge amounts of money to other FCS programs, it will allow a rivalry to develop between the schools in all sports, it helps both UNA and KSU in scheduling knowing that there will be a guaranteed game every other year. All will benefit the A-Sun, which by default, helps Liberty on all sides. It's smart buisness. And like I said before, If in the future, UNA and KSU ever decide to go FBS Indy and follow Liberty's blueprint, they will have an avenue (for lack of a better word) to help them do that, and UNA, KSU and Liberty will continue to play each other annually.
If this agreement with Liberty and the ASUN/UNA & KSU is true, it makes a lot of sense for all parties involved. This should've been the agreement between the Big South and Liberty, as it, again, would've helped all parties involved. I'm not sure where the relationship between Liberty and the Big South soured, but it is rather unfortunate, especially for the Big South. I do hope that we continue to play many of the Big South schools in non-conference games. I'd especially like the LU-Radford basketball rivalry to continue.
06-21-2018 07:38 PM
Campaign4Liberty Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Neil Young
1. BYU
2. BYU
3. BYU

When you look back and think about how much Doc talked about wanting to be like BYU and Notre Dame...its BYU all the way, especially if we can knock them off in 19 or 22. Look for a regular home and home with BYU in the future - cut from a similar loaf of bread.
06-21-2018 09:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.