Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is realignment dead if more players get into the market?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Is realignment dead if more players get into the market?
Some interesting things from Jon Wilner and his interview with sports rights expert Chris Bevilacqua

From The Mercury News:

Quote: Question = In the previous round of Tier I negotiations, there was a small number of buyers: Fox and ESPN mostly; Comcast dabbled. Because of that, the conference felt the need to get bigger, to increase supply. But if there are numerous potential buyers in the next round — Fox and ESPN and maybe the telecos and the techs — could that eliminate the need for the conferences to get even bigger? Might we not see any realignment?

“The reasons expansion may or may not happen aren’t directly aligned to the number of buyers. If you have more than one buyer, you have a market, right? It’s a matter of the strategic importance of the content to the buyer.

“I think there will be at least two or three well-heeled media guys, whether it’s Disney or Fox, Viacom or CBS, Turner — there will be multiple legacy media companies in that market (for Tier 1 rights).

“The outstanding question is, ‘When are the tech guys going to show up, and are they going to show up?’ They all have massive video budgets, and they’ve started to dabble in sports. But in three-and-a-half years, when the Big Ten hits the market, are any of those non-legacy media companies going to be there in a big way?

“I hope so, but it’s not clear to me yet.”

A fascinating notion...

Not all buyers are necessarily interested in bidding for a package of rights for the same reason.

And more buyers could alleviate any need for expansion...
06-19-2018 04:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

RE: Is realignment dead if more players get into the market?
BTW, is this why ESPN is working overtime to please the ACC? Because in the not too distant future, other players might snag most of the other properties and ESPN may not have much else other than the SEC and ACC?

I would also suggest that FOX paid so much for some of their entities in recent years because it was vital they have decent content. Less so for ESPN because they already possessed so much and had already established such a brand that paying for certain properties wasn't worth as much to them. Nonetheless, FOX hasn't necessarily kept pace. They've already lost Champions League.

Ultimately, if the name of the game is quality then no one really matches the SEC so we're fine.
06-19-2018 04:46 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(06-19-2018 04:46 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  BTW, is this why ESPN is working overtime to please the ACC? Because in the not too distant future, other players might snag most of the other properties and ESPN may not have much else other than the SEC and ACC?

I would also suggest that FOX paid so much for some of their entities in recent years because it was vital they have decent content. Less so for ESPN because they already possessed so much and had already established such a brand that paying for certain properties wasn't worth as much to them. Nonetheless, FOX hasn't necessarily kept pace. They've already lost Champions League.

Ultimately, if the name of the game is quality then no one really matches the SEC so we're fine.

Wilner left the door open for content additions. Remember, the Big 10 and SEC will be renewing T1 contracts (Big 10 T2 as well). Content drives value for T1 contracts. So Oklahoma and Texas will still be sought.

But I do agree that if there are multiple bidders for these rights that it lessens the likelihood that we have movement. Nobody wants to share more with another. But content multiplying additions will be huge moving forward because content is the safest bet under any new pay model.
06-19-2018 05:27 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(06-19-2018 05:27 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-19-2018 04:46 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  BTW, is this why ESPN is working overtime to please the ACC? Because in the not too distant future, other players might snag most of the other properties and ESPN may not have much else other than the SEC and ACC?

Wilner left the door open for content additions. Remember, the Big 10 and SEC will be renewing T1 contracts (Big 10 T2 as well). Content drives value for T1 contracts. So Oklahoma and Texas will still be sought.

But I do agree that if there are multiple bidders for these rights that it lessens the likelihood that we have movement. Nobody wants to share more with another. But content multiplying additions will be huge moving forward because content is the safest bet under any new pay model.

I think the question on OU and UT will be how much money and security can they find in the Big 12?

If other players come along and dump a bunch of cash on the Big 12 then do they take what they've got rather than seeking out a new normal?
06-19-2018 11:36 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas

Problem with the technology bidders is a large percentage of the older fanbase will not want to abandon cable and satellite setups to chase down streams of their games.

You are right that Improved their one content is a must for expansion in the next round and I believe greater flexibility in how conferences schedule and determine their conference champions will be need to facilitate that growth in member numbers.

Let’s look at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State moving to the SEC under the current NCAA requirements for round robin play within a division. The new SEC West could look like OU, OSU, A&M, Ark, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, and either Mizzou or Alabama. Many rivalries would be lost or eventually scheduled as nonconference games. Kinda ackward. The East would have tons or classic SEC rivalry games. Maybe that’s where the added value comes from in a new Teir 1 deal.

If we go past 14 members, it will be necessary to protect certain rivalries and then rotate through the rest of the conference teams within several years versus the current 6 years it takes now.
06-19-2018 11:41 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(06-19-2018 11:41 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Problem with the technology bidders is a large percentage of the older fanbase will not want to abandon cable and satellite setups to chase down streams of their games.

You are right that Improved their one content is a must for expansion in the next round and I believe greater flexibility in how conferences schedule and determine their conference champions will be need to facilitate that growth in member numbers.

Let’s look at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State moving to the SEC under the current NCAA requirements for round robin play within a division. The new SEC West could look like OU, OSU, A&M, Ark, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, and either Mizzou or Alabama. Many rivalries would be lost or eventually scheduled as nonconference games. Kinda ackward. The East would have tons or classic SEC rivalry games. Maybe that’s where the added value comes from in a new Teir 1 deal.

If we go past 14 members, it will be necessary to protect certain rivalries and then rotate through the rest of the conference teams within several years versus the current 6 years it takes now.

I think that's why ESPN could have an advantage. They can do both when not necessarily anyone else in the market could capitalize on both platforms.
06-19-2018 11:48 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-19-2018 11:48 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

I think that's why ESPN could have an advantage. They can do both when not necessarily anyone else in the market could capitalize on both platforms.

Flexibility of scheduling is a must, but one that could be overcome with 3 divisions which allows most minor sports to play home and homes within their division which saves on travel.

Money will help land Oklahoma and Texas, but including their favorite friends would nail it down.

It is why I've pushed 18 for such a long time. Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State would add immensely. Those two states of 32 million have viewer saturation numbers second only to the core of the SEC country.

With just those 4 schools look how much more regional T2 & T3 money we could pull in and with the branding of the UT and OU the SEC content would be through the roof. Then look at this year's softball and baseball tournament. Adding those 4 to the SEC would just make us that much more dominant in those sports. Toss in track & fiend and gymnastics and the dominance would be unparalleled. And ESPN would have plenty to sustain them throughout the year.

Then partner us with the ACC to keep money in the house so to speak and it just gets more lucrative.
06-20-2018 02:56 AM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(06-20-2018 02:56 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Flexibility of scheduling is a must, but one that could be overcome with 3 divisions which allows most minor sports to play home and homes within their division which saves on travel.

Money will help land Oklahoma and Texas, but including their favorite friends would nail it down.

It is why I've pushed 18 for such a long time. Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State would add immensely. Those two states of 32 million have viewer saturation numbers second only to the core of the SEC country.

With just those 4 schools look how much more regional T2 & T3 money we could pull in and with the branding of the UT and OU the SEC content would be through the roof. Then look at this year's softball and baseball tournament. Adding those 4 to the SEC would just make us that much more dominant in those sports. Toss in track & fiend and gymnastics and the dominance would be unparalleled. And ESPN would have plenty to sustain them throughout the year.

Then partner us with the ACC to keep money in the house so to speak and it just gets more lucrative.

SWD: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Missouri
SCD: A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Alabama, Vanderbilt
SED: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Auburn
06-20-2018 03:24 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-20-2018 03:24 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(06-20-2018 02:56 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-19-2018 05:27 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Wilner left the door open for content additions. Remember, the Big 10 and SEC will be renewing T1 contracts (Big 10 T2 as well). Content drives value for T1 contracts. So Oklahoma and Texas will still be sought.

SWD: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Missouri
SCD: A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Alabama, Vanderbilt
SED: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Auburn

Precisely! Look at the divisions. SWD has 3 brands: Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas all top brands of the old SWC/Big 8 with Oklahoma being the iconic one. And it has 3 potential contenders in Missouri, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech

SCD: Alabama, A&M & L.S.U. are the three brands here with Alabama being the iconic one. Ole Miss and Mississippi State are the contenders and Vanderbilt keeps it from being an impossible division.

SED: Florida, Georgia, Auburn and Tennessee are four schools who have all won national titles in the modern era, but none of them has been dominant. South Carolina has grown to be competitive with those 4 although not winning a national title. Kentucky keeps this division from being impossible. But having these schools together allows for 1 of them to mount a serious challenge on an annual basis without upsetting the path of more dominant programs like Alabama and Oklahoma until the conference playoffs.

IMO this exact arrangement provides the networks with blue blood national appeal programs and the most likely historic spoilers of those two with key games in every division every week. And the annual dogfight for the championship of the East would be epic.
06-20-2018 11:28 AM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
If there is tech companies jumping in at the next negotiations I think its less likely to see the idea of either the B1G or SEC carving off just the cream of the crop and leaving no where for 4-6 programs to go. There are more distribution methods chasing more content not less and you just completely devalued the remaining league members as a league.

I think realignment is more likely as you have mentioned in the case where ESPN or FOX do a pre-emptive strike to consolidate content before techs can get involved in the next round of negotiations. Or if the techs are not ready by 2023, but even if the techs are not ready people will look to them in the future as bidding partners and won't be jumping at just any realignment.
06-20-2018 02:23 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-20-2018 02:23 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  If there is tech companies jumping in at the next negotiations I think its less likely to see the idea of either the B1G or SEC carving off just the cream of the crop and leaving no where for 4-6 programs to go. There are more distribution methods chasing more content not less and you just completely devalued the remaining league members as a league.

I think realignment is more likely as you have mentioned in the case where ESPN or FOX do a pre-emptive strike to consolidate content before techs can get involved in the next round of negotiations. Or if the techs are not ready by 2023, but even if the techs are not ready people will look to them in the future as bidding partners and won't be jumping at just any realignment.

It's hard to say what FOX will do. Disney up the offer to 71.3 billion today and FOX liked it. Now they could put that money to work in acquiring rights, or simply decide to sell FOX Sports, FS1 and FS2 (which Disney can't buy anyway). The global financial picture indicates that it might be a great time to maximize your cash and wait and Murdoch might be positioning to do just that. Disney stock is blue chip enough to satisfy his position and the new offer is half cash / half stock options.

Also there is no concrete evidence that Amazon and Facebook will pursue college sports. The pro sports market is much more easily sold to these companies because they produce their own product.

If anything happens to the Big 12 it will be because schools like Oklahoma (which announced today that they have nearly 1 Billion in operating debt which is costing a service payment of 70 million a year from their general budget and most of which is unfunded and which has hamstrung their projects and frozen their faculty raises for years) just might be feeling the pressure to grab more cash from anywhere as quickly as is practical.

That tells me that those networks already motivated to lock up rights may have to move more quickly to land them. If the Disney deal goes through they will be picking up the T3 rights of the Sooners. They already have the rights for Kansas and Texas's T3. Buying out the FOX portion of the Big 12's remaining contract then is small potatoes and they wouldn't even have to buy them out but rather sublet 50% of them to FOX and pick up the option after the current contract period.

Therefore expanding the SEC and ACC prior to 2023 becomes easily doable, provided they place at least 8 of the 10 schools if not all of them.

I could see the ACC moving to 18 with Baylor, Texas Tech and Texas along with West Virginia leaving N.D. as the only independent.

Would the SEC be encouraged to pick up Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and T.C.U.? Maybe.

But that would be awkward and somewhat redundant. That's why I would be surprised to see a deal first offered back in 2010 utilized. At 18 schools the ACC really needs 6 out West not 3. At 20 they can cut that to 5.

So if the SEC finally picks up N.C. State and Virginia Tech to go along with the two Oklahoma schools and adds Kansas and T.C.U. to round out at 20.

Then the ACC can add Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State and Iowa State to the West, West Virginia, Notre Dame, and either Cincinnati or Connecticut to the East to round out at 20.

SEC:

Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, T.C.U.

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Texas A&M

Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Florida, Georgia, N.C. State, South Carolina, Virginia Tech

ACC:

Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas, Texas Tech

Boston College, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse

Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia

Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, Wake Forest

Now ESPN can partner those two conferences and max out on Football, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Track & Field, Gymnastics, and the country club sports for content.

They bundle the two networks, fold the LHN into it and max out the viewing boundaries of the two conferences. They also own the vast majority of the relevant rivalries in college football.

And if Oklahoma is hurting for cash, and they are, doing this early just got a helluva lot easier.
06-20-2018 02:52 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(06-20-2018 02:52 PM)JRsec Wrote:  ...if the SEC finally picks up N.C. State and Virginia Tech to go along with the two Oklahoma schools and adds Kansas and T.C.U. to round out at 20.

Then the ACC can add Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State and Iowa State to the West, West Virginia, Notre Dame, and either Cincinnati or Connecticut to the East to round out at 20.

SEC:

ACC:

Now ESPN can partner those two conferences and max out on Football, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Track & Field, Gymnastics, and the country club sports for content.

They bundle the two networks, fold the LHN into it and max out the viewing boundaries of the two conferences. They also own the vast majority of the relevant rivalries in college football.

And if Oklahoma is hurting for cash, and they are, doing this early just got a helluva lot easier.

As much as I strongly prefer keeping VT in the ACC (I actually like playing those old Big East teams!), that schedule (NC State, S Carolina, Georgia, Florida) wouldn't be horrible - especially if the Hokies could get Tennessee and Kentucky on a semi-annual basis. At least VT has SOME history with NC State and SC.

OTOH, what if the SEC took WVU and the ACC took TCU? Gives the SEC another market, gives the ACC another western team...

If this is going to be a brokered deal anyway, perhaps the best solution is for the ACC to take OU/OSU/TCU/Baylor and let the SEC take Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas and WVU?
06-21-2018 07:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-21-2018 07:00 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(06-20-2018 02:52 PM)JRsec Wrote:  ...if the SEC finally picks up N.C. State and Virginia Tech to go along with the two Oklahoma schools and adds Kansas and T.C.U. to round out at 20.

SEC:

ACC:

As much as I strongly prefer keeping VT in the ACC (I actually like playing those old Big East teams!), that schedule (NC State, S Carolina, Georgia, Florida) wouldn't be horrible - especially if the Hokies could get Tennessee and Kentucky on a semi-annual basis. At least VT has SOME history with NC State and SC.

OTOH, what if the SEC took WVU and the ACC took TCU? Gives the SEC another market, gives the ACC another western team...

If this is going to be a brokered deal anyway, perhaps the best solution is for the ACC to take OU/OSU/TCU/Baylor and let the SEC take Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas and WVU?

Either of those would or could work. But in this kind of brokered division of the Big 12 A&M might well have more of a say. I guess we would find out then just how different their administrations view of having Texas back would differ from that of their fans.

BTW: The Supreme Court ruled today that States have a right to force internet companies to collect sales taxes. This is going to curtail advantages that the FAANG companies have had over retail outlets and Mom & Pop. It will help all of our local economies and eliminate an unfair advantage.

It also means that the Amazon's of the world will be rethinking a great many things by 2023 and it could be a big relief to ESPN. Which means could mean that with the acquisition of the FOX properties ESPN could push ahead on acquiring college sports rights and that they certainly might be better positioned to simply cherry pick the Big 12 if there is less competition for product. Of course less competition will curtail some of the thinking that sports rights will accelerate in value. I think this means they will continue to incrementally increase and that there will be no big escalation due to the FAANG companies getting into streaming.
06-21-2018 10:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.